Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 My First Pet Stuff - A Stuff Pack filled with Fur

Comments

• sundaysimmersundaysimmer Posts: 201 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Edited since the other comment had been addressed and I was just too slow, as usual. :)
    Oh, I didn't mean to downplay the work at all. I'm merely criticizing somebody else's (somebody who is much higher up) decision that this is what that person should work on as part of a separate SP. I'm not demanding anything for free but I feel like I already paid for this SP by purchasing Cats & Dogs full price.

And in terms of recolors - they do take less work so why should customers be charged the same price for them?

(I hope we still have our nice moment of agreement going! :) )

I don't actually think we do pay the same, in a manner of speaking. As I recall, they can divvy items, animations and gameplay up however they like as long as they don't go over budget. So, they might be able to give us 10 recolored items for every 2 new objects or 1 gameplay item (just pulling numbers out of by backside). Not sure how things got divvied up in this pack, though, to end up with so few items.

True. Taking into account the recolors and the lack of items at the same time, this just appears to be a much smaller pack. Now, I don't know how animation-heavy it was but I can't imagine that it was more demanding than Laundry Day which also added lots and lots of gorgeous new items.
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    Seems like to me, no matter how much we complain, riot, dislike...they aren't gonna to respond or do a darn thing...I honestly think they could care less if you dislike it, because they are gonna get your money...I hate being rude, but it honestly feels like it. And if you don't praise and compliment it they could care less..

I think it will be a hard sell. In this case, money talks. Although, I would never ever tell someone not to buy if that was their desire. It is none of my business.
  • OddzballOddzball Posts: 141 Member
    Edited since the other comment had been addressed and I was just too slow, as usual. :)
    Oh, I didn't mean to downplay the work at all. I'm merely criticizing somebody else's (somebody who is much higher up) decision that this is what that person should work on as part of a separate SP. I'm not demanding anything for free but I feel like I already paid for this SP by purchasing Cats & Dogs full price.

And in terms of recolors - they do take less work so why should customers be charged the same price for them?

I don't actually think we do pay the same, in a manner of speaking. As I recall, they can divvy items, animations and gameplay up however they like as long as they don't go over budget. So, they might be able to give us 10 recolored items for every 2 new objects or 1 gameplay item (just pulling numbers out of by backside). Not sure how things got divvied up in this pack, though, to end up with so few items.

True. Taking into account the recolors and the lack of items at the same time, this just appears to be a much smaller pack. Now, I don't know how animation-heavy it was but I can't imagine that it was more demanding than Laundry Day which also added lots and lots of gorgeous new items.

I dont think so. Laundry day didnt have a ton going on animation wise. The SP has tons of new animation stuff with the little critters. Laundry day actually reuses animations from other things.
    Oddzball wrote: »
    Xoxk9 wrote: »
    These recolors are definitely patch worthy :D:'( Some of the CAS stuff is just recolors of old meshes. I'm sad. Should have just been patched in

Someone (A Maxis employee) still put in time and effort to make those textures and designs. So should he not get paid for it? Im sure he did it on the clock, and billed the hours.

I'm sure that person still gets paid. The sales revenue does not go directly to creators and developers.

Regardless of where the money goes, the charge for the work still goes towards the product budget, which is limited. Though, as small as this pack is, it seems like the gameplay item would have to have a lot of attention to it to make up for the low number of items we seem to be getting in this pack.

I doubt that the entire sales revenue goes to the production budget. That way, EA wouldn't make any profit at all.

I don't know how big their margins are but I'm going to assume they're big enough to keep investors happy.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that--the employee who tallies how much time they spent on the recolor is going to post that cost to the pack being made. In other words, the charge for that work is still being calculated as part of the product budget which means it still counts toward the max budget for the product. I wasn't referring to how much we pay or how much they make on the pack, which is going to be considerably more, in total, than the labor cost that goes into producing it.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, that's true. And I certainly think the creator should be paid for their work. My criticism is mainly targeted at the decision to focus on recolors/add-ons/etc. We know they can do better than this.
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    bluzkat65 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I do hope those putting up a fit over the small pets pack were none of the people wanting small pets and complaining about not getting them.

We all knew from day one - the devs made it clear - that Sims 4 would not be Sims 1,2, or 3 - so even though they never once said anything differently people still keep comparing to Sims 1, 2, and 3. It is simply people refuse to listen at what the Maxis people tell you - so when things are very different in how they make the packs - there is always an uproar of voices shouting money grab or Sims 1 - or 2 - or 3 wasn't like this.

I say - well the devs told you in September of 2014 Sims 4 would not be like those games - they were going back to the roots and basically redoing the game - we could at most think of Sims 4 as a parallel universe but not part of the Sims 1, 2, and 3 trilogy directions.

They cannot help it that after almost 4 years people still choose to compare or get upset when the game again follows a new direction. No matter how much any of us liked the old direction - they made it clear - remember all that talk about "Their Vision and the new direction they visualized for the sims. How they wanted the game so the players had more options by giving them more packs choices.

I see them still following their vision - and they are giving player choices - so yes I can fully see them separating the animals in packs just like they are separating supernaturals. It's their vision and all the fussing in the world is not going to change that.

If you want small pets - well you have the option to have them - other wise you don't get small pets.

I just think people in general don not like or accept change - regardless of how many times the devs tell us "THINGS Change" or bring up their vision.

I don't know - I still love the Sims so yeah - I also like different pets to for some families. Like real life dogs and cats are not allowable every where humans live - so I carry that in my game. Pets for apt dwellers is a good choice and for heaven sakes it's only 10 dollars....

It doesn't matter that its only 10 dollars. Its the principle. Also not a good thing to say to a community where the target fan base is teenagers.

Forget about sims 1-3 for a second. Lets pretend they don't exist.

Now lets go back to the scenario we are in now with content that could easily have made it into the cat and dog expansion didn't. Instead the cries of "can we have small pets please?" before release are ignored. (Also happened)

Now you discover that small pets are happening, but you find out its not a lot of small pets its one rodent re skinned, furniture very similar to the expansion, clothes for pets (many which are already in the game but just made for pets) and the company want an extra 10 bucks off you.
    I remember you saying a few months ago (as did I) that you suspected small pets would be added later. Is this the form in which you had in mind? Stuff pack per creature type, four months after the event? Because I'll be honest while the bar is low with EA, I think they have dug a trench this time.
    I would have accepted small pets (not just rodents!) in a game pack. I don't accept hamsters and re used cruel pet costumes. That is a cash grab. But they know their audience and they expect to get away with it.

I love the Sims that doesn't mean I cheer wildly every time they do something and I just accept it. Loving the game doesn't mean opening my wallet blindly. Loving the game means wanting the best for it and for it to be given the love and support it deserves, not turned into a cash cow.

Before toddlers came out and you didn't like the game that much, would you have applauded this move? I'm genuinely curious.

I would not have noticed seeing I stopped buying and went back to Sims 3. When I got a notice about toddlers - I came back and true to my word I bought up ALL the packs I had not gotten that very day we got the toddlers. I was also happy when packs came out for the toddlers. In fact I would love to have more toddler packs - clothes, hairs, furniture. So yes -since I did get toddlers which was my happy place - I appreciate more packs - especially when they are just 10 dollars.

I also know each kind of pack has an animation budget the devs cannot exceed - and they could not have added any more animation to the EP even had they wanted to. Like they said - they had a choice of more pets or the Vet Career. Well people have been begging for a having a vet and being a vet since Sims 2 so they chose the Vet Career. More pets were not possible - period once that was decided.

A vet career could not be in a stuff pack - as Graham has said he could not even have a pet shop or a laundromat or anything like those in a stuff pack but he could provide these few pets, so he did. I am glad he made the choice.

But to get to your point - I would not have had any opinion on pets at all had they not delivered toddlers as I was technically done, so I probably wouldn't have known period. I am a family player and that is just the way it is. My sims kids need a Hedgehog and Gerbil.

Thank you! You hit it right out of the ball park for me. Love your posts!

Thank you.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

I dont think so. Laundry day didnt have a ton going on animation wise. The SP has tons of new animation stuff with the little critters. Laundry day actually reuses animations from other things.

Hm, I don't know. That SP just added to much it feels like a tiny GP to me. But I don't have any facts so you might be right.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

Well, I do think we should account for the whole disease and death. The disease was programmed to be contagious, but only advances in a played household. It also has two or three stages that affect certain need decay. Then there is an entire new death animation in itself, and in addition to that, there are odd animations for the rodents when they do their weird little things. So in the entire rodent area, I think there must have been a lot of programming. I won't deny that. But it's very odd for a Stuff Pack and that's why I feel that it was pulled from the development of a larger "small pets" pack.
    #Team Occult
    LiELF wrote: »

Well, I do think we should account for the whole disease and death. The disease was programmed to be contagious, but only advances in a played household. It also has two or three stages that affect certain need decay. Then there is an entire new death animation in itself, and in addition to that, there are odd animations for the rodents when they do their weird little things. So in the entire rodent area, I think there must have been a lot of programming. I won't deny that. But it's very odd for a Stuff Pack and that's why I feel that it was pulled from the development of a larger "small pets" pack.

You're right. Those things of course require animation. And since I have no actual information regarding the animation required for Laundry Day vs MFP, I'm going to take that bit back. :)
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    There are a lot of things wrong with this pack. It would have been much better if the EP for Cats and Dogs was fleshed out with these kinds of items, even if it meant a delay. I think SP's should remain independent of EP's and GP's and stand on their own. The pack just kind of leaves you with a unsettling moodlet. It is not that it is not cute. It is. But that is only one layer of the onion. I hope in hindsight, EA learns from this.

Will I buy. Probably yes. But not tomorrow. I will wait for the 50% off sale, which I think will be soon. I have Cats and Dogs, but it is the principle of the thing. Technically it is only 1/2 a pack.

Unsettling moodlet +5 :D

*Hangs expensive painting on room next door*

Very happy moodlet +8 :D

Plum those paintings!! *Shakes fist*
    #Team Occult
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    There are a lot of things wrong with this pack. It would have been much better if the EP for Cats and Dogs was fleshed out with these kinds of items, even if it meant a delay. I think SP's should remain independent of EP's and GP's and stand on their own. The pack just kind of leaves you with a unsettling moodlet. It is not that it is not cute. It is. But that is only one layer of the onion. I hope in hindsight, EA learns from this.

Will I buy. Probably yes. But not tomorrow. I will wait for the 50% off sale, which I think will be soon. I have Cats and Dogs, but it is the principle of the thing. Technically it is only 1/2 a pack.

Where did you get money from? My cheat console seems to be broken, and I can't use motherlode :/
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member

Luckily I am not a sim, lol.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    These recolors are definitely patch worthy :D:'( Some of the CAS stuff is just recolors of old meshes. I'm sad. Should have just been patched in

Someone (A Maxis employee) still put in time and effort to make those textures and designs. So should he not get paid for it? Im sure he did it on the clock, and billed the hours.

I'm sure that person still gets paid. The sales revenue does not go directly to creators and developers.

Regardless of where the money goes, the charge for the work still goes towards the product budget, which is limited. Though, as small as this pack is, it seems like the gameplay item would have to have a lot of attention to it to make up for the low number of items we seem to be getting in this pack.

Well if the ep is so lacking - there's the sp taking up the slack.... is all I can say.

Next time maybe they won't come in and take up the slack then we'll just be lacking stuff. Wouldn't blame the sp team at all after this is they steered totally away from the other packs.

This isn't really a blame game for me. I don't mind C&D, in general, I just find it kind of meh. Like a lot of other people who have posted, I think the GPs and most of the SPs have been on point and the majority of the EPs have just been ok. But, that doesn't negate the fact that this particular SP seems a bit skimpy. I'm not saying it to throw blame, just saying what it looks like. I'll be interested to see what kinds of animations and interactions we have with the small pets because that's the only thing I can think of that would have taken up so much of the budget to leave us with so few objects included.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper

Luckily I am not a sim, lol.

Totally off topic but: imagine that, especially during Sims 1 times when you could actually get stuck between a chair and a plate and end up peeing yourself/starving.
  • PeanutButterSims2002PeanutButterSims2002 Posts: 104 Member

Well if the ep is so lacking - there's the sp taking up the slack.... is all I can say.

Next time maybe they won't come in and take up the slack then we'll just be lacking stuff. Wouldn't blame the sp team at all after this is they steered totally away from the other packs.

This isn't really a blame game for me. I don't mind C&D, in general, I just find it kind of meh. Like a lot of other people who have posted, I think the GPs and most of the SPs have been on point and the majority of the EPs have just been ok. But, that doesn't negate the fact that this particular SP seems a bit skimpy. I'm not saying it to throw blame, just saying what it looks like. I'll be interested to see what kinds of animations and interactions we have with the small pets because that's the only thing I can think of that would have taken up so much of the budget to leave us with so few objects included.

I agree with you too. Game Packs made the game amazing but Expansion packs for me are kind of a "meh" They are not the same as big of an expansion pack before. (and up until now I am still Enraged that we can't use cash register from GTW like what is the purpose of the cash register if we can't use it. We just need an option on the game. ) :)

Maybe I haven't played with it enough but there don't seem to be a ton of animations related to laundry day. Though, I haven't used the washtub yet so that probably used quite a few animations.

Maybe I haven't played with it enough but there don't seem to be a ton of animations related to laundry day. Though, I haven't used the washtub yet so that probably used quite a few animations.

Hm, who knows. But the gameplay object isn't really an issue to me in itself. It's cute. But it's not making up for everything else that I find problematic.
    LiELF wrote: »

If I had to purely speculate, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Perhaps they were planning a GP or SP entirely for small pets and decided to split them out into individual SPs since, as Graham shared, they felt like people would want to pick and choose which small pets to pick up. Plus adding in the disease/death thing may have taken too much of their animation budget to be able to add in enough animations for other small pets. So they added some BB, CAS and stuff related to C&D to fill it out instead.

Purely speculating, as mentioned, since I don't really know.

I agree with you too. Game Packs made the game amazing but Expansion packs for me are kind of a "meh" They are not the same as big of an expansion pack before. (and up until now I am still Enraged that we can't use cash register from GTW like what is the purpose of the cash register if we can't use it. We just need an option on the game. ) :)

My biggest gripe with GTW was that we didn't get mixed lots so we couldn't combine businesses or have a residential/business lot. But they did explain why in one of the tech threads and I've figured out ways around it.
  • PeanutButterSims2002PeanutButterSims2002 Posts: 104 Member

My biggest gripe with GTW was that we didn't get mixed lots so we couldn't combine businesses or have a residential/business lot. But they did explain why in one of the tech threads and I've figured out ways around it.

Really? can you post the link of the explanation please. <3

Ooh, I'll see if I can find it. It was ages ago back when they had a tech thread pinned at the top of the General Discussion section.
  • ReitannaReitanna Posts: 294 Member
    *takes deep breath* ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need rats!!! HAMSTERS ARE AWESOME!!! I love small pets! if you can't tell, I'm excited.
    I'm so old, I remember when "hashtags" were called POUND SIGNS.

K7ZEXAi.png

Ooh, I'll see if I can find it. It was ages ago back when they had a tech thread pinned at the top of the General Discussion section.

No joy. :( I have no clue where they moved that thread. I skimmed through Grahams section but didn't see it. I'll try again when I have more time.
    Reitanna wrote: »
    *takes deep breath* ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need rats!!! HAMSTERS ARE AWESOME!!! I love small pets! if you can't tell, I'm excited.

They have rats and, my favorite, the voidcritter/tiny waterbuffalo. <3