August 7 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!
Are you ready for the The Sims Spark'd? Discuss the final episode here! Don't forget to use spoiler tags! Need a refresher? Click here!

Small rant on the cloud system

CoffeeBeanPopcornCoffeeBeanPopcorn Posts: 1,587 Member
edited March 2018 in The Sims FreePlay
I lost about 3 years of data because of a misunderstanding with the cloud system.

I was preparing to migrate my data from my iPad to my cellphone, and so I saved it to the cloud. I cleared the data (I was going to give it away anyway)

Well, I didn’t get to download the data back to my cellphone as it was charging at the time (just plugged in in fact) and then played on the iPad for a while. The newly cleared save data apparently replaced my cloud save data as I pressed the Social Boat button.

When I got to my phone, I was surprised to see the save data. I actually didn’t realize that the cloud auto-saves when you open the social tab.

The latest save data related to the newly-gone data was saved 3 years ago. I lost a huge chunk of the game’s content. If you want to know how much I lost, let’s just say that the bridge to the island wasn’t built yet.

I was annoyed, but pretty much accepted that there’s no way I would get the old, wiped-out save data again. I lost about 3 years of progress, 8 levels, and a large amount of money just because of an autosave.

(P.S. The 7 day data limit doesn’t exist apparently. The 3 year old data loaded with no problems.)
I'm back!

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited March 2018
    I agree that you have to be very careful in such situations and not to play the game again until you have downloaded the savegame that you really want.

I also know that old data offen still exist because I haven used my old IPad 2 for several years after buying a new iPad 2 Air. But still I can see that there is a backup of that old iPad 2 in the cloud and it takes up a couple of GB.