Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 vs Sims 4

Comments

• AmberSimmyAmberSimmy Posts: 38 Member
    I love all the games they're all fun in they're own way.
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    I agree, they all offer something different. Sims 2 is my favourite though, I have no cc or mods and its still a great game I never get bored of it. I am really starting to love sims 3 now I have added mods and I think sims 4 has potential but is not quite there yet although I think it was a mistake not including create a world.
  • RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    Sims 2 hands down. Sims 4 to me is like a cheap knock off imitation of S2 and everything is done to an inferior standard, despite the graphics being better. Apartments are a key example here. The sims themselves in S4 are shallow and lacking and the emotions don't work very well, as they override the unique characteristics of each sim. The sims in S2 were far more sophisticated and the whole game just felt more sophisticated tbf. The sims' personalities made more of an impact on the game and felt very individual, and the emotions were far more subtle and therefore more realistic. They reacted to life events in the way we'd expect, not like S4 where if someone dies or their partner cheats in front of them, they don't really react to it. If someone dies in S2 the sim is distraught and will cry and mourn for ages after the person died. If someone cheats, then the partner gets a memory and is angry with the cheating partner for ages (the red filter over the sim's picture in the relationships panel), and the relationship has serious damage dealt to it. And there's the little things they added such as when a child sees its parents argue, it runs to its room and cries, and then one of the parents comes to comfort it. It's all the things like that that really add to the depth of S2, and that are completely missing in S4. And there's also the fairly big aspects of the base game that were removed, such as NPCs (burglar, fireman, policeman, repoman etc), toddlers (they're back now but they should've been in the base game), car and bus to work/school. All of this being missing just makes S4 so boring to play. And the whole game engine is just less sophisticated in general and very buggy. S2 base game and packs never had the same issues that S4 does. I don't remember there being any bugs tbh.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    RnM92 wrote: »
    Sims 2 hands down. Sims 4 to me is like a cheap knock off imitation of S2 and everything is done to an inferior standard, despite the graphics being better. Apartments are a key example here. The sims themselves in S4 are shallow and lacking and the emotions don't work very well, as they override the unique characteristics of each sim. The sims in S2 were far more sophisticated and the whole game just felt more sophisticated tbf. The sims' personalities made more of an impact on the game and felt very individual, and the emotions were far more subtle and therefore more realistic. They reacted to life events in the way we'd expect, not like S4 where if someone dies or their partner cheats in front of them, they don't really react to it. If someone dies in S2 the sim is distraught and will cry and mourn for ages after the person died. If someone cheats, then the partner gets a memory and is angry with the cheating partner for ages (the red filter over the sim's picture in the relationships panel), and the relationship has serious damage dealt to it. And there's the little things they added such as when a child sees its parents argue, it runs to its room and cries, and then one of the parents comes to comfort it. It's all the things like that that really add to the depth of S2, and that are completely missing in S4. And there's also the fairly big aspects of the base game that were removed, such as NPCs (burglar, fireman, policeman, repoman etc), toddlers (they're back now but they should've been in the base game), car and bus to work/school. All of this being missing just makes S4 so boring to play. And the whole game engine is just less sophisticated in general and very buggy. S2 base game and packs never had the same issues that S4 does. I don't remember there being any bugs tbh.

There are bugs in Sims 2. I've experienced them. Save breaking bugs at that.

EA left in several things that could corrupt a neighborhood and a few things that could corrupt the game.

The following causes neighborhood corruption:
    - The cheat deleteallcharacters
    - Deleting Sims from the Sim Bin (there's some disagreement on whether it's safe to delete Sims you created but never played or not)
    - Downloading and placing occupied lots.
    - Moving Sims from one neighborhood to another (corrupts both home neighborhood and new neighborhood)

The following causes game corruption:
    - Allowing Mrs. Crumplebottom to be bitten by a vampire. She's an object and not designed to be a vampire. It breaks the game if she's made into a vampire.
    - Messing with any of the object Sims outside of what the game's purpose for them is: Mrs. Crumplebottom, Grim Reaper, Therapist, etc. They're shared between neighborhoods. If you have to cheat to do it, it will break the game.

I had major problems due to neighborhood corruption that I was only able to get past due to THIRD PARTY software.

I had placed occupied lots down that I had downloaded off of the Exchange and I had deleted Sims that had been placed into the world right at the beginning of Generation C

I didn't make regular back ups. I didn't think it was necessary. If there were any game breaking bugs in Sims 1, I never experienced them. I was also new to computer gaming in general beyond educational games. I had been experiencing some minor glitches and thought I might have needed to reinstall at one point so I had taken a back up just in case before I tried some more drastic fixes. Which worked, but I didn't delete the back up. This was during the early part of Generation D growing up in an alphabet legacy. Generation D is all born and grown up and sent off to University. They had been played for a few semesters.

Then the first major blow up of my game since it was corrupted happened (I didn't realize it was due to neighborhood corruption until much later).

I loaded the lot and they're all standing by the mail box like I had just moved them into the dorm. I go, ok, game reset itself like it does after patches sometimes. Then I see two siblings do an interaction that should have succeeded based on where they were relationship wise. It was rejected. I then look at the relationship panel to make sure one had tanked the relationship for some reason. The Sim had forgotten their own parents and grandparents and forgotten their siblings (even the ones on the same dorm lot as them, I had split them up since at the time I couldn't deal with more than about 4 Sims in a dorm at a time). Then I notice their aspirations: They are all GROW UP. I think I had one listed as Family, but they weren't supposed to be a Family Sim. I then go to look at their memories and when I open up the personality tab, their personality is all: 0/0/0/0/0. This includes Stella Terrano (intended spouse for a spare), who does not have that personality. It's also impossible for any Sim made in CAS or born in game to have that personality without cheats. And I most certainly wouldn't have made all Sims have the same personality. I went back to my back up (and lost 3 of the 5 Sims that had been born that generation). That generation didn't go to University and marks the only time my legacy heirs and spares did not go to college.

Later on when Generation I was growing up, I had a couple of invisible Sims develop and a couple of graves mysteriously disappear (and I don't think they were kicked and then cleaned up by a maid). Those invisible Sims I could not even use boolprop cheats to kill. They were invincible and would do nothing. It was one of the Generation D Sims and his spouse (my Simself). In researching fixes, I realized my neighborhood was corrupt and that it was likely corruption that caused the major glitch during generation D.

So please don't say that there are no glitches in Sims 2. There are. The major ones that cause major problems are just better understood and therefore easier to avoid or mod away than they are for Sims 3 or Sims 4.

And everyone should learn from what happened with me: Take back ups. And have at least one that's not on the computer you play on. I also lucked out with an external back up when an old desktop died of hard drive failure. I'm really determined to one day finish the alphabet legacy due to the number of problems the game and computer have thrown at me.
  • RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    That does sound pretty bad I'll give you that. Maybe I was just lucky that I never really encountered any. There didn't seem to be many small bugs that constantly disrupted everyday gameplay though. With the Sims 4 it's a constant stream of bugs and glitches that are so frequent and disruptive that they're one reason I just can't play it anymore. For example, the speed keeps jumping backwards on ultra speed, when multitasking my sims take forever to do anything, when they make a meal they stand there for absolutely ages before eating it, the restaurants were so bad in terms of bugs that I only attempted to play them once or twice, when I sent my sim to a festival it completely froze and my sim and all the others just stood there until the festival area disappeared when the time ran out. When my sim went to have a baby at the hospital, for some reason when she was in the machine she got out again and then the doctor just stayed in the room and I couldn't get her to go back in and have the baby. I tried several times to get her to have the baby at the hospital but everytime it kept bugging out in a different way. And of course there's the famous relationship culling glitch that I am lucky enough not to have come up against. There are many more than these but I can't remember them all at the top of my head. The whole game system just feels fundamentally broken. That's what I mean about bugs. The Sims 2 might have had a few bad glitches like you describe, but it didn't have this constant disruptive annoyance everytime I tried to play.
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    RnM92 wrote: »
    That does sound pretty bad I'll give you that. Maybe I was just lucky that I never really encountered any. There didn't seem to be many small bugs that constantly disrupted everyday gameplay though. With the Sims 4 it's a constant stream of bugs and glitches that are so frequent and disruptive that they're one reason I just can't play it anymore. For example, the speed keeps jumping backwards on ultra speed, when multitasking my sims take forever to do anything, when they make a meal they stand there for absolutely ages before eating it, the restaurants were so bad in terms of bugs that I only attempted to play them once or twice, when I sent my sim to a festival it completely froze and my sim and all the others just stood there until the festival area disappeared when the time ran out. When my sim went to have a baby at the hospital, for some reason when she was in the machine she got out again and then the doctor just stayed in the room and I couldn't get her to go back in and have the baby. I tried several times to get her to have the baby at the hospital but everytime it kept bugging out in a different way. And of course there's the famous relationship culling glitch that I am lucky enough not to have come up against. There are many more than these but I can't remember them all at the top of my head. The whole game system just feels fundamentally broken. That's what I mean about bugs. The Sims 2 might have had a few bad glitches like you describe, but it didn't have this constant disruptive annoyance everytime I tried to play.

You were lucky, yes. Neighbourhood corruption is in fact very common (of course, not in custom neighbourhood) in maxis made neighbourhood, because they are corrupted in every game from the beginning. Even if you have just install the game and play for the first time in, lets say Veronaville, this neighbourhood is already corrupt and it's a ticking bomb.
  • xXUniqueOoxXUniqueOo Posts: 26 New Member
    Love them both and all of the series!
  • LyokoWarriorLyokoWarrior Posts: 8 New Member
    > @AmberSimmy said:
    > I love all the games they're all fun in they're own way.

This is me hands down but I guess if I had to choose a favorite it'd have to be either Sims 2 or Sims 3
  • FearlessButterflyFearlessButterfly Posts: 336 Member
    Its never safe to delete sims from the sim bin whether youve played them or not. Cause as soon as you delete them little bits of their data attaches itself to other sims which immediately corrupts the hood. So as soon as you delete them say bye bye to your hood.

• cazzapoocazzapoo Posts: 6 New Member
    Sim 2 is clearly the most realistic game compared to the others 3/4 they don't seam real, no charter i tried playing them but got board .For a start its hard to navigate the screen 'you cant make your own town or place houses where you want them to be 'customizing charters is difficult 'going to community is boring as there is very little to do there . :s
  • zobotxxzobotxx Posts: 10 New Member
    As a new sims player (Started to play when sims 4 came along), I have ts4 and ts2. I prefer ts2. I am new, so I have no nostalgia, so my 'charm' is definitely charm. I love how in ts2 when I make weird 'films' on cooking or something, they open cupboards to get knives and actually properly make the food. I like how there is a carpool every work day. I like the seasons and pets. Also, I absolutely love how I can plop down lots on my custom neighborhood. The soundtrack is just amazing (bobobobobobobob anyone? :)), and I like the university and the different vacations (Islands, woods etc). I love taking my sims to restaurants, and shopping. I like going to H&M with my toddler, and leaving my husband at home, and never coming back.

Those are some of my favorite things to do in ts2, but what about ts4?

Well, they put dlc out for dlc, and since I have Cats and Dogs, I feel like I don't have the full experience. When sims cook they magically get knives out of the air. :/ I must admit, the 'tricks' in the kitchen are pretty cool (and the slip ups), but once you've seen them, you've seen them. Stuff like that should make me go back. But no. No carpool. No cars. EA, I know that no open world to you means no cars, but in sims 2 there was no open world, but you could get a car? No seasons, custom neighborhood or university. Pets are really good in ts4, but pets won't make me come back to play at all. Soundtrack is meh, I wouldn't listen to it in my own time. Only vacations are A JUNGLE OR THE WOODS!!! WHAT IF I WANT A ROMANTIC HONEYMOON IN A FLASH HOTEL??????? I HAVE TO GO TO THE WOODS FULL OF BUGS!! I loved ts2 vacations because no matter why you wanted a vacation, it could be an adventure, holiday, honeymoon or whatever, there was something for everyone. EVEN A JAPANESE VILLAGE!!! Sims 4 restaurants are cool I guess. In ts2 you had to go grocery shopping, and if you wanted new clothes you had to buy them. Ughhhhh.

In conclusion, I am a new sims player who prefers ts2 over 4.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    zobotxx wrote: »
    As a new sims player (Started to play when sims 4 came along), I have ts4 and ts2. I prefer ts2. I am new, so I have no nostalgia, so my 'charm' is definitely charm. I love how in ts2 when I make weird 'films' on cooking or something, they open cupboards to get knives and actually properly make the food. I like how there is a carpool every work day. I like the seasons and pets. Also, I absolutely love how I can plop down lots on my custom neighborhood. The soundtrack is just amazing (bobobobobobobob anyone? :)), and I like the university and the different vacations (Islands, woods etc). I love taking my sims to restaurants, and shopping. I like going to H&M with my toddler, and leaving my husband at home, and never coming back.

Those are some of my favorite things to do in ts2, but what about ts4?

Well, they put dlc out for dlc, and since I have Cats and Dogs, I feel like I don't have the full experience. When sims cook they magically get knives out of the air. :/ I must admit, the 'tricks' in the kitchen are pretty cool (and the slip ups), but once you've seen them, you've seen them. Stuff like that should make me go back. But no. No carpool. No cars. EA, I know that no open world to you means no cars, but in sims 2 there was no open world, but you could get a car? No seasons, custom neighborhood or university. Pets are really good in ts4, but pets won't make me come back to play at all. Soundtrack is meh, I wouldn't listen to it in my own time. Only vacations are A JUNGLE OR THE WOODS!!! WHAT IF I WANT A ROMANTIC HONEYMOON IN A FLASH HOTEL??????? I HAVE TO GO TO THE WOODS FULL OF BUGS!! I loved ts2 vacations because no matter why you wanted a vacation, it could be an adventure, holiday, honeymoon or whatever, there was something for everyone. EVEN A JAPANESE VILLAGE!!! Sims 4 restaurants are cool I guess. In ts2 you had to go grocery shopping, and if you wanted new clothes you had to buy them. Ughhhhh.

In conclusion, I am a new sims player who prefers ts2 over 4.
    That's really interesting to read, seeing a new player stating this. Undermines the 'nostalgia' myth ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sims2forlife367Sims2forlife367 Posts: 3 New Member
    In my Opinion i started playing The Sims 2 when i was 5 so it was basically my childhood game i'd say it runs faster then the sims 2 with CC I think Sims 2 is the BEST by far they have mods other Sims Games dont it is Great No Offence to people who love sims 4
  • Sims2forlife367Sims2forlife367 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Dan1el1996 said:
    > daltondoug wrote: »
    >
    > Dan1el1996 wrote: »
    >
    > hmm ... I think it's a bit silly to compare The Sims 4 with The Sims 2, because TS2 is 10 years old and the technology was not quite like that is now!
    >
    > I know it's a bit stupid to compare TS4 with TS3, but it is the most natural to do!
    >
    > anyway I feel that TS2 is better than TS4, because to be 10 years old, I still play it!
    > TS4 missing so much awesome features!
    > Like pools, family tree, todlers, cars (work cars was awesome!!), and services! TS2 had charm, something TS4 is missing!
    >
    > I'm not saying TS4 was bad, but missing things to make it really fun!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think the charm is there; it's just the features that are missing, lol
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No, let's just start with the pre-made families! TS2 had all named after their 'roots', but in TS4, they changed the name from plum Caliente (mother to Dina and Nina Caliente) to Katrina?
    >
    > I feel that the little things that gave TS2 charm is gone in TS4!

Now i go along with that why did they change Dina and Nina's Mom's name Ts4 dont have most of the features sims 2 does like come on the sims 2 features are by far the best out of the series like the makeout on the couch is really like more real the other series it doesnt even look like a makeout on sims 3 and 4 i choose Sims 2
  • ShaeShae Posts: 303 Member
    If EA were to combine the graphics and overall look of Sims 4, with the open world of Sims 3, and the A.I. sim personalities of Sims 2 - it would be an almost perfect game. They have the opportunity to do this with The Sims 5 (IF there will ever be a sims 5).
    Just a visually impaired gamer who enjoys taking ordinary Sims and making them extraordinary.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WbRQP-PXDpA
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    edited April 2018
    I despise the look of TS4 Sims and their world. The light, the blurriness, the over saturation - it depresses me to see a Sims game.

I want a game with balance in the look- not goofy like TS4 and not too serious like TS3. A balance of light and dark without *going so much for a cartoon look.

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I despise the look of TS4 Sims and their world. The light, the blurriness, the over saturation - it depresses me to see a Sims game.

I want a game with balance in the look- not goofy like TS4 and not too serious like TS3. A balance of light and dark without *going so much for a cartoon look.

Agreed. I can't stand the look of 4 either. It makes me think I am watching a Saturday morning cartoon. Something in-between cartoon and serious would be great.
    JULES1111 wrote: »

Agreed. I can't stand the look of 4 either. It makes me think I am watching a Saturday morning cartoon. Something in-between cartoon and serious would be great.

I use mods to get rid of that goofy (cartoonish) look. Also with the addition of CC and other mods that tweak the look (and graphics) of the game like Reshader, plus running it on ultra does wonders. You can have an awesome looking Sims 4 game if you know how to tweak it just right.

However, the goal is to have a good looking game from the start without all of the addons, so maybe EA will eventually get around to making such a version of The Sims.

One day.
    Just a visually impaired gamer who enjoys taking ordinary Sims and making them extraordinary.

• WinthorpeWinthorpe Posts: 119 Member
    Sims 4 is great in terms of graphics and the character design. However, it doesn't come with full flexibility on open-world (i.e. outside the lot) which is uneditable, some townies left garbages on the ground and it looks untidy (this can be of course mitigated by using the MCCommand Centre...) . My suggestion on Sims 4 is to add an option to edit the open-world area (in separation from lot editor).
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Shae wrote: »
    If EA were to combine the graphics and overall look of Sims 4, with the open world of Sims 3, and the A.I. sim personalities of Sims 2 - it would be an almost perfect game. They have the opportunity to do this with The Sims 5 (IF there will ever be a sims 5).

This is where I'm at. I don't mind the over the top cartoony look of TS4, it can be modded to look very different just like every other version of the game. I just think it looks pretty vibrant and I like it...but I have also made really urban looking neighborhoods, too. Plus the sim creator is top notch with the push and pull design.

I'd love a game with TS2 sims (personalities, interests/hobbies, actual simulations), the explorable world from TS3 (but being able to add on with expansions instead of starting over every time), and a few features from TS4 (some building tools like the make bigger/smaller, move up and down, the cornices that work like fences, hats and hair, pants in boots, stuff like that). That would be my perfect game.

But for now, TS2 is where it's at because at the end of the day, it's always going to be about the sims themselves for me.
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    This is where I'm at. I don't mind the over the top cartoony look of TS4, it can be modded to look very different just like every other version of the game.

Exactly! I tend to mod all of my games and use a ton of CC anyway - T4 is no different. So the whole "cartoony" look isn't even an issue in my game.
    I just think it looks pretty vibrant and I like it...but I have also made really urban looking neighborhoods, too. Plus the sim creator is top notch with the push and pull design.

You play urban hoods as well? So do I! :) I think doing so adds a much needed level of grittiness and realness to the game.
    I'd love a game with TS2 sims (personalities, interests/hobbies, actual simulations), the explorable world from TS3 (but being able to add on with expansions instead of starting over every time), and a few features from TS4 (some building tools like the make bigger/smaller, move up and down, the cornices that work like fences, hats and hair, pants in boots, stuff like that). That would be my perfect game.

But for now, TS2 is where it's at because at the end of the day, it's always going to be about the sims themselves for me.

I totally agree with all of this, very well said.

edited April 2018
    Well, it's an issue for me since I use Mods to fix issues (annoyances) and expand my game. I'm not an Huge CC user. :lol:
    I don't have an newer computer- it's over 5 years old. :lol:
    I'm not in the 1% group (I'm exaggerating the number ;) ) who has to have the newest, or can afford the newest/better setup.

TS2 gave the ability to make our own skins and modify the clothes to a certain level- TS4 sells bits and pieces. I don't enjoy the limit of it all. CAS annoys me with having to have the preset eyes to get to a certain look. Being able to make big calves on a Sim is not important to me as being able to make a pond or choose the look of my neighborhoods. TS4 is not inspiring to play. Once I put it away I haven't had an urge to play it no matter the amount of CC.
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
    I totally understand not wanting too much CC or not wanting to upgrade the computer. They're not cheap - and thanks to those darn cryptocurrencies, they aren't getting any cheaper!

There are things people like and don't about each version. But to be honest, the look of the game is one thing that I know can be easily changed. Sometimes I see a picture and I literally have no idea which version of the game it's from. Haha

Like this one...I totally thought it was TS3, nope, it's 4.

tw5FLs1.png
    I totally understand not wanting too much CC or not wanting to upgrade the computer. They're not cheap - and thanks to those darn cryptocurrencies, they aren't getting any cheaper!

There are things people like and don't about each version. But to be honest, the look of the game is one thing that I know can be easily changed. Sometimes I see a picture and I literally have no idea which version of the game it's from. Haha

tw5FLs1.png

You can make TS2 look like that- it's the whole package and with TS4- I can't take those Sims of TS4. If I can make TS2 look like that, why should I move forward? :(
    I was very sad about it for the longest- no new expansions to look forward too; not enjoying the build mode like I thought I would in TS4... After all these years, I've been left behind by the game I used to love. Oh, well... I still have other games. /end sarcasm -cause I don't. :lol:

I used to look forward to getting a new computer for the Sims series... now there's no reason. The newer game isn't fun, the Sims annoy me with their movements and actions and, the whole thing just makes me cringe, really.

tw5FLs1.png

You can make TS2 look like that- it's the whole package and with TS4- I can't take those Sims of TS4. If I can make TS2 look like that, why should I move forward? :(
    I was very sad about it for the longest- no new expansions to look forward too; not enjoying the build mode like I thought I would in TS4... After all these years, I've been left behind by the game I used to love. Oh, well... I still have other games. /end sarcasm -cause I don't. :lol:

I used to look forward to getting a new computer for the Sims series... now there's no reason. The newer game isn't fun, the Sims annoy me with their movements and actions and, the whole thing just makes me cringe, really.

Hahaha...actually I completely agree with you there! I do not like TS4 at all. I do like building in some ways because some of the objects and features, but I would rather use TS2 or TS3 because of the capabilities to make things my way.

The sims annoy the heck out of me in TS4. I wouldn't mind the game so much, but the sims ruin it because they were an afterthought...and I'm pretty sure this is called the sims...not the sims world...we have SimCity for that! The devs are now catering to the mobile/YouTube crowd. Oh well...as long as TS2 runs, I'll be fine!