Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teenage Sim Won’t Go To School - Sims 2

xhellocoldworldxhellocoldworld Posts: 264 Member
edited March 2018 in The Sims 2
Hi all. Just recently I’ve gotten into Sims 2. I have the Ultimate Collection. And I’ve really been enjoying it, but I’ve ran into a pretty annoying bug. One of the children in my household has aged up into a teenager. The next morning comes around and it’s time for school, and he isn’t going. His younger, still child-age brother went fine. But he would get an interaction to go to school, and it cancels itself. I’ve tried the “walk to school” option numerous times, as well as “drive to school” on the car, and every time, the action cancels itself out. I searched to see if anyone else has had this bug and found a couple forums about it online, but everything that people suggested that ended up working for the person hasn’t worked for me. One said to delete the teen with moveobjects and reload the lot. I did that about three times, and nothing. One said to move the family out and bulldoze the lot. Well, since moving is complicated in this game and I didn’t want to lose my house, I moved them and the house to the Lots bin and then put them back on the land. Still hasn’t done anything. One said to make sure the needs of the teen is up and nothing is in the red, which of course is the first thing I did anyway.

I’m worried that this bug is gonna cause the teen to get in trouble/have his grades go down. One person with this problem said it sort of froze the grades and acted like the teen was still attending school and being a good student. But I’m concerned nonetheless. Any ideas of what to do would be very appreciated. But I’d appreciate anything that doesn’t have to do with resetting the game/messing with the game files... I really don’t trust myself with that, especially considering how this game is very specific with certain things and you can do one thing and bug the game out.

ETA: Oh yeah, I also don’t have any mods. And my teen sim is in private school, not sure if that makes a difference.

ETA2: I found out on a post I made about this same issue on ModTheSims that I actually screwed up my game by moving the house and family to the Lots bin. Sigh. So this issue isn’t the biggest worry anymore, so honestly this post can probably be disregarded.

"The softest echo could be enough for me to make it through."
♥♥♥
sims-traits.jpg
Post edited by xhellocoldworld on

Comments

• mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    How many days has gone by where you can't get him to go to school? If only one, you should be fine and he should end up going the next day. Grades are incredibly easy to get back up in the sims 2.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Well then, you have corrupted two of the neighborhoods. I'll provide a link here (http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption). There you can read what does corrupt and what is the difference between neighborhood corruption and game corruption. You have caused two neighborhood corruptions, so it won't affect other neighborhood and the neighborhoods you create.
    But if you have this problem again, do this:
    1. Enter this cheat:
    moveobjects on

2. Sell your sim.
    3. Save and exit to the neighborhood.
    4. Enter the household again.
    5. Sim should be next to their mailbox.
    Note. Only do this on residental, dorm and apartment lot. If you do that on the owned community lot, don't do it.
    I had same issues: my sim didn't go to work no matter what I do. I did that and it worked.
    Alternatively you can use testingcheats to force error and delete the sim. The sim reappears next to the mailbox. The cheat is different:
    boolprop testingcheatsenabled true

• Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I had your problem once before and it's either that the sim has some data wrong with them (preventing them from completing the "go to school" action) or the portal on your lot is broken. The only way to test it is to physically move the sim out of that lot (never package a lot people are living on,) and see if they can go to school on a new, blank lot.

If they still won't go to school, they have something wrong with their sim data which is preventing them from completing the action. If they will, the lot had broken portals, and should probably be scrapped.

This thread may help you in the future to prevent sims from having bad character data. Lot corruption is usually due to things like installing a lot that has been improperly packaged, or constantly saving while your sim is on the phone or on IM with someone (because the game counts these people as "on the lot" and sometimes if you leave the lot it thinks they're still there,) along with items retaining haunted states or having stuck disease tiles. Most of these can be fixed by moving the family out, which should clear all furniture. (Don't move out without taking the gravestones in a family member's inventory.) Others can be fixed via batbox, but it helps to know what you're doing there.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I had a problem like this years ago when I downloaded tiny vacant lots (loved them!) but sometimes there wasn't room for the bus portal etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited March 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I had a problem like this years ago when I downloaded tiny vacant lots (loved them!) but sometimes there wasn't room for the bus portal etc.

My guess is that lot-adjustered lots occasionally hack off one or more portals when you make them less than 2 neighborhood squares wide. Not much of a problem if it's a community lot, but a residential may run into problems.
    edited March 2018
    Did they ever figure out why this teen won't go to school or if moving out and back in would solve the portal problem? Just another silly question, where is the mailbox and trash can located on this lot? And do you have any custom trash cans and mailboxes installed like the BV versions? which will mess up many things.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

My guess is that lot-adjustered lots occasionally hack off one or more portals when you make them less than 2 neighborhood squares wide. Not much of a problem if it's a community lot, but a residential may run into problems.

I was talking about actual sized lots of 1x1 by MaryLou back in the day which can be used for community and or home lots etc. 1x1, 1x2's etc.

I was talking about actual sized lots of 1x1 by MaryLou back in the day which can be used for community and or home lots etc. 1x1, 1x2's etc.

I'm like, 90% certain that she needed to use the lot adjuster (or a previous version of a similar program) to make them. Hence, the accidental portal hacking-off: IIRC, each "portal" for a different automatic arriving vehicle is spaced so there are a specific number of squares between the vehicle and the next one. The School Bus, being the longest vehicle that arrives on the lot side (delivery vans, services, etc. arrive on the far side) is the most likely to not have any arrival room in a lot where there is only one neighborhood square of street, if that makes sense. A business lot won't ever generate a bus or carpool portal (unlike a taxi portal) because it won't ever be needed.

Some modders have been able to replicate specific portals or move them around.