Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This forum needs a thaw

I'm curious as to why this forum has rules that make it "clean" enough for very young children despite the game itself being rated Teen?

It's like you can't talk about anything on here.

Comments

• ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    what would you want to talk about then? I can see lots of people already talking about things on the forum here so is there something specific you wanted to talk about?
    I'm not being rude just curious :)
  • sillafoxsillafox Posts: 63 Member
    Yeah, that is kind of strange....
    sW8E5XUIFFv4lyszgJwTWI5jpMGzpGIKfPLmtfVtGYM?preserve_transparency=1&size=1280x960&size_mode=3
  • ParkPark Posts: 625 Member
    I understand what you mean. Personally I find the site's automated censor a spot too sensitive, and ought not be used in "personal messages" but it does.

Also, some of it could be that pre-teens are certainly capable of opening an account in here. There is no age verification process and in fact one need not even own a copy of the game to participate. Or it could be that they want to be proactive in keeping this site from becoming a verbal free-for-all like Facebook, et al. Also one may not divulge one's age, use any real photos of themselves or divulge personal information on the public boards.

Just my thoughts. I imagine an administrator or moderator might chip in with a better, "official" answer.
  • PlayPlay Posts: 704 Member
    edited March 2018
    Depends on what rules you are discussing.

Some people can be offended by certain topics or phrases no matter what age they are.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I can't imagine what it is that's off-limits for talking about that would be worth talking about when it comes to the Sims, but maybe that's just me. I get that the censor itself is kinda goofy sometimes (it used to be way, way worse, lol) but I have a feeling you wanna go beyond the occassional 'plum' popping up now and then.

The usual rule breaking and moderation I see happening (at least in the Sims 4 areas) involves either insulting other Simmers, or nercro posting in old threads. Not sure what the big issue is in either case.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    I can't imagine what it is that's off-limits for talking about that would be worth talking about when it comes to the Sims, but maybe that's just me. I get that the censor itself is kinda goofy sometimes (it used to be way, way worse, lol) but I have a feeling you wanna go beyond the occassional 'plum' popping up now and then.

The usual rule breaking and moderation I see happening (at least in the Sims 4 areas) involves either insulting other Simmers, or nercro posting in old threads. Not sure what the big issue is in either case.

I mostly agree and I actually like how curse words are censored to "plum," it's cute. I write "plum" automatically when I'm here. Literally the only thing I can imagine discussing that's taboo would be NSFW mods. I never use mods so I've never looked for anyone discussing them here, but I've watched a few videos and they're plumming funny. I assume a fair minority of players like them. It'd be super difficult to discuss them here though. Can I even post the phrases "prostitution mod" or "drug dealer mod" or "🐸🐸🐸🐸"? My apologies if I'm being inappropriate; just curious.
  • CarolinaCanCarolinaCan Posts: 116 Member
    ManakoHime wrote: »
    what would you want to talk about then? I can see lots of people already talking about things on the forum here so is there something specific you wanted to talk about?
    I'm not being rude just curious :)

ehhh, mostly what I'm referring to is that the off topic board is like 90% games. No real discussions and I've been afraid to start any because the rules on here are pretty tight and I get the feeling I'd break a rule with any discussion that would lead to any good conversation, since almost anything that has any substance could be considered "controversial"
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Don't forget that this forum is public but read-only to anyone who finds their way to the Sims Forum but has no account, so anyone who has an internet connection can basically read mostly anything that we type, including here.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Park wrote: »
    I understand what you mean. Personally I find the site's automated censor a spot too sensitive, and ought not be used in "personal messages" but it does.

Also, some of it could be that pre-teens are certainly capable of opening an account in here. There is no age verification process and in fact one need not even own a copy of the game to participate. Or it could be that they want to be proactive in keeping this site from becoming a verbal free-for-all like Facebook, et al. Also one may not divulge one's age, use any real photos of themselves or divulge personal information on the public boards.

Just my thoughts. I imagine an administrator or moderator might chip in with a better, "official" answer.

Exactly. And it for safety of all people. But I believe that some people that are under 12 have their parents sign a forum. It was that way on Vbulletin when I used to do moderation on a forum. But don't know if that applies to this forum or not.
  • ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    Aren't there, like, a million other places on the internet that you can go for more contentious discussions? Count me as another person who would be fine if the plum censor was just a tich less sensitive, but I really don't want political squabbling in my escapist fantasy game.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    To understand the forums is to understand it's history and if you go back to the summer of 2014 it was not a pretty place back then so the rules had to be increased to make it as safe as possible. Things are a lot better now that they where but old habits die hard and sometimes it is just best to leave certain rules in place
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    ^ Pretty much.

The site traffic was very high, I used to get 1000 notifications per week. It literally took me a day to become a member. There was a lot of nsfw stuff being posted by trolls at the time plus bot attacks now & then. It was sorta a toxic environment at the time but the energy was sorta amazing. I miss a lot of the members that have moved on since.

The forum now is just a jaded shell.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
    On the other hand I sorta feel like loosening some of the rules is ok since it's been a very long time that the site has been attacked or trolled. Recent arguments have been very minor also.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    On the other hand I sorta feel like loosening some of the rules is ok since it's been a very long time that the site has been attacked or trolled. Recent arguments have been very minor also.

Which ones though?
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
    edited March 2018
    I'm unsure. It's hard for newbies to become members but I don't know any way around it that all parties can agree on.

On the topic of discussions itself I feel it's fair ground as it stands.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Savage_Patch_Kidd There are a lot of players who I miss. Some went as early as 2014 after TS4's launch while others just dropped off slowly since. Many became just lurkers or posting on a now and then basis.

It would be nice to see some rules being relaxed but the minute things get too soft then trolls will come back with force and we would end up with even more rules than before :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello all,

I have closed this thread as I feel this will end up going in circles. But I did want to address a few points:
    • Rules - everything has rules and in public space they are very much needed. If you feel that some rules are too strict, please put forward your argument against that rule in a constructive private message to myself or any of the moderation team. We are open to feedback and reviewing things, but public discussions on rules tend to go sideways fast, so let's keep it to PM's :)
    • The smut filter (the plum filter) - as I have said before, we are open to reviewing entries in the filter. Send me PM if you feel a word that is getting filtered shouldn't be. Please do keep in mind that we have to take into consideration that some words have different meanings in different cultures and therefor need to stay in the filter.
    • New users - we recently relaxed the requirements for new members becoming full members significantly. We are keeping an eye on the situation and if needed we can review this again at a later date.
    Thank you all,
    -Mage
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top