Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tiny House Challenge

Comments

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited March 2018
    @fleshjenn What a cute little stable house and I imagine hard to build on a small lot. I like the window placement on the front from the outside and the way you've done the siding.

Is it bothering you that the shuttered window is up against the entry wall beside it? Thinking you could move that entry wall one space back into the balcony, and if it still bothers you that the window isn't centered from inside, you could always put something in the corner, like maybe a tall bookcase to distract the eye. When I can't arrange windows as symmetrically as I'd like, I sometimes resort to things like that - trees outside, potted plants beside a window, bookcases, fireplaces - anything to trick me into seeing it as OK.

I can't really tell much about the back of the house, but I think there are two windows, one that is in what I assume is the bath, and another IP window more toward the center. Not sure what you're planning for the living space where there are no windows on the back, but maybe you could just put a window like the one in the bath in the same position on the other side. If you need that IP window where it is, and there's no way to balance it on the other side (thinking maybe you were planning a wall in there somewhere), you could always try a two-story ivy vine up the back in the garden area. I've always found placing those a little hard but not usually totally impossible. At least I *think* that's how it was. LOL I'm a little rusty because had some time off from game. I suppose it depends on which vine sets you own also.

Can't wait to see this when it's done. :)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,696 Member
    @fleshjenn First, I think it is a beautifully successful double purpose small lot. And, I absolutely agree with @suzses about sometimes just accepting the asymmetry and using furnishings/landscaping to visually balance the results. But, specific to this build, I do have a few comments.

First, the curtains interior next to the large window; were they just randomly placed during the build process? Because there doesn't seem to be a window there. Second, I would absolutely move that wall just one space over from the large window. The front wall will still be asymmetrical, but the window won't be directly juxtaposed to a wall on the interior. Finally, I think the other front facing window seems to work fine where it is, both from the interior and the exterior. It may be different from a full on frontal view. If you really wanted to move it toward the outer wall, I would recommend a double sliding door against the interior wall instead. For my own design aesthetic, a double slider works better directly against a wall better than a double window. I don't know why! It is a silly thing that I couldn't possibly justify. But, you asked for input, so....

Regardless, it is a great build and I look forward to seeing it finished.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
  • fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    @Jude525 the curtains were leftovers from the windows I was moving about, I was trying to place windows next to each other to see if they would match. there is a real lack of matching one square and 2 square windows in the game.
    I really like the large window with the shutters, but think the place would look rather silly with a huge window on each side. now that I had time to sleep on it, I think I will go in and move the wall and see if that helps.

@suzses thank you for your input, I'm definitely going to look into the vines on the outside, and objects in side.
    I think I might be a little ocd when it comes to symmetrical builds but I definitely going to try working on letting it go.

Thanks again!
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    @fleshjenn I am ocd with symmetry too, is there a way you could do a sectional in the corner and maybe a table under the window to make it seem like you didn't want to obscure it? Or could you move the balcony wall a tile to give more wallspace? Or maybe put a small room in the corner, Kitchen or bath, and leave that as a nook?
  • fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    I think I have the house finally finished. right now I am just play testing it to make sure there are no routing issues. I should get it posted tomorrow
    @fleshjenn My ex-husband was completely obsessive about symmetrical builds. He loved classical Roman and Greek architecture. But, at the same time, he was fascinated by how comfortably I would let my builds follow the flow of the purpose of the space. He called my work "more organic." He was an art major in school, so was able to maintain perspective on different styles. The irony is, I'm on the other side of the coin. Often, when I find myself building something too symmetrical, I get tense and need to find ways to break it up. I am definitely a farm-house, add a room as you need it, kind of guy.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @soocoolsim built this on a 15x15:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9146068

While not a TINY lot, it is a nice small house on a small lot.
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

Aw @ciane , thanks so much for the mention. I still have to try your challenge lol :smile:
    YES! I would love it if you could manage a tiny build. You have such awesome lots!
    I keep getting distracted with other builds, but I was thinking of trying a tiny village of apartments with a shared garden.

I saw this group of them and thought the style would work perfect in Aurora Skies.

tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo1_1280.jpg

Last month's build-n-share gave many great ideas for communal style living.
    @Jessabeans Do it (in Arnold voice). Do it now!
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Okay I'm giving it a try, mind the mess this is a really early WIP.

I have the pool roughed out and one tentatively decorated so far, I am thinking of putting in garden and a sauna area maybe.
    tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo3_r1_1280.jpg

I mapped out 10x10 sections of the lots, so even though they are on a larger shared 30x30 each house's footprint and deck would have fit on a 10x10 lot.

tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo4_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo5_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo6_r1_1280.jpg
    @jessabeans, Oh my gosh, I love it!!!!! Raw, maybe, but certainly not a mess.
    aka Jude

My Studio

Nice! Really nice. I love what you've done with that one. I say, "yes" to a sauna. :smiley: The pool and fountain area is looking great too!
    Thanks, I was excited to try out minis on a lot together and had settled on that inspiration picture but in doing so totally overlooked second half of the challenge was also adding interesting shapes and rooflines. I'm sure the simple shape is what drew me to the inspiration picture to begin with. I like the one I have furnished so far, but the other ones were giving me trouble trying to get an ocean view without exposing the bed area to the rest of the lot. I'm going to try for different shapes on the other two and the sauna building. If I get any more done tonight I'll post more WIPs if you don't mind.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    I keep getting distracted with other builds, but I was thinking of trying a tiny village of apartments with a shared garden.

I saw this group of them and thought the style would work perfect in Aurora Skies.

tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo1_1280.jpg

Last month's build-n-share gave many great ideas for communal style living.

That would have made a great hippie commune!!!
    Post away @Jessabeans! I love the simple shapes too!
    I love your lot @Jessabeans! Can't wait to see more.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited April 2018
    I think I have the house shapes but I haven't settled on the sauna room yet.
    tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo7_r1_1280.jpg

I think the glass fence looks a little out of place but I haven't found an alternate.
    tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo8_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo9_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo10_r1_1280.jpg

I didn't realize you could route inside a roof.

tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo2_r3_1280.jpg
    I decided to give up on the rooftop being usable. I guess I'm done with the shells now but I won't get to landscaping tonight.

*edit* again

tumblr_p6n6yjw5Yu1x95scjo1_1280.jpg

Trying to put a hottub in anyway, I preferred the fountain at the end, I may put it on the side instead.

At some point I moved the sauna room, so here's the new overview.

tumblr_p6n6yjw5Yu1x95scjo2_r1_1280.jpg

Post edited by Jessabeans on
  • KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    @Jessabeans These look super cute! I love the varied shapes. Bummer on the rooftop, a rooftop hot tub or something would have been cool :D
    Loving it! I particularly like the uneven roof line and the utilizing only half the space both for roof and jut out! It looks fantastic! Great job on the sauna shape too. I like the way you did the flooring there and the open space on each side with the wall supports! I'm glad you lowered that other foundation too. I like the smaller step up better. Awesome work!
    edited April 2018
    There are still a few more things I want to do with the landscaping, like putting the pool rocks back in if I decide to leave the waterfall there and touch up the garden area a bit, and do the individual lawn/patio areas but with landscaping it's finally closer to what I had in mind.

tumblr_p6n6yjw5Yu1x95scjo3_r1_1280.jpg
    Lot overview

tumblr_p6n6yjw5Yu1x95scjo4_r1_1280.jpg
    *Edit* I tried to get the 'family' mini furnished, it was the hardest, I had to bump it out slightly larger than the 16 tiles and it doesn't have a full kitchen like the other two. It has a mini-fridge, bbq grill and a sink, I'll have to test if that's going to be enough. I will think on it some more and try to finish it tonight if I have time.
    tumblr_p6oczwgDbu1x95scjo4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6oczwgDbu1x95scjo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6oczwgDbu1x95scjo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6oczwgDbu1x95scjo3_1280.jpg
    I'm sure I'll change the wallpaper again.

This is the single sim's house.
    tumblr_p6odq4kTPi1x95scjo1_r1_1280.jpg

It's going to take extensive routing checks with so many things in such small areas but I should have it uploaded later tonight or tomorrow if anyone is interested in the actual lot it's here, with finished pictures here. I think the idea could work out, I hope some of you will be inspired to try out a tiny village. :)

Post edited by Jessabeans on
    I really like the layout with the garden and those lilac flowers! I looks like your family will soon outgrow their home and need to add a loft!
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, I think a loft is going to be a good idea for the family one @ciane . I really dislike not giving them a kitchen, I can't imagine 4 sims standing in there at once but it's fun to try things out.