Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hello All - Long Time No See

I seriously doubt that there is anyone out there who remembers me. I actually have not been able to play the sims for about two years. My Computer exploded. Ok, well the power supply died on me and I had not been able to afford to fix it. I have managed to purchase a new, refurbished laptop, that does allow me to play the sims. However, I've noticed something, I have completely forgotten how to play the Sims.

I really don't know if I will be able to go back to playing it, at least not the way that I use to. See. I was really into the Sims when my family was alive, but when my mother passed in 2015, I kind of lost interest. She was my last family member. I do have relatives, but relatives who wouldn't notice if I was in my apartment or a thousand miles away. Well, I am officially a thousand miles away now. I moved from Georgia to Arizona a few months ago.

I actually enjoy Arizona more than I thought, although I am afraid of the Summers.

How has everything been with the SIms 3. I know that the sims 3 website's community was shut down, which sucks. I don't like everything combining.

Right now I am downloading all of the expansion packs. The Internet is so much slower than I'm use to, so it should be about this time tomorrow before all of the expansion packs are installed.

I guess I'm just bored and want to reconnect with some people who may remember me in my old life (before things went haywire and changed in the blink of an eye).

Comments

• GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Welcome back!

It's a bit of a learning curve with managing needs and planning your sims days, I would recommend starting with a single sim and refiguring it out from there.

You may also want to do one expansion at a time, I made the mistake of installing 3 at once last month and was a bit overwhelmed by all my new options.

Sorry to hear about your mother. Hope you enjoy your new start, and from someone who lives in a place with insane summers to another, margaritas are your friend ;)
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    True, but I live with a roommate now, and I have come to realize that one margarita (good), three margaritas (not so good). I think I will stick with really strong green tea for right now. Mainly because I'm pretty sure my job wouldn't like me showing up for work happy. I might give away tablets and cell phones left and right.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hi. I have no idea who you are, according to your posting history our times on the forum never really intersected. But am also very sorry to hear about your family, hope you are doing well with your fresh start in AZ, and welcome back. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Hi. I have no idea who you are, according to your posting history our times on the forum never really intersected. But am also very sorry to hear about your family, hope you are doing well with your fresh start in AZ, and welcome back. :)

I was very active in The Sims 3. By the time the Sims 4 came out my circumstances had changed.

• IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Welcome back @mikkimouse1978 . I don't remember ever meeting you here before, though I've been active here for almost 6 years. I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. I agree with @Goulsquash that it might be easier for you if you don't try playing with all the expansion packs at once just yet. There is so much to each of them, it can be overwhelming. But if you have any questions about how to do anything, there are always players here ready and willing to give you any help you might need. I hope we'll see a lot of you on here, now that you're going to be playing again.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @mikkimouse1978 Welcome back. Although I don't remember you (forgive me if we did "meet" in the past as my memory is shot), I also had a long break from the sims. You will be surprised how quickly it comes back to you once you actually start playing :)
    Sorry for the passing of your mother. I know how heart breaking this is. My break coincided with my mother's passing and a move to another country and then when I settled down real life got in the way and it took me a while longer to get back into the game. I was very active on the old forum but have only been active here for just over a year when I started to sim again.
    Good luck with your new life in Arizona :) I wish you the best and I am sure that if you do need to ask for help to remember how to play that people will be happy to help you.
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    Hi, welcome back. I'm quite new to the forum so we have not crossed paths. So sorry to hear about your mum, my father passed in 2016 so I feel your pain. Sorry you have no family around you, my friend always says your friends are the family you choose yourself. Sending you hugs and wishing you lots of happiness in your new home. <3
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Welcome back! Sims 3 is doing just fine! I'm a Sims 3 veteran, but wasn't that active on the old forum, so I don't remember you, and you probably don't remember me, but: Nice to meet you! :smiley:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Welcome back :) We never met before but it is always good to see TS3 players rejoin the community.

Things have obviously been tough for you and I am so sorry you lost your Mum. The Sims is a brilliant way to start the recovery process and as the others have said, just start small. Sometimes changing the way we play is part of the recovery process. Years ago I would not have touched CAW but at the moment it is all consuming. The main thing is to enjoy the game.

And I find coffee is best to drink when playing :D
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Welcome back. I see you left in 2014 and I started simming in 2015, so yeah, we’ve never met. I hope you enjoy it here.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Hi, welcome back to the Sims. I don't recall meeting you, but wasn't really talkative back a few years ago, was more of a lurker. We have a great community of simmers here who love sharing stories, pics and advice. I'm sorry about your mother and hope you have found peace with it. My Dad passed away last year. It has not been easy, but am more at peace with it now. Will look for you in the threads. Happy simming.
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Hello there :p And there is a townie in Isla Paradiso named Minnie Moose,blue eyed blonde girl.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi! :mrgreen:

My condolence to you on the loss of your mother. :(
    and Nice to see ya. :cookie:
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hello and welcome back.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to find new friends in your new home. That of course means you'll need to spend some time away from your game. I've recently, over the past 2 or 3 years, been meeting some locals from the area in which I live because I've been taking care of two little dogs for one of my sons. I take them to a local dog park and everyone there is friendly and that's where I go for a friendly chat whenever I can get there. Otherwise I'm at home all the time.

I've been around the forums for a few years now - started on the forums in 2012 but have had Sims 3 since release in 2009.

I used to hang out in the Store General Discussion and helped out with Technical Issues. I don't do much of the tech assistance these days, and after the old site ended I moved to this forum. I rarely add new threads here but enjoy participating in threads others make.

I do sometimes add threads to Creative Corner where I talk about my videos. I started putting things on YouTube last year to learn about YouTube. If you're interested in watching a few videos here's the link to my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuW44b3uCMtCSaq4gwC8EZg/playlists

I've just found out about playlists and have made a few.

Another thing I've started doing is making tutorial videos. My tutorials are a bit long. I think YouTube prefers them to be short and snappy but I've noticed a lot of people are convinced they can't do things that I think are reasonably straight forward. I got to thinking about those tutorials that are on YouTube and I realise I often have to watch them several times to work out what's going on, and that might be why YouTube want short snappy tutorials - to get more views. But I decided to do mine in a slow, methodical step by step approach. I cover only one thing at a time but often other information creeps into the videos if something happens that I feel needs explaining.

I have one playlist for my tutorial videos - I'm still trying to work out how playlists work and it may not be a good idea to have the tutorials in play lists. Or maybe I'll have to have separate play lists for each type of tutorial. I'll work it out in the end. For now there is one playlist for all tutorials I've done. Today I'm working on a video on how to build ports.

My other videos are all stories and each story has a particular theme.

The one I started with last year has the most posts and it began in Isla Paradiso. The first playlist about it is their early days in Isla Paradiso where we get to know them and they have a few babies and complete a few things such as discovering all the islands and getting to the top of the Lifeguard career.

I have mods in my game now, didn't have any until late 2014 so I'm relatively new to them too.

Because of my mods I can have more than 8 sims in a household - which is fortunate because the Isla Paradiso Bunch have had a few children. There are witches, genies, humans and mermaids in the household. EDIT: Oops - I forgot about the plant sims. There are two of them too. We see their 'mother' using the science machine to do her gene splitting experiment, plant the forbidden fruit seeds she gets and then pick two plant sim babies then we watch them grow up. They have recently aged up to children in my game but they are still toddlers in the videos at this point.

The second playlist on the Isal Paradiso Bunch is about their Adventures. This has turned into a walk through of all of the tombs in each of the three worlds. My plan is for them to collect the each object belonging for the Tomb Collection in each of the WA worlds.

Then there is Caroline and Friends. This series is about me getting badges I haven't been able to get previously in spite of my sims completing the requirements to get the badges. And lots of other badges that I haven't tried for yet. It's still a relatively new series. Caroline is living alone at the moment as I found out a few of the Isla Paradiso badges don't trigger if you have more than one sim in a household. I've recorded game play for all of the Isla Paradiso Badges that I hadn't already managed to get and can assure you that having one sim in a household works for those badges.

Once Caroline got the difficult to get badges I added a friend, Wilma, and they have started working through the University Life badges. Plus others. I'll be adding additional sims to this household as time goes along as different badges require sims with different traits or life states.

Another series I'm working on is all about families and relationships. That is Oscar and Louise. This stemmed from a game I was playing to test out two new base game only sims I made and put into my studio. I made them when I bought a new computer and I had only the Base Game installed and I had patched to 1.55. They got along unexpectedly well and got married and had 15 babies. They were so much fun that I decided on making a new video series about them and I'm currently working on Episode 6 which shows Louise growing up in Riverview with her family. She will leave Riverview and move to Hidden Springs when she ages up to Young Adult. She'll meet Oscar they will get to know each other and eventually marry and I'll start moving the children from the other game into their household as I want to see them all grow up. I've added sims to their family trees to give them parents, and the children will have grandparents. I want to see how that affects their genetics. Therefore, they are going to have a few more babies. It's going to be a huge household but I have the mods and computing power to do it. I am hoping the videos will end up as much fun as the original game. The fun is caused by the sim's traits and their animations and autonomous actions.

Then there is the McFluff Story. This is about a witch who lives alone in Hidden Springs. Various sims rotate through her home. She has 15 cats because she wants to befriend 15 cats as her lifetime wish. Then she gets the idea she wants to turn her cats into humans. Soon a friend will move in with her. This friend is Iris Green and Iris will stay with Gertie. Iris will marry and have at least one child and they will all live together. By the time Iris has had great great grandchildren Gertie will be a very old witch and will die leaving her home to one of the gggrandchildren who will eventually work out how to turn the cats into humans. This was inspired by a few interesting skins I found.

Apart from that, I've been playing around with mermaids a lot lately and there are two playlists with a few videos about my mermaids.

That's it.

I hope you soon get into your game and enjoy your sims better than before.

I always find doing badges is a great way to learn new things about the game. I've done lots of badges already and each time it's been because I wanted to learn something new that can be done in the game. Currently I'm on a quest to do just about everything that I haven't already done.

Happy Simming - and good luck with your new home.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Hi there @mikkimouse1978 and welcome back to the community,I've been a part of the forums since 2013 and have been playing my game heavily Modded for the most part since then as well.I'm playing my TS2 and TS3 games on an almost six year old laptop and TS3 is loaded with well over 700 Mod files and I play it TS2 style rotationally with my town being played.I've also got a desert world in testing from CAW which is due to be released for sharing.
    I've also got a 100 baby challenge in Storybrook County and had to put it on hold to set up NRaas Tempest to fix the weather for my town before resuming the live play and progressing the town.I hope to get a few more families moved into there in the next few years as new settlers are slow in coming like they were hundreds of years ago in colonial North America.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Welcome back :smile: I do remember seeing you around before.

Sorry to hear about the past few years :( Hopefully you can enjoy playing The Sims again :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Welcome back and welcome to Arizona! So very sorry for the loss of your mom.
  • wen15wen15 Posts: 149 Member
    Welcome back! I'm not very active here much so I definitely do not remember you, I'm mostly a lurker.
    Hope you will find companions and fun times here!
    And I'm really sorry for your loss, and I hope you adjust well to your new environment :)
    Manila_and_Jason_Wedding_sig.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I may not remember you but welcome back! And I hope you'll get the hang of the game again soon. Just play and everything's gonna be alright. Really sorry about your family by the way.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • avimilethavimileth Posts: 32 Member
    interesting