Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Graphics Issue

I Recently received a new PC, The new PC has an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti so i was expecting high quality graphics.
I had to make the graphics card recognizable and that worked but the only problem was the sims looked so low quality they look blurry and textures don't look good at all...

Anyone have any advice?
Simply Sims | Youtuber

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited March 2018
    Did you add the game file to Nvidia control panel and are you using vsync when you say recognized or did you only change the sgr files? You need to use vsync. This game has no fps limiter. Without vsync you may get screen tearing with your video card.

Are you on laptop or desktop? If on laptop I suggest going to your laptop manufacturer and updating all your drivers. If your on desktop, make sure your video card driver is updated http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Is your monitor 1080p resolution? The 1050 card should be running at 1080p resolution for this game. If you resolution is lower or higher than 1080p that could also cause issues
  • Emma0708000Emma0708000 Posts: 27 Member
    @phoebebebe13 Yes I've added the game file already to control panel and yes i have Vsync.
    The graphics card says found 1 matched 1 so i'm sure its recognized.

I'm on desktop already updated all drivers

yes 1080p :)

Simply Sims | Youtuber
    Have you checked your fps in game? fps on is the cheat after testingcheatsenabled true. Some have issues with vsync not working.

If that is not your issue, it sound like your video driver may have downloaded incorrectly.

Download the newest Nvidia driver, then disconnect your computer from wifi/internet

uninstall your current driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

install a new clean driver and then reconnect to wifi/internet
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    1 - What kind of fps rates are you getting in-game? To check, bring up the cheats console and type fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the displayed fps rate should never wander above the refresh rate of your monitor. Most are 60 Hz, so that would be 60 fps but some can run higher. Something might be interfering with vert sync if it's not locking things in. To switch the display off, cheats console again and fps off (enter).

2 - Kind of basic sorry, but are you certain that your graphics settings in Game Options are set mostly on the high end of things and that Advanced Rendering is on? These settings can get reset on us by things like driver updates.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    PS @igazor and I posted at the same time ;) Anytime you update your video drivers the launcher will reset itself to default
    @phoebebebe13 @igazor FPS is 60, I already did a fresh install of drivers <3
    Simply Sims | Youtuber
    My last question, if this is not it, I will call in chesterbigbird who is a build expert. Are you using the middle back of the computer hdmi to hook up your monitor to the computer? Have you tested your computer on another monitor or maybe a flat screen TV with an Hdmi cord?
    @phoebebebe13 its connected to the monitor with HDMI :)
    Simply Sims | Youtuber
    Your going to need @chesterbigbird at this point. She has windows 10 and igazor and I don't. I don't know if you could be having some windows 10 issue or a hardware issue should it not be a bad driver or bad monitor
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Just make sure your resolution in game and in windows is 1920x1080
    Also check your in game settings to make sure something did not revert to low.
    Also remove any cc/mods
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• LuckyCharmLuckyCharm Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with my graphics issue also.

I recently bought a new computer and installed The Sims 3 through Origin. The game loads fine (faster than it ever did on my old computer) and the graphics look great when it is day time in game or the in-game lighting is bright. The issue I'm having is when it is night time in-game or the lighting is dim, the colours and textures look blotchy and odd. So for worlds like Midnight Hollow which are dark and gloomy the graphics are terrible. I've tried taking a screenshot of the issue but when I view the picture everything looks perfectly fine. I've tested out a few different worlds and it's happening in all of them with any rooms/objects that are not in a well lit room.

This is my computer:
    Dell XPS 15 laptop
    7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ
    512GB SSD
    16GB Ram
    GTX 1050
    4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) display

I have tried everything I can think of and nothing is fixing the problem. V-Sync is on, I've checked in game and the fps is capped at 60. I have all expansions and stuff packs installed except for Into the Future.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)
    edited May 2018
    @LuckyCharm - I'm sure the real graphics experts will be along soon enough to add their advice. But TS3 was designed in 2008-09. As far as I know, it was never intended to be run on 4K HD and none of its worlds were designed for such. At resolutions that high, I am actually surprised that the worlds look nice enough in daylight, let alone at night. I would also expect the UI to be so small as to be difficult to work with. Is it possible to turn the resolution down, both of your desktop and your game, or have you already done that?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor - thank you for your reply. Yes I've tried turning the resolution down but it makes no difference to my graphics problem. I'll be disappointed if my issue is because of the 4K display. I didn't even consider this when looking for a new laptop, I was just trying to make sure all other specs would be able to run the game.
    I tried running the game in windowed mode and the graphics looked great, no blotchy or odd looking colours and textures. It seems as though the issue only occurs in full screen mode.
    edited May 2018
    LuckyCharm wrote: »
    I tried running the game in windowed mode and the graphics looked great, no blotchy or odd looking colours and textures. It seems as though the issue only occurs in full screen mode.

@LuckyCharm

as it would because this game is not designed to run in 4k. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. You need a higher end video card to game in 4k There is no desktop video card on the market that can game in 4k without having some issues. We advise people to get a laptop in 1080p resolution for the sims games. Even the sims 4 which is a newer game than TS3 has issues running in 4k.

4k is fine on a laptop for streaming a movie but not for gaming. if you want to run this game the way it should be run you need a 1080p laptop with a video card that can run 1080p.

putting your laptop in windowed mode takes stress off you video card and probably why the game runs better in windowed mode. I'm afraid that is all you can do with having a 4k laptop unless you return that laptop and get one with 1080p resolution if you want to play in full screen . your video card Nvidia 1050 can only handle gaming in 1080p and can not handle gaming in 4k. You need an Nvidia 1080 ti to game in 2k. Never mind 4k
    Would Windowed Borderless mode help here at all?
    http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/home
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    Would Windowed Borderless mode help here at all?
    http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/home

I don't know. The ui will still be too small. The ui is small on a laptop screen in 1080p , I can't imagine what it looks like in 4k windowed mode.
    I don't know. The ui will still be too small. The ui is small on a laptop screen in 1080p , I can't imagine what it looks like in 4k windowed mode.
    Yes, that's a good point. Some players don't seemed to be as stressed about the UI being too small. That would drive me crazy trying to hit just right buttons and read things on it as well. But I meant running at lower resolutions than 4k, in windowed mode, with the Boarderless app feature.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited May 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    Yes, that's a good point. Some players don't seemed to be as stressed about the UI being too small. That would drive me crazy trying to hit just right buttons and read things on it as well. But I meant running at lower resolutions than 4k, in windowed mode, with the Boarderless app feature.

This is why I hook up my laptop or tower to the Tv. I need a bigger screen. The game looks fine in 1080p. I can read it no problem on a larger screen. Even my laptop at 17" is small UI and i have to figure out where I am at by memory of the game in 1080p full screen
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I did lower the resolution in windowed mode so the UI is a decent size as it was crazy small in 4K. It hadn't been my intent to run the game in 4K anyway so I can live with the result I got. As long as I can run the game and the graphics look good I'm happy.
  • macnymacny Posts: 1 New Member
    I also have the same laptop and issues as @LuckyCharm. Difference is this never used to be a problem on this computer, but I haven't played TS3 in a while, booted it up again recently and now the colours and textures look terrible. I was wondering if a resolution to this problem had been found? I have pics but don't know how to attach them here.