Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Screen Tearing

I've posted on here a few months back about screen tearing and FPS capping. The FPS has been capped but I'm still getting screen tearing and was wondering if anyone knew a way to get a handle on this. I love TS3 but I'm afraid my card might eventually burn out. I have an AMD R9 270 card.
1FKDfKj.png

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @ChelleJo help with AMD and fps thanks
  • brntwafflesbrntwaffles Posts: 130 Member
    I have an amd r9 series as well and the only way I can stop screen tearing is launching ts3 with the Radeon Pro app that has forced vysnc and screen capped to 60.

(This took me weeks to figure out. I tried d3d override, I tried even directly altering my graphics card. Nothing worked except Radeon Pro.

(I also couldn't for the life of me get the anti aliasing to work on the sims for some reason so I'm using a sweetFX AA just for that with sims 4 AA turned completely off. Actually seems to have improved performance))

Sims 3 had been a blast to get running again /sarcasm

• ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    AMD fps limiter is not that great. I have an Nvidia now, but this video will guide you thru the process. The only thing I'd suggest different then the video is make sure FPS in limited on both the game tab AND the global tab (sometimes one will work, sometimes the other, and sometimes neither). If you play in windowed mode, you need to find an outside FPS limiter for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_5P_I4A_AQ

I used bandicam when I had AMD. The free version of bandicam has the same fps tab and you just make sure "limit fps" is checked and the "only limit while recording" is unchecked.

I now use a software I got with MSI afterburner called RivaTuner that works amazingly. I can't say how well it works with AMD cause I never tried it. But all the other programs I did try to limit my fps with AMD did not work except Bandicam.

I provided links to both mentioned above.
    p8L4V6v.png
    I personally couldn't get that game tab to do anything for me, but bandicam sounds okay. Is it better than Radeon pro? I'm more inclined to use something thats made by amd for amd.

Here's a link for what I'm using that works http://www.radeonpro.info/download/
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I personally couldn't get that game tab to do anything for me, but bandicam sounds okay. Is it better than Radeon pro? I'm more inclined to use something thats made by amd for amd.

Here's a link for what I'm using that works http://www.radeonpro.info/download/

When I had AMD I tried several but didn't try Radeon Pro. Wish I had heard of that one, I would have loved to try it. I am like you. I prefer things that are GPU matching. But bandicam is a recording software, so it worked but wasn't ideal. Since I make videos anyways, it wasn't a big deal, just a bit annoying to make sure I started bandicam even when I wasn't recording. Also, if you use dual monitors and/or alt+tab or in any way make Sims 3 not the active window, your fps will be free to run wild. I always just started recording and then paused the recording, which forced Sims 3 to remain the active "window" for bandicam while I did whatever else I wanted on my second monitor while sims slept or worked.

It is not ideal and if you have a program that limits fps without all that hoopla... I'd stick with that (and I'd suggest the OP try it before reverting to bandicam. I would use it as a last ditch effort).

p8L4V6v.png
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Well the good news is, Radeon Pro got rid of the screen tearing. Bad news is it causes severe lag.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Maybe @chesterbigbird has some other suggestions.
    edited December 2016
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    Well the good news is, Radeon Pro got rid of the screen tearing. Bad news is it causes severe lag.

How do you have your settings for RP set? I have

Sims 3
    [ForceVysnc=1] [VSyncControl=1][ForceRefreshRate=60][ForceRefresh=1]

All of this is set from the Tweaks Tab and just in the Direct3D Tweaks. So Vsync control is listed at Always On and for Display Refresh Rate I put in 60.

I have no lag, but I also dont play with max lots being seen. I have that down to 1.

You should try that bandicam that was recommend as well and see if it works better for your lag. Also just playing in windowed mode may solve screen tearing...

Edit I'm trying some settings I found here, Ill report back if it seems to be better for my game.

Edit 2: Okay that definitely caused lag, but i'm interested in keeping disabled aero and forced high process, so I'm trying the game with just a double buffer now instead of triple buffering as well. Then i'm going to try just plain old vsync with the forced high process/disabled aero.... brb haha

Edit 3: After some extensive testing I've come to the conclusion that vsync on means some lag no matter what. I managed to minimize screen tearing and maximize performance by capping my framerates at 63 and also at 66. (I have a 60hz moniter)

8de1Ejy.png

If you cannot bear minimal screen tearing than I also had decent performance with this set up.

zta8rJJ.png

I tried dynamic vsync (which is apparently amd's version of adaptive vsync) it gave good performance but I got screen tearing still.)
    Post edited by brntwaffles on
  • andrevivey92andrevivey92 Posts: 30 Member
    My game is also glitching. Go to DreTheSimmer on YouTube for a video showing it. I think it's tearing or something, I need major help
    TNhwLG.jpg

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    My game is also glitching. Go to DreTheSimmer on YouTube for a video showing it. I think it's tearing or something, I need major help
    Since as you commented already the video does not show the problem, perhaps you could describe it? Or provide a screen shot if it show up that way? A screen tear is one or more lines through the viewable portion where things on either side of it appear to become disjointed.

If this is what you have, we need more information. What kind of graphics card do you have and what steps (if any) have you taken to deploy vertical sync or otherwise limit its frame rate? Unlike more modern games, TS3 does not have a built-in fps limiter and the newer, more powerful cards will run wild on it given the chance.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net