March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC should stand for Causes Confusion

I've been researching and studying the use of CC for a couple weeks now. Even going as far as taking notes. However there are a few things I am still unclear on:

1] If you download a compressed folder with nothing but .package files in it can it be put into the Mods folder as is or does it still need to be unzipped and then put into the Mods folder?
    2] What if there are only one or two things I want from a compressed file? Can I put just those files into my Mods folder?
    3] Am I allowed to rename folders/files I am downloading (I wld like to knw whts wht & include the creator's name) or will that void the material I'm downloading?
    4] A lot of sites say to read the description before downloading anything but I'm quickly learning that not many Artists/Creators bother to include a lot of information (ex. thesimscatalog gives little to know info on game/pack req. or if a cc is default or non-default replacement.)
    5] I just downloaded my first object cc (windows), where would I find it? Will it be an option in Build mode? How about buy mode items like kitchen appliances, clutter, etc.?
    6] If i take a file from a file from a compressed folder and moved it to my Mods folder, is that the same thing as unzipping it?
    That's all the questions I can think of right now. If any of you have seen my posts you'll know they're mostly questions, and that there will be more soon lol

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
      edited March 2018
      1. You have to unzip them. Certain mods (not CC) would require the file to remain zipped, but that would be made clear by the author, and it doesn't apply to archives with package files in them.
      2. Yes
      3. Yes, avoid special characters (~!@#$%^&*(), spaces, etc) because those will increase loading time.
      4. Most authors will include all the information you need to know. If they don't you can either choose to not download their work or test it out and see. If they don't give any special information then you should just assume there isn't any, though.
      5. The mod author defines that. But there's a tag to search for custom content objects that you can use to find it quickly.
      6. Yes
      HdLHa3j.png
      (◡‿◡✿)
    • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,773 Member
      1. If it is compressed it needs to be unzipped and then put into the Mods folder. HOWEVER, if there is a folder containing .package files inside the compressed folder, that may go directly into the Mods folder.

2. Yes, you may pick and choose.

3. Yes! Rename away! You may also make new folders to put your .package files in if you like.

4. It's always good to at least skim the description. Sometimes there may be a mesh file that is needed in order for a recolor to work.

5. CC buy mode objects should appear in the proper categories. You can always choose show all in a particular category such as Decorations and then choose Custom Content from the Sort Menu on the far right of the screen to see all your CC Decorations.

6. Yes, it is fine to cut and paste .package files.
    • PiratePirate Posts: 66 Member
      I don't understand "Mesh". Where do I get those? Oh and after I get what I want from a C.F. (compressed file) can I delete the folder from my TS4 content folder and still keep what I wanted in my Mod folder?
      Oh! in the Mods folder, can you have subfolders inside your subfolders?
      1. A mesh is when one piece of CC has been created using another piece of CC as a reference and the original piece of CC is needed for the new item to work. Creators will always tell you if the original is needed and usually provide a link to find it. Here is an example of what I mean:
      http://13pumpkin31.tumblr.com/post/167631763186/sims-4-trillykes-deja-vu-dress-cozy-socks

2. Yes, you can delete the compressed folder when you are done with it without affecting anything you have removed from it.

3. Yes you can have subfolders inside your subfolders. I think you can go 5 layers deep.
      What does it mean when a creator's game is "patched" or "fully patched" and how do I tell if my game is?
      edited March 2018
      Patches are when the game updates. Like last Thursday. Most likely your game is set to automatically update. Oh, now that you are using CC and Mods you will need to go into the game and re-enable them everytime the game is updated. Maxis automatically disables them. Also, you can check the Mods Bugs & Issues category here in the forums to see if any CC or Mods have broken due to the patches/updates (sometimes game tuning is changed and it affects CC). You can also find out how to fix any problems broken CC may be giving you.
      Thank you @Bananas_45 for your patience and sharing your wisdom. I wish I could say that was my last question lol
      Are you supposed to give credit to every creator who content/mod you use when you upload a build/sim for a challenge or to the Gallery or what have you, and if so how does one go about doing that?
      No problem at all. I'm happy to help.

You don't have to give credit unless you are showing off CC on a Website, then you need to properly credit. If it's for the Gallery, it's okay not to.
    • midnitetechmidnitetech Posts: 283 Member
      Pirate wrote: »
      Are you supposed to give credit to every creator who content/mod you use when you upload a build/sim for a challenge or to the Gallery or what have you, and if so how does one go about doing that?

If you're uploading a build or sim to the Gallery with custom content, it won't be included when someone else downloads it. However, you can leave links to the original creators download page in the description of your Gallery item so others can find the CC. Also, you can create a Tumblr account, where you can post your creations.

Most creators state in their terms of use that you cannot reupload their content though, so always put links so your followers can find the CC you've used.

I have a guide available to custom content on my blog, too, if you want to take a look, here.