Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who actually USES pet clothing?

Comments

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited March 2018
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Who uses that wall speaker from Backyard Stuff? Who uses that stove and refrigerator combo from Cool Kitchen Stuff? Who uses that rich guy dress robe from Vintage Glamour Stuff?

People use what they like. They're stuff packs, I buy them for 'stuff' - CAS and build items. The "gameplay" item isn't ever really a factor. I think I've used the ball pit once. I've never had my sims play a game of Voidcritters. I've never even placed a water slide. However, the pet clothes are goofy and fun, and they aren't real pets; they're polygons. I will probably use the new outfits too.

What's wrong with the stove and fridge?
    Nothing. That's the point.
    I think it's a stretch to call pet clothing abusive, especially IRL. If anything is "abusive" for Sims pets it is the brain numbing pill for hamsters.

It is not a stretch to call unnecessary cutesy costumes as I see fit. I only see those as pure abuse, in-game and irl. The mind- numbing pill is also not something I would see positively. Oh, and they also "released" the rodents to nature during stream which is irresponsible as well as abusive.

Yes, totally this! For once, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Do you know the various environmental implications this could have on the ecosystem? Invasive species happen in places they didn't exist before, primarily because pet owners think it's alright to release them out in the wild, thinking it will be a-ok. No, it won't! A great example of this is the problem in the Florida Everglades where boa constrictors run rampant because of owners who released their pet snakes into the swamp thinking it would be perfectly fine. If you think harming the environment is fine, well I have no words.

Also, think of the creature you released into the wild. Sure, some animals like boas clearly can make it out in the wild, but little rodents like that have higher probabilities to die in the wild. Domesticated animals factually do not survive in the wild as easily as their wild cousins can, because of generations of domestications that make them eventually reliant and dependent on captive care. If this were the real world, I'd feel very sorry for that poor hamster or reskinned hamster thing, having to brave the dangers of the wild in which they were not bred to survive in.
    It's a video game.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Who uses that wall speaker from Backyard Stuff? Who uses that stove and refrigerator combo from Cool Kitchen Stuff? Who uses that rich guy dress robe from Vintage Glamour Stuff?

People use what they like. They're stuff packs, I buy them for 'stuff' - CAS and build items. The "gameplay" item isn't ever really a factor. I think I've used the ball pit once. I've never had my sims play a game of Voidcritters. I've never even placed a water slide. However, the pet clothes are goofy and fun, and they aren't real pets; they're polygons. I will probably use the new outfits too.

I think it's a stretch to call pet clothing abusive, especially IRL. If anything is "abusive" for Sims pets it is the brain numbing pill for hamsters.

It is not a stretch to call unnecessary cutesy costumes as I see fit. I only see those as pure abuse, in-game and irl. The mind- numbing pill is also not something I would see positively. Oh, and they also "released" the rodents to nature during stream which is irresponsible as well as abusive.

Do you know the various environmental implications this could have on the ecosystem? Invasive species happen in places they didn't exist before, primarily because pet owners think it's alright to release them out in the wild, thinking it will be a-ok. No, it won't! A great example of this is the problem in the Florida Everglades where boa constrictors run rampant because of owners who released their pet snakes into the swamp thinking it would be perfectly fine. If you think harming the environment is fine, well I have no words.

Also, think of the creature you released into the wild. Sure, some animals like boas clearly can make it out in the wild, but little rodents like that have higher probabilities to die in the wild. Domesticated animals factually do not survive in the wild as easily as their wild cousins can, because of generations of domestications that make them eventually reliant and dependent on captive care. If this were the real world, I'd feel very sorry for that poor hamster or reskinned hamster thing, having to brave the dangers of the wild in which they were not bred to survive in.
    It's a video game.

If this were the real world was included in my statement.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png

It's a video game.

But it isn't. So despawn your polygon hamsters at will.
  • DraconDracon Posts: 119 Member
    I personally rarely use any pet clothes, apart from Dog harnesses, and a standard dog t-shirt for a casual everyday look. While I do not mind pet clothing, I think that if anything, all clothing for Cats and Dogs should have already been included in the Cats and Dogs expansion pack, instead of incorporating a good chunk in a stuff pack just because.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I don't. Doesn't even make sense to me irl.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited March 2018

It's a video game.

But it doesn't bode well in teaching irl consequences either. It just makes it appear as if small caged animals are disposable objects.

I know there must be an advocacy community that may bring backlash to the game developers for "releasing to the wild." Even jokingly doing that to pixelated small rodents should not be seen in a positive manner.

It's a video game.

But it doesn't bode well in teaching irl consequences either. It just makes it appear as if small caged animals are disposable objects.

I know there must be an advocacy community that may bring backlash the game developers for "releasing to the wild." Even jokingly doing that to pixelated small rodents should not be seen in a positive manner.
    I would suggest that education is better served out of the realm of video games. Europa Universalis does not serve as an appropriate primer for geopolitics. ArmA does not satisfy the requirments of a firearm safetey course. The Sims 4 is not a course in personal responsibility. Those things are better served by parents and schools.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

It's a video game.

I know there must be an advocacy community that may bring backlash to the game developers for "releasing to the wild." Even jokingly doing that to pixelated small rodents should not be seen in a positive manner.

Yeah, where's my advocates for poor vampire sims burning in the sun too! Oh, wait. :p

I'm sorry, but cats and dogs in cutsie costumes doesn't even begin to compare with the likes of what can come from an alien abduction. :| And yet it's silly costumes that are the problem, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

It's a video game.

I know there must be an advocacy community that may bring backlash the game developers for "releasing to the wild." Even jokingly doing that to pixelated small rodents should not be seen in a positive manner.
    I would suggest that education is better served out of the realm of video games. Europa Universalis does not serve as an appropriate primer for geopolitics. ArmA does not satisfy the requirments of a firearm safetey course. The Sims 4 is not a course in personal responsibility. Those things are better served by parents and schools.

But did they not use this game as a platform of education regarding gender issues?
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member

It's a video game.

Right, but it's hypocritical to not include dog houses because those are "abusive" yet to show hamsters being released in the wild.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited March 2018
    How on earth are dog houses abusive? My dog loves hers. Dogs like to sleep in dens. I mean, I don't keep her outside a lot and I have a fenced yard, but she'd be one unhappy dog without her own personal space to go to when the cats are being overbearing.

Then again, I got her a sweater a few months ago because I had her shaved down and it's pretty cold here. So that's another thing my dog hates -- sweaters. I think she considers that sweater far more cruel than her dog house.

Edit: And how are dog houses abusive yet caging a rodent not?
    Felicity wrote: »
    How on earth are dog houses abusive? My dog loves hers. Dogs like to sleep in dens. I mean, I don't keep her outside a lot and I have a fenced yard, but she'd be one unhappy dog without her own personal space to go to when the cats are being overbearing.

Then again, I got her a sweater a few months ago because I had her shaved down and it's pretty cold here. So that's another thing my dog hates -- sweaters. I think she considers that sweater far more cruel than her dog house.

The doghouse as being absusive is basically quoting from the Cats and Dogs livestream. Guess who said that, as he was in this last livestream too.
  • elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    I didn't use pet clothes too often but...after the stream I'm super excited to get some matching moments going! I have plans for that cowboy hat~
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Some more two cents from me: If they are going to make "matching options" maybe they should focus on making some of the actual stuff matching first. It is nearly impossible to find floor tiles & wallpapers that are matching colors nicely, and all the furniture are just different shades also. There is currently no way to pick for example a certain wood color and have that consistently in your sim's house. You would end up with 10 different shades that are all just 'off'. But that is also a sideline from this original topic....
    edited March 2018
    fullspiral wrote: »

It's a video game.

But did they not use this game as a platform of education regarding gender issues?
    The ability to create a transgendered sim is about as educational in that regard as pet care in Cats and Dogs. While its inclusion may or may not anger one personally it is in no way 'educational'. It is as though The Sims is, in fact, not an educational service application.
    Post edited by OEII1001 on
  • lukeahalukeaha Posts: 360 Member
    I am not planning on dressing my animals. I do not approve it in real life, and it just feels wrong to even do it in a game.
    edited March 2018

It's a video game.

The ability to create a transgendered sim is about as educational in that regard as pet care in Cats and Dogs. While its inclusion may or may not anger one personally it is in no way 'educational'. It is as though The Sims is, in fact, not an educational service application.

But you can't deny their attempt to try to make people pretend/believe that there are more than two just two genders. Just like you can't deny their attempt to try to make people pretend/believe releasing rodents in the wild is ok.
  • poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member

It's a video game.

But you can't deny their attempt to try to make people pretend/believe that there are more than two just two genders. Just like you can't deny their attempt to try to make people pretend/believe releasing rodents in the wild is ok.

I will deny it. They offer people the ability to play a game with these features that you can use or not use as you see fit. You choose to make it into something it's not meant to be or should be. It's a game.
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam

It's a video game.

I absolutely can and do deny both, as both are submitted without commentary. In opening up the kit to make all styles available to all sims builds there is no information offered. There is no tutorial about "you are making a transgendered sim", just as there is no tutorial about "you are making a female sim". Furthermore, the sim is treated exactly the same in the game world. All sims are potentially attracted to all other sims and every sim can be made to both impregnate and be impregnated. The Sims 4 is genderless, sexless, race-less game. None of that has any impact on the game whatsoever. There is zero social commentary.

Hamsters are the same. "Released" hamsters are not encountered, being shown in various states of well-being. "Release to the wild" is simply "despawn" without breaking the fourth wall. No commentary is offered.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    I know of no one irl that dresses their animals in the ridiculous cutesy outfits.

Spend a couple of minutes searching the internet and you'll find plenty. I, personally, wouldn't dress up my own pets but the game's development isn't limited to one person's experiences or preferences.

It's a video game. You seem to be taking this game very seriously and personally. The key part of the name is video "game".
    The doghouse as being absusive is basically quoting from the Cats and Dogs livestream. Guess who said that, as he was in this last livestream too.
    Right, but it's hypocritical to not include dog houses because those are "abusive" yet to show hamsters being released in the wild.

That's an attempt to mislead people to support your personal viewpoints. The comment about dog houses in the live stream was an obvious joke....and, no, that comment was NOT by anyone that was in the last livestream....it was by the head of the EP team and he wasn't in the last livestream and doesn't work on SPs. Also, the joking comment was followed up with stated reasons why they skipped doghouses - they are an outdated concept, they served no real purpose in past games except pet woohoo and they wanted to devote resources elsewhere, with the pet doors people have the ability to build their own pet house if they really want one, and some of the bigger dogs would have led to ridiculously oversized dog houses. Go back and watch the livestream at around 1 hour, 2 minutes into it if you need a refresher on what was actually said. Everyone is free to agree or disagree with their reasoning but trying to claim that they didn't include dog houses because they are supposedly "abusive" is just flat out misleading....and misleading people like results in this:
    Felicity wrote: »

They aren't....see above.

• TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    after having a look at what the new pet clothing actually is, I dont want em :D
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited March 2018

It's a video game.

I can deny this quite easily. No matter what I believe in the whole matter (not going there), there are people out there who do believe in a non-binary gender spectrum and that they fall on it. There's now an option for people who want to play in ways that they feel represent them that hasn't been there before. It's completely overlook-able.

Since it isn't in anyone's face at all, there's absolutely no way it can be claimed that they're trying to make people believe in any particular way. It's not there to convert/teach anyone. It's there to allow people who want to make their own stories without having to use mods.
  • happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    I plan on using it. I'm gonna put my cat from my legacy family into a snazzy outfit!
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Silly novelty for pet's wearing clothes much like irl. I actually use to put a sweater on my little dog often. Not because it looked terribly cute on him, but he has pretty thin hair and got cold so I thought it was a good solution. :D

Disapointed there's no tutu honestly.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    I only use collars, but may dress them up for my Sims' weddings or parties