Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How To Install Store Items

Comments

• LadybugLeslieLadybugLeslie Posts: 698 Member
    Thank you so much @ZeeGee ! This is exactly what I needed. I am on 1.67 incidentally. Is it worth it to patch up? My game in general has been working great, so not sure if it's worth the risk. Although I've really been wanting to work in CAW, and I think the patch helped with that somehow.

Anyway, one more question. I recently deleted a bunch of saves via the Launcher. So in my Save file there are a bunch of .backup saves that are for saves I had deleted. It's ok to delete those, right? I already deleted all of the .bad saves in the file.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    NO!! Do NOT patch up @LadybugLeslie! That is the biggest headache ever and you want to avoid it. It makes you play on-line and you have to always allow Origin to update. I could be wrong though as I didn't patch up!

If you are playing on-line and trying for badges then those dynamic challenges need to be copied over too.

If you don't want those saves, then delete the .backups too. If you want to try and save those saves, then delete the .backup extension off the end and see if they'll load for you. If not, you can try deleting the .nhd file out and copying in a .nhd file a file with the same neighborhood.
    ciane wrote: »
    NO!! Do NOT patch up @LadybugLeslie! That is the biggest headache ever and you want to avoid it. It makes you play on-line and you have to always allow Origin to update. I could be wrong though as I didn't patch up!

If you are playing on-line and trying for badges then those dynamic challenges need to be copied over too.

If you don't want those saves, then delete the .backups too. If you want to try and save those saves, then delete the .backup extension off the end and see if they'll load for you. If not, you can try deleting the .nhd file out and copying in a .nhd file a file with the same neighborhood.

Ha- when I was reading the patch info it sounded a little off for some reason. Thanks for the warning @ciane ! And I don't want those saves. I just deleted the backups and cleared 10 gigs out of that folder :open_mouth: Is it ok to delete the .backup of the saves I am still using?
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited February 2018
    @LadybugLeslie You're welcome! And another vote with Ciane for NOT updating to 1.69. It may fix a few problems but causes many many more. The content patches that you need to get your store content to work on 1.67 are not available from the store anymore but you should have them in your old folder.

And yes, I only keep the .backup file for my current save. The old ones can go.
    ugh. Well I just did all the things and fired up my game, and I still can't find those items :grimace: Any thoughts? @ciane @ZeeGee
    edited February 2018
    @Ladybug889 What's missing? ETA: And were the missing items there in the past?
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
    Yes they were there. blah. I'm pretty sure I saw my sim using the multi tab just a few days ago. I originally noticed the MultiTab and the prius were missing. I just fired up a new game file with the shop mode enabled and it's showing several things as available for me to purchase as though I don't already own them (chicken coop, wave station, etc). I guess I'll just do a fresh install on everything :scream: I am remembering now that my hubby installed the 70s, 80s, 90s stuff pack for me last weekend... I guess that could have messed with things?
    edited February 2018
    @LadybugLeslie - My suggestion is to again move out your sims 3 folder so a new one is created, then install the items that aren't showing in your game. You can rename that dccache file number to one up from your last one and add it to the sims 3 folder you moved out. Then delete the new sims 3 folder and move the other one back in again. OR... it could be just your ccmerged that is corrupt. You can google nona and ccmerged to find a good copy to replace yours. Here, I did that for you:
    https://nonasims.wordpress.com/tag/ccmerged/

On the backup saves. ALWAYS use "save as" and you won't get backups. Just give your game a new name when you save like SV1, SV2, and SV3. That way you'll have backups without having "backups"

It keeps corruptions from happening so often because you are always creating a "new" save, rather than saving "over" the old one.

I delete all my old saves at the end of a play session so I'm ready for the next.
    edited February 2018
    ciane wrote: »

On the backup saves. ALWAYS use "save as" and you won't get backups. Just give your game a new name when you save like SV1, SV2, and SV3. That way you'll have backups without having "backups"

It keeps corruptions from happening so often because you are always creating a "new" save, rather than saving "over" the old one.

I delete all my old saves at the end of a play session so I'm ready for the next.

That is a really smart way to handle that! Thanks @ciane

I tried swapping the ccmerged file out but that was not a magic fix, sadly. I went into buy mode with shop mode enabled and it is showing 10 different sets as available for me to purchase :neutral: Who knows what I managed to do. Yesterday I had the error 16 where I literally ran out of room on my hard drive to save my game :tired_face: Maybe that did something. I'll just do a clean install one more once. But not tonight :smirk: side note: my Sims and all the EPs and SPs takes up 60 gigs... does that seem normal?!

edited- after everything I've done today, I've trimmed it down to 60 gigs... who knows what was bloating those files up. 10 gigs was saves. Not sure what the rest was.
    @LadybugLeslie That seems excessive to me. My EA folder in program files is 31.3 gigs. I have everything installed but Supernatural. My EA folder in documents is 20.2 gigs - that is with all store content and LOTS of cc.

I would try reinstalling the missing items the way Ciane mentioned and see if those items will stay installed before I went to all the trouble of a complete reinstall. Who knows, maybe it will work!
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    edited March 2018
    I tried multiple times to install Store content with the help of this thread and @ZeeGee video, and now my 2 .ebc files are only 1KB, so I guess that's why a lot of stuff has been uninstalled in my game.

Is it possible perhaps that somebody has some solution to it, instead of reinstalling everything all over again? Or tell me more about the issue?

ETA:
    I realized that I deleted all my saves in the process... :( And I managed to restore the files to an earlier point, but no luck.
    For your .ebc file to be only be 1KB, that would mean that it did NOT install anything. Maybe you don't have the store update. I've read that the store update will no longer install and that you need to copy your old files for that over.

Copy the the ContentPatch folder from the old sims 3 folder to the new one that spawns. It should have a contentpatch file that is 7,976kb in size.

Also, your saves should be in your old sims 3 folder that you renamed or moved before starting the reinstall process.

After installing everything in a the newly spawned sims 3 folder (that has the store update files copied in), then you can copy the newly created dccache folder and pertinent files into a copy of your old sims 3 folder to see how that works OR you can copy over the saves from your old folder to the new one.
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited March 2018
    I know it's been a minute since this thread has been posted on, but I have a quick question. I understand the process of reinstalling the store and I want to get started, even though I don't own everything yet.
    I have 2 hard drives; a 1tb hdd and a 120 gb ssd. The sims "program" files are on the hdd and the "user folder" in on the ssd (I may eventually get a larger ssd). I love the ssd for the speed. :D
    If I start a fresh folder and start installing using the method explained here, is it ok to move just the user folder from my ssd to hdd (just for storage, because of space) and back again? I thought I read somewhere that transferring that folder may lead to reinstalling store items again.
    I don't plan on using the new install method folder until I own everything and get a new ssd. Thank you for any insight. :)

Edit: never mind :D I just watched ZeeGee's third video again and she mentioned saving to her backup drive. That answers my question.
    Post edited by Odonata68 on
    I'm glad you have it figured it. When I got my new system, I put windows and sims onto my SSD. I have back-up on my hard drive.
    @Odonata68 So happy to help! I have mine on my SSD, backed up on my hard drive AND a Seagate drive. :) And yet still I find myself reinstalling yet again due to having a new Steam edition. :lol:
    It is sad that the store content, and saves, are tied to specific versions like that @ZeeGee. When I bought discs to replace download versions, I remember that I couldn't just use all my old files. Copying over my old files didn't work. I had to reinstall. BUT, when I got a new system, I was able to just copy over files. So, the upgrade to Win 10 was painless compared to just replacing some EP/SPs.
    I agree. They should be tied to our account! Learned quickly that my backups wouldn't work with Steam. Also the SimGame select doesn't work on Steam so I have to play with all EPs enabled. :tongue:
    Does your computer play nicely with all? Mine PC handles them all fine. I just turn off weather and let it snow for the holiday.
    The Steam install is on my laptop and I did start getting some lag after a few weeks of game play until I installed some NRaas mods and used register to cut out paparazzi and strays. I just like playing by adding EPs in the order that they came out because I still have SO much to do and explore in this game! The whole darn collection is overwhelming! :smiley:
    It's too bad that any game starter doesn't work for you. I use it to make tailor homes, but rarely play with it otherwise. I only have base game and SPs along with store content on my lap top. The only thing I always find myself missing is the Ambitions EP with it's self-employment, otherwise I happily play the base game "with stuff" experience.
    Was that an autocorrect problem for SimGame select or is there a tool out there I've not heard of?! Hoping...

That's a good idea. The Steam EPs installed themselves after I bought them but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out how to uninstall them.
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @ciane and @ZeeGee Thanks for all of the info. :) I've been trying to decide whether I want to get started on this or if I should wait till I own the store. I've got 2 more worlds to get so I might wait till I have those. It stinks that we don't get ads anymore, I was so close to owning everything! :D
    I don't know if I'd wait @Odonata68. Some people are having problems installing store stuff as well as exchange stuff. If you have the downloaded files, it should be okay to install later. I just prefer to find out earlier, rather than later, if I'll have any problems.

@ZeeGee - I read the any game starter comments at MTS and see that the Steam version was experimental. I have discs, so I was always able to use the program on my old PC. Since I have a new PC, I haven't needed it. My computer can handle all the EPs/SPs, and store content as long as I limit the weather and spawning of all things I can turn off in options.
    edited March 2018
    @ZeeGee - I read the any game starter comments at MTS and see that the Steam version was experimental. I have discs, so I was always able to use the program on my old PC. Since I have a new PC, I haven't needed it. My computer can handle all the EPs/SPs, and store content as long as I limit the weather and spawning of all things I can turn off in options.

Googled! Found it! Got so excited almost stroked out! That sounds so so so perfect. But it didn't work with the current Steam. :weary::scream:
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
    Actually, the one I used was this:
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=499140
    Sim game selector: It doesn't limit cc, just selects which EPs/SPs you want to load.

Comments say that it worked with Steam, but not the latest version. Bolto7 left a note at the end of all the comments saying:
    I like this tool! A little technical explanation would be nice in description too. I figured out myself how it works:

Upon unselection of extension (World Adventures in this case) and pressing save, it moves registry keys:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Sims\The Sims 3 World Adventures
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Sims\The Sims 3 World Adventures

To the backup path at:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Sims.BK\The Sims 3 World Adventures\ergc
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Sims.BK\The Sims 3 World Adventures

Upon restore, it restores selected registry keys if they exist in the backup path.

This tool does work well with standalone Sims 3 installation. For those who have Steam [or] Origin version of the game and tool doesn't work, you could try to search need reg keys for your configuration and do manually the same. I understand it could be too difficult for regular user.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top