Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gates wont lock?

Ever since I loaded generations, the gates I've put up around my house (to keep random sims from using my stuff and the smarmy paparazzi from bugging my sims) won't lock. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Or anyone know what to do to fix it?

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited June 2011
    I know someone else had that problem the other day, but then he discovered he'd missed a piece out of the fence so that they weren't all joined up together.

Have you checked for that?
  • Options
    StumbleduckStumbleduck Posts: 751 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Yes, I just did, and everything appears fine. I even deleted it all and rebuilt it. But still the gates wont lock
  • Options
    13crowns13crowns Posts: 40 Member
    edited June 2011
    Hmm are you sure it's not a door that is making it bug?
    I had the same problem but it was the backdoor bugging it up so I had to sell the door. Set the gate options again and put the back door back.
  • Options
    krystinaakrystinaa Posts: 150 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I noticed random gate kinds won`t lock, so I change gate type to one that will
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I'm still having problems with gates not locking. I've tried destroying the fence, and rebuilding it, I've tried every single gate available to me and NONE of them will lock. **** paparazzi like to walk around my property and get in the way of my Sims and then other sims come and use my stuff. Can anyone help me now?
  • Options
    TabithaRavenwoodTabithaRavenwood Posts: 771 Member
    edited September 2011
    I'm still having problems with gates not locking. I've tried destroying the fence, and rebuilding it, I've tried every single gate available to me and NONE of them will lock. **** paparazzi like to walk around my property and get in the way of my Sims and then other sims come and use my stuff. Can anyone help me now?

I am having the same problem as well.
    As far as i have been told, the only gate that can keep people out is that last gate..but its meaningless if your lot wont allow you to place to the gate due to lack of space...
  • Options
    TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited September 2011
    Here's something to try, although it may also not work. Go into Build Mode and completely scrap your entire house, then Undo everything you just did and go back into live mode and try to lock the gate again. All gate types should lock, the Late Night celeb gate simply acts as a "Front Door" to keep sims that much further away from your doorstep.

I can't say what causes the bug but I've also had this problem...I also however uninstalled the Sims 3 and expansions and reinstalled them in order, patching after every new install of the base game and expansions. I'd only do that as the very last resort, though.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited September 2011
    Hello all, I did some testing on fences and gates for you and I have found something interesting. Gates do lock just not in front of your front door! This is so your neighbors and service sims can access your front door. The service sims include maid, butler, repairman, pizza delivery service and Chinese delivery service. It doesn't matter if the fence is half wall or all fence the fence needs to be away from the front door. I tried every single combination of fences walls and gates and they all lock when away from front door of lot. So I sure hope that helps.
    Sid1701d
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Okay, I'll try putting the gate somewhere else, and if that doesnt work, then i'll do what TheGreenLion suggested.

Thank you everyone for your help!

I'll keep you posted
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited September 2011
    sorry I forgot to close my fence in front of my house and it does lock. Please make sure your fence is closed completely. If anything is open the lock option won't be available. The fence can connect to walls.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    HollssHollss Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I had the same problem with my gates not locking, then I discovered my rubbish bin was in the fenced area! I moved it to an accessible area outside of the fences and the gate now locks. You can't lock a gate if something inside is a utility like mailbox, or bin (and maybe a few other items I haven't discovered yet).

Another fenced area had stairs. Although horses can't go up or down them, it's technically a "break" in the fence and the steps are "open". One more thing that matters, is the editting method. on use "create yard" not "create fence" they result in the same look, but one is a yard, the other is simply a fence.

Hope that helps
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    PaulaSchneewindPaulaSchneewind Posts: 5 New Member
    I know I'm late... but I had the same problem. What I did is turn moveobjects on and it let me lock the gate.
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Thank you for the input @PaulaSchneewind :)

However, as this thread is from 2011 I am going to counter this Resurrection with a Close.

Thanks,
    -Mage
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top