Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will this game be totally free?

I am so excited but...
Will this new game be totally free (no in app paying) or will we be doing what we did in the sims freeplay where we constantly have to pay to do something? I hope it is not like that :(
giphy_1.gif

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I don't believe they have announced whether or not the app itself will be free.

But, from what the trailer shows, it would seem that there are two currencies in the game. Simoleons and some kind of dollar currency. If I had to guess, Simoleons can be obtained freely through jobs, whereas the dollars have to be purchased. Either way, both can be purchased.

As for whether or not it will function like Freeplay, nobody knows quite yet. I've always disliked the way Freeplay functioned, in that you were stuck on one speed, and had to pay to advance. Given EA's history, I would not be surprised if it were similar, so do not get your hopes up..
  • K4siesK4sies Posts: 267 Member
    It looks like it wont. Have you seen the trailer/teaser/softlaunch trailer yet? You can see two currencys there. I guess one will be micropayment money - but I dont know if I'm right with that. Still hope now that they launch the mobile game that they dont forget about ts4 :/
  • captorablecaptorable Posts: 16 Member
    It's a mobile game, of course it won't. Lovely knowing they'd rather focus on making money through microtransactions than care about the game they currently have going.
    > @captorable said:
    > It's a mobile game, of course it won't. Lovely knowing they'd rather focus on making money through microtransactions than care about the game they currently have going.

Well but thats what EA does best i guess :/ (Not to badmouth EA. At the end of the road they are a company and need to make money) I hope it wont be as bad as during the Sim City times, when they released the App and kinda stopped supporting the game with bugfixes and stuff.
  • captorablecaptorable Posts: 16 Member
    > @Schwuschbingbang said:
    > Well but thats what EA does best i guess :/ (Not to badmouth EA. At the end of the road they are a company and need to make money) I hope it wont be as bad as during the Sim City times, when they released the App and kinda stopped supporting the game with bugfixes and stuff.

I wouldn't even mind if they worked on this alongside TS4, but this looks like as close to a port as you could get, and I'm really not looking forward to the pc game being limited even more because they need to keep less powerful mobile devices in mind. /:
    > @captorable said:
    >
    > I wouldn't even mind if they worked on this alongside TS4, but this looks like as close to a port as you could get, and I'm really not looking forward to the pc game being limited even more because they need to keep less powerful mobile devices in mind. /:
    >

I'm with you on that one. Then again - maybe its going a totally different route. As far as I know there are two different teams working on those games. Which could mean that everything will work out really great in the end and we dont have to be scared for the pc game to be limited. Nowadays everthing is possible. :D
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    grrr I would prefer to pay a upfront fee for one... If we do have micro transactions I would prefer the team to keep it on the minimum because it really spoiled the gameplay for me in the sims freeplay :| Eh we can only hope until we have some actual news...
    giphy_1.gif
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    grrr I would prefer to pay a upfront fee for one... If we do have micro transactions I would prefer the team to keep it on the minimum because it really spoiled the gameplay for me in the sims freeplay :| Eh we can only hope until we have some actual news...
    Agree with you on one of the reasons I got out of Freeplay real quick.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • FreyannFreyann Posts: 66 Member
    No they will pull every penny out of your soul
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,827 Member
    Freyann wrote: »

Only if you let them. :)
    So I have played the game and can say it is micro transactions and real time *sigh*
    giphy_1.gif
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member

I pulled out my financial holy water and poured it onto my wallet so it can be protected from "The Sims Mobile" so it should be fine on my part. :)
  • matheus_mar_1999matheus_mar_1999 Posts: 105 Member
    Unfortunately it's not totally free. It has microtransactions to buy Simoleons and SimCash, and the game is in real time, needing to pay to do the actions faster.
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member

I pulled out my financial holy water and poured it onto my wallet so it can be protected from "The Sims Mobile" so it should be fine on my part. :)

This game gets you though. You are in the middle of a day of work, doing hard work and stressed the time will end, you are almosty done doing your tasks when suddenly your sim's energy ends. Then they tell you you have to pay for a magic cupcake that restores needs with real money, or lose all that progress. They give 1 cupcake for free, not even gonna lie, It was so frustrating the first time that I used my one cupcake to finish work. Didn't even care. Now I'd rather lose progress and be reminded I have the full TS4 to play.
  • paradisebunny69paradisebunny69 Posts: 13 New Member
    It should be 2 versions: 1. free but with microtransactions 2. paid but without them
  • julinhagulia20julinhagulia20 Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="paradisebunny69;c-16245740"]It should be 2 versions: 1. free but with microtransactions 2. paid but without them [/quote]

Gotta agree. I’d certainly get the second one, because Freeplay sucked. Let’s hope it’s better this time!
  • CoreyblakeCoreyblake Posts: 118 Member
    No it will not be completely free. Developers work... and continue to work on making this game into what it is and what it can become. I personally have no problem supporting the developers for a game I enjoy. I do not have a major amount of income either. The Simpsons Tapped Out keeps me occupied. This game looks to do the same. You are furthering the type of content and maintenance this game will receive. Hope you enjoy the game!
    Coreyblake wrote: »
    No it will not be completely free. Developers work... and continue to work on making this game into what it is and what it can become. I personally have no problem supporting the developers for a game I enjoy. I do not have a major amount of income either. The Simpsons Tapped Out keeps me occupied. This game looks to do the same. You are furthering the type of content and maintenance this game will receive. Hope you enjoy the game!

I do not play this game anymore and have found out for myself. Please don't necro this old thread of mine from months ago - Thank you .
    giphy_1.gif
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited March 2018
    I disagree unless you see watching adds as enough for the game not to be completely free?

The guide on http://toucharcade.com/2018/03/06/the-sims-mobile-tips-cheats-hints-guide/ tells us how to play the game if we don’t want to use real money at all and all F2P games can be played this way. The reason is that EA gets paid some dollars from other companies every time their adds have been shown 1,000 times. So if only we watch add videos enough (maybe 3 times a day or more) then EA will likely get enough money to continue developing the game.

Beside that we will be offered extra content for extremely high prices. But buying that usually isn’t worth it unless you are so rich that the money just doesn’t matter to you.
    Post edited by Erpe on
    edited March 2018
    Erpe wrote: »
    I disagree unless you see watching adds as enough for the game not to be completely free?

The guide on http://toucharcade.com/2018/03/06/the-sims-mobile-tips-cheats-hints-guide/ tells us how to play the game if we don’t want to use real money at all and all F2P games can be played this way. The reason is that EA gets paid some dollars from other companies every time their adds have been shown 1,000 times. So if only we watch add videos enough (maybe 3 times a day or more) then EA will likely get enough money to continue developing the game.

Beside that we will be offered extra content for extremely high prices. But buying that usually isn’t worth it unless you are so rich that the money just doesn’t matter to you.

Not sure what you are disagreeing with. There's always going to be premium content also. It can be played either way. However getting premium content will be far fewer. And I'm far from rich :lol:
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited March 2018
    Thus far I'm enjoying the game and haven't felt any urge to put any real money into it. I an currently Level 10. If I continue to enjoy it I might throw a little bit to encourage continued production but thus far there's nothing I see that is really compelling me to do more then playing the slow going save up the various in-game currency to get what I want route.
    ~ ~ ~
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Erpe wrote: »

Not sure what you are disagreeing with. There's always going to be premium content also. It can be played either way. However getting premium content will be far fewer. And I'm far from rich :lol:
    I only disagreed with your statement that the game won’t be completely free. I play several free-to-play games and I usually don’t use money on any of them.

The problem about premium content is that there always still are gamers who think that they have to buy everything and therefore either stop playing such a game or use so much money on it that it will cost them maybe even more than TS4 with all packs will ever cost. This is a clear misunderstanding because extra offers in free-to-play games are never necessary to buy. They usually only speed the game up a little or changes its look a little and for so high prices that only a tiny percent of the fans ever buy it.

In the Sims mobile the only thing that is important to buy for simscash seems to be extra slots in the house to expand the maximal number of inhabitants. But it also seems quite possible just to save that premium simscash up without having to buy it. So people should just do that and not spend it on other things before they are sure that they won’t need it for such an important thing.

Besides that my point was that most gamers don’t realize at all how much money the game companies get for showing us short add videos from other companies although almost everybody already knows that TV stations offen are financed completely by showing adds. Such advertisings get more money to both TV stations and game companies than most people ever dream about!
    Sure, play however your play style fits. Your right, it is completely free to play. However there are paywalls in front of better content. And it could take upward to a month/months before getting one nice premium new piece. There is a good portion coming right now from the quest book. But the initial game start with premium currency nearly freeflowing only last for so long.
    And with that this thread is old and dismissed.