Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 My First Pet Stuff - A Stuff Pack filled with Fur

Comments

• TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Does anyone else find it weird that they separated all four cages in build/buy mode? You have to buy a specific enclosure for each critter. Why not just have one, click on it, and have the option of choosing from the four? It's not like they have different animations or anything.

If nothing else, they have different text to them, the voidcritter especially. I'd like to think their secret lives may be different too, but I don't know about that for sure. Also, their cages have multiple swatches, so it's easier for that alone.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • PeanutButterSims2002PeanutButterSims2002 Posts: 104 Member
    @ebuchala Well it's okay you don.t have to waste your time finding it. Thank by the way :)<3
  • PrincessSimcessPrincessSimcess Posts: 917 Member
    Does anyone else find it weird that they separated all four cages in build/buy mode? You have to buy a specific enclosure for each critter. Why not just have one, click on it, and have the option of choosing from the four? It's not like they have different animations or anything.

If nothing else, they have different text to them, the voidcritter especially. I'd like to think their secret lives may be different too, but I don't know about that for sure. Also, their cages have multiple swatches, so it's easier for that alone.

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but it's not like we've got fifty dog beds for fifty different breeds just because most have a different texture for fur/build. They all interact with the bed in the same way.
    Also, they all have the same colour swatches, no? (I've been watching a few streams, but I don't always catch everything!)
    As for the secret lives, I hope you're right that they're different. That would be fun :)
    Lift up your head, princess. If not, the crown falls.
    35532344976_d8721ca725_z_d.jpg

• PrincessSimcessPrincessSimcess Posts: 917 Member
    edited March 2018
    Edit: double post.
    Post edited by PrincessSimcess on
    Lift up your head, princess. If not, the crown falls.
    35532344976_d8721ca725_z_d.jpg

They probalby do have the same swatches, but imagine how complicated that would be to have them all under one 'swatch menu' thing. You'd basically have it four times as big, with no indication on the menu itself which is for which pet, lol.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

Nope. They have a real knack for padding the catalog. One object would have worked just fine, with the choice of hamster color being presented when you stock the cage. This is nothing more than them really trying to sell these pets as different things even though they are all basically the same.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Oddzball wrote: »
    Xoxk9 wrote: »
    These recolors are definitely patch worthy :D:'( Some of the CAS stuff is just recolors of old meshes. I'm sad. Should have just been patched in

Someone (A Maxis employee) still put in time and effort to make those textures and designs. So should he not get paid for it? Im sure he did it on the clock, and billed the hours.

I'm sure that person still gets paid. The sales revenue does not go directly to creators and developers.

Regardless of where the money goes, the charge for the work still goes towards the product budget, which is limited. Though, as small as this pack is, it seems like the gameplay item would have to have a lot of attention to it to make up for the low number of items we seem to be getting in this pack.

Well if the ep is so lacking - there's the sp taking up the slack.... is all I can say.

Next time maybe they won't come in and take up the slack then we'll just be lacking stuff. Wouldn't blame the sp team at all after this is they steered totally away from the other packs.

This isn't really a blame game for me. I don't mind C&D, in general, I just find it kind of meh. Like a lot of other people who have posted, I think the GPs and most of the SPs have been on point and the majority of the EPs have just been ok. But, that doesn't negate the fact that this particular SP seems a bit skimpy. I'm not saying it to throw blame, just saying what it looks like. I'll be interested to see what kinds of animations and interactions we have with the small pets because that's the only thing I can think of that would have taken up so much of the budget to leave us with so few objects included.

I agree with you too. Game Packs made the game amazing but Expansion packs for me are kind of a "meh" They are not the same as big of an expansion pack before. (and up until now I am still Enraged that we can't use cash register from GTW like what is the purpose of the cash register if we can't use it. We just need an option on the game. ) :)

My biggest gripe with GTW was that we didn't get mixed lots so we couldn't combine businesses or have a residential/business lot. But they did explain why in one of the tech threads and I've figured out ways around it.

Really? can you post the link of the explanation please. <3

Do a search on Ask a Guru... and maybe you will find it. Since they made it a rule we can't link or post to old posts from the forum on new threads - you are better off just searching for it yourself - that way no one gets in trouble with the moderators.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    bluzkat65 wrote: »
    I do hope those putting up a fit over the small pets pack were none of the people wanting small pets and complaining about not getting them.

We all knew from day one - the devs made it clear - that Sims 4 would not be Sims 1,2, or 3 - so even though they never once said anything differently people still keep comparing to Sims 1, 2, and 3. It is simply people refuse to listen at what the Maxis people tell you - so when things are very different in how they make the packs - there is always an uproar of voices shouting money grab or Sims 1 - or 2 - or 3 wasn't like this.

I say - well the devs told you in September of 2014 Sims 4 would not be like those games - they were going back to the roots and basically redoing the game - we could at most think of Sims 4 as a parallel universe but not part of the Sims 1, 2, and 3 trilogy directions.

They cannot help it that after almost 4 years people still choose to compare or get upset when the game again follows a new direction. No matter how much any of us liked the old direction - they made it clear - remember all that talk about "Their Vision and the new direction they visualized for the sims. How they wanted the game so the players had more options by giving them more packs choices.

I see them still following their vision - and they are giving player choices - so yes I can fully see them separating the animals in packs just like they are separating supernaturals. It's their vision and all the fussing in the world is not going to change that.

If you want small pets - well you have the option to have them - other wise you don't get small pets.

I just think people in general don not like or accept change - regardless of how many times the devs tell us "THINGS Change" or bring up their vision.

I don't know - I still love the Sims so yeah - I also like different pets to for some families. Like real life dogs and cats are not allowable every where humans live - so I carry that in my game. Pets for apt dwellers is a good choice and for heaven sakes it's only 10 dollars....

It doesn't matter that its only 10 dollars. Its the principle. Also not a good thing to say to a community where the target fan base is teenagers.

Forget about sims 1-3 for a second. Lets pretend they don't exist.

Now lets go back to the scenario we are in now with content that could easily have made it into the cat and dog expansion didn't. Instead the cries of "can we have small pets please?" before release are ignored. (Also happened)

Now you discover that small pets are happening, but you find out its not a lot of small pets its one rodent re skinned, furniture very similar to the expansion, clothes for pets (many which are already in the game but just made for pets) and the company want an extra 10 bucks off you.
    I remember you saying a few months ago (as did I) that you suspected small pets would be added later. Is this the form in which you had in mind? Stuff pack per creature type, four months after the event? Because I'll be honest while the bar is low with EA, I think they have dug a trench this time.
    I would have accepted small pets (not just rodents!) in a game pack. I don't accept hamsters and re used cruel pet costumes. That is a cash grab. But they know their audience and they expect to get away with it.

I love the Sims that doesn't mean I cheer wildly every time they do something and I just accept it. Loving the game doesn't mean opening my wallet blindly. Loving the game means wanting the best for it and for it to be given the love and support it deserves, not turned into a cash cow.

Before toddlers came out and you didn't like the game that much, would you have applauded this move? I'm genuinely curious.

I would not have noticed seeing I stopped buying and went back to Sims 3. When I got a notice about toddlers - I came back and true to my word I bought up ALL the packs I had not gotten that very day we got the toddlers. I was also happy when packs came out for the toddlers. In fact I would love to have more toddler packs - clothes, hairs, furniture. So yes -since I did get toddlers which was my happy place - I appreciate more packs - especially when they are just 10 dollars.

I also know each kind of pack has an animation budget the devs cannot exceed - and they could not have added any more animation to the EP even had they wanted to. Like they said - they had a choice of more pets or the Vet Career. Well people have been begging for a having a vet and being a vet since Sims 2 so they chose the Vet Career. More pets were not possible - period once that was decided.

A vet career could not be in a stuff pack - as Graham has said he could not even have a pet shop or a laundromat or anything like those in a stuff pack but he could provide these few pets, so he did. I am glad he made the choice.

But to get to your point - I would not have had any opinion on pets at all had they not delivered toddlers as I was technically done, so I probably wouldn't have known period. I am a family player and that is just the way it is. My sims kids need a Hedgehog and Gerbil.

Thank you! You hit it right out of the ball park for me. Love your posts!

Thank you.

I agree with you as well
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Moon_WillowMoon_Willow Posts: 732 Member
    ZakkiyahZ wrote: »
    I saw Vixella make a video about it, it doesn't have a lot of content in it items wise but the clothes and hairs it comes with are super cute. I also like the fact that there is an exotic animal you can get, but I don't see the point of releasing the animal unless you just want it for the moodlet you get. You can't get the animal back and all it does is release it to the wild, so I don't see the point of that. It seems like a kid game pack tbh, with all the kid like stuff you get with the pack

Sims 3 started that with releasing the small pets -

In the Sims 3 you could catch small animals and keep them in them in enclosures of some description. All of the small pets I had in the Sims 3 were found in the wild. I have no problems with an animal that was caught in the wild being released back into the wild but what I do have problems with tame pets that have been bought in pet store being released. In real life they would either die or become an invasive species because a lot of them aren't native.

I live in a country that has no native terrestial mammals (we have bats and marine mammals and that all) and we have a lot of problems with introduced mammals that have being released into the wild. Major Problems. It would be considered the height of irresponsibility to release a rodent bought in a pet store out into the wild.

Speaking of responsibility has anybody else noticed the lack of a tie in between Parenthood's Character Trait system and this pack. They made a big deal in the Laundry pack that doing laundry would increase a teen or child's responsibility but no mention in the livestream about whether a child caring for their First Pet increases their responsibility. So do they?

In my view any child or teen who releases a pet should get a substantial hit to their responsibility as well as getting a negative moodlet. Young Adults and older who have the responsible trait should have that negative moodlet doubled.
    tsNVdyA.png
    Gallery ID: Truet318, check out my latest builds on the gallery.

The Road goes ever on and on And I must follow, if I can,
    Until it joins some larger way,
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    I saw Vixella make a video about it, it doesn't have a lot of content in it items wise but the clothes and hairs it comes with are super cute. I also like the fact that there is an exotic animal you can get, but I don't see the point of releasing the animal unless you just want it for the moodlet you get. You can't get the animal back and all it does is release it to the wild, so I don't see the point of that. It seems like a kid game pack tbh, with all the kid like stuff you get with the pack

In the Sims 3 you could catch small animals and keep them in them in enclosures of some description. All of the small pets I had in the Sims 3 were found in the wild. I have no problems with an animal that was caught in the wild being released back into the wild but what I do have problems with tame pets that have been bought in pet store being released. In real life they would either die or become an invasive species because a lot of them aren't native.

I live in a country that has no native terrestial mammals (we have bats and marine mammals and that all) and we have a lot of problems with introduced mammals that have being released into the wild. Major Problems. It would be considered the height of irresponsibility to release a rodent bought in a pet store out into the wild.

Speaking of responsibility has anybody else noticed the lack of a tie in between Parenthood's Character Trait system and this pack. They made a big deal in the Laundry pack that doing laundry would increase a teen or child's responsibility but no mention in the livestream about whether a child caring for their First Pet increases their responsibility. So do they?

In my view any child or teen who releases a pet should get a substantial hit to their responsibility as well as getting a negative moodlet. Young Adults and older who have the responsible trait should have that negative moodlet doubled.

it does increase responsibility

It's their way of padding out a very thin pack.
    tsNVdyA.png

Does it? I saw one child in a review increase her responsibility but that was because she finished her homework because she was studying the rodent. I can't see any evidence that actually caring for the creature itself increases responsibility if you have proof otherwise please post it.

And I stand by my comment that release the animal should decrease responsibility.
    tsNVdyA.png

Does it? I saw one child in a review increase her responsibility but that was because she finished her homework because she was studying the rodent. I can't see any evidence that actually caring for the creature itself increases responsibility if you have proof otherwise please post it.

And I stand by my comment that release the animal should decrease responsibility.

the sims guru says it does

Where?
    tsNVdyA.png

SimGuruGraham said it on his twitter
    edited March 2018

Where?

Lots more info collected here:

forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/936340/my-first-pet-stuff-simguru-maxis-sourced-info/p1

Where?

thank you @TheGoodOldGamer
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    It's a bummer that the cages can't be set for sale. That would have been really cool in pet store builds.
    It's a bummer that the cages can't be set for sale. That would have been really cool in pet store builds.

I agree

Where?

forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/936340/my-first-pet-stuff-simguru-maxis-sourced-info/p1

Thank you for that correction. I'm glad Graham was able to clarify that because he made no mention of that in the livestream.

The main point of my post still stands, that sims should receive some negative consequences (either in the form of a negative moodlet or a hit to their responsibility or both) if they release a rodent to the wild
    tsNVdyA.png

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Because the different rodents are tied to the different cages. It works like the bassinet/baby. It’s not an empty item, the baby/pet is tied to it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Where?

Thank you for that correction. I'm glad Graham was able to clarify that because he made no mention of that in the livestream.

The main point of my post still stands, that sims should receive some negative consequences (either in the form of a negative moodlet or a hit to their responsibility or both) if they release a rodent to the wild

I agree. But If sims don’t get sad or have any reaction their rodent has passed away then I would be surprised at them getting sad at setting it free.