Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

where do you get the ideas for creating your houses

13...Next

Comments

• Bekahx3Bekahx3 Posts: 115 Member
    edited October 2016
    I still am not very good at designing roofs, but I have found that using real house layout plans helps to create a less drab looking house as far as the shapes of the rooms and whatnot. Just Google house layout plans. :P
    Another thing that I've noticed makes a BIG difference in how good your house looks (internally) is the decor. Curtains, rugs, plants, wall decorations, random clutter items, etc. makes a house look a lot more put together. If you want to make a big house (mine are usually 2-3 stories), the decorating can seem a little overwhelming. So what I usually do is get the big, necessary items done, move my family in, and then take care of the decorating in small strides as I feel like it.

If anyone has good advice for yards (front and back), windows (how many is too many? all the same type of window or mix it up? etc.), and roof design, I would to improve on those things.
    Me and my bae Michael. Drawn by Sonatines on the ourWorld game forums.
    70e3abc2e7.jpg
  • brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »
    OK, so I only have the base game, so I did not have a big enough lot to place your entire build, and I lost items from packs you used. Here is your original build:
    10-14-16_7-12-03nbspPM_zps7xee47e1.png
    10-14-16_7-12-09nbspPM_zps0pnfxd5r.png

I changed the roof height, windows, siding, and added landscaping. I did not change the shape of the house at all:
    10-14-16_7-32-29nbspPM_zpskqiihjjy.png
    10-14-16_7-32-17nbspPM_zpsybmtqwjr.png

It is still a bit overwhelming with all the windows. I would make the rooms inside much smaller to cut down on all the dead space. But, does that help at all with ideas?

dude how did you make the roof that way i am trying to recreate it but i just cant :(
  • cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    Wow! That is a huge house. How many Sims do you have living in that? I can't really comment on the house though 'cus I can't see inside where the play happens.
    I , usually , build organically. I build the house around my Sims needs. Some interesting builds have come out of that process , so much so that that is pretty much my style now. I used to build a small home and move them in and go from there but was not happy most of the time and the smallness blocked me , I guess , if we get robbers back I'm gonna be screwed though. LOL
  • flippinmaryflippinmary Posts: 180 Member
    Sims Supply has a video about building roofs which I found really helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_0oQfMT5I
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Shows, movies, SimCity, Animal Crossing, observing houses around me, and from traveling. I'll probably be inspired by Overwatch too while building.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • earthgirlearthgirl Posts: 1,025 Member
    I get my ideas from houses I see around town. I don't build said houses in game, but I add some elements that I like to the sims homes that I build, like mansards, balconies, angled windows, textures and whatnot.
    NK4koaX.png
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    Piperbird wrote: »
    OK, so I only have the base game, so I did not have a big enough lot to place your entire build, and I lost items from packs you used. Here is your original build:
    10-14-16_7-12-03nbspPM_zps7xee47e1.png
    10-14-16_7-12-09nbspPM_zps0pnfxd5r.png

I changed the roof height, windows, siding, and added landscaping. I did not change the shape of the house at all:
    10-14-16_7-32-29nbspPM_zpskqiihjjy.png
    10-14-16_7-32-17nbspPM_zpsybmtqwjr.png

It is still a bit overwhelming with all the windows. I would make the rooms inside much smaller to cut down on all the dead space. But, does that help at all with ideas?

dude how did you make the roof that way i am trying to recreate it but i just cant :(

Sorry! I never saw your post! I kept the roofs you had already, I just lowered them a lot. The smaller one in front I lowered and dragged the side into the larger roof, so you only see the front of the slanted side.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I go online and search for (free) house plans.
  • mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    Because I'm secretly trying to become a vulgar Martha Stewart, I am subscribed to Southern Living and Country Living magazines. Not always, but quite often, these magazines do articles on some really nice homes. I like to use the pictures for inspiration when building. Sometimes the article will even show a schematic of the house so I know what rooms go where in the build. I say peek around in such magazine while standing in line at the store sometime. You never know what will inspire you.
  • librarianjanelibrarianjane Posts: 11 New Member
    I actually started looking at floorplans while building D&D maps and ended up using a bunch of those. I also started a Pinterest board of room design ideas for color palettes and furniture placement.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I like to Google house plans and try to build the houses I find. They usually don't turn out that well but it's still fun. Heh
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I personally don't check any real houses or anything like that. I just go with the flow. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes it doesn't. But to me the most important thing is to have fun and not having it become a tedious task. It's a huge part of how I play the Sims so I like to have fun.

I always tell myself to check some pictures to get inspired but I never do it at the end.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I get inspired by all the architecture I see in my area. I also get inspired by architects like Frank Evert Lloyd Wright and different movements like Art Deco and Art Nouveau.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I refuse to learn how to build in this game for some crazy reason. I browse the gallery and download buildings I like.

Being from England, I am used to living wall-to-wall with neighbours so downloaded a semi-detached building so I effectively had two families in two houses on the same lot. The game still classed them as one family but with some tactical door-locking it worked.
  • TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited March 2018
    image.jpg

Necro
    dgvibNQ.png
  • thesimmerannathesimmeranna Posts: 37 Member
    I usually watch speed builds on youtube of Sims houses for my inspiration. I personally love Lilsimsie's exteriors on her builds, although I don't prefer her style of interior. I base most of my homes off of homes I've seen driving places, etc. The floor plans are also pretty similar to ones I've seen in real life. Good luck!

[img][/img]DUTbTxi.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    My inspiration comes from houses I've either lived in or been in enough times that I have memorized the floor plan. I find using graph paper helps me. Draw it up first, with one square on the graph paper = 1 wall in the game. That way you can count the number of walls in order to place them properly. Find the style of house you enjoy. Like art, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one person finds boring, for instance, another person may love. The White House is a grand house, but to me the architecture is boring. Had the front actually projected outward a few feet, and not just the awning, it would be more interesting to me. Also, as you go about your town, take in the various styles of houses as you go. See what it is you like and go from there.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,670 Member
    Image search.
    My vampires' mansion is inspired by Cologne Cathedral.
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Normally I draw out my own blue prints and build them on the game. My inspiration comes from both futuristic and Haunted castles.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    TV shows on HGTV are a good source for ideas.

Sometimes, I'll go inside an abandoned home and imagine how it looked when it had a family living there. (If you want to try to get ideas this way - do so with caution. Old places can have mold, rotting wood floors/stairs, and other hazards. So be careful!)
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • RaptorJesus1998RaptorJesus1998 Posts: 4 New Member
    I regularily study the forms of gothic architecture and then implement them in my Sims4 builds. I cant post pictures right now. maybe check out my builds in the gallery. My ID is RaptorJesus1998 :)
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Just a quick reminder of our forum rules on necroposting, as this thread has been subject to this issue at least twice, now:

Necropost. Reviving, updating or bumping old, outdated and irrelevant threads is not helpful for our community. It's best to check when the thread was created before you hit post, just to make sure it's not 2 years old.
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top