Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 things you miss in TS3 (this is no "which-is-better-discussion"!)

On the TS4 section of the forums, there are so many threads about what TS3 did better than TS4, but I'm interested in the opposite. If you play both games and switch between them like me, you may have noticed some features TS4 has that you miss when playing TS3. I have a few, but not soo many.

This thread isn't meant to bash any of the two games, and this is not supposed to end in a discussion about which game is better, it's just a little comparison thread.

In TS3, I miss:
  • being able to edit sims/families from Edit Town
  • being able to add new family members to the family tree without mods
  • that bars, nightclubs and lounges have no opening times
  • that teens can live on their own without mods

That's for me, which features from TS4 do you miss when playing TS3? :smile:
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Comments

• Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    I don't hop between games, but I played TS4's "Get to Work" expansion and can say that I wish Sims 3 had detective and doctor professions as well because I thought those were fun choices for a more hands on sims working experience. Then again, my ideal Sims game would have all careers be actually playable, along with school. But I think that might be too much for other simmers. :lol: But imagine TS3 uni type gameplay, but with your child sims in their school. D: Imagine playing recess? Gah! It'd be so cute. :(
  • wen15wen15 Posts: 149 Member
    Teens can live on their own in TS4? Oh wow.

I do not own TS4, I've only played sporadically. What I can say from what I know is that I wish there was the club system in TS3, it was a fun thing in Get Together. I'd like the restaurant pack on TS3 as well.
    Manila_and_Jason_Wedding_sig.jpg
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    wen15 wrote: »
    Teens can live on their own in TS4? Oh wow.

I do not own TS4, I've only played sporadically. What I can say from what I know is that I wish there was the club system in TS3, it was a fun thing in Get Together. I'd like the restaurant pack on TS3 as well.

I totally forgot the club system, yeah I would love it in TS3, too. And yeah, teens can live on their own as much as I know, it's actually perfect for certain storylines.

I like to build stuff
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't switch between the two very often but I have put a couple of hours into the game.
    • I like having sliders but I also like the push-pull aspect of TS4 CAS.
    • Toddlers are more difficult and detailed
    • Vampires came with skill trees
    • Club system as mentioned would be nice to have as well.
    • Veterinarian profession
    • Roombas! I just thought about this the other day. I got one in RL and then starting to think about having one in TS3.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    The search feature in build/buy.

That you can raise/lower windows.

The way the light comes through the windows.

That is all.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    The search feature in build/buy.

That's it.

(I only have the base game).
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The search feature in build mode and certain cas features.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    Like jessa_dakkar said about raising and lowering window. That's great!

I also like hats being added separately instead of included as part of hair.

Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    Oh wow, completely forgot about the search feature in build/buy. That too. That would be extremely helpful in TS3.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    When I returned to TS3 some weeks ago, I missed the club system and the possibility to travel to public lots with friends. The design of social interactions is much better in TS4.
    I agree with the ones who mentioned the search feature in build buy. Sometimes I look for a specific object and want to search for it until I realize that I can't because TS3 doesn't have it xD

I like to build stuff
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Emily4331 wrote: »
    I don't hop between games, but I played TS4's "Get to Work" expansion and can say that I wish Sims 3 had detective and doctor professions as well because I thought those were fun choices for a more hands on sims working experience. Then again, my ideal Sims game would have all careers be actually playable, along with school. But I think that might be too much for other simmers. :lol: But imagine TS3 uni type gameplay, but with your child sims in their school. D: Imagine playing recess? Gah! It'd be so cute. :(

Totally agree! @Emily4331

What I miss the most is Get To Work careers, actually I purchased Sims 4 just for that, other than that I don't play with it but only with Sims 3.
    Other good stuff:
    The CAS- there is something more intuitive in the Sims 4, and also I like that the body shape is more adjustable (muscles/fats) thus more realistic.
    In general, the sims 3, as a game that was out in ~2009 (?) is a little outdated sometimes as far as clothing/objects. I really like sims 4 clothing, and the fact that a smartphone/texting is basic. By the way I like that they can sit while texting/talking on the phone (unlike the sims3 where they need to stand up).
    I like that toddlers can go to bed on their own.
    I like the short loading time.
    I noticed that there are some cool dancing moves in the sims 4 (in sims 3 they're a bit predictable).
    Downloading lots/households from online while in the game.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't want active careers or schools- they're repetitive. The Groups are something I always forget to use in tS2 so I don't see me using it in TS4. There really is nothing I miss from TS4 when I play TS3 or even when I play TS2.

I also really don't like having to be on line to play or even start the game... nope.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    I miss some of Sims 4’s building tools (like the different wall heights and being able to adjust the height of windows).

And I miss right clicking to turn the camera. That is possible in 3 when you press ctrl at the same time, but somehow that doesn’t go naturally for me, so in 3 I always use the arrows. Which is fine, but the right click turning goes really great for me and I find myself doing it (in vain :p ) in 3 each time I’ve played 4.

Oh, and sims wearing their normal clothes while pregnant (but that’s a minor one tbh because I also like the challenge to design the few acceptable maternity clothes we have in 3 in such ways that my sim looks nice anyway ;)).

fkXw7sS.png

v7jS9JY.png

Oh, p.s. (after reading): indeed how buy mode is organized (and CAS).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Primarily CAS and the way B&B is organized. I also like the apartments in TS4 more, and I like the emotion system (even if it could still use some tweaking in 4).
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    My list and I'll be so happy if there are a team who could add them in sims 3 in a giant patch ! (yeah we can dream....)

1. Search bar
    2. the MOO with making objects bigger and smaller (no need omsp)
    3. The toddlers because they are cute in sims 3 they are boring.
    4. The pets that can climb on coffee table.
    5. Cuddle in sofa interaction
    6. The pet training
    7. The jealous trait
    8. Napping on the bath
    9. The vet clinic and carreer
    10. Pet illnesses
    11. The pets fears and love
    12. Hospital that isn't a rabbit hole
    13. There is a prison in the game.
    14. Vlad the vampire
    15. The don't wake the lama game (why in sims 2 this game existed)
    16. The jungle world for WA.
    17. The calling system when we receive an invitation by phone
    18. All the interactions of the vampires. I can't accept my vampire didn't turn into a bat why why why !!
    19. The fact when a cc is wrong, the game tells you before starting. Very important for cc users.

hmm for now it's all but maybe I'll add some stuffs. I am a forever sims 3 fan.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • GemSixxGemSixx Posts: 144 Member
    > @JoAnne65 said:

> And I miss right clicking to turn the camera. That is possible in 3 when you press ctrl at the same time, but somehow that doesn’t go naturally for me, so in 3 I always use the arrows. Which is fine, but the right click turning goes really great for me and I find myself doing it (in vain :p ) in 3 each time I’ve played 4.

If you can click down on the scroll wheel on your mouse, you can turn the camera that way.

I miss the gallery for Sims 4. Open it up, get what you want and use it without ever having to leave the game.

Completely done with EA

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    GemSixx wrote: »
    > @JoAnne65 said:

> And I miss right clicking to turn the camera. That is possible in 3 when you press ctrl at the same time, but somehow that doesn’t go naturally for me, so in 3 I always use the arrows. Which is fine, but the right click turning goes really great for me and I find myself doing it (in vain :p ) in 3 each time I’ve played 4.

If you can click down on the scroll wheel on your mouse, you can turn the camera that way.

I miss the gallery for Sims 4. Open it up, get what you want and use it without ever having to leave the game.
    I think I tried that but it somehow didn’t work...But I’ll try again, thanks. And yes, most definitely the gallery!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    1. The search bar in the Buy/Build mode.
    2. Raising/lowering windows/wall items in Buy/Build mode.
    3. Direct body morphing in Create-A-Sim mode.
    4. Smooth camera movement during free camera mode.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Emily4331 wrote: »

I want that to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited March 2018
    TS4 things that I want in TS3? :D

1. Being able to resize objects to stupidly massive proportions. :D Who else wants a planet-sized TV? YEAH...ME! :D
    2. Being able to morph in TS4's version of CAS.
    3. Insane being "able to talk to inanimate objects". Oh...the endless hilarity.
    4,. Fully fleshed out professions rather than "rabbitholes"
    5. The randomly hilarious ways to die - like being "woohoo'd to death" or getting so angry that you can drop dead or pretty much dying from embarrassment. :D That would be funny as well as morbid. But hey...in for penny, in for a pound.
    6. THE BUILD MODE. drag and pull is easier for those who aren't "architecturally inclined". I like TS3's, but it would make life a lot easier for those who aren't so architecturally minded to have a format like TS4 where you can just drag and drop into place a preconceived room.
    7. The fully fleshed out supernatural life-state (Vampires). I would like to see what a fully-fleshed out werewolf is like...but they've just left it at vampires. What a pity.
    8. If they could just fine-tune the multitasking so that it works...and you don't take half the day doing one task, "multi-tasking" could be awesome. It would be nice to be able to talk and eat at the same time (along with the choking to death hazard - hey, include that in a patch...don't inhale your food, kiddies, while you're eating...or you might DIE!!!!

See...I can say nice things about TS4. :D

River%2526Haruo_sarcasmTS4.jpg
    CORRECTED. :D

(Disclaimer: This TS4 picture of River and Haruo does not imply that the creator of this image has thereby coughed up the money to buy TS4...or has played TS4 in any way shape or form...other than the Sims 4 Demo and CAS Demo. No exchanges, refunds or substitutions.) Yuh...OK...
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    [*] that teens can live on their own without mods

Teens can live on their own without mods in TS3. I did that several times before I started using mods. You just can't make a teen only household in CAS. You have to make them with an adult and either kill them off or move them out. Maybe that's what you actually meant? You'd like to be able to make teen only households?

Anyway, I don't switch between the two games. I played TS4 for a few months, but when an update made the must have mods I was using unusable, that killed all desire to play it. In fact, if it weren't for NRaas Relativity and Story Progression, I would have quit playing TS3 by mid-2014, about 2 years or less after I started playing it. And there's nothing like NRaas Relativity for TS4. Yes, there is a mod called relativity, but it does the exact opposite of what I use NRaas Relativity for in TS3, with no option to slow the clock instead of the sims, so it would only make matters worse. Still, there are a few things I liked about TS4, that I wish TS3 had.

I liked making sims in CAS. It was great being able to vary any body part however you want, by clicking on that part and pulling or pushing it. It made them so much more realistic with different body shapes, not just sizes. And I especially loved that hats were separate clothing, not hair.

I liked the way they did cooking in TS4, how you can choose different size batches to make, and you can tell how long the leftovers have before they're going to spoil.

I liked the tea kettle and them being able to make tea.

I don't remember quite what could be done with multi-tasking, but I do remember that I liked it.

I never bought any EP's, but a friend who plays both shared pictures of her TS4 toddlers and told me all about them. If I ever feel like playing TS4 again, I'm definitely going to get toddlers, because I would love how they can go to bed by themselves, learn to navigate stairs, interact with each other, get food for themselves that is put out for them, and probably a lot more that I can't remember or that she didn't tell me about. They definitely did toddlers right!

I know there were other things, but it's been so long, I can't remember at the moment.
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    On the TS4 section of the forums, there are so many threads about what TS3 did better than TS4, but I'm interested in the opposite. If you play both games and switch between them like me, you may have noticed some features TS4 has that you miss when playing TS3. I have a few, but not soo many.

This thread isn't meant to bash any of the two games, and this is not supposed to end in a discussion about which game is better, it's just a little comparison thread.

In TS3, I miss:

@Huiiie_07 , I’m currently playing a 7 teen one toddler household, but have played a bunch of teens only households. I even played a few child only households the only problem with child only is you need a teen or YA in the household to save it if you want to switch households otherwise it will show up on the map as an empty house. I am totally mod/CC free..for the record..

In TS3, I miss:

@Huiiie_07 , I’m currently playing a 7 teen one toddler household, but have played a bunch of teens only households. I even played a few child only households the only problem with child only is you need a teen or YA in the household to save it if you want to switch households otherwise it will show up on the map as an empty house. I am totally mod/CC free..for the record..

Mb, I totally forgot that they actually can live on their own, like @IreneSwift said, I only thought about not being able to create teen-only households. I simply didn't think further in my op :wink:

I like to build stuff
  • wen15wen15 Posts: 149 Member
    @IreneSwift I've played this game for this long and I'm only learning this now lol. I never tried to make a teen live on their own, wow. We learn every day xD

And you guys are almost making want to try TS4 again...almost!
    Manila_and_Jason_Wedding_sig.jpg