Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 My First Pet Stuff - A Stuff Pack filled with Fur

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I may also add, I hate how they are removing content that deem too much, like a dang hamster dying...geez, when did the sims because this always happy place?? I swear I loved the old games ... I mean, they won't add burglars cuz it scares people..I admit the TS1 music of a burglar etc. scared me but I also liked stuff like that/..also how they fixed vampires from never breaking in anymore (SERIOUSLY?!)....why are people so sensitive nowadays??? Geez, it's ruining the original spark and quirkiness of the sims...sorry not sorry.

Actually, Vampires should still be breaking in and feeding on Sims. That was clarified by SimGuruNinja. :)
    #Team Occult
  • sundaysimmersundaysimmer Posts: 201 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I may also add, I hate how they are removing content that deem too much, like a dang hamster dying...geez, when did the sims because this always happy place?? I swear I loved the old games ... I mean, they won't add burglars cuz it scares people..I admit the TS1 music of a burglar etc. scared me but I also liked stuff like that/..also how they fixed vampires from never breaking in anymore (SERIOUSLY?!)....why are people so sensitive nowadays??? Geez, it's ruining the original spark and quirkiness of the sims...sorry not sorry.

Actually, Vampires should still be breaking in and feeding on Sims. That was clarified by SimGuruNinja. :)

They are. Vlad broke into my Sim's empty lot on Saturday. :D
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2018
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Terra wrote: »
    Does anybody have any recommended reviews to watch?

You can check out this thread: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/936664/early-access-thread-for-my-first-pet-eagamechangers-monday-march-12th/p1

Anyway it's even more disappointing than I expected it could be lol ... :disappointed: Oh well, what's done is done. Kinda hoping people will stand their ground on this.

Oh and to follow up on my own comment.

I really hate wanting the rodents, you know? I feel like I've watched enough reviews now to see my opinion confirmed over and over again by so many different people: that it's a money grab, that only very very few people will be interested in the CAP stuff (why not a little more collars & scarves, and a lot less clothes?), that CAS is just bad and B&B ... whatever. And then there's those object-rodents & the new death type.

Like, why EA, why?! I know I said I'm done talking about this but every time I see/hear it, I just go through the exact same rollercoaster of thoughts and emotions, ending with: why do you have to lock two features you know so many people want (small pets & new death types) into a pack like this?! A pack full of content I already own anyway in different swatches? Would it have been so hard to put these two things in a pack with things that are actually new? It makes me feel so annoyed for wanting the rodents and especially death & not being able to get either one because this is something I can't for the life of me support.

Yes, I've said this all before but argh. It's depressing. There you go.

I hope those who will buy it enjoy the pack. And I hope the devs/EA/whoever will take this rather unanimous feedback to heart (coming from literally anywhere, be it this community, twitter, tumblr, reddit, youtube, and their own game changers) and never bring out a pack like this again.... :angry:
    Post edited by SimTrippy on
  • mchaistmchaist Posts: 1 New Member
    It looks like I will not be buying this stuff pack...I own Cats and Dogs, but I'm irritated with the DLC for your DLC...
    The Toddler Stuff pack made sense cause it was DLC for a Free Update to the game. This just feels like, "Hey, we had all these neat ideas and cool stuff that we didn't include in Cats and Dogs, why not put it out as another Stuff pack and get more money for these already thought out items?"
    I really wouldn't be surprised if the hamster/mouse was something they had thought about putting in, but then added it to this pack because they had to add something interactive.
    I absolutely HATE that I will be missing out on new beds and toys for my pets because the amount that had come out with Cats and Dogs was really sad, but I won't give you my money for something like this...
    I hope you do better with your next DLC.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

OH good that they fixed that, but I hated that they removed it for a little while cuz of people whining of it being too scary...so THANK goodness.

• OddzballOddzball Posts: 141 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »

So yes, people will still swarm to future Sims packs. Either because they have some weird form of Stockholm syndrome, are very young and don't understand that they're getting exploited or just because the theme of the pack(s) sounds promising.

........So just telling them to go because you seem to like the direction the game goes and are looking forward to potential seasons packs is just friggin rude.

Annnd.. this is my point. Because Its not just possible that I like the pack, and frankly dont really see an issue with it? Weve had far worse packs, trust me.

But nope, I must have "stolkholm sydrome" or be a child huh? Really? So yeah, when you take the attitude youre taking, where not all of us lose our collective minds over what IMO is a pretty minor SP, over $10, so we must either be mentally dysfunctional or a child.

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    NickSims wrote: »
    I just watched a couple of reviews of this pack, and I have to say, I feel even stronger about my stance now. And in reference to this statement I made a few pages ago...
    I believe that EA anticipated C&D would be a big seller due to demand, and I wouldn't doubt for a second that as soon as they saw those $$$ that they told the devs to find a way to extend those sales and milk that theme for whatever it's worth. This pack wasn't even in the monthly teaser, remember. Does anyone find that strange? I do. And I think there may even be some other small pets in early development, maybe with the intent of giving us that small pets pack one day, but suddenly they had to pull the rodents for this stuff pack under EA's demand to stretch profits. Who knows what happened? They certainly won't tell us.

...I feel even more convinced that there might be a lot of truth to this theory and that really bums me out. This pack doesn't even feel cohesive or complete. The whole disease and death aspect feel like it was created for a bigger pack. The hamster suit has no swatches, the rodents have no swatches, there is a dust bath but no chinchilla, which is just strange because I don't think other rodents even need dust baths, do they? I've owned both hamsters and chinchillas and the reason that chinchillas need dust baths is because their fur grows about eight hairs to a follicle and they can't get wet or they will actually grow mold. But I digress, and I'll admit that might be nitpicking because not everyone would know that.

This pack feels like it has aspects intended for something bigger, objects that were retextured, sim clothing that was rushed out with very few swatches, pet clothing that matches cas from other packs, and a few new things. The gorgeous round aquarium coffee table doesn't even have a plain swatch, or the same option as the aquariums that we have already where we can stock it with fish of our choosing. Most of the furniture is for kids with a few pieces of random living room items thrown in. When I look at everything together, it's just weird.

This pack does not speak to me of a well-planned development idea. This screams of "How can we quickly capitalize max profits on our best selling expansion?"

This has really killed my optimistic momentum. I thought we had a great last year where things were finally coming together and making more sense and feeling like our feedback was being heard and implemented. And I do really hope that this pack will turn out to be just a one time bad decision, and that those who have spoken against this direction have been heard, and that the game gets back on the track it was going.

But man, even this decision to keep our sims from experiencing any kind of sadness toward the death of their "first pet" feels so patronising, and I feel a need to reference this amazing post from @Bonnie highlighting something that has bothered me about the emotion system since the Sims 4 began:
    Bonnie wrote: »
    Personally, I think the Sim's has the perfect opportunity here to replicate that and to provide a safe and comforting environment in which to experience some of the more negative transitions in life. They already do for the most part, as shown very often in the sims with the death of a loved one, couples splitting, developing new relationships with friends and having new additions to the family! But, as care providers, this is where the line is drawn for us. We can't replicate divorce or death in the classroom for children to experience. However, the game gives them the opportunity to see and be involved in some of the possible outcomes of transition from a third person perspective. I honestly believe that it could only be beneficial to a child to see the genuine reaction of someone who's first pet has just died. I'm not suggesting they turn the sims into a life lesson for children but removing that negative buff in my opinion and from a childcare perspective only gives the impression that it's not appropriate to be sad when a first pet dies. I'm very aware that this is just a game and children are smart enough to see the difference, but I still believe you have the perfect opportunity to turn this into something good.

It is no secret that the emotion system itself has been the subject of great debate and discontent. It is skewed in favor of constant positivity. The absence of fear, the overbuff of happiness, the default emotional state when using cheats that make a sim "happy" and not "fine". By not allowing our sims to have honest emotional states and the ability to stick to them, it sends a message that those emotions are inappropriate and abnormal. It says that to feel this way is too traumatic, that there is no way to overcome it or gain strength from it, that life should always bring happiness or something isn't right. The Sims 4 was designed to focus on emotions. It was basically intended to be more of an emotional simulator than its predecessors. Well, why on earth would they make this development decision if the company itself cannot even handle giving our Sims the standard spectrum and being honest about it? This is one of the things that will never stop bothering me. Was this the intent with this pack? To soften the fragility of sadness when a pet is lost? But if so, then why is it okay to mourn our cats and dogs? Well, in that case, maybe the real truth is that this pack was just rushed so fast that they didn't even have the chance to program a darn sad moodlet buff. Either way, it's not a good thing.

One last thing I need to comment on, is the disease/death/ghost. I love the disease aspect. I love that it's contagious. I love the death itself, which is probably the most gruesome that we've received yet, with the foaming at the mouth effect. It's awesome and I love it. But oh GAWD do I hate that hamster ghost. And it was great foresight to include a way to get rid of the hamster appearance, but why oh WHY does it also get rid of the foaming mouth? Those would have been the best, creepiest ghosts yet. So, so, SO disappointing. :(

I agree. The lack of emotion for rodent death is appalling. Over sight or running out of time does not excuse it. It’s basically saying that rodents don’t matter much and that being sad over a rodent death is too negative? What the heck? Pray tell EA what is releasing your rodent into the the wild then? A day out for them? (Yup you can still set your rodents free).i imagine a child setting their rodent free would find that pretty negative particularly if it was say their siblings rodent. But hey, doesn’t matter. The sim will not care.

I agree about the disease and the ghost. I love guinea pig disease. I still play the sims 1, but I’m not buying this pack out of principle.

It's so weird to me. They call it "My First Pet". I think a first pet dying must have a pretty big impact on a kid. Why wasn't a sad emotion when a rodent dies added in the game? Shouldn't it be extra important to add it since it's a sims's first pet? Again, I just don't understand any decision that was made for this pack.

Yeah, that seems like an odd call on their part. It could have been a great parenting moment too.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Oddzball wrote: »

So yes, people will still swarm to future Sims packs. Either because they have some weird form of Stockholm syndrome, are very young and don't understand that they're getting exploited or just because the theme of the pack(s) sounds promising.

........So just telling them to go because you seem to like the direction the game goes and are looking forward to potential seasons packs is just friggin rude.

Annnd.. this is my point. Because Its not just possible that I like the pack, and frankly dont really see an issue with it? Weve had far worse packs, trust me.

But nope, I must have "stolkholm sydrome" or be a child huh? Really? So yeah, when you take the attitude youre taking, where not all of us lose our collective minds over what IMO is a pretty minor SP, over $10, so we must either be mentally dysfunctional or a child.

You have to stop taking this so personally.

I like the content too, or well 40-50% of it, but I cannot stand the way it's released. If you don't see it that way, okay, but you must be able to see from how many different places and directions this very same feedback is coming? Even people who get the game for free are very reluctant recommending it. I have never heard them struggle through their reviews like I did today. We understand you like the pack, or I do, and it's your right to buy it and enjoy the hell out of it. No one should make you feel bad for it. But please let people be critical about this without taking it so personal. Because you know what? Companies need to hear our thoughts and if a very strong majority think: what the hell is this? Then yeah, they should hear it. They should hear it and act on it by at the very least never doing it again.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I like the content too, or well 40-50% of it, but I cannot stand the way it's released. If you don't see it that way, okay, but you must be able to see from how many different places and directions this very same feedback is coming? Even people who get the game for free are very reluctant recommending it. I have never heard them struggle through their reviews like I did today. We understand you like the pack, or I do, and it's your right to buy it and enjoy the hell out of it. No one should make you feel bad for it. But please let people be critical about this without taking it so personal. Because you know what? Companies need to hear our thoughts and if a very strong majority think: what the hell is this? Then yeah, they should hear it. They should hear it and act on it by at the very least never doing it again.

Precisely. A moderator has said we are allowed to give feedback in this thread. People are entitled to give it. Constructive criticism is the only hope we have of preventing them from repeating this exercise again in a few months.

If people want to buy it, knock themselves out but I don’t understand why someone saying they don’t like it would upset them.
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member

OH good that they fixed that, but I hated that they removed it for a little while cuz of people whining of it being too scary...so THANK goodness.

Technically, it was never broken or taken away. SimGuruNinja misspoke and apologized here. :)
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
    I just watched a couple of reviews of this pack, and I have to say, I feel even stronger about my stance now. And in reference to this statement I made a few pages ago...
    I believe that EA anticipated C&D would be a big seller due to demand, and I wouldn't doubt for a second that as soon as they saw those $$$ that they told the devs to find a way to extend those sales and milk that theme for whatever it's worth. This pack wasn't even in the monthly teaser, remember. Does anyone find that strange? I do. And I think there may even be some other small pets in early development, maybe with the intent of giving us that small pets pack one day, but suddenly they had to pull the rodents for this stuff pack under EA's demand to stretch profits. Who knows what happened? They certainly won't tell us.

...I feel even more convinced that there might be a lot of truth to this theory and that really bums me out. This pack doesn't even feel cohesive or complete. The whole disease and death aspect feel like it was created for a bigger pack. The hamster suit has no swatches, the rodents have no swatches, there is a dust bath but no chinchilla, which is just strange because I don't think other rodents even need dust baths, do they? I've owned both hamsters and chinchillas and the reason that chinchillas need dust baths is because their fur grows about eight hairs to a follicle and they can't get wet or they will actually grow mold. But I digress, and I'll admit that might be nitpicking because not everyone would know that.

This pack feels like it has aspects intended for something bigger, objects that were retextured, sim clothing that was rushed out with very few swatches, pet clothing that matches cas from other packs, and a few new things. The gorgeous round aquarium coffee table doesn't even have a plain swatch, or the same option as the aquariums that we have already where we can stock it with fish of our choosing. Most of the furniture is for kids with a few pieces of random living room items thrown in. When I look at everything together, it's just weird.

This pack does not speak to me of a well-planned development idea. This screams of "How can we quickly capitalize max profits on our best selling expansion?"

This has really killed my optimistic momentum. I thought we had a great last year where things were finally coming together and making more sense and feeling like our feedback was being heard and implemented. And I do really hope that this pack will turn out to be just a one time bad decision, and that those who have spoken against this direction have been heard, and that the game gets back on the track it was going.

But man, even this decision to keep our sims from experiencing any kind of sadness toward the death of their "first pet" feels so patronising, and I feel a need to reference this amazing post from @Bonnie highlighting something that has bothered me about the emotion system since the Sims 4 began:
    Bonnie wrote: »
    Personally, I think the Sim's has the perfect opportunity here to replicate that and to provide a safe and comforting environment in which to experience some of the more negative transitions in life. They already do for the most part, as shown very often in the sims with the death of a loved one, couples splitting, developing new relationships with friends and having new additions to the family! But, as care providers, this is where the line is drawn for us. We can't replicate divorce or death in the classroom for children to experience. However, the game gives them the opportunity to see and be involved in some of the possible outcomes of transition from a third person perspective. I honestly believe that it could only be beneficial to a child to see the genuine reaction of someone who's first pet has just died. I'm not suggesting they turn the sims into a life lesson for children but removing that negative buff in my opinion and from a childcare perspective only gives the impression that it's not appropriate to be sad when a first pet dies. I'm very aware that this is just a game and children are smart enough to see the difference, but I still believe you have the perfect opportunity to turn this into something good.

It is no secret that the emotion system itself has been the subject of great debate and discontent. It is skewed in favor of constant positivity. The absence of fear, the overbuff of happiness, the default emotional state when using cheats that make a sim "happy" and not "fine". By not allowing our sims to have honest emotional states and the ability to stick to them, it sends a message that those emotions are inappropriate and abnormal. It says that to feel this way is too traumatic, that there is no way to overcome it or gain strength from it, that life should always bring happiness or something isn't right. The Sims 4 was designed to focus on emotions. It was basically intended to be more of an emotional simulator than its predecessors. Well, why on earth would they make this development decision if the company itself cannot even handle giving our Sims the standard spectrum and being honest about it? This is one of the things that will never stop bothering me. Was this the intent with this pack? To soften the fragility of sadness when a pet is lost? But if so, then why is it okay to mourn our cats and dogs? Well, in that case, maybe the real truth is that this pack was just rushed so fast that they didn't even have the chance to program a darn sad moodlet buff. Either way, it's not a good thing.

One last thing I need to comment on, is the disease/death/ghost. I love the disease aspect. I love that it's contagious. I love the death itself, which is probably the most gruesome that we've received yet, with the foaming at the mouth effect. It's awesome and I love it. But oh GAWD do I hate that hamster ghost. And it was great foresight to include a way to get rid of the hamster appearance, but why oh WHY does it also get rid of the foaming mouth? Those would have been the best, creepiest ghosts yet. So, so, SO disappointing. :(

I just watched a few reviews and I completely agree with this post.

I wanted to keep an open mind and I was actually afraid I might want this pack despite how it's released but I really don't. I like the modern pet doors and the blinds but I can live without those. I'd like having the guinea pig disease in my game for nostalgic reasons but the whole brain-numbing thing is too weird.

I'm going to sum up my feelings for this pack by just saying that it should have been included in a complete Pets EP.
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.

Precisely. A moderator has said we are allowed to give feedback in this thread. People are entitled to give it. Constructive criticism is the only hope we have of preventing them from repeating this exercise again in a few months.

If people want to buy it, knock themselves out but I don’t understand why someone saying they don’t like it would upset them.

How the heck is saying those of us who buy it must be "Children" or have "STOCKHOLM SYDROME" constructive feedback? You know what that is? Its called passive aggressive backhanded insults. What exactly about saying that is "constructive criticism"?

How the heck is saying those of us who buy it must be "Children" or have "STOCKHOLM SYDROME" constructive feedback? You know what that is? Its called passive aggressive backhanded insults. What exactly about saying that is "constructive criticism"?

I haven’t seen that. If someone has been rude to you personally use the report button. But this thread has been fairly civilised.

Constructive feed back on the game, not the player.

I haven’t seen that. If someone has been rude to you personally use the report button. But this thread has been fairly civilised.

3 posts up, I literally just quoted it from this thread. Yes, nobody is taking people saying they dont like the pack personal. But what I do take personal is frankly what amount to personal attacks on fans who just want to enjoy this pack. This is the kind of attitude (That yes is happening on both sides) that is frustrating me. That we must somehow be shills, or children, or essentially mentally unstable(Stolkholm, stupid, etc etc).
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Can't WAIT for LGR to chime in on this one... I stand by what I said before - I'm disappointed in @SimGuruGraham for the decision to omit a sad moodlet for pet deaths. It's downright irresponsible.

100% agree with you. I almost cant even believe they would leave such a thing out... But, here we are.
    edited March 2018

3 posts up, I literally just quoted it from this thread. Yes, nobody is taking people saying they dont like the pack personal. But what I do take personal is frankly what amount to personal attacks on fans who just want to enjoy this pack. This is the kind of attitude (That yes is happening on both sides) that is frustrating me. That we must somehow be shills, or children, or essentially mentally unstable(Stolkholm, stupid, etc etc).

We've been over this. So many posters have agreed that it's not okay to do that and that it's not typical for either side.

I mean this in the least aggressive way possible: What do you mean to achieve by continuing to comment this? I don't mean this as hate at all; I'm just trying to understand because to me it seems that almost everyone here agrees that personal attacks and name calling are not okay.

Edited: typo.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

Why do people keep missing that part? There have been fans on this forum who have admitted that they fall under the "I shouldn't want it, but I do" category. Extending beyond the forums there are people who willingly admit they have a sort of Stockholm thing going on when it comes to TS4. Yoko2112 didn't say that applied to everyone. There are three catagorize listed to fall into. Does no one reacting to this think the theme sounds promising? :confused:

And if I recall correctly that comment was in response to someone else.
    KqGXVAC.jpg

We've been over this. So many posters have agreed that it's not okay to do that and that it's not typical for either side.

I mean this in the least aggressive way possible: What do you mean to achieve by continuing to comment this? I don't mean this as hate at all; I'm just trying to understand because to me it seems that almost everyone here agrees that personal attacks and name calling are not okay.

Im sorry, Ive just gotten so frustrated with the whole issue. I know continuing to discuss it doesnt do any good and I should just ignore it.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    edited March 2018

:D

Yup! No reason anyone should take that personally... at all!

:D

Sometimes I can't tell if people miss the point, or ignore it in favor of something else.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.

Im sorry, Ive just gotten so frustrated with the whole issue. I know continuing to discuss it doesnt do any good and I should just ignore it.

Like someone else suggested, just use the flag button if it gets personal. Don't engage and don't let negative opinions spoil the game for you.

(I know that's funny coming from someone who is very much against this pack but it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks if you're excited about it.)
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

but they didnt cry for small pets in any sims game though I would like it if they did
    when my sims fish died in sims 3 they just complained of the smell
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    Can't WAIT for LGR to chime in on this one... I stand by what I said before - I'm disappointed in @SimGuruGraham for the decision to omit a sad moodlet for pet deaths. It's downright irresponsible.

100% agree with you. I almost cant even believe they would leave such a thing out... But, here we are.

YES I cannot wait to see what he says he's gonna have a field day!....But I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to not buy it...

edited March 2018

but they didnt cry for small pets in any sims game though I would like it if they did
    when my sims fish died in sims 3 they just complained of the smell

I disagree. They reacted. Sims 4 sims are not going to react period. Little Hammy is gone and they don’t care one bit.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »

It makes the game soooo boring to have everything work out. I can keep my game running and not even play and everything will work out. Sims 5 will sims not be aloud to die? Because people are so sensitive.

well its that way in the new sims mobile game your sims get old but don't die
    they could die at first but they removed it so it may be true that sims 5 will be the worst sims game ever
    more for sim kids and more drama please