Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UK/EU Forum??

I was just wondering - why isn't there a forum for UK and European simmers like there is for the Australian & New Zealand simmers?? I'm quite new here so I don't know if there has been one in the past or something but it seems like there should be.

I joined this forum to meet new people & share my love of the Sims but the time difference means I can never really have a real-time conversation with anyone, since it seems like so many people here are American or at least live in North America. If I post something you can guarantee I have to wait 12+ hours for a response.

Having a forum for those of us in GMT or other such timezones would be a huge help.

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    edited March 2018
    They used to have a section over here for the UK/EU but got rid it. It was located in The Sims 3 section. They got rid of it due to not having a lot of activity going on in it.

A quote from SimGuruDrake when she had posted the changes to the forum back in 2016... :)
    The Sims 3 UK section will now have it's content filtered into the appropriate main sections of The Sims 3 area. As there isn't as much activity in that section and most members are engaging in the general section we feel this will help boost The Sims 3 section and to focus conversation.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/891676/changes-coming-to-the-forums#latest

We actually do have a lot of members from the EU sector that's probably on when you're one during those hours... :)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    we don’t need a UK section and most of Europe is covered by various languages in other forums on here
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • oldaccountnotworkingoldaccountnotworking Posts: 21 Member
    Might have to make my own forum or a Discord server for UK members :tongue:
    I agree though, as a UK member, I find in many game forums across the board, including multiplayer games, both EA and not, that I can feel isolated from all of the action that goes on in opposing timezones. Meh, at least we don't have Trump.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited March 2018
    I even don't use my language forum such here people often cares of what I post and I have been helped for real with patient and kind people.
    I am from the future European States Union. CEST time tomorrow ahaha so one hour more than in the UK.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm a fellow Brit, and to be honest I don't feel a need to have a British or European Section of the Forums - I mean, what would we talk about that we can't discuss in the Off Topic section? Besides, we should be embracing diversity and celebrating everyone's cultures and nationalities, rather than promoting segregation.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    They're just weening us aussie/kiwi weirdos into the main forum.

Just as the UK section was eventually dissolved, the ANZ one will do the same one day.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,275 Member
    edited March 2018
    @oldaccountnotworking

It's not allowed to discuss politics here, so you might want to edit your post.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2018
    Movotti wrote: »

Just as the UK section was eventually dissolved, the ANZ one will do the same one day.

Was there an explanation given as to why that Australian forum exists? I feel like as long as you're speaking in English you should just do so in the main forum.
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Was there an explanation given as to why that Australian forum exists? I feel like as long as you're speaking in English you should just do so in the main forum.

Half the time, we don't speak american english.
    So grab your togs, put on your thongs, and let's drive by maccas on the way for a dip.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

So grab your togs, put on your thongs, and let's drive by maccas on the way for a dip.

2hrdglf.jpg
  • Imaginativ3Imaginativ3 Posts: 51 Member
    I'm a fellow Brit, and to be honest I don't feel a need to have a British or European Section of the Forums - I mean, what would we talk about that we can't discuss in the Off Topic section? Besides, we should be embracing diversity and celebrating everyone's cultures and nationalities, rather than promoting segregation.

Actually, my point wasn't about having a forum so we can talk about stuff, it was mostly about the fact that conversation here (for me at least) sometimes feels stagnant because of the time difference. To have somewhere we can talk about things in real time would be helpful and even if you're not living in the UK or Europe - say you're in the US but you're up late nights/early mornings - you could join in as well. Anyway, I'm not demanding we need one, I was just wondering why there isn't one.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

Luckily I know lots of Aussie friends on the web and understood half of that.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • maxyyyymaxyyyy Posts: 6 New Member
    hopefully this isn't dead-

au/nz have a forum for themselves because we 7 hours ahead of america, most of the time when we are awake, theyre asleep.

also because au/nz is better
    maxyyyy wrote: »

au/nz have a forum for themselves because we 7 hours ahead of america, most of the time when we are awake, theyre asleep.

I feel I should be making a comment about kiwis and sheep, but I won't.
    maxyyyy wrote: »

You guys aren't the only ones. The UK is around 6 hours ahead of the US - depending on the state or daylight savings time. Usually, when Americans are just waking up, we've already gone through half the day.

Is American a language now?

The only words I know is sidewalk for pavement, trash can for rubbish bin and mail box for post box! :D

On a serious not though I see nothing wrong with just one forum for each language. There are a lot of English speakers here who do not speak English as a first language but can still speak it and would have more people to talk to than on a forum with only a minor number of Simmers in a certain language. I can imagine that the Spanish speaking community is quite large as well as is the German community
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited March 2018
    We don’t need a EU forum because the EU countries don’t have English as their first language (except Ireland). Therefore each EU country instead has its own Sims forum in its own language. We can use those forums just by changing language on the top of this page. I do that to visit the Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and German Sims forums because I understand those languages too.
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member

The only words I know is sidewalk for pavement, trash can for rubbish bin and mail box for post box! :D

On a serious not though I see nothing wrong with just one forum for each language. There are a lot of English speakers here who do not speak English as a first language but can still speak it and would have more people to talk to than on a forum with only a minor number of Simmers in a certain language. I can imagine that the Spanish speaking community is quite large as well as is the German community

"American English" is a thing
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman

"American English" is a thing

It is a variety of English like Australia English or South African English
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I don't think most of the browsers here even knew that there was a uk forum here. The separate uk forum was cancelled a long time ago and stuck at the very bottom of the Forum page not like the Aussie/NZ one which seems to have top priority. I have never liked being lumped in as a usa subsidiary. Now back to lurking again.
    It seems a few people aren't understanding my original reason for posting this discussion. Asking about a UK/EU forum has nothing to do with language - it's about the time difference between Europe and North/South America (where a large majority of people from this site seem to be from)

According to the forum rules (however I could be mistaken about this) everyone has to post in english on the forums anyway - except for sections created for a specific language. That being said, I do understand that if we ever did get our own forum, it would be up to us as UK/EU players to keep it alive by regularly taking part, there's no point in having an empty/dead forum.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    It seems a few people aren't understanding my original reason for posting this discussion. Asking about a UK/EU forum has nothing to do with language - it's about the time difference between Europe and North/South America (where a large majority of people from this site seem to be from)
    Okay. But then maybe it should just be a forum for the UK and Ireland? And why would you else want to exclude countries like Norway and Switzerland just because they aren’t members of the EU?
    At risk of sounding like I'm repeating myself, I'd just like to point out what I said before:

It's not about time zones, we can all post in the main parts of the forum at any time, keeping the whole place active 24/7.

The ANZ forum only really exists because we used to have a completely separate forum, the little corner here is for transitioning to the big scary US forum.
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    edited April 2018
    Reading myself through this thread gave me a few good laughs because it's funny reading about lame excuses for demanding a separate
    thread by state. The only thing I get out of this is that some ppl feel discriminated and sort of socially excluded and virtually blocked from such subdivided threads.
    I'm German and never felt the need to have an extra thread here. Yes, there is a German Sims Forum, but to be honest, I feel more comfortable here than over there which is why I have stopped using the German forum since july 2017. Especially after the latest ongoing over there where t-rated forum rules weren't taking serious enough. Although a few things have changed now, (thank you EA), but the bitter taste remain the same.

Here I've always loved that rules were taken very serious and that Moderators here "live by what they preach."
    I had never ever to wait 12 hours on an answer to my question as someone posted here. Whether from moderators nor from forum users. I'd even say that questions asked here, public or private, receive faster answers than in my native language (German) forum. I find it not recommended to subdivide this english speaking forum, because some ppl feel offended and I can understand why. Just by reading some sarcastic replys from some of you should tell the forum owners why it isn't such a good idea to subdivide this forum. Whether you are ahead or behind of central US time, for the sake of freedom separation or subdividing in a forum is wrong. Especially in todays times. BTW, I'm 6-9 hours ahead of US time and it has never bothered me.

If you guys want to meat up with ppl from your state to chat, create an extra chat thread and meet, but leave the forum global. The english Sims forum should not be devided by origin like a chat software.

This all been said, for any gramatical mistakes I apologize in advance. At least I'm trying to get my point across. And last but not least I want to give out a huge THANK YOU to rosemow who has been very helpful through all these times here. I don't know how she manage this very time consuming job, but she's a sure blessing to this forum!
    Post edited by LuvMySimz on
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I don't see the point really in a UK/EU forum just like I didn't see the point in the AUS/NZ forum (I am not being mean I promise I just don't really understand why you have your own forum, the rest of us don't bite...much :D:* ). If you want something like a real-time convo then it might be best to start up a discord channel, it's not that hard as I run one for another game, as that will be your best bet for that type of thing. I don't find forums to be the place for that sort of thing. Plus I don't mind waiting for a reply to my topics.