Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Retirement and mentoring

My Sim kept receiving retirement prompts and I kept declining because she was nearly done with career and hobbies. One time I declined too fast and bam she’s retired, unable to contribute and I’m unable to undo a non confirm-button action.

I kept the retired Sim because I figured she could mentor. After a couple days, she had an event pop up for relationship. Today the event icon is back with a mentoring option. All it gives is Good Upbringing boosts, so I don’t know yet that it’ll be worth doing.
Post edited by livingforwards on

Comments

• orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited March 2018
    Same thing happened to me. Completely put me off further playing
  • LoversHovelLoversHovel Posts: 35 Member
    How's mentoring though? I had a Sim that was max at cooking. Does that sim teach the hobby or just provide the good upbriging trait?
    Choose life, because life chose you to experience it.
  • wendiiwendii Posts: 1 New Member
    How can I retire my sim?
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    How's mentoring though? I had a Sim that was max at cooking. Does that sim teach the hobby or just provide the good upbriging trait?

Every day a mentoring event pops up. It can be done once a day. It shouldn't povide Good Upbringing trait as the elder will never be playable again. There are two types of mentoring events: Career mentoring (gives sim more career points) and Hobby mentoring (gives sim more hobby points). In total, you can do these about 5 days. When 5 days pass, the birthday cake icon will appear on the elder. Upon tapping on it, the elder will announce that they are ready to move out and to make good use of their heirloom. If you tap on Goodbye!, the elder will be gone forever. They cannot be called over and will be displayed under Previous Generation section in the family portrait.
    wendii wrote: »
    How can I retire my sim?

Go through these steps:
    1. Reach level 16.
    2. Earn all 4 traits to your sim by doing the events.
    3. Once all the traits are collected, do the events for the "fifth trait" (aka retirement).
    4. At one moment, your sim will announce that they're ready to retire.
    5. If you click on the button Later, you can do this from the traits panel. (That's why I called it the fifth trait, also because Good Upbringing trait won't show up in the traits panel)

Retired sims will become elders and unplayable. You can move them out from the family portrait.
  • SkyOfTheTigerSkyOfTheTiger Posts: 1 New Member
    What happens after the sims retire? Does your kid become playable? What if you don't have a kid, or do you have to?
  • KartSimoKartSimo Posts: 16 New Member
    @SkyOfTheTiger
    After your sims retire you can play as another sim, whether it be a kid, husband/wife, or someone who has moved in. You also have the option to create a new sim.
  • missmerizemissmerize Posts: 42 Member
    I have one adult who's ready to retire and one teenager. I guess I am just gonna wait until I hit 100% in my guitar hobby and when my girl Vivian becomes an adult before I retire. but are teens playable?
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    missmerize wrote: »
    I have one adult who's ready to retire and one teenager. I guess I am just gonna wait until I hit 100% in my guitar hobby and when my girl Vivian becomes an adult before I retire. but are teens playable?
    Hello
    There aren’t teens in the game. Perhaps your child looks like a teen? The stages are baby, toddler, child and adult. A child isn’t playable. They need to become an adult to be playable.
  • missmerizemissmerize Posts: 42 Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > missmerize wrote: »
    >
    > I have one adult who's ready to retire and one teenager. I guess I am just gonna wait until I hit 100% in my guitar hobby and when my girl Vivian becomes an adult before I retire. but are teens playable?
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello
    > There aren’t teens in the game. Perhaps your child looks like a teen? The stages are baby, toddler, child and adult. A child isn’t playable. They need to become an adult to be playable.

wait, really?? so my Sim is already playable, then, I suppose. she looks super young though. had no idea they went straight from child to adult. thanks for the info!
    missmerize wrote: »
    > @rosemow said:
    > missmerize wrote: »
    >
    > I have one adult who's ready to retire and one teenager. I guess I am just gonna wait until I hit 100% in my guitar hobby and when my girl Vivian becomes an adult before I retire. but are teens playable?
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello
    > There aren’t teens in the game. Perhaps your child looks like a teen? The stages are baby, toddler, child and adult. A child isn’t playable. They need to become an adult to be playable.

wait, really?? so my Sim is already playable, then, I suppose. she looks super young though. had no idea they went straight from child to adult. thanks for the info!

You’re welcome :) You could add the sim to the second playable slot if you want both sims to be playable at the same time.
  • MarylinnetMarylinnet Posts: 2 New Member
    > wendii wrote: »
    >
    > How can I retire my sim?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Go through these steps:
    > 1. Reach level 16.
    > 2. Earn all 4 traits to your sim by doing the events.
    > 3. Once all the traits are collected, do the events for the "fifth trait" (aka retirement).
    > 4. At one moment, your sim will announce that they're ready to retire.
    > 5. If you click on the button Later, you can do this from the traits panel. (That's why I called it the fifth trait, also because Good Upbringing trait won't show up in the traits panel)
    >
    > Retired sims will become elders and unplayable. You can move them out from the family portrait.

It's been days since several of my sims earned 4th trait, still can't retire, have been doing events constantly since, am level 23 now, I'd really like to retire a few of them, as I've got kids now that are adults and I can't play them.
    Marylinnet wrote: »
    > wendii wrote: »
    >
    > How can I retire my sim?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Go through these steps:
    > 1. Reach level 16.
    > 2. Earn all 4 traits to your sim by doing the events.
    > 3. Once all the traits are collected, do the events for the "fifth trait" (aka retirement).
    > 4. At one moment, your sim will announce that they're ready to retire.
    > 5. If you click on the button Later, you can do this from the traits panel. (That's why I called it the fifth trait, also because Good Upbringing trait won't show up in the traits panel)
    >
    > Retired sims will become elders and unplayable. You can move them out from the family portrait.

It's been days since several of my sims earned 4th trait, still can't retire, have been doing events constantly since, am level 23 now, I'd really like to retire a few of them, as I've got kids now that are adults and I can't play them.

Do you also do interactions while these events are active?
    Do as much interactions as you can, fefill the energy bar and do more. Check the traits panel from time to time in case the game has failed to announce that to you.
  • BlueWizardRobBlueWizardRob Posts: 102 Member
    Before I retire aSim, do I need to remove the Izzy’s creations they are wearing. If I retire them while wearing one will it be available to the next generation or will it be unusable?
    Before I retire aSim, do I need to remove the Izzy’s creations they are wearing. If I retire them while wearing one will it be available to the next generation or will it be unusable?

Hello
    If the sim retires wearing an Izzy creation, the rest of the sims will still be able to wear the creation. The retired sim will wear a copy of the creation.
  • BlueWizardRobBlueWizardRob Posts: 102 Member
    [quote="rosemow;c-16430232"]

Hello
    If the sim retires wearing an Izzy creation, the rest of the sims will still be able to wear the creation. The retired sim will wear a copy of the creation. [/quote]

Thanks
    edited April 2018
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello
    If the sim retires wearing an Izzy creation, the rest of the sims will still be able to wear the creation. The retired sim will wear a copy of the creation.

Thanks

You’re welcome :)
  • CopperheadCopperhead Posts: 2 New Member
    Is there a way to retire my kids that are now adults without retiring my original SIMS?
    Copperhead wrote: »
    Is there a way to retire my kids that are now adults without retiring my original SIMS?

Hello @Copperhead
    If the adult kids are in the playable slots, and the game has given you the notification that they can be retired, then any of the playable sims can be retired in any order.
    Copperhead wrote: »

Don't do any events with your main sim. Do all the events with their children until they get all the four traits and announce they're ready to retire. Here's my guide:
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Go through these steps to retire your sims:
    1. Reach level 16.
    2. Earn all 4 traits to your sim by doing the events.
    3. Once all the traits are collected, do the events for the "fifth trait" (aka retirement).
    4. At one moment, your sim will announce that they're ready to retire.
    5. If you click on the button Later, you can do this from the traits panel. (That's why I called it the fifth trait, also because Good Upbringing trait won't show up in the traits panel)

Retired sims will become elders and unplayable. You can move them out from the family portrait.

• IceyVampirIceyVampir Posts: 31 Member
    Is it possible to never retire a sim?
    IceyVampir wrote: »

It's impossible to never reach level 16...
    Don't add new traits. If game asks to, choose no. If your sim already has four traits, then at one moment they'll announce they are ready to retire. Always click on Later button. The game will keep announcing that your sim is ready to retire every day if you play actively, so be careful not to click Retire button. Also, do not add new traits.
    IceyVampir wrote: »

Hello
    You could keep playing the sim without retiring them. You would need to keep ignoring the reminders that the game issues for the option to retire the sim.
  • IceyVampirIceyVampir Posts: 31 Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > IceyVampir wrote: »
    >
    > Is it possible to never retire a sim?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello
    > You could keep playing the sim without retiring them. You would need to keep ignoring the reminders that the game issues for the option to retire the sim.

> @EgonVM said:
    > IceyVampir wrote: »
    >
    > Is it possible to never retire a sim?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's impossible to never reach level 16...
    > Don't add new traits. If game asks to, choose no. If your sim already has four traits, then at one moment they'll announce they are ready to retire. Always click on Later button. The game will keep announcing that your sim is ready to retire every day if you play actively, so be careful not to click Retire button. Also, do not add new traits.

Thank you for the info! I can see how the notification can become annoying or to press it by accident.
  • MayaRose1138MayaRose1138 Posts: 1,787 Member
    If I move a retired sim out without waiting for them to be kicked out by the game, will they still appear in the portrait's "previous generation" area?
    If I move a retired sim out without waiting for them to be kicked out by the game, will they still appear in the portrait's "previous generation" area?

Yes, they will appear in the family portrait in Previous generation section.
    If you move them out in the family portrait, you can still socialize with them and they will still appear in the town. However, once it is time for them when the game forces them to move out, they'll just disappear with the stories related to them. The position in family portrait may change after that moment.