Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adoption

Comments

• Options
    aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    edited August 2009
    I adopted a child once for an elderly couple who had no children and when the child arrived she had the most horrific nostrils i had ever seen, and that put me off ever adopting again.
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

• Options
    PresAlexPresAlex Posts: 184 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Tan and/or Fat.
    maybe EA is making a political statement about adoption?
  • Options
    zeppelin123zeppelin123 Posts: 864 Member
    edited August 2009
    When I have big families of sims, they often have an adopted child or two thrown in. I also have single parents and same-sex couples adopt. My Dad was adopted and I have future plans (after I finish my university and hopefully graduate school) to adopt a child.

In game, I will adopt children of all ages (no preference).
  • Options
    KavitaaKavitaa Posts: 40 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I do adopt, and, I think I'm the only one that doesn't get ugly children? My kids always look good, altough I had one fatty. I like it when you adopt as a white person and your kid is coloured, you can really see the kids adopted.

But, sometimes I adopt for a reason, If I want 2 families to be related, I make sure they both have children of the same age and diffrent genders so they can grow up and get married, something like that. It's lots of fun:)

-- I'm adopted myself, from India, and like zeppelin, I'm thinking of adoption in my future life
  • Options
    KitCattDGKitCattDG Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2018
    The kids I normally adopt are either black, which isn't a problem, but can be a bit annoying when the family is either slightly tan or white, they have ugly colored eyes and stuff, I mean whats EA doing here? they saying since they are black, ugly or fat they are put up for adoption or is this just a weird coincidence!
  • Options
    KakashijewlKakashijewl Posts: 39 Member
    I adopt every once in a while. I like how its a surprise to see what the sim looks like when the child grows up!
  • Options
    ARRenschARRensch Posts: 694 Member
    I often adopt. (Usually toddlers.) I like the idea of having no clue how things will go. I like to give my games a dose of uncertainty and often shake things up. Super pretty sims get a bit boring sometimes, so it's almost refreshing to see a sim with imperfections.

Sometimes MAJOR imperfections. But it's all in the fun of the game.
    Wearing a gas mask to flex on the coronavirus.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    The first time I successfully completed the surrounded by family LTW, it was with a single mother who adopted all five of her children as babies, who were all girls. I had another female sim who married as an adult, to a husband who was family oriented, who wished for 5 children. By the time she had three children, all girls, she was too old to have any more, so they adopted two boys, both at the child stage. The first son they adopted, who was younger than the second boy, is my favorite ever second generation male. I saved him to CAS and use him often. In fact, he is a resident, though under different names, of every town I populate myself. His most recent incarnation is as the husband in my current household. Other than those and a few other times, I have not adopted very often.
  • Options
    Missa_SissaMissa_Sissa Posts: 328 Member
    I usually have DNA related sim babies, but funnily enough, when my sim adopted her son he looked almost exactly like her, light blonde hair and all.
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    My very first sim in Sims 3 ended up marrying his male maid. I didn't have any mods back then so their first child was adopted. I thought she had boring genetics :D. A.k.a the "same face syndrome", she looked like the exact copy of many of the townies. So the couple then discovered the joys of same-sex pregnancy via mods and proceeded to have 4 more children, each which had way more character to them when it came to their appearance.

So yeah... I think I'd use the adoption more if I could diverse the pool somehow. I like sims who have some distinctive features (and that doesn't always mean pretty/handsome) but each time I have fooled around with the adoption to test it, it has basically been the same face over and over.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Never. Really never. I don't know why actually, I think about it sometimes but I never end up doing it. Maybe one day :)
  • Options
    I'm kind of surprise at how many are saying that when they adopt the children all look alike. The two sons I mentioned that my long-ago couple adopted didn't look like each other at all. In fact, the one that is my favorite resembled his sisters who weren't adopted.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Under what circum stances do you choose adoption over just using Try for Baby?

Also, what age do you normally adopt? Baby? Toddler? Child?

When I played without mods, adoption was the only means my couples had of having a child together, unless I made one from the start as part of the household. Once they were established in their careers, if they both popped a wish to marry, I'd have them marry. Then, if they both popped a wish to have a child together, they'd adopt one. Try For Baby is simply not available between men without mods.

I usually adopt toddlers. There's really nothing one can do with a baby but wait for it to age up and become more interesting. Toddlers can start to learn.

• Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    edited March 2018
    In my played households, I don't bother adopting unless they are same-sex couples, even then, sometimes I have one of them get pregnant/knock someone up and say it was a surrogate or artificial insemination.

Edit: Seriously? I can't use the correct term for male genetic material? That's like not being able to say mucus or saliva. It's a scientifically accurate term. It's not like I used filthy slang.
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    > @IreneSwift said:
    > I'm kind of surprise at how many are saying that when they adopt the children all look alike. The two sons I mentioned that my long-ago couple adopted didn't look like each other at all. In fact, the one that is my favorite resembled his sisters who weren't adopted.

Hmm, maybe I should try this again. I'm one of those people who seemed to always get adopted sims suffering from the "same face syndrome". Though granted, I only dabbled with it a couple of times and then came to that conclusion so I could have been just unlucky (or lucky from someone else's POV since I guess those kids were conventionally good looking).
    Since the Bridgeport I'm currently playing now has started to breed too many vampires, adopting could do some good. And yes, I can just cure them but still. Could be fun from a storytelling perspective to have a sim adopted by family of vampires and not get turned into one.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    Thrior wrote: »
    > @IreneSwift said:
    > I'm kind of surprise at how many are saying that when they adopt the children all look alike. The two sons I mentioned that my long-ago couple adopted didn't look like each other at all. In fact, the one that is my favorite resembled his sisters who weren't adopted.

Hmm, maybe I should try this again. I'm one of those people who seemed to always get adopted sims suffering from the "same face syndrome". Though granted, I only dabbled with it a couple of times and then came to that conclusion so I could have been just unlucky (or lucky from someone else's POV since I guess those kids were conventionally good looking).
    Since the Bridgeport I'm currently playing now has started to breed too many vampires, adopting could do some good. And yes, I can just cure them but still. Could be fun from a storytelling perspective to have a sim adopted by family of vampires and not get turned into one.
    Not entirely on topic I guess, but in case you are interested in mods at all with NRaas StoryProgression running instead of EA's, the local residents not already starting out as such can only be vampires, or other occults if the relevant EPs are in play, if there is a really good reason for them to be -- they must be born with the occult state inherited, immigrated in, otherwise spawned that way, or turned by way of in-game events or progression, not by sudden random conversions. My ongoing Bridgeport is pretty stable in that regard, actually it has too many fairies (I love that occult type but I mean too many as a percentage) for some reason but I used SP to put a cap on that so it should sort itself out eventually.

Thinking over the adopted sims I've had in my games, both actively played and otherwise, I can't really say that they have all looked similar to each other or have been zero-slider. SP's genetics might be playing a role on the adoption pools as well, though.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    ElanoreAlexandriaElanoreAlexandria Posts: 66 Member
    My most notable experience with adoption was before I'd installed NRaas StoryProgression. I was trying to manage the population of my town myself and I noticed that there were hardly any children. To fix that, I made an adult sim who had two dogs and had him adopt five children, boys and girls of all different ages. I found that household so endearing and always wanted to play with them, but I just threw them into my town. I always got so unreasonably excited whenever I saw any of those children around town. I don't have that household anymore and I wish I'd saved it somewhere.

With EA's progression, every time I turned around, there were three clones of that household running around town. I got NRaas Stroyprogression after that. Thank goodness.

I hope to adopt many times throughout my pseudo-legacy.
  • Options
    Missa_SissaMissa_Sissa Posts: 328 Member
    The baby hoy my sim adopted looked exactly like her, down to the blonde hair. She just had a baby girl with her bf but I think I'm gonna make her adopt again.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I might have a local adoption taking place with a pregnant newcomer to Storybrook giving her baby up for adoption to add a baby to the town.I can also have children removed by my playable social workers being adopted by elders who've had an empty nest as my children are only moved to another household if apprehended now instead of being deleted.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    @igazor Does NRaas Story Progression give varied genetics to adopted children too, or does the game itself actually do it? The two adopted brothers in that long ago game were after I started using SP.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    @igazor Does NRaas Story Progression give varied genetics to adopted children too, or does the game itself actually do it? The two adopted brothers in that long ago game were after I started using SP.
    I'm not sure actually, that's why I was being so vague about it in my response above. Technically immigrating Role Sims aren't subjected to SP's genetics rules either (unlike Service Sims which are a function of the SP Population module and the options it opens up) but many of us see that clearly they are. It may be an unintended feature or yes it could be game itself doing that but apparently not always or for every player.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Here are pictures of my adopted brothers as young adults. The one on the right is the one I use over and over again, in his current incarnation as the husband of the sim in my avatar photo.

R5IQDFo.jpg
  • Options
    I have a question about adoption. If you play with supernaturals enabled, is there a chance at all that an adopted sim could be a supernatural? I would love it if that could happen!
  • Options
    I have a question about adoption. If you play with supernaturals enabled, is there a chance at all that an adopted sim could be a supernatural? I would love it if that could happen!
    I don't think this happens by itself. But for those using mods, one can sneak in and add occult states to adopted kids by using MasterController. I've done that occasionally.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    I don't think this happens by itself. But for those using mods, one can sneak in and add occult states to adopted kids by using MasterController. I've done that occasionally.

Thanks! I'll have to try that sometime. :)