Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing the Sims 2 on Windows 10?

BeaEllaBeaElla Posts: 366 Member
Hey guys,

I've been lurking down here and feeling nostalgic and FINALLY I decided to re-install all my games.
I should mention that I installed with my old discs. I missed the origin offer back in 2014 and I'm not sure I can get the UC through customer service because I'm European.

Anyway, ran into some issues.
The basegame installed fine and I ended up playing for 3 hours straight :smile: , but I can't seem to install the expansion packs. Whenever I get to the point where I have to insert disc 4 of the sims 2, it says that it cannot update and then terminates the installation.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? Any help will be greatly appreciated :smile:
My chaotic simblr

Comments

• Summerbear5Summerbear5 Posts: 643 Member
    edited March 2016
    There is a tutorial on YouTube for getting it to install on Windows 8. I've done this same process and it works on Windows 10.

Original Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n3v1CXSgXI

Remakes starting with part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO5-PQlu-Sk
    angrycat.gif
  • BeaEllaBeaElla Posts: 366 Member
    Thanks so much @Summerbear5 I'll definitely give it a go :smile:

Does your game run well?
    My chaotic simblr
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Those are the videos I watched for Windows 10 as well. My game works better than it ever has.
  • Summerbear5Summerbear5 Posts: 643 Member
    BeaElla wrote: »
    Thanks so much @Summerbear5 I'll definitely give it a go :smile:

Does your game run well?

I did this for my sister in laws computer and it runs great.
    Myself I have the UC on origin which I had to take some other additional steps to get it running good on Windows 10 and now it works great.
    angrycat.gif
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Hi :)

If I were you I'd contact EA's Cutomer Support and ask them for help. They might/should give you the Ultimate Collection. They keep offering it to me when I have problems with other games.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I was wondering about this - would you have to run it in compatibility mode? and does W10 even have compatibility mode?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited April 2016
    Lately I've decided Sims 2 is the Best Ever! I must play it!

BUT months ago I downloaded the new Windows 10. Previously I had played Sims 2 Disc version with ALL EP's and mega tons of CC on Windows 7 , no problem (except for "haygrass" because of my intel integrated graphics).

Also I then uninstalled all the discs and installed "Ultimate" from Origin (and again added ALL my cc).

But Then came Windows 10. Sims 2 Ultimate would crash when entering a household and also entering CAS.

Then I found THIS solution

http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6886

It was the only thing that worked. I don't remember this sites policy for posting links, nor do I care frankly, though I don't think there's anything bad to worry about at the link posted.

Let's just say I wanted to play Sims 2 very, very, badly! Otherwise I may have not spent countless hours and days messing with the silly, annoying "origin games" folder and files under "my computer". It's a graphics fix. It's a known problem with sims 2 and windows 10.

Good luck! The most difficult part was actually making sure the fix files were Unzipped into the folder , making sure I delete the 3 caches before every playing, RE-Unzipping the graphics fixes with any origin / sims 2 update and or Windows 10 update.

It's playing great now and as a bonus my "haygrass" is fixed. Until the next update.........

I haven't watched the youtube vid but guess I should.

P.S. If you search around the linked site's forums under "graphic cards" or something like that you will find a thread with a fix for every graphic card, plus directions on how to find and analyze your game log to see if you have enough graphics memory etc. and how to fix it if you don't.

At least in my case "compatibility mode" had nothing to do with it regarding Windows 10. Also I never messed with , or rewrote the .sgr files like had been previously recommended. I simply downloaded and installed the files in the thread.
    Post edited by zorba2357 on
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    @zorba2357

OMG! I LOVE your profile pic! Is that a pittie? They're AWESOME!!! I have two mixes and I love them to death! Sorry, I just saw your profile pic and went gaga over it, lol.
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    @SataiDelennn

Thanks! I think you're the first person who has ever said anything about it. She's a little sims 2 dog I created for my favorite sim. I'm not sure what kind-of dog she is but I think I was trying for a bulldog. IRL I have a "Chug" a Chihuahua / pug. He's super cute!
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    @zorba2357

Well, she's uber-cute! A Chihuahua/pug mix? Now that sounds interesting!

I love my two pitties. They're so much fun. My boy's not always so bright (sweet, but not real bright sometimes), while my girl's brain is ALWAYS going! I have to watch her all the time to make sure she doesn't get into something, or escape from the house.

If you are familiar with the old-school RCA poster advertisements with the little brown and white dog looking into the gramophone thing, she looks EXACTLY like it except that she's black with a white chest (so, what I mean by her looking like that dog, is when she sits down and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 her head to one side, she could pass for the RCA dog's twin in build/body). My boy looks like Petey from the Little Rascals (original), but if you've seen the movie, "UP," he has the same "brains" of the dog in that movie, lol. I love them both, so much, though!
  • AbbyC3AbbyC3 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello! What if I installed the game correctly but then I can't rune the game? I double clicked and it shows the 'The sims 2' square, but then it crashes. It blocks everything. :(
  • eemmajceemmajc Posts: 1 New Member
    How do I install the sims 2 pets for example? And other packs like that? :)
  • DatRandomSimmerDatRandomSimmer Posts: 59 Member
    well If it Can Work on Windows 10 i think im gonna get it again cause that was stoping me from getting it again
  • porsh_8porsh_8 Posts: 1 New Member
    hi, i dont mean to sound really awkward, but i really enjoy playing the sims 2 and for some reason it doesnt seem to work past the update screen in comes to, anywaysss, i dont want to have to download the unzipper and what not because last time i done that it made my laptop basically die, well it did. can someone please help me coz its annoying me now and there doesnt seem to be a solution without having to download something!! ea sucks sometimeesssss.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    porsh_8 wrote: »
    hi, i dont mean to sound really awkward, but i really enjoy playing the sims 2 and for some reason it doesnt seem to work past the update screen in comes to, anywaysss, i dont want to have to download the unzipper and what not because last time i done that it made my laptop basically die, well it did. can someone please help me coz its annoying me now and there doesnt seem to be a solution without having to download something!! ea plum sometimeesssss.

I am not sure what you mean by update screen. Are you using disks to download the game? No matter how you install it you have to download something .
  • Sharpie50Sharpie50 Posts: 2 New Member
    www.simsnetwork.com graphics-rules-maker
    this site takes care of everything!! So Simple!!!
  • Sharpie50Sharpie50 Posts: 2 New Member
    sorry they wouldn't let me post the whole link but that will get you to the site and page
  • TeenStyleGirlTeenStyleGirl Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello. I have the exact same issue as @ZORBA2357, but I'm not able to open the link he provided. It says that it's not reachable. Any chance of someone helping me out?

So, the problem is: I installed The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Windows 10 and everytime I try to load a household it crashes. I've tried running it in every compatibility mode and that apparently isn't the problem. Any ideas? Thanks!
    edited December 2017
    Hello. I have the exact same issue as ZORBA2357, but I'm not able to open the link he provided. It says that it's not reachable. Any chance of someone helping me out?

So, the problem is: I installed The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Windows 10 and everytime I try to load a household it crashes. I've tried running it in every compatibility mode and that apparently isn't the problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

This . . .
    https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with-modern-systems
  • TeenStyleGirlTeenStyleGirl Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you Rflong7! It works like a charm! ^_^
  • EmilytheSimmer18EmilytheSimmer18 Posts: 8 New Member
    Actually, the link for this: plum mybb is broken!
  • EmilytheSimmer18EmilytheSimmer18 Posts: 8 New Member
    Can somebody help me with the link?

What link? To leefish fix for Sims 2? Google can find it... no one can link leefish here. Don't know why. :(
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

What link? To leefish fix for Sims 2? Google can find it... no one can link leefish here. Don't know why. :(

We can't link it because it involves modifying game files, which we technically aren't supposed to be doing according to EA...
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    I was able to get the sims 2 free ultimate collection through the ea customer service chat. I had to switch my country to New Zealand before I found an agent willing to help. I had to send a pic of a sims 2 disc with a note with the current date on it. They will download it to your origin account. This was in 2017.