Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Petition for EA to release the "Create-A-World -- BETA" tool on the Mac platform.

Comments

• babyroo1111babyroo1111 Posts: 35 Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed!
    I totally agree with all of the PC only nonsense. In my opinion, it SHOULD be released for Macs soon! I've been waiting for two months for this, and now I find out it's only for PC's!
    I hope that this is not the real version, just beta. So when the final, less glitchy version comes out, it will be released for Macs too. And I hope, the final, less glitchy version is released soon.
  • amanda1432amanda1432 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited December 2009
    signed! i hate not being left out,we spent as much money as pc users, and they get more stuff than us???!!! this is UNFAIR!
  • MichabeanMichabean Posts: 452 Member
    edited December 2009
    Walden95 wrote:
    Michabean wrote:
    signed.

Especially considering that most technical/creative careers use the Mac. Even industrial designers who have traditionally been on PCWins - because the main tools have historically been developed for it - are switching to Macs and using Mac ported tools. After all, once you've gone Mac it's hard to even think about switching back... :lol:

Not really. My friend has a Mac and I use it all the time when I go to his house. the only advantages that I saw were that it rarely gets a virus and had a few cool tools that came along with it. I'm a PC, but I'm not saying that you shouldn't get it or ranting. The PC is the top system for gaming and most programs. The Mac just isn't made for that. If you compare both systems, you see how hard it is to make a game that works on both a PC and a Mac. It's like tiring to make your PlayStation games on your Xbox with the same disk. You guys are mainly left out because nothing is compatible or that profitable if made compatible. You guys are just a tiny slick of the computer market and sliced even smaller when it comes to computer games on Macs. It's not fair, but it's like the PC is the Xbox and the Mac is PlayStation. (pretend that the PlayStation is not a very big competitor on the market) The company is going to go the way of the most profitable before tweaking the tools for the other systems. Eventually you will have it.

/Signed

Not quite what I was talking about but that's ok... :wink: The fact that many companies in particular fields are switching is a reality, not an opinion. It is a liability to them.
  • PenguinJusticePenguinJustice Posts: 12 New Member
    edited December 2009
    SIGNED

GIVE ME THE WORLD CREATOR OT GIVE ME... Well, no, it's not worth THAT. But still. I wanna make my neighborhood! I already have had a whole danged city planned out 'on paper' and I WANNA MAKE IT!!!!!!!

The link to 'this' forum says "...our beloved mac folk." EA, PLEASE live up to that.
  • LucibelleLucibelle Posts: 97 New Member
    edited December 2009
    @Walden95: I'm not sure what you mean by "Eventually you will have it." Apparently you are not familiar with/have forgotten about all that we DIDN'T get on Sims 2, and will NEVER get. However, this time it's different. They no longer have to make Mac versions of the game and it's extras, they are simply porting it through Cider, which is why only Intel Macs are compatible in the first place. So why is it so wrong to expect that we should now get the types of tools that have previously been PC only?
  • userditzyuserditzy Posts: 11 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed
  • Walden95Walden95 Posts: 3,089 Member
    edited December 2009
    Lucibelle wrote:
    @Walden95: I'm not sure what you mean by "Eventually you will have it." Apparently you are not familiar with/have forgotten about all that we DIDN'T get on Sims 2, and will NEVER get. However, this time it's different. They no longer have to make Mac versions of the game and it's extras, they are simply porting it through Cider, which is why only Intel Macs are compatible in the first place. So why is it so wrong to expect that we should now get the types of tools that have previously been PC only?

Yes, I know what you previously didn't get with the Sims 2. You never got the last of the Sims 2 expansion packs. :( I wouldn't think that it is wrong especially because this tool is not a final, but a BETA. It looks like EA has not finished making your portion and still is working on it. Well, to know this for sure, we will have to wait it out.

@Michabean - By liability you mean that they will have no patient liability? You are confusing me. Some companies have switched, but they are not held accountable for not unless their system breaks. I understand that many business are switching, but that is for the benefit of their systems since the Mac is a good business computer. They are not held accountable for not switching unless they didn't protect their data. Even though, that is for business, the Mac just isn't a gaming computer and is not taking the market as fast as your post sounds says business is taking. Most users use a PC so the Mac is a very small percentage. If you narrow it down to gamers, the present of Mac users becomes really small. Eventually, the number may grow though.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited December 2009
    Walden95 wrote:

Yes, I know what you previously didn't get with the Sims 2. You never got the last of the Sims 2 expansion packs. :( I wouldn't think that it is wrong especially because this tool is not a final, but a BETA. It looks like EA has not finished making your portion and still is working on it. Well, to know this for sure, we will have to wait it out.
    Sorry, but I have to argue this, and I have no doubt that the long-time Mac Simmers will agree, (that's really the whole reason for this thread, is it not?) that when you see EA put "PC Only" on an app, that is what they mean. Especially since it has yet to be released, there is no other reason to label CAW PC Only if it is to be Mac compatible, even at a later date.

I would absolutely love to be proven wrong about this, but I've only ever been on a Mac. I know the routine.

p.s. In addition to the last two EPs, which I've played and would still love to get for Mac, we were also denied several of the Stuff Packs.
  • minersminers Posts: 12 New Member
    edited December 2009
    signed!

heck i will pay to have it! This was the only thing i hated about the base game. The game is supposed to be about customization with create a style and i was surprise when all you could do was rotate lots. i know it would be hard but who cares its their job. Still love the game though. =)
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Wow; we went from 18 signatures to 51 signatures in only a few short days; keep it up folks; the more attention this thread gets, the more likely a SimGuru will see it, and the more likely our sentiments will be passed on to the appropriate people at EA. Likewise, the more attention this thread gets, the more likely people are to post this information elsewhere as suggested earlier in this thread, where it'll get "press attention," and may put pressure on EA to come up with a Mac version of the Create-A-World--BETA tool. Again, I thank you for your support and ask you to continue to keep up the good work. :D

Furthermore, I'd like to especially thank the Windows PC users who have signed this even though the lack of Create-A-World--BETA on the Mac doesn't directly affect them. It's nice to see Simmers helping each other out.

NOTE: Unless you had a "signed" or similar note in your post, I did not include you in the above list; if you want to be included, please just put something like "signed" or "count me in" in an additional post, and I'll add you to the list. The reason I'm "updating" this list everytime I post in this thread is so that new people can see how many people are already supporting "Create-A-World--BETA" for the Mac.
    ...so they need to deal with the fact that they didn't buy what the sims 3 was created for.
    Funny, my game says PC/MAC compatible; if The Sims 3 wasn't created for the Mac and their advertising it as being "Mac compatible," I can sue them for false advertising. If EA did create the game for the PC and the Mac though, then they need to support both platforms equally. In either situation, EA is in the wrong here, not Mac gamers. Considering that the game is running through a Cider emulation layer, and EA didn't even bother with a "native" Mac port, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't run the "Create-A-World--BETA" tool through Cider as well. There really isn't that much additional coding required, and it wouldn't take EA that long to come up with a Mac version of the CAW tool.
    razberria wrote:
    Sims 3 was marketed to the Mac users. Tis a rip off!!! EA needs to make good on their advertising of Sims 3 for Mac.
    Agreed! When EA committed to supporting the Mac platform, they also committed to supporting the Mac Platform with all EPs, SPs, and add-on tools for TS3 by extension; they can't release a "base game," and then ignore us when it comes to other components of said game.
    Michabean wrote:
    Especially considering that most technical/creative careers use the Mac. Even industrial designers who have traditionally been on PCWins - because the main tools have historically been developed for it - are switching to Macs and using Mac ported tools.
    This is very true. TV and Film production is almost exclusively done on the Mac, and while many movies still use Avid for editing, Apple's Final Cut Studio suite of programs has replaced Avid for many TV shows and many major movies as well. Audio production used to be split between PC/Mac users pretty evenly, but in recent years, more audio professionals have moved to Macs as well. Graphic design professionals have almost always been on the Mac, and while a few switched to the PC, many switched back once OS X was released.

In more recent years, Apple has added programmers to their list of consumers, educators, (Professors/Teachers, etc.) college students, and architects among others. The Mac's market share is only continuing to grow, and it's foolish for a company like EA to ignore it. I know people who will be switching when they purchase their next computer, as well as people such as myself and my friends who have already switched, and in some cases, switched back after using PCs for awhile. You'll note that I mentioned architects and people in creative industries. I believe the tool that we want EA to release is called, oh yeah, Create-A-World--BETA, or a creative tool. :roll: If anything, CAW--BETA seems to be the perfect tool for the Mac; EA is making a huge mistake by neglecting Mac users by excluding us from it.
    GIVE ME THE WORLD CREATOR OT GIVE ME... Well, no, it's not worth THAT. But still. I wanna make my neighborhood! I already have had a whole danged city planned out 'on paper' and I WANNA MAKE IT!!!!!!!
    Those are pretty much my sentiments PenguinJustice. I too have an entire city mapped out "on paper," (well, in my head anyway; I probably should put it on paper though,) and I want to build it, just as you do. I actually have two cities mapped out, and I was thinking of coming up with a third (think of a TS3 equivalent of Strangetown the way Sunset Valley is equivalent to Pleasantview,) before the PC-only news it.
    The link to 'this' forum says "...our beloved mac folk." EA, PLEASE live up to that.
    You know, the more I look at that, the more I'm beginning to think whoever wrote that line has a wicked sense of humor. I second the plea for EA to live up to that statement though.
    Lucibelle wrote:
    Apparently you are not familiar with/have forgotten about all that we DIDN'T get on Sims 2, and will NEVER get. However, this time it's different. They no longer have to make Mac versions of the game and it's extras, they are simply porting it through Cider, which is why only Intel Macs are compatible in the first place. So why is it so wrong to expect that we should now get the types of tools that have previously been PC only?
    Lucibelle, you hit the nail on the head here. Part of the reason I initially supported EA, and the use of Cider was that we supposedly would never have this problem with missing EPs, SPs, or add-on tools again. Yet here we are, hitting our heads against the wall while EA releases a PC-only tool. I see no reason why CAW--BETA can't be dropped into Cider like the game itself is.

I agree, when EA says "PC-only," they mean "PC-only." If the "PC-only" comment applies only to the Create-A-World--BETA tool, than EA should specify that, but having been on both the PC and the Mac side of things, I don't think that the final tool will be Mac-compatible unless there's enough pressure on EA to ensure that it is. I see no evidence supporting a Mac version of Create-A-World once it leaves the "beta" stage, and even in the beta stage, shouldn't Mac users have a chance to help debug the thing, or at least to debug it for the Mac and avoid another debacle like the "World Adventures" launch? I really think that if EA had any intention of making this tool Mac-compatible, they'd add "Mac version coming soon/eventually" to the CAW--BETA page, but they haven't.

As far as TS2's final two EPs and the SPs go, I'm still hoping that Aspyr will eventually port them, (they took almost two years to port one of the Civilization games' EPs, so you never know,) assuming that they still have the rights to distribute TS2. Better yet, if EA released a "TS2: Complete Collection" the way they did for TS1, I'd be all over that. If EA retained the distribution rights, they could drop it in Cider the way they did for TS3. If Aspyr distributed such a game, then we might see the final two EPs on the Mac, as well as the missing SPs. (I'm still waiting for Aspyr to release "Civilization IV: Complete" on the Mac though, so I'm not holding my breath here, just making a statement.)

Miners, I too would pay to have Create-A-World on the Mac; it's actually more important to me than World Adventures, and after the mess that the WA launch was, the lack of the CAW--BETA tool feels like they're thumbing their noses at us. I mean, we're not even talking about a native port here; we're talking about EA dropping the tool into Cider the way they dropped the base game, first EP, and will drop the second EP into Cider. A "delay" wouldn't bother me, it's the lack of the tool in its entirety that bothers me, and the fact that all of EA's comments point to a PC-only release.

Finally, I encourage everyone here to consider sending a snail mail letter to EA, an e-mail, and even a "suggestion" using their feedback forms on the EA website. If you're going to send multiple letters, e-mails, or suggestions, send only one a week to let them know that we still want this tool, but that we're not pestering them. I also encourage everyone here to contact blogs like TUAW or Engadget, MacRumors et. al. and try to have them publish something about this--the more people contact them, the more likely they are to do so. Maybe if the lack of a CAW tool gets some press, EA will change their mind about it. Furthermore, if you use social networking websites, (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.) please post this "news" there as well so that others will know how EA is treating their "beloved Mac folk." The "World Adventures" patch issue seemed to be resolved after it got some press, maybe EA will consider giving us access to the Create-A-World--BETA tool if this issue gets some press as well.
  • UronkaUronka Posts: 486 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm not a Mac user but sign me up because that is grossly unfair considering they only waited till way after the release of the Sims 3 to announce this when it has been in production for a good while now... Very underhand! :evil:
  • angie756angie756 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Sign me up. I'm not a mac user but EA needs to release this tool for Mac as well.
  • juicyoxjuicyjuicyoxjuicy Posts: 117 New Member
    edited December 2009
    signed.

go mac!
  • MFabianMFabian Posts: 8 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed!
  • star7887star7887 Posts: 147 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Sign me up! this is so not fair! We deserve the right to create a world too!
  • CjsGirlFriend22CjsGirlFriend22 Posts: 85 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed!!!!
  • YamattaYamatta Posts: 48 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed
    edited December 2009
    Hmmmm..... I'm not on the signed list, so maybe I wasn't clear.

100% SIGNED! :mrgreen:
  • jz123jz123 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited December 2009
    sign me up 100%
  • iJancyiJancy Posts: 68 New Member
    edited December 2009
    sign me up -I am a mac user and I would also like to have create a world!!
  • MoiSim51MoiSim51 Posts: 18 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Yes, i am signing
    --MoiSim51
  • PoptartsiclePoptartsicle Posts: 81 New Member
    edited December 2009
    signed

i haven't been playing the sims lately, but I'm sick of the mac being so left out.
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Thank you everyone for your continued support; please keep the signatures coming, and if you haven't done so already, consider contacting Apple/Technology (or even Computer Gaming) blogs to try and have them spread some publicity about this. The more publicity the lack of CAW--Beta for the Mac get, the better our chances of getting a CAW--Beta tool are.

Misstia and Walden95, I must apologize deeply for not including you in the previous post of petition signatures; in addition to WA acting buggy, these forums were acting buggy as well. Misstia, your post literally wasn't visible when I last updated the petition signatures, and I apologize for not adding you sooner. If it's any consolation, my post wasn't visible for over two hours after I actually made it, so I think there was a bit of a lag on the forums; again, I apologize. Walden95, I have no idea how, but I missed your initial "signed" note; your in the most current list of signatures. Again, I apologize for missing you the first time around.

Lucibelle, I apologize for not adding you sooner as well; now that I have your "signed" post, you're name is on the list of signatures here as well. :mrgreen: Trust me, I would've added you sooner, but I only updated the list of signatures today.

Again, I'd like thank the continued support of my fellow Mac users; your assistance is greatly appreciated, and I'm glad I'm not the only one whose annoyed with EA for trying to pull a fast one on us. Also, as I said in my previous post, I'd really like to thank the PC users who are signing this purely on principal; the Mac users here really appreciate your kindness, and would hopefully do the same thing for you. Considering that TS3 on the Mac is merely TS3 for Windows running through Cider emulation, I think we'd all support adding vsync to the windows version of the game, (rather than having Cider add it for the Mac only,) as well as any similar improvements.

I actually checked one of my old PCs recently just to see if it'd run the TS3 CAW--Beta tool. Unfortunately, in order to run TS3's "base" game, and CAW--Beta on the PC I looked at, I'd need to add a second 512MB RAM module, and bump up my Pentium 4 processor from 1.8GHz to a 2.0GHz model, and that would probably require a Motherboard upgrade that I have no way to perform. (If my board could handle a 2.0GHz chip, it might make the aforementioned upgrade affordable and worthwhile.) The thing is, I shouldn't have to check one of my old PCs; EA should just drop CAW--Beta into Cider the way they dropped the game itself into Cider, and I can't figure out why they aren't doing this in the first place.

Finally, I've removed the petition signatures from my previous posts to avoid seeming ridiculously redundant. I will of course continue to add and update the list of signatures when I post a new message in this thread. Thank you for your support everyone; as stated before, it's much appreciated.
  • deborah8929deborah8929 Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    signed
  • psiyoshsterpsiyoshster Posts: 15 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed!!

EA always leaves mac out. First the patch then this? What else will we be left out of?