Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Do You Love The Sims 2?

Mort_OpalMort_Opal Posts: 55 Member
I love it because it's what I grew up with. I played Sims 1, but Sims 2 is what cemented my addiction to the series. The quirks and the soundtrack are also what makes this installment mean the world to me!

Comments

• M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,715 Member
    So many reasons.. the rotational gameplay style so I can play through their full lives, the details (it's the only installment with full fledged tv commercials), the premade stories, the levels of customisation, and especially everything Jules said about personalities. It's simply a cohesive, well fleshed out whole. You gotta honour thy details. :)
    Banner.png
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    When Maxis made the game, there put a lot of thought into the details. They really paid attention to the mechanics, simulations, and interactions. The game they were designing was well thought out. It showed in the end products.

So what I love is the actual game. How the simulations work and the design of the world. It isn't perfect by any means, but everything about is cohesive with lots of options for the player. The outcomes are always different, even with the premade families...no two games are ever alike.
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member

I love the sense of humor that was used in the making of Sims 2! Some of the animations are really funny and the sims have a surprising amount of personality. One of my most favorite things ever about Sims 2 was when I would queue up a task for a tired sim and they would just plain refuse to to do it and would sometimes turn and look up, straight at me, like, 'Oh heck no, I'm not scrubbing the toilet right now.' It was so funny (and a little creepy, lol.)
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    I love the attention to detail, they don't pull everything out of their behinds, they actually go through the motions of doing things. No instant poofing. How the sims react, I love they have memories they can dredge up at anytime, the way personalities are done, and the attraction system. The genetics are outstanding. I love going through generations to see who might have inherited great grandpas eyes or nose.

Everything about the game seemed so carefully thought out, and fleshed out. I love the cut scenes, I have never skipped one in my life. It is truly a very solid game, so long as you don't do something to make it explode. :D

This.
    The Sims themselves are charming, they have real depth and personality. More so than any other sims in the series. There isn't anything "fake" about them, which is how I feel in regards to the moodlet system intoduced with 3, and now 4. They have their own wants and things they fear, and they will SHOW you their feelings and emotions rather than have moodlet tell you what they're feeling.
    I can really tell when my sim families care about one another, without being told that. It shows in the way they interact. The same as if two sims really dislike one another. It shows easily.

I just think the whole game is solidly thought out, and it seems no "expense" ( I use the term loosely, and not really meaning monetary value ) was spared into making the game all that it could be. It is deep and it's meaningful, whimsical, funny, emotional and it does pay attention to detail, right up to having warning labels or instructions on some objects.

As was said once in this section, it shows that Sims 2 was made by people who really cared.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I love the sense of humor that was used in the making of Sims 2! Some of the animations are really funny and the sims have a surprising amount of personality. One of my most favorite things ever about Sims 2 was when I would queue up a task for a tired sim and they would just plain refuse to to do it and would sometimes turn and look up, straight at me, like, 'Oh heck no, I'm not scrubbing the toilet right now.' It was so funny (and a little creepy, lol.)

I get that reaction from a Sloppy University Sim when I make them clean puddles from the sprinklers set off by the Evil Cow Mascot. I laugh every time they turn and look straight into the camera and cringe lol
  • mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    The Sims 2 had a lot of gameplay. I loved the Open For Business Expansion pack because it allowed me to actually run a business. I miss the game and use to have all of them but when I moved the games just accidentally got left behind (I could shoot myself really). It, to me, seemed like The Sims 2 was the peak of The Sims Franchise. While I love The Sims 3, it's not the same.

I had thought about going to the Sims 4, but after the reviews I have read, I'm stopping at The Sims 3. I just don't have the strength to start over, nor do I want to spend all of that money (again) to start over with the game.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I love how you can actually set up neighborhoods in your towns and even move families to a new neighborhood the same way the ymove to another house with the added step of loading the district before moving them back in and they're now living in a new shopping district or living in a downtown hood.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    I've always felt that The Sims 2 probably had the biggest amount of care, attention and detail put into it. Coming to it from playing 1 was such a monumental moment in gaming for me; the original Sims was fantastic but 2? Otherworldly.

Out of all of them, it's the game that feels the most open for me. I can load up any lot, customise every single detail, change the neighbourhood, everything. I also love the memories system and even though it may seem limited, I think that the personality system is actually the best out of all of the games. Your Sims don't need silly moodlets, they're just mean if that's how they're so inclined.

It's so charming and although I've been playing it since 2004, I still always feel like I discover something new every time I play it. I know I sing its praises a lot, but it's hard not to! It really is such a special game.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
    I haven't used the grill in a long time...probably years, but I did the other day and I was like...WOAH! My sim actually went to the kitchen to make the burger patties and then walked outside to the grill. She didn't just pull the patties out of her bum. Gosh, it was that attention to detail that made it feel like an immersive world to me. Not just a novelty like they are treating TS4.
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Mort_Opal wrote: »
    I love it because it's what I grew up with. I played Sims 1, but Sims 2 is what cemented my addiction to the series. The quirks and the soundtrack are also what makes this installment mean the world to me!

Exactly! I was 4 years old with ts1 so I did play but my mom had to type the money cheat and whatnot. But by ts2 I was in school and so it really was my life. Probably why I to this day at 22 have no friends....i make up excuses to just stay at home and sim instead!
    cleo00 wrote: »
    Mort_Opal wrote: »

Exactly! I was 4 years old with ts1 so I did play but my mom had to type the money cheat and whatnot. But by ts2 I was in school and so it really was my life. Probably why I to this day at 22 have no friends....i make up excuses to just stay at home and sim instead!

Hahaha...I went on vacation last week and every morning I said...X more days until I can go home and play the sims again. Bwahaha!! I don't think I was vacationing right.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    My husband and I was talking about this the other day. In Sims 3 he made a few builds and characters but never got pulled into live mode much. In Sims 4, he felt like he was playing the same household over and over even if they had different goals. The gameplay and the sims felt the same.

I think he hit the nail on the head when he said in Sims 2 each household was a different experience. You could plan for things to happen a certain way but something could always happen to change that.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I love the attention to detail, they don't pull everything out of their behinds, they actually go through the motions of doing things. No instant poofing. How the sims react, I love they have memories they can dredge up at anytime, the way personalities are done, and the attraction system. The genetics are outstanding. I love going through generations to see who might have inherited great grandpas eyes or nose.

Everything about the game seemed so carefully thought out, and fleshed out. I love the cut scenes, I have never skipped one in my life. It is truly a very solid game, so long as you don't do something to make it explode. :D

I agree with everything you said here.

They did so well with the base game and all the packs.

I have never disliked a pack from the sims 2 or the stuff packs and store sets.

Quality packs.

Sims react better in the games.
    Life stages are well done.
    Better career items.

The sims makes me laugh.

So many animations in the game.

I love cc in it.

I wish they made more packs for it :(
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »

Quality packs.

Better career items.

The sims makes me laugh.

I love cc in it.

Sometimes I did wish they made more packs for it, then I think about the recent quality of packs, and I don't want them to anymore! :D Agreed there isn't any pack that was released for 2 that I didn't like, I don't think I could play with any of them!
    edited April 2018

Quality packs.

Better career items.

The sims makes me laugh.

I love cc in it.

Sometimes I did wish they made more packs for it, then I think about the recent quality of packs, and I don't want them to anymore! :D Agreed there isn't any pack that was released for 2 that I didn't like, I don't think I could play with any of them!

Hi :)
    Thank you.
    I see.
    If you like them enjoy.
    Me however
    The resent lack of quality makes me want them to do more for 2.
    I'm not even sure if there capable anymore of creating quality expansion packs :(

I could agree with you if 4 packs were even half better than the others. They just don't entertain as long as two or three.

What is the quality of packs?

Both jundle adventure and cats and dog's just for exsample were not quality packs if you asked me.
    Slap in the face maybe cpmpaired to world adventures and the sims 3 pets.

So very small.
    City living even more so.

The last good packs for me was parenting and vampire and spa day.

the packs seem to be getting smaller and smaller in the expansion pack department..

Poor quality and incredibly boring...

So yeah if they were quality packs i could happily forget about two.
    Until them its just a constant reminder that packs just isn't great anymore.
    Lost it magic this series.

Have fun tho . if your happy that's great. At least some do like it. Its a shame more of us couldn't.

Quality packs.

Better career items.

The sims makes me laugh.

I love cc in it.

Thank you.
    I see.
    If you like them enjoy.
    Me however
    I'm not even sure if there capable anymore of creating quality expansion packs :(

I could agree with you if 4 packs were even half better than the others. They just don't entertain as long as two or three.

Both jundle adventure and cats and dog's just for exsample were not quality packs if you asked me.

So very small.

the packs seem to be getting smaller and smaller in the expansion pack department..

Have fun tho . if your happy that's great. At least some do like it. Its a shame more of us couldn't.

Woah!!! Back up the train! :D Sorry I should have been more clear, I love Sims 2 expansions, not 4. I meant I had sometimes thought I would like more Sims 2 expansions. I hear about the "quality" and yes I use that term loosely, of the currant packs for 4, and now I no longer want them to put their hands on 2. Heck I was so disappointed by 4 I never even bought the base game, so definitely no love there. :p

I agree I don't think they are able to make quality packs anymore. Why? Doesn't really matter if it is engine related, budget, or just bad choices. Fact is they just are not good, and I don't see them changing that direction.

Sorry just didn't want anyone thinking I was talking about 4, the fact it seemed you did made me hurl in my mouth a little. :s

Quality packs.

Better career items.

The sims makes me laugh.

I love cc in it.

Thank you.
    I see.
    If you like them enjoy.
    Me however

So very small.

Woah!!! Back up the train! :D Sorry I should have been more clear, I love Sims 2 expansions, not 4. I meant I had sometimes thought I would like more Sims 2 expansions. I hear about the "quality" and yes I use that term loosely, of the currant packs for 4, and now I no longer want them to put their hands on 2. Heck I was so disappointed by 4 I never even bought the base game, so definitely no love there. :p

I agree I don't think they are able to make quality packs anymore. Why? Doesn't really matter if it is engine related, budget, or just bad choices. Fact is they just are not good, and I don't see them changing that direction.

Sorry just didn't want anyone thinking I was talking about 4, the fact it seemed you did made me hurl in my mouth a little. :s

Sorry about that.
    I misunderstood, my bad.
    I see what you mean now.
    You meant I think, at the current quality of the newer packs. You would feel any attempts of them making any for the sims 2 would likely be as bad as the ones they put out now?
    At least I can still get some great cc and mods :)
    Both have always been such a lifesaver for my games.
    Agree you you totally :)
    No need to apologise.
    Sorry for that mix up.

Quality packs.

Better career items.

The sims makes me laugh.

I love cc in it.

Thank you.
    I see.
    If you like them enjoy.
    Me however

So very small.

Sorry about that.
    I misunderstood, my bad.
    I see what you mean now.
    You meant I think, at the current quality of the newer packs. You would feel any attempts of them making any for the sims 2 would likely be as bad as the ones they put out now?
    No need to apologise.
    Sorry for that mix up.

It's all good. Ya the bolded is exactly what I meant. There is some fantastic CC and mods being made now, it almost is like getting a new expansion pack if you scoop enough up! :D
  • peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    Despite the failings, the sims 4 has its good points. The clubs help make the community lots feel alive. Furthermore the sims themselves look fantastic without the need for much cc and the CAS is awesome. Sims can look very different, it is much easier to create ethnic sims, and you can dress sims in whatever clothes without gender or category restrictions.

The gameplay of the sims 4 is lacking compared to the vastly superior sims 2. While I like what they have done with toddlers, the sims 4 sims feel way to samey wither traits not making much of a difference beside pushing certain emotions. Furthermore without mods, sims rarely act different when in different emotions besides cosmetic/ animation changes. Sims in the sims 2 also seemed to react to events and others more. If they caught other cheating they would get furious. They could find out about cheating not only from witnessing but from gossip or viewing date flowers.

Finally I miss all the unique interactions sims had with each other. In the sims 4, most interactions are just talk animations with name changes. In the sims 2 sims could play with each other which was great for children
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • venus0013venus0013 Posts: 2 New Member
    TS2 really immersed me in the gameplay aspect, I remember spending hours involved in the stories, making my sims accomplish their ambitions, and idk, it felt real. I love the neighborhood, to me it feels much more open than what we have for TS4 and being able to edit it / create a new one was really fun - tbh, a good compromise imo would have been the neighborhoods from 2 with semi-open world concept from 3, like you could walk to your neighbors houses or something... The characters felt much more real and I'd actually spend hours playing the game, and not just making houses and sims - which is sadly how I spend most of my time on 4. :(
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited April 2018

Agree with this. It was a very in depth game that felt like a life simulation game. I love the sims 4 but I do feel like since the sims 2 the series has gone down hill alot in terms of attention to detail and quality. Sims no longer pick things up they swipe, the emotion system is redundant and I rarely even acknowledge its there, I don't like buffs or moodlets at all, even the trait system is bland as all it really does is force a special animation to play every so often like clumsy sims dropping a dish in the sink while washing up etc. Sims feel very bland and samey. In the sims 2 sims could be so quirky yet had less options available for personality customisation in comparison to modern day sims games which said it all really. All of the fun got striped back, the memory timeline was fun and didn't feel like a chore was easy to understand too and I spent alot of time just going through townies looking at their memories to see their story so far. the attraction system and turn ons made your sim unique, aspirations were brilliant and so we're wants and fears and there were genuine consequences for ignoring aspirations as sims would go crazy (remember the lampshade on your sims head or the doctor who would appear if your sim had low aspiration, not to mention the social bunny) . You could do more with babies, teens felt like teens and got zits and could seek out and just do more teen like things, more npcs, rodents on lots like cockroaches and the skunk, better community lots where you could actually buy clothes and food for your fridge when it got low on supplies. The quality of packs has gone downhill too since, back in sims 2 days you would get a solid ep full of gameplay content where as now you do get an ep full of gameplay but usually consists of 2 themes mashed together making it feel very half baked. The sims 2s base game felt like a complete game that didn't need to be expanded. 4 unfortunately didn't have that same feel for me. Neither did 3 really as apart from the open world there wasn't really all that much to do in it. It is a life simulation game and I would like to see it go back to that being the main focus of the series in the future. I find when I play the sims 2 which I still do almost daily I can put it on and play for hours where as with the sims 4 I play for 30 mins or so before getting bored and switching off and I won't touch it again for weeks or sometimes months. Im not saying in anyway do I hate the sims 4 it's just not as good.

I think for me it just feels like there isn't enough risk taken now in terms of the gane being a bit saucy and quirky with things like burglars being removed its just a bit silly really. It's a classic npcs yet got removed because they didn't want crime in the game. It's stuff like that that makes me like the newer games more.

If we could have a sims 5 that has the sims 3's open world, the sims 2's sims and gameplay and the sims 4s create a sim it would be the best sims game in the series.
    Post edited by Simsfan99111 on

Quality packs.

Better career items.

The sims makes me laugh.

I love cc in it.

Thank you.
    I see.
    If you like them enjoy.
    Me however

So very small.

Sorry about that.
    I misunderstood, my bad.
    I see what you mean now.
    No need to apologise.
    Sorry for that mix up.

It's all good. Ya the bolded is exactly what I meant. There is some fantastic CC and mods being made now, it almost is like getting a new expansion pack if you scoop enough up! :D

Thanks 4 being cool about it.
    Can you please reccommend any blogs for cc.

Its been so long since I hunted for cc for two.

The sims resource and modthesims and a few new ones I was linked last week is all I have.

Celebrity sims look so good in two, all the cc with them :)

Quality packs.

Better career items.

The sims makes me laugh.

I love cc in it.

Thank you.
    I see.
    If you like them enjoy.
    Me however

So very small.

Sorry about that.
    I misunderstood, my bad.
    I see what you mean now.
    No need to apologise.
    Sorry for that mix up.

Thanks 4 being cool about it.
    Can you please reccommend any blogs for cc.

Its been so long since I hunted for cc for two.

The sims resource and modthesims and a few new ones I was linked last week is all I have.

Celebrity sims look so good in two, all the cc with them :)

Sure! There are a lot of good sites for CC. This one is a tumblr that looks all over (a lot of tumblr stuff) and posts stuff they find everyday, so you don't have to go through a bunch of stuff to find things, they have a ton of pages with older stuff they have posted as well, it moves quite fast being posted to everyday, so it is a great place to browse through the pages.

http://sssvitlans.tumblr.com/tagged/s2cc

ICads simblr is great, I love his recolors! Also has some great build mode stuff, and terrain replacements. http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.com/tagged/dlhobbies

Great place to find clutter, they link to stuff all over https://ano2uk2.wordpress.com/

BB's retreat. Great stuff a lot of people still use it today. http://buggybooz.blogspot.com/

I love Liliths skins http://lilith-sims.tumblr.com/post/168912268918/merry-christmas-honey-honey-skinblend-hi

All about style for clothing http://www.all-about-style.com/index.html

Great site to find hair! http://allthehairs.podserver.info/

Sims2Artists for everything https://sims2artists.com/index.php

Build stuff by Ranuss ( a lot of pictures are toast though) https://rdnussimaginethat.blogspot.com/

Garden of shadows http://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gardenofshadows/index.php?PHPSESSID=1uc7dosp16j71u0da1guk0erp7&

4 to 2 conversions https://ts4tots2conversions.weebly.com/conversion-database/expansion-packs

3 to 2 conversions https://322cdb.livejournal.com/

Sims 2 🐸🐸🐸🐸 (older stuff that has had there sites shut down, or stuff that was on pay sites http://svs.paysites.mustbedestroyed.org:8080/🐸🐸🐸🐸/ts2/

Stuff from Paladins place ( pictures and descriptions to be found here) https://web.archive.org/web/20160305153308/http://simwardrobe.com/

Downloads archive for Paladins place here http://simfileshare.net/folder/15672/

A lot of cc archives for awesome sites that are no longer maintained. List and links for them here https://www.liquidsims.com/community-archives/

I guess I will stop there... that should keep you going for a while. :D

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.