Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suddenly Gay Sims

Comments

• PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited March 2018
    I have noticeed this as well. Normally I don't mind who the sims in my game have relations with. The only time I care is when I create a sim and in my mind they are this or that, then the game decides otherwise. I wish we had a way to pick a preference. Opposite Sex, Same Sex or Either. Toss in confused just the fun of it all.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I didn't notice this in my game yet. My sims usually only have whims to flirt with a person they have a romantic relationship with, and they also don't start romantic interactions out of nowhere if I don't initiate it.

I would also like an option in CAS for setting the gender preference, maybe under the gender settings we have already? Something like Gender Preference: Males, Females, Both, None?
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • avimilethavimileth Posts: 32 Member
    interesting
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Bjorn Bjergsen got the whim "flirt with Geoffrey Landgraab" in my game last night. Has to be a bug.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I don't see what the big deal is, this has been happening since TS2. I've had sims who were naturally attracted to the same sex, and I just roll with it. I don't control my sims THAT much. I watch them when they are in groups and I see who they are building up a relationship with the quickest, which usually means there is also an attraction there. When they added the Turn on/off system in TS2, I had sims falling for the same sex all the time just based on those attractors. I never knew Summer was a lesbian though, she's not at all aggressive in my game (if she's still alive. last time I saw her she was an elderly cook at a restaurant).
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
    edited March 2018
    Goth583 wrote: »
    I don't see what the big deal is, this has been happening since TS2. I've had sims who were naturally attracted to the same sex, and I just roll with it. I don't control my sims THAT much. I watch them when they are in groups and I see who they are building up a relationship with the quickest, which usually means there is also an attraction there. When they added the Turn on/off system in TS2, I had sims falling for the same sex all the time just based on those attractors. I never knew Summer was a lesbian though, she's not at all aggressive in my game (if she's still alive. last time I saw her she was an elderly cook at a restaurant).

But not everyone plays like this, there are players that want to have control over what happens in their games (me included). Not everyone wants to go with what the game decides.

I like to build stuff
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    @Goth583

Sims is supposed to be a sandbox game, meaning the player has the control and decides. This may be why my sims never go out or have many friends, because the game AI forces certain things I don't want.
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »

But not everyone plays like this, there are players that want to have control over what happens in their games (me included). Not everyone wants to go with what the game decides.

Well, The Sims franchise is built for us to have control over the sims; this is just what makes the game fun for me. I don't like to be in control 100%. There are mods out there that will make all your sims "straight" if that's what you want. EA will not change this in the game because they want to be realistic [and inclusive].
    @Goth583

Sims is supposed to be a sandbox game, meaning the player has the control and decides. This may be why my sims never go out or have many friends, because the game AI forces certain things I don't want.

I've been playing this franchise since TS1 came out, so I know all about HOW the game is meant to be played. I don't have fun having total control over my sims lives, its boring and puts me to sleep. You can influence the AI of the game if you are more involved, and there are mods out there as well that will let you do this. In the end it doesn't change the fact that The Sims is meant to be a game for everyone.

Well, The Sims franchise is built for us to have control over the sims; this is just what makes the game fun for me. I don't like to be in control 100%. There are mods out there that will make all your sims "straight" if that's what you want. EA will not change this in the game because they want to be realistic [and inclusive].

First you're saying that the game is fun for you because of the control you have, but then you state you don't want control, this contradicts itself a bit, but this doesn't matter. Fact is that with the AI like it is now, sims are flirting with neary everyone. It's the autonomy that needs a huge overhaul, and mods shouldn't be the only solution for this. If modders can do it, the devs could do it too. I like to be in control, but I also don't want all of my sims to be straight you know. This would be boring and unrealistc. I just want, like many others that posted here, that the sims I want to be straight don't randomly start to flirt with someone of the same sex and vice versa. The game should recognize a sim as straight or gay after several romantic interactions towards a specific gender have taken place and it should only change when the player directs a sim to do otherwise.

I like to build stuff
  • VuloriVulori Posts: 94 Member
    I just want to be able to choose my sims preferences or something. In previous games, I liked letting my sims decide via wants/whims. Now, it doesn't seem to matter. I go with the first sim they show a preference for, but then they want to flirt with every other sim when they're feeling flirty instead of the one they have the highest romance bar with. I'm just asking for my sims to be consistent instead of flirting with every sim they know, especially when they don't have the romantic trait. I'm not saying I want every sim to be straight, but I want to be able to set some sort of preference or something; heck, I would settle for my sim's 'flirt with ___" to target the sim with the highest romantic relationship nearby.

I guess in the end, the game needs some sort of way to set preferences and/or an attraction system. I can play with the way it is right now, but my sims pretty much stay home or go out singly.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Just throwing my 2 cents in here. I am a straight, white woman and that's what I typically play as. Now, my Sims have rolled whims that I followed thru that strayed from my normal game play.

If my female sim, who is in no serious relationship with anyone, wants to flirt with betty... by golly... we'll romance betty like no tomorrow.

I just wish we had a relationship system, where we could tag each sim as straight, gay, bi, faithful. Open relationship, player. Non committal.... etc. Because while I tend to play how I live, straight white female married to white male, my Sims can chose whoever they want, I just want them to pick something and follow thru.

Great, Janet, you've got eyes for betty. Let's make that happen, but I don't want to see you flirting with Don tomorrow, cause you are a faithful type SIM.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    I fail to see why this would be a problem... Why does it have to be a "glitch" or "bug" when Sims are gay?

Not saying the fact they are gay is a glitch, but the fact that you set a sim's preference to one thing and it switches. I had that happen with one of my gay characters suddenly wanting to flirt with the opposite sex. I took it as an experiment due to the fact it never happened again :lol:

I kinda wish they would just give us the option to choose which gender preferences a Sim has... I think that would be a much better solution. For example, once a Sim becomes a teen, we should be allowed to choose whether they have a preference of males, females, or both. I think that would be a nice feature to add.

I never would have thought to make Summer Holiday a lesbian. I think the little quirks programmed into the characters make them interesting.
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
    edited March 2018
    In much the same way that the Sims don't have to deal with racism and such, I feel like they're not as restrictive (self or societal) as we real humans are in their preferences either. I like to believe they like or dislike another Sim based on who that Sim is, personality wise and with compatibility and all that, in a more genuine sense, rather than full of unwarrented biases and things out of the Sim's control.

In my mind, a Good trait Sim might not like a Hot-Headed Sim, because they have a tendency to be angry and yell at others. And not because they wear an ugly colored hat or they have a certain skin or something like that. How gender specific can Sims really be when aliens impregnate male Sims and no one bats an eye? :D

Ummmmm, I actually captured this incident on video, because it was my Legacy Heir's wedding. My Simself (the founder) started flirting with the female bartender and Johnny Zest (her spouse) got really angry and wouldn't watch the vows being done. The bad moodlet was for "Flirty Spouse", but it definitely struck me as particularly bad because it was with a MOTSS.
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg

It's not the same thing. If you're playing a legacy and throwing a big wedding, you don't want to suddenly contend with the founder switching attraction preferences at the heir's wedding. And this glitch just started happening in the last few weeks, even though TS4 has been out since 2014.

Summer is quite aggressive in every neighborhood I play. She went to the Romance Festival with Ulrike Faust in one and started hitting on her autonomously there. In another, she had interactions available with Liberty that Sims normally only get when they have a fairly high Romance Bar (like "Confess Attraction"). Liberty rejected her advances. And then there was that screen cap I got of her chatting with Miko online - her fun was deep into the red and she would not sign off to do something fun. And the hearts kept appearing. Like Liberty, Miko rejected her. She's almost as bad as the Cow Mascot in TS2. In fact, I wonder if she IS the Cow Mascot in disguise...

First you're saying that the game is fun for you because of the control you have, but then you state you don't want control, this contradicts itself a bit, but this doesn't matter. Fact is that with the AI like it is now, sims are flirting with neary everyone. It's the autonomy that needs a huge overhaul, and mods shouldn't be the only solution for this. If modders can do it, the devs could do it too. I like to be in control, but I also don't want all of my sims to be straight you know. This would be boring and unrealistc. I just want, like many others that posted here, that the sims I want to be straight don't randomly start to flirt with someone of the same sex and vice versa. The game should recognize a sim as straight or gay after several romantic interactions towards a specific gender have taken place and it should only change when the player directs a sim to do otherwise.

I never said I don't want control, I said I don't like to control 100% of what my sims do, there is a difference. Second, I don't disagree that the devs could do the same thing as the modding community, I just don't see them doing it.

It's not the same thing. If you're playing a legacy and throwing a big wedding, you don't want to suddenly contend with the founder switching attraction preferences at the heir's wedding. And this glitch just started happening in the last few weeks, even though TS4 has been out since 2014.

Summer is quite aggressive in every neighborhood I play. She went to the Romance Festival with Ulrike Faust in one and started hitting on her autonomously there. In another, she had interactions available with Liberty that Sims normally only get when they have a fairly high Romance Bar (like "Confess Attraction"). Liberty rejected her advances. And then there was that screen cap I got of her chatting with Miko online - her fun was deep into the red and she would not sign off to do something fun. And the hearts kept appearing. Like Liberty, Miko rejected her. She's almost as bad as the Cow Mascot in TS2. In fact, I wonder if she IS the Cow Mascot in disguise...

Summer in my game is just an annoying neighbor who only shows up during the welcome wagon. Outside of that I see her mostly at a restaurant cooking. I have never played Summer, never tried befriending her, etc... This is probably why I don't see her acting this way in my game.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

For me it’s not about making my sims straight. It’s about making sims consistent. I have a gay sim called Abby. She lived with her girlfriend. When I rotate away from her house, Abby is suddenly into men. That’s not my plan for her.

I made a thread a few months ago in feedback about this issue. It’s called Sims will flirt with anyone. The reason for that thread came about because my sim had just got married and was expecting a baby. Her new husband took it upon himself when he was feeling flirty to flirt with his father in law in front of his mother in law and new wife. While my sims didn’t care; I do.

I don’t mind my sims doing small things when I’m not playing them or not focusing on them. But I don’t want them changing preferences like a light switch. It’s supposedly my game.

They can be inclusive and realistic with relationships. If a game released in 2004 can give you the ability to set gender preference (as well as attraction) by in game behaviours then the sims 4 should have the ability. It’s not difficult. Granted the sims 4 doesn't appear to like choices toggles so I don’t expect this to be implemented.
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I wish that we could have a trait like "faithful" and sims with that trait would not get the option to flirt with others outside of their spouse , neither would they autonomously flirt with randoms.
  • SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    You know how we can control whether or not they can impregnate or be impregnated? And fashion choice, male/female, pee standing or no? I think that menu needs to be expanded.

Prefers Male/Female/Both

And two more traits, Faithful and Frisky. Faithful sims, once they have a romantic interest with someone, will never develop a romantic interest in anyone else, unless forced by the player (you). Frisky sims will flirt with anyone regardless of romantic status.

Those two things would fix almost all these problems.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I haven't had that happen in any of my games.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited March 2018
    I am well aware that some of the Sims are gay, like Summer Holiday, who is very, very gay. I'm okay with that. But lately, all of my Sims have been rolling Wants to Flirt with members of the same sex. I'm talking Bella Goth, Don Lothario, even Johnny Zest. I draw the line at Johnny Zest. Johnny is not allowed to be gay in my game, not now, not ever. Is this a glitch any of you are experiencing, or some secret Sims conspiracy?

Nga5gE.gif

Weird, Summer held no interest for members of the same gender for anyone in my game. I don't think the character was even meant to be gay, if I recall her household description correctly.

I don't really pay any attention to the whims in TS4 since they're so pointless to me, however, a lot of my female Sims will attempt to flirt with members of the same sex, when I don't want them to nor would I want them to, while the Sim herself is flirty.

I find this very annoying. It's inconsistent with how you may want the Sim to be. For example, my Sim's son flirted with his step-mother and she returned the flirt. I don't ever want that to happen again.

I'm digressing a bit, but I really dislike how the game handles autonomous flirting.
  • LoveMyMeowLoveMyMeow Posts: 38 Member
    The autonomous flirting/woohooing can get quite annoying and it's one of the few times I resort to mod to fix the issue. The game should allow the player to have complete control over important decisions in the sims's life such as love interests and preferences.
  • edwie22edwie22 Posts: 100 Member
    I am well aware that some of the Sims are gay, like Summer Holiday, who is very, very gay. I'm okay with that. But lately, all of my Sims have been rolling Wants to Flirt with members of the same sex. I'm talking Bella Goth, Don Lothario, even Johnny Zest. I draw the line at Johnny Zest. Johnny is not allowed to be gay in my game, not now, not ever. Is this a glitch any of you are experiencing, or some secret Sims conspiracy?

Summer was never gay in my game, interesting! It was Travis the first one to cross the sidewalk, but given his look, I was not surprised. Don Lothario kept flirting with all my male ones but apparently he is bi, and Bella will screw anything that moves. At least that is how they have behaved in my game. But unlike getting gay sims out of nowhere, I have one who is very, very, VERY straight. To the point that when men flirt with him he gets really mad. It's funny. Haha

Never played Johnny Zest enough to know, but you are right, he shouldn't be. Hahaha

• FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited March 2018
    Well.. i have been trying ages for my sim to finally get together with his first gay crush, but he is married now and it seems that this 'soul mate' (thats what his crush is supposed to be) does not EVER let him come closer and gets angry with the slightest flirt. I wish he would be a bit more gay now :'D
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top