Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who actually USES pet clothing?

Comments

• tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    I can understand pet beds, but why the fuss over pet bowls? I thought the ones that came with C&D were good enough for my pets.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    tobumon wrote: »
    I can understand pet beds, but why the fuss over pet bowls? I thought the ones that came with C&D were good enough for my pets.

Oh they're fine ! I was just expecting a tiny bit more, maybe a plain stainless steel one, instead of the fall/winter 2017/2018 collection.

I'm bitter don't mind me.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Who uses that wall speaker from Backyard Stuff? Who uses that stove and refrigerator combo from Cool Kitchen Stuff? Who uses that rich guy dress robe from Vintage Glamour Stuff?

People use what they like. They're stuff packs, I buy them for 'stuff' - CAS and build items. The "gameplay" item isn't ever really a factor. I think I've used the ball pit once. I've never had my sims play a game of Voidcritters. I've never even placed a water slide. However, the pet clothes are goofy and fun, and they aren't real pets; they're polygons. I will probably use the new outfits too.

This would make sense as a comparison if EA gave us a dozen different reskinned ball pits to begin with, and a dozen more in a new pack.
    The fact that pet clothing exists is not the issue, that we're getting such a tremendous amount more of it is. Especially when we're still lacking in basic pet care items.
    1 pet bed/size, 2 food bowls, unlimited pet clothing, yup the maths are solid.

Oh no wait, we're getting another pet bed & bowl in the pack. Much more balanced now.
    You act as if this is radically different than previous Stuff Packs in terms of reskinned objects or outfits.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited March 2018
    I only use the collars. In RL only a coat in the winter to let the dog out. It can be very cold here.
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I dress my real life dog. Primarily for warmth on colder days but she did wear a Halloween costume.
  • AirakaleAirakale Posts: 97 Member
    tobumon wrote: »

IMO they are all too modern and too meddle-class with that colorful, plastic look lol. I really want some high-end luxurious pet stuffs that would fit nicely into vintage manors like Straud Manor and Goth’s House.

• poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i do. and i do irl too, my chihuahua gets cold and she has some raincoats for the rain. as long as it isn't an itchy fabric, movement restricting, or covering her head/paws she doesn't care. i imagine the pixel dogs in my game are also not bothered.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't think it's cruel - good pet clothes are generally designed so that they're no more uncomfortable than a pet harness. But I think some clothes are really silly and it should be done on special occasions. Like short-hairs when it's cold. Or if you want to have a photoshoot for an hour or two, sure. But 24/7? Dressing pets as food? And some clothes might be uncomfortable to put on. Caps and hats and button-ups? Sure. Sweaters? Got to be more careful.

Hey, EA, you own Starwars game, raight?

at-at-dog-star-wars-costume.jpg

It surprised me that when LGR reviewed the pack, he didn't have his pet dressed like a hot dog next to Duke dressed as one, which was probably when I started thinking about his consistency.
    Post edited by Loanet on
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    i do. and i do irl too, my chihuahua gets cold and she has some raincoats for the rain. as long as it isn't an itchy fabric, movement restricting, or covering her head/paws she doesn't care. i imagine the pixel dogs in my game are also not bothered.
    Sure, I have a pair of goggles for my pup in the event of dust storms, just like I have a pair for myself. It stinks getting sand in your eyes. But other than that I wouldn't put an ouftit on her, regardless of how cute it looks. As I said before, digital characters are a different matter.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited March 2018
    I know of no one irl that dresses their animals in the ridiculous cutesy outfits. I know some that have special coats for short haired animals to be out in our winter weather or to help stressed/previously abused birds be warm while their feathers take months to years to regrow. I saw the many of the outfits in the game as abusive.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I don’t have C&D but still would like to leave my opinion about this: I totally fail to see the charm of the pet suits and I even find them sort of abusive. And yes, I know it’s all pixels and we shouldn’t take this game too seriously, but I just can’t help that’s how I feel about it. Probably because on one hand they behave realistic and on the other hand are treated like picture book characters. I can live with realistic pets and I can live with animals wearing clothes in children’s books, but the combination is where things go wrong for me. I think it’s tasteless, sorry (to those who love it in their game).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,853 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't use the pet costumes but I love the pet outfits. So cute. <3 I don't dress my dog in clothing except for a thunder coat designed to calm her during thunderstorms, fireworks displays, etc. I don't have a problem with pet clothing in a game where males are impregnated by aliens, cow plants can eat sims, and sims are routinely tortured and killed.
    I don't use the pet costumes but I love the pet outfits. So cute. <3 I don't dress my dog in clothing except for a thunder coat designed to calm her during thunderstorms, fireworks displays, etc. I don't have a problem with pet clothing in a game where males are impregnated by aliens, cow plants can eat sims, and sims are routinely tortured and murdered.
    That's what I found strange about the whole outfit outrage. It's cool that you can feed your imaginary neighbor to your imaginary plant. It's cool that you can drain your imaginary neighbor of his imaginary blood and leave him laying comatose on the imaginary sidewalk. But dressing your imaginary dog like an imaginary hotdog is a step too far.

We're getting off topic, but that's a strange attitude to hold.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    As for myself, I don't have the Cats and Dogs (but I hope to get it soon) but I'm certain that I'd use the pet clothing. This is probably gonna sound weird, and it's totally opposite to what some others have said in here, but I've never liked the look of an animal with nothing on it. They need a collar at the very least. I think the cat sweaters are super cute, so I feel I'd definitely put cats in sweaters. Dogs would have a collar. I'd probably also put bows on female pets just because.
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    I only use collars. I'd use sweaters or coats if we had seasons. I've got no interest in pet costumes though. It'd be the same if I had any pets irl.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,853 Member
    I don't use the pet costumes but I love the pet outfits. So cute. <3 I don't dress my dog in clothing except for a thunder coat designed to calm her during thunderstorms, fireworks displays, etc. I don't have a problem with pet clothing in a game where males are impregnated by aliens, cow plants can eat sims, and sims are routinely tortured and murdered.
    That's what I found strange about the whole outfit outrage. It's cool that you can feed your imaginary neighbor to your imaginary plant. It's cool that you can drain your imaginary neighbor of his imaginary blood and leave him laying comatose on the imaginary sidewalk. But dressing your imaginary dog like an imaginary hotdog is a step too far.

We're getting off topic, but that's a strange attitude to hold.

Haha. You quoted me before I changed murdered to killed. For some reason murdered sounded a bit too gruesome. Even for the Sims. :p
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I just think it is personal preference. It is something I wouldn't do in RL, unless it meets a certain condition. I see the game in the same way. It is something I would not do in RL, so I don't feel the need to use them in game. I know they are not real.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I like having the option to dress my sim's pets even if it's weird in real life. Then again I love supernaturals but I don't want to see them in real life.. :D
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    In real life? No.

In a virtual reality game? Yes. I like my fake pets to look adorable and silly.

From time to time......
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I think it's a stretch to call pet clothing abusive, especially IRL. If anything is "abusive" for Sims pets it is the brain numbing pill for hamsters.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited March 2018
    I think it's a stretch to call pet clothing abusive, especially IRL. If anything is "abusive" for Sims pets it is the brain numbing pill for hamsters.

It is not a stretch to call unnecessary cutesy costumes as I see fit. I only see those as pure abuse, in-game and irl. The mind- numbing pill is also not something I would see positively. Oh, and they also "released" the rodents to nature during stream which is irresponsible as well as abusive.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Who uses that wall speaker from Backyard Stuff? Who uses that stove and refrigerator combo from Cool Kitchen Stuff? Who uses that rich guy dress robe from Vintage Glamour Stuff?

People use what they like. They're stuff packs, I buy them for 'stuff' - CAS and build items. The "gameplay" item isn't ever really a factor. I think I've used the ball pit once. I've never had my sims play a game of Voidcritters. I've never even placed a water slide. However, the pet clothes are goofy and fun, and they aren't real pets; they're polygons. I will probably use the new outfits too.

What's wrong with the stove and fridge?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I try to use all of the stuff , from stuff packs, whenever I can.
    edited March 2018
    eek double post

It is not a stretch to call unnecessary cutesy costumes as I see fit. I only see those as pure abuse, in-game and irl. The mind- numbing pill is also not something I would see positively. Oh, and they also "released" the rodents to nature during stream which is irresponsible as well as abusive.

Yes, totally this! For once, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Do you know the various environmental implications this could have on the ecosystem? Invasive species happen in places they didn't exist before, primarily because pet owners think it's alright to release them out in the wild, thinking it will be a-ok. No, it won't! A great example of this is the problem in the Florida Everglades where boa constrictors run rampant because of owners who released their pet snakes into the swamp thinking it would be perfectly fine. If you think harming the environment is fine, well I have no words.

Also, think of the creature you released into the wild. Sure, some animals like boas clearly can make it out in the wild, but little rodents like that have higher probabilities to die in the wild. Domesticated animals factually do not survive in the wild as easily as their wild cousins can, because of generations of domestications that make them eventually reliant and dependent on captive care. If this were the real world, I'd feel very sorry for that poor hamster or reskinned hamster thing, having to brave the dangers of the wild in which they were not bred to survive in.