Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 My First Pet Stuff - A Stuff Pack filled with Fur

Comments

• TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    All I gotta say to EA is Cities: Skylines. EA lost a billion dollar title to a small development team. I'm excited to see what new competitor comes out of this. SimCity was ok, but Cities: Skylines was amazing and continues to be. I never would have thought a game could be everything I ever wanted and more.

Yup, better be shaking in your boots Maxis for that magic competition that hasn't come in the... 4 years since this game's been out? And the 18+years the series has been out? :D

Sim City has always had competiton, even before it was ever in any 'danger'. It's a totally different genre. The closest thing the Sims has had to any 'competition' in recent years was that hoax floating around awhile back a couple years ago or whatever it was. :p

But yeah, keep those dreams alive! ;) Maybe someday, 25-35 years after Sims 1 has released, we'll get something, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    they didn't even have the decency to include the pet rock lol....at least then they could have been like, hey look it's two different types of new pets!

I don't mind DLCs for DLCs if the first DLC was packed full of stuff. C&D was pretty bare bones even though the cats and dogs came out very nice.
  • GonedalfGonedalf Posts: 62 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Okay. I've made several comments already in a variety of threads about this pack, but I'm going to try to be as constructive as I can right now, out of respect for the moderators, and in a serious attempt to get my message out there to the company.

First, I'm going to start by saying that, up until now, I have been a supporter of Stuff packs. I feel that, for the most part, they have been very good at representing what they are: independent themes that don't always fit the flavor of the larger packs. They are easy to pass over if they do not suit an individual's personal preference, and are hardly missed when left out. They have always been an extra for the player to pick and choose what suits their own play style, and the price point is very fair for what they are. And according to statements from Maxis developers, Stuff packs contain the content that was voted out of the larger packs, and thus includes stuff that would not exist in game otherwise. So these packs have been a way of giving us those things back.

I can't say I've been as pleased with Expansion packs. For the majority, I have found them to be disappointingly thin and unsatisfying for long-term play. They have a tendency to have strength in one or two areas, but then prove to be stretched shallow in others. Considering that they take a year or more to develop and remain the highest priced of the packs, I find this worth questioning over and again. How is it that these packs in past games seemed teeming with content full of depth and creativity, stuffed to completion, but suddenly with Sims 4's reign, they fall a little flat, and in fact, are often overshadowed by the new $20 Game packs? It seems that something isn't flowing right, whether in the budget, time management, or staff size... maybe a bit of all three, I don't know. But it's noticeable, and it seems to me that some kind of measures should be taken to correct it.

When Cats and Dogs was released just four months ago, players took note of how few objects there were included in the pack. We keep getting told that there are budget restrictions, deadlines, etc., and that some things get left out in favor of new things. And while I can accept this excuse to a point, the elimination of key objects for Cats and Dogs seemed like a terrible oversight. If we were getting one single expansion pack focused on only Cats and Dogs, then shouldn't it include complete sets for the items required to cater to those pets' needs? Shouldn't it have a larger variety of items, since we were only given those two animals? After all, we sacrificed a plethora of small pets (and some say horses too) for the veterinarian career, so shouldn't we still have received a full catalog of cat- and dog-friendly items to fulfill the theme? That would have been fair. Instead, the pack was cut short, and a paltry selection was supplied to us, accompanied with the assurance that these would be the best cats and dogs we'd ever seen because the pack chose to focus on only them. People were bummed out, but we grudgingly accepted what we had and moved on.

Fast forward to this week, and suddenly there's a pet-themed Stuff pack with a whole bunch of Cats and Dogs items. Not even brand new designs, but practically recolors of the same things we already have. And not only that, but pieces of furniture that actually match what we were given in the Cats and Dogs pack. But that's not all...let's pile on a selection of new pet clothes and Cat and Dog decor. Let's be frank about this - more than half of this pack is specifically Cat and Dog themed, and it's been jammed under the guise of a "small pets pack".

Which brings me to the "small pets" issue. Pets, plural? I don't think so. This is clearly one pet type with four skins, that all behave the same way. They are tied to their cage, just like the infants to the cradles, which makes their gameplay limited. One new pet type, and then a few new pieces of Sim clothing and hair.

The first problem, as I see it, is that any Cats and Dogs related content should have been in that expansion pack. We were assured that we would get more out of the pack for those two animals for the very reason that we weren't going to be getting any other pets with them. That assurance turned out to be false, and just a few months later we are being offered some of those missing items with another $10 fee slapped to them. How can the players possibly not feel betrayed by this?

The second major problem that I see, is this single new pet being offered. Where are the rest? Why was there a survey a year ago asking if players would like an entire pack dedicated to small pets? To me, this speaks loudly of EA's intentions to split up each pet type into a series of "pet" stuff packs, continuing to offer more missing content for Cats and Dogs along the way instead of dedicating to a complete small pets theme, and pushing pressure onto the player to buy the expansion in order to be able to use all of the content. In the end, for the player to have the whole collection of pets, we'll have paid the price of at least two expansion packs. No. No, no, NO. This. is. WRONG.

So what would my solution be? Well, this is a little hard, considering I don't know what's on the brink of development, but I can say that I think all of the Cat and Dog content, at the very least, anything that requires Cats and Dogs, should be patched to us for free. Then, maybe take the rest, charge $4.99 for it, and never speak of this monstrosity again. And consider working on that small pets pack for us but make frakking sure that it's cohesive, extensive, and worth the money you charge us. Give us reptiles, a variety of birds, ferrets, rabbits, chinchillas, spiders, and exotics, like flying squirrels. Give us creatures that run around the house, jump from Sim to Sim, or do tricks. Give us a reason to forget this pack ever happened.

In closing, I will say that I'm not entirely against addons for expansions. I'm really not. I would love to see Aliens extended upon, and Servos return with them. Honestly, I can think of a few things that would be fun to expand. But in this case, the company went against its word and the wound was still raw. We were promised the best Cats and Dogs in exchange for the sacrifice of other pets, and part of that promise should absolutely have included everything we needed for those cats and dogs. We should not be paying outright for that missing content.

This is exactly how I feel about it too.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2018
    Okay. I've made several comments already in a variety of threads about this pack, but I'm going to try to be as constructive as I can right now, out of respect for the moderators, and in a serious attempt to get my message out there to the company.

First, I'm going to start by saying that, up until now, I have been a supporter of Stuff packs. I feel that, for the most part, they have been very good at representing what they are: independent themes that don't always fit the flavor of the larger packs. They are easy to pass over if they do not suit an individual's personal preference, and are hardly missed when left out. They have always been an extra for the player to pick and choose what suits their own play style, and the price point is very fair for what they are. And according to statements from Maxis developers, Stuff packs contain the content that was voted out of the larger packs, and thus includes stuff that would not exist in game otherwise. So these packs have been a way of giving us those things back.

I can't say I've been as pleased with Expansion packs. For the majority, I have found them to be disappointingly thin and unsatisfying for long-term play. They have a tendency to have strength in one or two areas, but then prove to be stretched shallow in others. Considering that they take a year or more to develop and remain the highest priced of the packs, I find this worth questioning over and again. How is it that these packs in past games seemed teeming with content full of depth and creativity, stuffed to completion, but suddenly with Sims 4's reign, they fall a little flat, and in fact, are often overshadowed by the new $20 Game packs? It seems that something isn't flowing right, whether in the budget, time management, or staff size... maybe a bit of all three, I don't know. But it's noticeable, and it seems to me that some kind of measures should be taken to correct it.

When Cats and Dogs was released just four months ago, players took note of how few objects there were included in the pack. We keep getting told that there are budget restrictions, deadlines, etc., and that some things get left out in favor of new things. And while I can accept this excuse to a point, the elimination of key objects for Cats and Dogs seemed like a terrible oversight. If we were getting one single expansion pack focused on only Cats and Dogs, then shouldn't it include complete sets for the items required to cater to those pets' needs? Shouldn't it have a larger variety of items, since we were only given those two animals? After all, we sacrificed a plethora of small pets (and some say horses too) for the veterinarian career, so shouldn't we still have received a full catalog of cat- and dog-friendly items to fulfill the theme? That would have been fair. Instead, the pack was cut short, and a paltry selection was supplied to us, accompanied with the assurance that these would be the best cats and dogs we'd ever seen because the pack chose to focus on only them. People were bummed out, but we grudgingly accepted what we had and moved on.

Fast forward to this week, and suddenly there's a pet-themed Stuff pack with a whole bunch of Cats and Dogs items. Not even brand new designs, but practically recolors of the same things we already have. And not only that, but pieces of furniture that actually match what we were given in the Cats and Dogs pack. But that's not all...let's pile on a selection of new pet clothes and Cat and Dog decor. Let's be frank about this - more than half of this pack is specifically Cat and Dog themed, and it's been jammed under the guise of a "small pets pack".

Which brings me to the "small pets" issue. Pets, plural? I don't think so. This is clearly one pet type with four skins, that all behave the same way. They are tied to their cage, just like the infants to the cradles, which makes their gameplay limited. One new pet type, and then a few new pieces of Sim clothing and hair.

The first problem, as I see it, is that any Cats and Dogs related content should have been in that expansion pack. We were assured that we would get more out of the pack for those two animals for the very reason that we weren't going to be getting any other pets with them. That assurance turned out to be false, and just a few months later we are being offered some of those missing items with another $10 fee slapped to them. How can the players possibly not feel betrayed by this?

The second major problem that I see, is this single new pet being offered. Where are the rest? Why was there a survey a year ago asking if players would like an entire pack dedicated to small pets? To me, this speaks loudly of EA's intentions to split up each pet type into a series of "pet" stuff packs, continuing to offer more missing content for Cats and Dogs along the way instead of dedicating to a complete small pets theme, and pushing pressure onto the player to buy the expansion in order to be able to use all of the content. In the end, for the player to have the whole collection of pets, we'll have paid the price of at least two expansion packs. No. No, no, NO. This. is. WRONG.

So what would my solution be? Well, this is a little hard, considering I don't know what's on the brink of development, but I can say that I think all of the Cat and Dog content, at the very least, anything that requires Cats and Dogs, should be patched to us for free. Then, maybe take the rest, charge $4.99 for it, and never speak of this monstrosity again. And consider working on that small pets pack for us but make frakking sure that it's cohesive, extensive, and worth the money you charge us. Give us reptiles, a variety of birds, ferrets, rabbits, chinchillas, spiders, and exotics, like flying squirrels. Give us creatures that run around the house, jump from Sim to Sim, or do tricks. Give us a reason to forget this pack ever happened.

In closing, I will say that I'm not entirely against addons for expansions. I'm really not. I would love to see Aliens extended upon, and Servos return with them. Honestly, I can think of a few things that would be fun to expand. But in this case, the company went against its word and the wound was still raw. We were promised the best Cats and Dogs in exchange for the sacrifice of other pets, and part of that promise should absolutely have included everything we needed for those cats and dogs. We should not be paying outright for that missing content.

While at this time I don't share all the same sentiments, I actually want to thank you for expressing these ideas so calmly and clearly. (And for being able to convey this without using the terms "cash grab" or "money grab.") Your post was very well-written and helps me understand this particular point of view a lot better.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    All I gotta say to EA is Cities: Skylines. EA lost a billion dollar title to a small development team. I'm excited to see what new competitor comes out of this. SimCity was ok, but Cities: Skylines was amazing and continues to be. I never would have thought a game could be everything I ever wanted and more.

Yup, better be shaking in your boots Maxis for that magic competition that hasn't come in the... 4 years since this game's been out? And the 18+years the series has been out? :D

Sim City has always had competiton, even before it was ever in any 'danger'. It's a totally different genre. The closest thing the Sims has had to any 'competition' in recent years was that hoax floating around awhile back a couple years ago or whatever it was. :p

But yeah, keep those dreams alive! ;) Maybe someday, 25-35 years after Sims 1 has released, we'll get something, lol.

What were some competitive titles for SimCity? The earliest compatible game I can think of is Cities XL, which was released in 2009 at a time when there was no mainline SimCity game being developed. Are you really surprised that another developer swooped in when EA dropped SimCity 4? There was a 10 year window prime for the taking.

I think it is very naive to assume a game like The Sims can’t, or won’t have competition.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member

This is exactly what it is about and what EA should read if they want an explanation for the backlash (if they don't already know what they've done wrong)! Thank you for writing this!
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Let's see:

-I can build a pet supply shop (and yes, I'm aware you can't sell the little pets themselves, but I said pet supply, not pet shop).
    -I can add or modify waiting rooms in vet clinics with the cutsie pet furniture.
    -I can make kids rooms (or kids room stores) with that cutsie pet furniture.
    -I can make a crazy old cat lady and deck out her house with all kinds of pet stuff.
    -I can give that busy Sim who is always on the go a little pet that doesn't need a lot of care.
    -I can give a full family of 8 Sims pets that don't count on the household amount but can still be named and have relationships with.
    -I can appreciate that deviant players now have a new death through illness in the game, which I can immunize or immediately cure my own Sims from without hassle. (More of this would be great for both kinds of players.) They can even cause mini-plagues to their Sims if they want.
    -I can make restaurants themed with the pet furniture.
    -I can make a cool cylinder aquarium with the coffee table/fish tank and the MOO cheat.

That's what it means to me. :)

(The thread I wanted to post this in got merged with all the other nonsense going on, but hey, still worth posting.)

You're right. You can do all these things. But wouldn't it have been better if you didn't pay extra for those things? Because, oh I don't know, they should have been in the C&D expansion already? It's not the content that's in question here. It's the malicious intent of EA to get more out of an already existing DLC that felt like it needed more than. But then again I suppose you're one of those people who has no regard of your parent's money right?

The toddler stuff (even the kids stuff) I can understand. They didn't make an expansion for toddlers to be in the game, they had a free patch for that.

Oh good, bark, meet the wrong tree you're going up on! :p Hi!

First, it's not my parents money, it's mine. I'm an adult, with a steady 40 hour/week job. I can and will spend my leisure money where-ever I want. But thanks for assuming I'm a kid. (And what a way to approach a youngster at that too, geeze.)

Second, I don't see it the way you do. I'm neither entitled to everything on a silver platter, nor am I mad at EA/Maxis/The Tooth Fairy for taking my money, when they have no say in it either way. If I choose to buy the pack, it's my choice. They're not holding a gun to my head.

Third, I don't see conspiracies everywhere out to get me. I've assessed what's in the pack, from the various pets, to the illness and how to spread and treat it, to the various furnitures, the aquarium table, etc, and it's worth the money to me. It's a whole $10. I spend more than that on one meal, lol. And as you saw in my post you quoted and then took out of every context possible, I've got more than $10 worth of ideas from it already. A whole 2 or 3 Cats n Dogs outfits I wouldn't use in this pack or C&D doesn't bother me in the slightest.

What do you expect me to say? Hmm? "Oh wouldn't it have been better if we only bought the base game, and never had to buy anything else? Who needs dlc anyways, am I right?" :p By all means, don't buy it if it's not worth your money. It doesn't bother me either way if you do or not. But don't get on me for not jumping on the hysteria bandwagon. The Sims has always had a dlc model to expand its content and always will.

Maybe you have it easy up on that soapbox, but life's too short and crazy to get stressed over a completely optional add on for a game, lol. Even if I felt the same as you, and didn't want to get the pack, you know what I would do?

Not.
    Buy.
    It.

And that's it. I vote with my wallet, same as you n everyone else. Have a good one!

I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SimLarkSimLark Posts: 143 Member

100% agree with you. I have both SimCity and Cities: Skylines. Paradox really did a great job!
    I am not an English native speaker, so excuse my French :)
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

Beautifully put! I agree 100%
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    Not buying it. NOT saying any more its been said (that was a big read).

A competitor would a good thing for The Sims. Just like it's a good thing for other products. The Sims is now under a monopoly scenario where they're almost the only option for people who want a offline life simulator. They can do whatever they want (like this new pack) because hey, there's no options in the market!

It may be "fun" to you trying to ridiculize a eventual Sims' competitor, but in fact it would make Maxis to work harder, innovate and please their fans. Because if their competitor is doing a better job, players wouldn't buy The Sims.

This! It amazes me that people are so arrogant about the sims not having a competitor. I'm going to welcome it with open arms because somewhere EA/Maxis has lost its way and they need to find it again or they will be at risk of losing a huge percent of their consumers. Of course there will still be people buying the product that see no issue with it (to each their own) but as we all can see with the reactions to what has been done there will be more people stepping away.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2018

A competitor would a good thing for The Sims. Just like it's a good thing for other products. The Sims is now under a monopoly scenario where they're almost the only option for people who want a offline life simulator. They can do whatever they want (like this new pack) because hey, there's no options in the market!

It may be "fun" to you trying to ridiculize a eventual Sims' competitor, but in fact it would make Maxis to work harder, innovate and please their fans. Because if their competitor is doing a better job, players wouldn't buy The Sims.

This! It amazes me that people are so arrogant about the sims not having a competitor. I'm going to welcome it with open arms because somewhere EA/Maxis has lost its way and they need to find it again or they will be at risk of losing a huge percent of their consumers. Of course there will still be people buying the product that see no issue with it (to each their own) but as we all can see with the reactions to what has been done there will be more people stepping away.

Honestly I don't get it. I LOVE The Sims since 2000, I grown up with this game. But I'm not blind and to love a game doesn't mean you have to stan everything their producers do and trying to hide the reality that a competitor would actually be healthy. You can be a fan, a huge fan, but you can be critic too (and tbh I think people should be more critic in this community. Good thing this is opening people's eyes)
    Post edited by Fonxi121994 on
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.

Honestly I don't get it. I LOVE The Sims since 2000, I grown up with this game. But I'm not blind and to love a game doesn't mean you have stan everything their producers do and trying to hide the reality that a competitor would actually be healthy. You can be a fan, a huge fan, but you can be critic too (and tbh I think people should be more critic in this community. Good thing this is opening people's eyes)

I completely agree!
  • RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    edited March 2018
    {EA_Lanna: Quote removed}
    Completely agree with all of this. I'm not going to just stand there and accept being milked with content that gets lower and lower in quality over time, even if I am a Sims fan. I'm not a doormat for EA.

And exactly, there are far better games out there. That said though a lot of the AAA industry is doing to their games what EA is doing here to the Sims, but they're getting absolutely panned for it and rightly so. Nintendo on the other hand, is still trying to make their games the best they can be, resulting in 10/10 reviews and they're doing better financially than they've ever been. The new Zelda and Mario games really pushed the boat out in terms of what was possible for those franchises. This is what should be happening with the Sims and it proves it totally possible to do, it just requires the right mindset (aka not profit at all costs).
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    edited March 2018

I needed to see this said.

As a long time simmer, I also understand that our beloved sim game has been in new hands and will in fact, go through changes we have never seen before and will look and behave differently because of the exchange of hands and also the advancements in gaming and other things.

I really feel like with that being said, we should be seeing better, and not what we have been seeing now.

Again, as many have said, if you like it fine, buy it, okay, again we get it.
    but in discussing this and why so many are mad... many go BACKWARDS to get quality gaming content that we love and adore.
    We watch something we have loved for so many years, some of us, growing up with this game... turn into mediocre stuff... for no reason.

It's hard. People are mad. It's really understandable.
    This DLC to a DLC is not just one thing that made people mad...this is bricks that have turned into a castle of overwhelming frustration, disappointment, and in the end anger. It's like an untreated blister for some people.

My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited March 2018
    fullspiral wrote: »
    EA_Lanna wrote: »
    What are your critiques, thoughts and feelings on the content? Please let us know. :)
    [/i]

2017 was all about the family play. The last two SPs are about that too. I don't play house in my game.

It would be much appreciated if simmers who play other ways than family/generational/dollhouse, would start being considered again for more content like JA. Thanks.

The last pack that came out was for people who don’t play “dolls house.” We as family players had to wait for over two years to even get an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT that we existed, never mind getting content that was catered to us. One of the main aims of the Sims is to play dolls house and raise a family.
    Post edited by Simanite on
    edited March 2018

I needed to see this said.

As a long time simmer, I also understand that our beloved sim game has been in new hands and will in fact, go through changes we have never seen before and will look and behave differently because of the exchange of hands and also the advancements in gaming and other things.

I really feel like with that being said, we should be seeing better, and not what we have been seeing now.

Again, as many have said, if you like it fine, buy it, okay, again we get it.
    but in discussing this and why so many are mad... many go BACKWARDS to get quality gaming content that we love and adore.
    We watch something we have loved for so many years, some of us, growing up with this game... turn into mediocre stuff... for no reason.

It's hard. People are mad. It's really understandable.
    This DLC to a DLC is not just one thing that made people mad...this is bricks that have turned into a castle of overwhelming frustration, disappointment, and in the end anger. It's like an untreated blister for some people.

[/quote]

Completely agree. I think another good way of putting it is that this is the straw that broke the camel's back for most players. It seems like most people who are annoyed at this weren't all that happy with the Sims 4 anyway, they just weren't as vocal about it as others (including me lol, I've been vocal for a while as CL was the final straw for me) or they tried to like it and get on with it (as I tried to at first), but this is just too much.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    What are your critiques, thoughts and feelings on the content? Please let us know. :)
    [/i]

2017 was all about the family play. The last two SPs are about that too. I don't play house in my game.

It would be much appreciated if simmers who play other ways than family/generational/dollhouse, would start being considered again for more content like JA. Thanks.

The last pack that came out was for people who don’t play “dolls house.” We as family players had to wait for over two years to even get an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT that we existed, never mind getting content that was catered to us. The main aim of the Sims is to play dolls house and raise a family.
    There's no main way to play The Sims.

I do agree though that family content was very much needed since TS4 continued the series' pattern of making the first 3 EPs adult-based.
  • lazyjuniperlazyjuniper Posts: 65 Member
    I love sims and it's painful to see how they exploiting Sims games and fanbase for $$$

Real actions needed:
    mirta000 wrote: »
    - postpone the product to design extra pets themed items in order to replace the items that you're taking out
    - all cats and dogs related things - remove that from the stuff pack right now and release it as a free patch. All you did was make your customers feel like they've bought an incomplete product. Specifically when some furniture fits into specific item collections, making it very obvious that it was developed alongside and for cats and dogs.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    [/i]

The last pack that came out was for people who don’t play “dolls house.” We as family players had to wait for over two years to even get an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT that we existed, never mind getting content that was catered to us. The main aim of the Sims is to play dolls house and raise a family.

Really? You mean I've been doing it all wrong since The Sims came out? Since Sims 2, there was only one time I ever raised a kid to adult stage and moved them out. And that was in S3. For me, usually as soon as kids enter the equation I get bored and move on to another household. I haven't even played toddlers in S4 for more than a day.

The Sims has been about much more than family play and always has been.

[/i]

Actually the Sims is a "Life Simulator", which means absolutely anything to do with human life, which yes does include families but also everything else that's part of our lives.