Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the sims 2 better than sims 3? what's your opinion?

Comments

• spoopyspoopy Posts: 21 New Member
    in ts3 the sims honestly look like straight up demons, especially the kids r creepy as heck
  • spoopyspoopy Posts: 21 New Member
    but i love ts4 tho
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    This is probably a relatively unpopular opinion, but I just can't stand The Sims 3. I bought The Sims 3 on release date and I remember feeling overwhelmingly disappointed, the disappointment barely lessened over the following years. I went back to The Sims 2 as soon as I could figure out how to get it running and to this day I'm still playing it.

Some people care about the open world (which I personally never felt belonged in a Sims game) or the ability to make everything in their house zebra print. I don't. I care about raw gameplay and how it connects with me. I'm still discovering new things about The Sims 2 and I've been playing it since 2004(!). For me, the possibilities on that game are endless. It's little things like being able to tweak my neighbourhoods and subhoods exactly how I want to, fine tuning everything I come across. I finally took the plunge and started playing The Sims 4 a couple of days ago and I like it a lot more than 3, but it's still missing that 'unlimited' feel.

So in short, you could say that I value the sandbox element of my game more than focusing on goals. I'm not a graphic fiend by any means but I've always found the sims in 3 completely repulsive, so there's that.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • 2tcn2tcn Posts: 58 Member
    As a fan of all 4 iterations of The Sims, I'd say yes, The Sims 2 is arguably better than The Sims 3.

TS2 is stable, full of life, had the deepest Sims of the series, plus the soundtrack was crafted beautifully with a distinct charm. Relationships were fully fledged, memories were accurate and helpful, interests were still a feature and the integration between packs was wonderful. The only gripe I have with it is that the hair and clothing is very 2000s-esque and as such did not age well. Thankfully this can be fixed with mods.

TS3 is full of possibilities. Various Traits added in fun and exclusive interactions, packs brought in absurd amounts of content and the Create A Style tool allowed you to be able to re-texture anything to your heart's desire. And if all that isn't enough, The Sims 3 Store has a plethora of content on offer.
    Unfortunately the game runs terribly no matter how beefy your PC is, and because of that I now play it the least often of all the games. Oh, and the royalty-free Build & Buy music gets on my nerves after a while. :lol:
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited February 2018
    No... not in everything. I like it better in building and in most of the looks. I just like TS2 Sims better. The game runs fine on my old computer. I don't understand why so many have such problems. :(
    If I could have the Sims 3 Sims faces just a tad different, I'd not need to play TS2. :(

*I should add that even though I don't get how many problems others have with TS3, I understand it does happen. I still wish I had a monster computer to run it better. :lol:

*Oh, and TS2 does have many better game play features, such as Open for Business.- which I prefer over TS3. :)
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
  • Saarah06Saarah06 Posts: 20 Member
    The sims 3...never played sims 2 but I'm biased
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    The retail and apartment systems in the Sims 2 put it above all the other Sims games to me :)

• annnnaabannnnaab Posts: 1 New Member
    I believe that both games are truly great. I think though, sims 2 has better gameplay. I love to decorate on sims 2. Even though the loading screens get to me, its better than crashing like TS3 does. TS3 lags A LOT as-well as crashing in the middle of gameplay. So I would o with sims 2.
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I find it a lot easier to drop into the game files of TS2 and repeatedly void my 'warranty.' I'd have to re-learn all my questionable expertise for TS3. :)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Handman50Handman50 Posts: 156 Member
    The Sims 2. No contest. It takes me 20 minutes just to load up my Sims 3 save. And the game bloats like crazy, I've had savefiles end up being multiple gigs. I can't even play most of the content without it crashing on me. The Sims 2 never had that issue. I have all the Sims games installed except 3 now.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Hmm...this is a tough one. The open world was a huge bonus for my game play. I think going from 2 where I went and played ever household for 24 hours and rotated to the next and then had to keep track of it all - omg - I had a notebook with the order of rotation at one point. Then to 3 it was like getting to play with 90 sims all at the same time. I didn't stick to one family like I think the game expected. I played with the whole town all at once through the use of mods. I set up my towns so that some sims were at work or school while others were home and could go out and about together. Then I would cycle through the ones getting home and set them off to do things or hang out with other sims. I loved the way it worked and was so seamless. It really expanded my play from TS2. It enhanced it.

But there were pitfalls to TS3, too. Namely, I think the sims themselves lacked personality and depth. They also didn't seek out the company of their family members the way they do in TS2. That always bothered me. And I think it would have been hard if I was more of a control freak and didn't leave some things up to chance.

I do love TS2 sims, I think they were the best in the series. They have so much character and I like the way the relationships were set up where one sim could like another sim and the other not feel the same. It brought depth to the game. But alas...when I play TS2, I miss the open world and I miss being able to play all at once without having to keep track of my rotation. Heck, there are even some features of TS4 that I miss like being able to move a whole house 1 click over if you made a mistake.
  • gabbyistomkimgabbyistomkim Posts: 21 Member
    Sims 2 because it's actually playable.
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I wish I could combine the two to make my perfect game, honestly. I love the open world concept of TS3, neighbors aging, everyone seems connected and life keeps moving as it should. Traits are an awesome feature, not to mention CAST. However, I cannot stand the look of TS3 sims. They all.look.the.same. Especially when they’re toddlers and kids, it bugs the crap out of me. Also, the sims feel less real. They don’t have great free-will like in TS2, and they just stand their like robots. TS2 would be perfect to me if it had an open world. It’s still by far my favorite, and I don’t mind rotational play. But I just wish neighbors and such would age WITH my sims.
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I wish I could combine the two to make my perfect game, honestly. I love the open world concept of TS3, neighbors aging, everyone seems connected and life keeps moving as it should. Traits are an awesome feature, not to mention CAST. However, I cannot stand the look of TS3 sims. They all.look.the.same. Especially when they’re toddlers and kids, it bugs the plum out of me. Also, the sims feel less real. They don’t have great free-will like in TS2, and they just stand their like robots. TS2 would be perfect to me if it had an open world. It’s still by far my favorite, and I don’t mind rotational play. But I just wish neighbors and such would age WITH my sims.

When I have townies that are relevant to a rotation, I usually move them into an apartment and manually age them every season with the sim blender. (Set hour to 17, play until they age a day, do it again, add 3 days with the sim blender...)

This way townies that are relatives of townies that married in, or townies who were once engaged to Grandma and shouldn't be the same age as her YA granddaughter, can be taken care of... and I can add or generate new townies.

(Also I make custom townies, so sometimes I'll make child and Teen "townies" and let them age up with their age cohorts... and make them dormies, or fill out a college house with them... easier to have them on a lot already rather than summoning them and making them over all the time.)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • kamra19610kamra19610 Posts: 461 Member
    There are for sure things in Sims 3 I like better, but over all I much prefer and play the Sims 2. Wish they would take all the best of 2 and 3 and make number 5. LOL I do not care about the open hood, but did like better and more body options. Fat sims fat all over and could have sims with big breasts and small, etc.. I prefer the game play in Sims 2 as far as playing in rounds. Could do that with help from a mod in Sims 3, but just not the same and I can not stick with playing one family.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I wish I could combine the two to make my perfect game, honestly. I love the open world concept of TS3, neighbors aging, everyone seems connected and life keeps moving as it should. Traits are an awesome feature, not to mention CAST. However, I cannot stand the look of TS3 sims. They all.look.the.same. Especially when they’re toddlers and kids, it bugs the plum out of me. Also, the sims feel less real. They don’t have great free-will like in TS2, and they just stand their like robots. TS2 would be perfect to me if it had an open world. It’s still by far my favorite, and I don’t mind rotational play. But I just wish neighbors and such would age WITH my sims.

This is exactly what I would like. Sims 2 gameplay with open world and story progression. Dream come true. <3
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »

This is exactly what I would like. Sims 2 gameplay with open world and story progression. Dream come true. <3

Yes. And don't forgot the amazing soundtrack from TS2. :heart:
    Lu4ERme.gif

That is what I thought TS4 was going to be. :s

Definitely!!
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

Me too. :s:'( Couldn't have been any further from it. That is just depressing.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited March 2018
    Deleted.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member

Definitely!!
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

Me too. :s:'( Couldn't have been any further from it. That is just depressing.

You are not alone, i thought that too. When they said "no open world" i thought "So, Sims 4 is going to be a kind of sims 2 upgrade ? "Turns out that the answer is no :(
  • CreampuffcatCreampuffcat Posts: 162 Member
    Some people love the Sims 2 so much........

.....I am not one of those people.

Of course, the first thing i did was accidentally make my sim go crazy and then I think she died because I didn’t know how to travel properly. (She got stuck in a toy store.) Is it different with expansion packs?
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Nooo... that's not what I want. I LOVE that TS2 townies don't age and that I can know them all and later generations can marry them in. It's a feature I want enjoy.

I don't mind SP in TS3 because it was there but I never really liked it- an it was broken without mods. :(
    In TS3 I play 1 family, in TS2 I play many. Sometimes not in rotation but jumping around... so no, don't age them for me. :cry:
    @ShySimz wrote: »

Of course, the first thing i did was accidentally make my sim go crazy and then I think she died because I didn’t know how to travel properly. (She got stuck in a toy store.) Is it different with expansion packs?

Are you playing TS2 now? Do you need help to travel- click on the phone booth to go home. Toy store... that isn't until later expansions. Open for Business... :(
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Nooo... that's not what I want. I LOVE that TS2 townies don't age and that I can know them all and later generations can marry them in. It's a feature I want enjoy.

I don't mind SP in TS3 because it was there but I never really liked it- an it was broken without mods. :(
    In TS3 I play 1 family, in TS2 I play many. Sometimes not in rotation but jumping around... so no, don't age them for me. :cry:

Are you playing TS2 now? Do you need help to travel- click on the phone booth to go home. Toy store... that isn't until later expansions. Open for Business... :(

Awesome-mod had TS2 style aging in TS3. You just had to mark your sims as sacred. I was not a fan of story progression. I used many mods to prevent any changes to my played families and to keep random townies from moving in. The only "extras" in my town were service sims.
    Rflong7 wrote: »

:D Your right there should be a option (that actually works) to turn it on or off. That way everyone can play the game the way they want.

@ShySimz Sounds like your sim went into aspiration failure. :D