Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strange Error Occurring

Comments

• AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    edited March 2014
    Or just press and hold the Esc-key while the plumbbop-logo is spinning. It will skip the intro movie entirely, not even starting the whole thing. Release when the load screen shows.
  • TalenAngryTalenAngry Posts: 12 New Member
    edited March 2014
    this is my iMac:
    Procesador 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memoria 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Gráficos NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB

So i’dont know what is this problem in the game.?

problemassims31_zps0d55610f.png

problemasims32_zpsf4acbc37.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited March 2014
    What graphics settings are you running on? Low, medium, high? Do you use CC or mods? What version are you patched up to?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • TalenAngryTalenAngry Posts: 12 New Member
    edited March 2014
    My setting Medium and High. I don’t use mods. Partched 1.67. :(

Gráficos NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
  • laurak23laurak23 Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    Ashpeef wrote:
    First a general warning: never publish the address data of your ports, as a meanie might be able to misuse that info to break into your system. So, edit out the IP address etc. at the end of your post in the line starting with 'Airport' (the numbers 0x... and 5.106...)

Now for your problem:
    It's probably the Launcher that crashes at the time it hands over control to the game itself. You could try starting the game directly, bypassing the Launcher. Here's how (also a rather long story, I'm afraid...) :lol:

- Within your Applications folder, locate and open the folder The Sims 3
    - Find the application The Sims 3.app, then right click (or hold the Control key and click if you can't right click) to get the context menu.
    - In that menu, select Show Package Contents. A new window opens with only one item: the folder Contents
    - Within that folder there is a file info.plist (usually the second item)
    - Right or Control click that file for the context menu and there select Open With
    - You'll probably have to scroll down almost to the bottom of the list to find TextEdit.app. Use that program to open the file.
    - Now the real thing: locate the line <key>CedegaGameName</key> about ⅔ down. Note: not the one just above it with CedegaGameDir!
    - The next line should end ...Bin/S3Launcher.exe</string>
    - Change S3Launcher.exe to TS3W.exe and save the file.
    The next time you start the game, it should begin straight away with the EA and Maxis logos.

If you later on want to start with the Launcher again, just do the same thing, this time changing TS3W.exe back into S3Launcher.exe

Hope this works for you.

PS: you have to have the proper rights to make this edit. If the system complains about that, make sure you do have those, or find someone who has.

Edit (because I just saw the post that was send while I was writing mine): this problem has nothing to do with 1.63. It is much older.

Edit again to add:
    For those who want to make the switch repeatedly, here's a simple way to minimise the hassle:
    - next time you want to switch, find the file info.plist as described
    - at the point where you select TextEdit to open the file, look at the bottom of the window: there's an option 'Always Open With'. Select it and it will get its box checked. From now on, double clicking the file opens it in TextEdit without further ado
    - to make things easier yet: make an alias from/for the file and drag that to a convenient place -- mine went into the folder Documents/Electronic Arts/ as that would be open anyway anytime I play The Sims.

From hereon after, all you have to do is: simply double click the alias, make the change, save and quit TextEdit.

Thanks for helping me bypass the launcher! However, I'm still having an issue. I keep getting an error that tells me it can't find the game disc. I JUST installed the game (TS3 and TS3 Pets), so I know the drive is working and can read the disc. I'm not sure what to do about this. I've tried the troubleshooting info on the main website, but no dice. I'm running a new MacBook Air, with an external DVD drive. I didn't have any problems when I played with these discs on my Windows laptop. I had the same error before I installed the Pets, hoping that it might fix it. One thing I haven't tried is a complete uninstall and reinstall...I was hoping to avoid that, since I haven't even successfully opened/played the game at all! :(
  • RHGandSLK4everRHGandSLK4ever Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Ashpeef said:
    > First a general warning: never publish the address data of your ports, as a meanie might be able to misuse that info to break into your system. So, edit out the IP address etc. at the end of your post in the line starting with 'Airport' (the numbers 0x... and 5.106...)
    >
    > Now for your problem:
    > It's probably the Launcher that crashes at the time it hands over control to the game itself. You could try starting the game directly, bypassing the Launcher. Here's how (also a rather long story, I'm afraid...) :lol:
    >
    > - Within your Applications folder, locate and open the folder The Sims 3
    > - Find the application The Sims 3.app, then right click (or hold the Control key and click if you can't right click) to get the context menu.
    > - In that menu, select Show Package Contents. A new window opens with only one item: the folder Contents
    > - Within that folder there is a file info.plist (usually the second item)
    > - Right or Control click that file for the context menu and there select Open With
    > - You'll probably have to scroll down almost to the bottom of the list to find TextEdit.app. Use that program to open the file.
    > - Now the real thing: locate the line <key>CedegaGameName</key> about ⅔ down. Note: not the one just above it with CedegaGameDir!
    > - The next line should end ...Bin/S3Launcher.exe</string>
    > - Change S3Launcher.exe to TS3W.exe and save the file.
    > The next time you start the game, it should begin straight away with the EA and Maxis logos.
    >
    > If you later on want to start with the Launcher again, just do the same thing, this time changing TS3W.exe back into S3Launcher.exe
    >
    > Hope this works for you.
    >
    > PS: you have to have the proper rights to make this edit. If the system complains about that, make sure you do have those, or find someone who has.
    >
    > Edit (because I just saw the post that was send while I was writing mine): this problem has nothing to do with 1.63. It is much older.
    >
    > Edit again to add:
    > For those who want to make the switch repeatedly, here's a simple way to minimise the hassle:
    > - next time you want to switch, find the file info.plist as described
    > - at the point where you select TextEdit to open the file, look at the bottom of the window: there's an option 'Always Open With'. Select it and it will get its box checked. From now on, double clicking the file opens it in TextEdit without further ado
    > - to make things easier yet: make an alias from/for the file and drag that to a convenient place -- mine went into the folder Documents/Electronic Arts/ as that would be open anyway anytime I play The Sims.
    >
    > From hereon after, all you have to do is: simply double click the alias, make the change, save and quit TextEdit.

Still doesn't open for me :'( I tried both solutions on this thread now... any other ideas?
    @RHGandSLK4ever: There are three reasons I can think of why it wouldn't work.

1) Your Sims 3 BaseGame disk is too recent (i.e. 2012 or later) -- from that time on EA forced everyone to use both Origin and the Launcher, no way around it as far as I know.
    2) Your Sims 3 BaseGame is installed from an Origin download. Same results as above.
    3) You let EA update your Origin recently (November 12 or later) -- it now states to be version 1.69. Basically same results as above; however in this case you might be able to undo the damage by uninstalling the game, re-installing from the old disk and using the super patcher to 1.67 to update to the previous patch level -- first remove the checkmarks for auto-update games in both Origin and the Launcher and don't let the Launcher do the update!
  • RHGandSLK4everRHGandSLK4ever Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Ashpeef said:
    > @RHGandSLK4ever: There are three reasons I can think of why it wouldn't work.
    >
    > 1) Your Sims 3 BaseGame disk is too recent (i.e. 2012 or later) -- from that time on EA forced everyone to use both Origin and the Launcher, no way around it as far as I know.
    > 2) Your Sims 3 BaseGame is installed from an Origin download. Same results as above.
    > 3) You let EA update your Origin recently (November 12 or later) -- it now states to be version 1.69. Basically same results as above; however in this case you might be able to undo the damage by uninstalling the game, re-installing from the old disk and using the super patcher to 1.67 to update to the previous patch level -- first remove the checkmarks for auto-update games in both Origin and the Launcher and don't let the Launcher do the update!

I can't seem to locate my original disk :/ which is why I downloaded from origin. Can EA just give me sims 4 for free because of all my trouble? I think that's fair. :smile: Also to anyone else with the issue of course.
  • MaezieMaezie Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! Thanks for all of your help.
    I changed the coding like you said, but that didn't resolve my original problem of my game getting stuck on the green plumbob with the blue background-- so not even technically in the game yet.
    I have a 12-inch, early 2015 Macbook. with a 1.2 GHz Intel Core M processor. I looked over the macs that you guys said wouldn't operate properly, but I didn't see this one listed.
    What should I do?
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Maezie wrote: »
    I changed the coding like you said, but that didn't resolve my original problem of my game getting stuck on the green plumbob with the blue background-- so not even technically in the game yet.
    I have a 12-inch, early 2015 Macbook. with a 1.2 GHz Intel Core M processor. I looked over the macs that you guys said wouldn't operate properly, but I didn't see this one listed.
    What should I do?

Is it the fanless Macbook?
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The only CPU that I could find is on the fanless Macbook.

I highly recommend that you do not play any games on it; you'll end up frying it or damaging the hardware because it does not have any proper cooling when it comes to games.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited November 2015
    What should I do?

Yours isn't listed because your Mac is very new, but none of the Retina display Macs are supported. The step a lot of people seem to miss is getting the model identifier number. The complete instructions are here, just remember that you need to find the model identifier number for your Mac when you edit the graphics files.

Just out of curiosity, how much of the game were you planning on installing? Keep in mind that the MacBook Air, which is more powerful than your MacBook, can only run the base game and maybe an EP or two discounting Pets and Seasons. You might not be able to get anything more than the base game alone to work.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited November 2015
    What should I do?

The game is not compatible on your MacBook because the graphics card is not supported.

Edit - @tamalinn beat me to it :)

apple-signature.png
  • pufcthe1975pufcthe1975 Posts: 1 New Member
    Do people still check this forum? I really need some help!
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member

Yes. Have you read any of the help threads at all? Many have had replies in the past few hours.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member

Have you read the "Mac User's Best Friend" stickied at the top of this section of the forum? If not, it is an excellent place to start looking for a solution to your problem and then if you don't find your answers there you can either search the first few pages of this topic or start a new thread if you haven't found one that covers your needs.

Anyway, Happy Simming. :)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • bhedlund50bhedlund50 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I did this about a month ago and it worked, then I didn't play for a couple weeks and it stopped working (the launcher is back and I can't play the game again). I'm trying to redo the process but when I get to the "show package contents" step, there is no option to show package contents. The options are
    - open in new tab
    - move to trash
    - get info
    - rename
    - compress the sims 3
    - burn the sims 3 to disc...
    - duplicate
    - make alias
    - quick look the sims 3
    - copy the sims 3
    - show view options
    - tags
    - folder actions setup
    - reveal in finder
    - open

I don't remember how it worked first time, but I'm pretty sure there used to be the show package contents option.
    Hope this was enough info!
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    bhedlund50 wrote: »
    Hi, I did this about a month ago and it worked, then I didn't play for a couple weeks and it stopped working (the launcher is back and I can't play the game again). I'm trying to redo the process but when I get to the "show package contents" step, there is no option to show package contents. The options are
    - open in new tab
    - move to trash
    - get info
    - rename
    - compress the sims 3
    - burn the sims 3 to disc...
    - duplicate
    - make alias
    - quick look the sims 3
    - copy the sims 3
    - show view options
    - tags
    - folder actions setup
    - reveal in finder
    - open

I don't remember how it worked first time, but I'm pretty sure there used to be the show package contents option.
    Hope this was enough info!

Because you're not doing it correctly. You should right click on the base game WITHIN the Sims 3 folder in your Applications folder, not the Sims 3 folder itself. It's really important to follow file paths correctly when attempting to follow instructions.

apple-signature.png
  • mishapocolypsemishapocolypse Posts: 1 New Member
    Ashpeef wrote: »
    First a general warning: never publish the address data of your ports, as a meanie might be able to misuse that info to break into your system. So, edit out the IP address etc. at the end of your post in the line starting with 'Airport' (the numbers 0x... and 5.106...)

Now for your problem:
    It's probably the Launcher that crashes at the time it hands over control to the game itself. You could try starting the game directly, bypassing the Launcher. Here's how (also a rather long story, I'm afraid...) :lol:

- Within your Applications folder, locate and open the folder The Sims 3
    - Find the application The Sims 3.app, then right click (or hold the Control key and click if you can't right click) to get the context menu.
    - In that menu, select Show Package Contents. A new window opens with only one item: the folder Contents
    - Within that folder there is a file info.plist (usually the second item)
    - Right or Control click that file for the context menu and there select Open With
    - You'll probably have to scroll down almost to the bottom of the list to find TextEdit.app. Use that program to open the file.
    - Now the real thing: locate the line <key>CedegaGameName</key> about ⅔ down. Note: not the one just above it with CedegaGameDir!
    - The next line should end ...Bin/S3Launcher.exe</string>
    - Change S3Launcher.exe to TS3W.exe and save the file.
    The next time you start the game, it should begin straight away with the EA and Maxis logos.

If you later on want to start with the Launcher again, just do the same thing, this time changing TS3W.exe back into S3Launcher.exe

Hope this works for you.

PS: you have to have the proper rights to make this edit. If the system complains about that, make sure you do have those, or find someone who has.

Edit (because I just saw the post that was send while I was writing mine): this problem has nothing to do with 1.63. It is much older.

Edit again to add:
    For those who want to make the switch repeatedly, here's a simple way to minimise the hassle:
    - next time you want to switch, find the file info.plist as described
    - at the point where you select TextEdit to open the file, look at the bottom of the window: there's an option 'Always Open With'. Select it and it will get its box checked. From now on, double clicking the file opens it in TextEdit without further ado
    - to make things easier yet: make an alias from/for the file and drag that to a convenient place -- mine went into the folder Documents/Electronic Arts/ as that would be open anyway anytime I play The Sims.

From hereon after, all you have to do is: simply double click the alias, make the change, save and quit TextEdit.

At first my issue was that when trying to launch my game I would get the "Unknown Error Occurred." But after following your instructions the window opened to the plumbob with a blue background (the plumbob wasn't spinning) until I got a new error message. It said:
    "Unable to Start Game
    Service initialization failed (0x0175dcbb)"
    Your only option is to press "Okay" and it exits.

Not sure what I should do now, any advice would be helpful!!

@mishapocalypse

That sometimes happens when the game is not properly / really closed, most often when you try to restart after a previous crash. Try the "Windows-remedy": restart your Mac to make sure there's no ghost of the crashed game swerving around somewhere.

If that doesn't help, I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to help you, as this error message in itself is quite unhelpful in it's wording. :s
  • Lyshy17Lyshy17 Posts: 1 New Member
    Can I just say that I have been having issues with it not loading for YEARS and I tried this and it WORKED! Thank you so much!!

> @Ashpeef said:
    > First a general warning: never publish the address data of your ports, as a meanie might be able to misuse that info to break into your system. So, edit out the IP address etc. at the end of your post in the line starting with 'Airport' (the numbers 0x... and 5.106...)
    >
    > Now for your problem:
    > It's probably the Launcher that crashes at the time it hands over control to the game itself. You could try starting the game directly, bypassing the Launcher. Here's how (also a rather long story, I'm afraid...) :lol:
    >
    > - Within your Applications folder, locate and open the folder The Sims 3
    > - Find the application The Sims 3.app, then right click (or hold the Control key and click if you can't right click) to get the context menu.
    > - In that menu, select Show Package Contents. A new window opens with only one item: the folder Contents
    > - Within that folder there is a file info.plist (usually the second item)
    > - Right or Control click that file for the context menu and there select Open With
    > - You'll probably have to scroll down almost to the bottom of the list to find TextEdit.app. Use that program to open the file.
    > - Now the real thing: locate the line CedegaGameName about ⅔ down. Note: not the one just above it with CedegaGameDir!
    > - The next line should end ...Bin/S3Launcher.exe
    > - Change S3Launcher.exe to TS3W.exe and save the file.
    > The next time you start the game, it should begin straight away with the EA and Maxis logos.
    >
    > If you later on want to start with the Launcher again, just do the same thing, this time changing TS3W.exe back into S3Launcher.exe
    >
    > Hope this works for you.
    >
    > PS: you have to have the proper rights to make this edit. If the system complains about that, make sure you do have those, or find someone who has.
    >
    > Edit (because I just saw the post that was send while I was writing mine): this problem has nothing to do with 1.63. It is much older.
    >
    > Edit again to add:
    > For those who want to make the switch repeatedly, here's a simple way to minimise the hassle:
    > - next time you want to switch, find the file info.plist as described
    > - at the point where you select TextEdit to open the file, look at the bottom of the window: there's an option 'Always Open With'. Select it and it will get its box checked. From now on, double clicking the file opens it in TextEdit without further ado
    > - to make things easier yet: make an alias from/for the file and drag that to a convenient place -- mine went into the folder Documents/Electronic Arts/ as that would be open anyway anytime I play The Sims.
    >
    > From hereon after, all you have to do is: simply double click the alias, make the change, save and quit TextEdit.
  • ElsieSimmingElsieSimming Posts: 2 New Member
    I recently updated my Mac to macOS High Sierra (version 10.13.4). Before I updated my computer, I played sims like nothing was wrong. As soon as I updated it, it said there was no disc even though there was one. So I searched up some videos and I uninstalled all my expansion packs (Generations, Seasons, and The High End Loft Stuff pack). I also went into the info.plist and changed it to "<string>C:\Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game/Bin/TS3W.exe</string>". Basically, whats happening is, if I open up the launcher or skip the launcher and jump right to the game, I get stuck on the start screen for about 4 min and then theres a black screen as if its going to start soon and it stays like that. I've waited 30 minutes already and nothing is happening. I can move my mouse around, pause and play spotify, but I can't get out of the window so I've had to force my computer to turn off by unplugging it from the wall. Please help, I really want to play sims (and I'm already on my 5th generation in one of my worlds :( )

Btw, My sims game is on patch 1.67.
  • ElsieSimmingElsieSimming Posts: 2 New Member
    Does anyone check this forum anymore? The last thing posted was in June 2017 and its April 2018. Oh, I hope someone can help me :neutral:
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited April 2018
    @ElsieSimming Yes, people still check this forum, and some of them even know how to help (not me though, I just parrot what the real experts have said elsewhere). But it would be best if you posted your computer's specs, not just the OS, as some systems will require more tweaking than others.

I think that the newest mac OS versions will fail to authenticate a TS3 disc, even if there's otherwise nothing wrong with the installation. If your game and packs are registered to your EA account, you could install through Origin instead (for free) and wouldn't need your disc. On a mac, you'd still be on patch 1.67, so the problems associated with 1.69 wouldn't apply to you.

BluebellFlora provided a comprehensive guide to addressing the problems associated with playing TS3 on a mac, and her page is by far the best source for mac help. This is her page on disc authorization failure.

Also, just so you know, when installed on newer macs, the High-end Loft Stuff pack has files that don't get properly copied to where they need to go. This might not have been a problem before, but it probably will be if and when you reinstall. Here are the easy instructions to fix the issue, which also crops up with a few other packs (Ambitions, Late Night, and Fast Lane). If you end up launching the game from one of those four packs, you may need to follow these instructions as well, as the installation process might not create the proper alias from which you need to launch your game.

BluebellFlora isn't active in supporting mac users anymore, but her guides are still a good place to start. If you still can't play, post your computer's specs and any troubleshooting steps you've taken so far, and someone with more tech expertise than I have will show up to help.
    @ElsieSimming

So all of that happens even before you try to load a saved game? In that case, it can't be a problem with the save so we have to look at the game itself or the way the game interacts with your updated system.

First let's see if you can use the game disc at all. Insert the disc, don't start the game but open the disc itself in the Finder. Now you should be able to see the content of the disc. If so, the disc at least is not the problem.

Secondly: MacOS works with users; even if you're the only one using the machine, you're still just one user. It may be that during the update you somehow created another user (with probably the same name, otherwise you might have noticed it right away). The game is licensed to one user only (the one you 'were' when you entered the serial key during installation). If the a new, 'other', user tries to start the program the Sims will refuse you access — even if the name of that 'other' user is the same as the original one. I understand you already took out all your EP's so maybe trying a full re-install (were you have to enter the key again) will solve the problem. Try to do that the proper way by first un-installing the current version, then restarting your machine and finally installing the game anew.

Btw: if a program/game hangs like you described you should be able to close the offender by pressing Cmd-Alt-Esc simultaneously (Command-Option-Escape). You get a list of all running programs; select the non-responding one and click 'Force Quit' to kill it. This works almost always, even in the worst of instances!