Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Windows 10

Comments

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    The logs folder for me is empty. But yesterday it did say the audio and sound errors over and over.

I played without sound with CC first. It crashed.

Then I played without sound and without CC. air qorked perfectly fine and loaded effortlessly: no CC + Game Boster = heaven.

So yeah, it’s skmething to do with the custom content.... which is daunting. I have a lot haha. It stinks because when my game doesn’t crash it’s smooth sailing and visually pleasing. But alas haha. We shall figure this out! I have Delphy’s Download Organizer and it makes organizing downloads super easy. I guess I’ll take it piece by piece after correctly splitting my files up into correct folders in the application and feeding the folders into my downloads folder piece by piece.

Kinda sifting through it. I’m so curious as to what this file is haha. But at least we know it’s CC.

I can say that this nearly convinced me to go ahead and become a Sims 4 player.

It's so funny you should say that...I considered playing and even buying the stuff pack for TS4 last night. I've been so disheartened. I was like...NO! Snap out of it! You hate that game!

Well, I have my folder organized pretty well...everything is in folders based on install date. So I can pull the folders and insert them one by one until I get a crash. Then We can maybe go through what is in it and see if you have the same things.

I'll start with the mods folder and see how that goes. I've been reading it might be default replacements or I was thinking...it might be the community time sync mod since it crashes a lot when travelling. (that would make me so sad since that's like the biggest benefit to TS2 ever!)
  • octobersimmeroctobersimmer Posts: 40 Member
    @Mstybl95

You would find my folders to be quite disgusting. B) Haha.

You aren't into the Sims 4? I've tried it but nothing is like the Sims 2... The Sims 4 animations and minor details lack... which make it less, I don't know, real to me. There was so much detail in the Sims 2, they really did a good job.

Anyway I'm going to try and organize my folders. At least we KNOW its in downloads now .... I left my game on while I went to work (the sims in the house died... LOL should have recorded it.) Let me know what you find. Also, its probably not your community time mod. I don't have that. Its likely something we both have. But we shall see!
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    The logs folder for me is empty. But yesterday it did say the audio and sound errors over and over.

I played without sound with CC first. It crashed.

Then I played without sound and without CC. air qorked perfectly fine and loaded effortlessly: no CC + Game Boster = heaven.

So yeah, it’s skmething to do with the custom content.... which is daunting. I have a lot haha. It stinks because when my game doesn’t crash it’s smooth sailing and visually pleasing. But alas haha. We shall figure this out! I have Delphy’s Download Organizer and it makes organizing downloads super easy. I guess I’ll take it piece by piece after correctly splitting my files up into correct folders in the application and feeding the folders into my downloads folder piece by piece.

Kinda sifting through it. I’m so curious as to what this file is haha. But at least we know it’s CC.

I can say that this nearly convinced me to go ahead and become a Sims 4 player.

It's so funny you should say that...I considered playing and even buying the stuff pack for TS4 last night. I've been so disheartened. I was like...NO! Snap out of it! You hate that game!

Well, I have my folder organized pretty well...everything is in folders based on install date. So I can pull the folders and insert them one by one until I get a crash. Then We can maybe go through what is in it and see if you have the same things.

I'll start with the mods folder and see how that goes. I've been reading it might be default replacements or I was thinking...it might be the community time sync mod since it crashes a lot when travelling. (that would make me so sad since that's like the biggest benefit to TS2 ever!)

If you have the toddlers can travel mod by Rebecah, it is clashing with the community time mod. I know there were a couple of other mods that clashed with it as well, but I can't recall them at the moment.

@Mstybl95 :

So I've figured more out... I organized my downloads folder (which was a blessing in disguise) and played the game two different ways: everything gone but mods/hacks and then the reverse way. The only time it crashed was with the mods/hacks.. so now i'm exploring my modifications folder to figure out what it is. Should be interesting if we both have the same download.
    @JULES1111 - thanks for the tip. I don't think I have anything by Rebecah, but I'll be sure to look a little more thoroughly.

@octobersimmer - I'm glad you did it that way...I was on the verge of trying that myself, but had to leave to go out of town for the night. I'll be back tomorrow evening and hope we can go through our mods list and get it sorted out.
    edited March 2018
    I'm down to the last 9 folders. I feel like this is where the hard stuff comes in. I did have a crash as I was trying to travel to a community lot without having the mods folder in. So there is a file in there somewhere that isn't a mod that is also causing a crash when traveling. Oh boy...this is going to take forever!

t1c0A7j.png

ETA: So...I got down to my last 2 folders and I thought...great I made it...it hasn't crashed. All is well. Then it started crashing nonstop. So I removed the folder I had added and turned it on to play again. Clicked walk to community lot...it crashed. Removed the folder before that...it crashed again after clicking walk to community lot. I've probably done this now like 12 times, but I figured this part out. If someone is at work or school when I click walk to community lot, it crashes. If everyone is home, it doesn't crash.

So now I probably have to go back through everything again. And I can't even with this game...so I'm going to bed!
    Post edited by Mstybl95 on
    Gaah... okay so, I readded the folders and got the same issue as well... however, when I play different neighborhoods, all is well... even with all the downloads..... sigh.... this seems to be a Windows 10/UC issue, as many throughout the net forums are saying.
    Last folder...the mods folder, which I am assuming is where my game will crash and burn. I have been able to play without it crashing as long as I don't try to travel while other sims are at work or school. Seems easy enough to remember. I will take all the downloads out, though, and test whether it still crashes for the same reason. A big one was if I had more than one kid and for some reason one of them missed the school bus, walk to school would cause a crash. So...it's kind of a big deal, but I can obviously try to avoid it as much as possible.

Off to test the mods folder...*fingers crossed*
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I've been having a crashing issue in only one hood, which I believe is related to a corrupt lot or the neighborhood being considered too "large" for some reason in conjunction with one of my mods.

My advice is that instead of redoing your folder every time one hood crashes while others don't, check out your neighborhood with Mootilda's Hood Checker.

Note: for a neighborhood that crashes on loading, this won't help. For a neighborhood that crashes routinely when entering or saving lots, it might give you an idea what's up.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
    So. I’ve been playing plesantview and everything is perfect. No it’s BETTER. I even downloaded beautiful seasonal mountains in the back and a changing sky.

I think our hoods somehow were curropted ... and if this is the case, how?

Sucks Cus I may lose my custom neighborhood in the 6th gen
    I cleared up some sketchy CC...as in, I accidentally batch renamed them at one point and have no idea what they are anymore. I had the game running since my last post all the way until around 5:30. Not a single crash.

I thought my hood might be corrupted, but I started a new one and didn't play in it. It was crashing while I was still building...so I don't know. How would it get corrupted?

Either way...I think I got my game all figured out. I will try to go back to my old neighborhood and see if it crashes again. If it does, then it has to be my saved lots...and if it's those...lawd...I will cry myself to sleep for a week.
    It started crashing again..... :(
    Mine, too. Only when travelling to a community lot. I decided to pull the downloads folder and start again. This is getting ridiculous. :/

One thing, do you use "clean" neighborhoods? I haven't really, but after seeing how a neighborhood I hadn't even played in got corrupted, I decided to create clean hoods so that townies and all that extra data isn't generating. I hope this helps. I'm really at the end of my rope here.
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    Mine, too. Only when travelling to a community lot. I decided to pull the downloads folder and start again. This is getting ridiculous. :/

One thing, do you use "clean" neighborhoods? I haven't really, but after seeing how a neighborhood I hadn't even played in got corrupted, I decided to create clean hoods so that townies and all that extra data isn't generating. I hope this helps. I'm really at the end of my rope here.

You can also use the clean premade from MeetMe2TheRiver
    Thanks! That was a big help.
    So... three days and no crash in this new neighborhood. I'm hoping its the real deal, lol. All settings on as high as can be as usual. Game is running quickly. I even have a sky modification and large mountains that wrap around the neighborhood making it look like a free-roam type Sims 4 gameplay. No problems yet!
    edited March 2018
    Well, I've determined that New Edenia isn't borked - all my neighborhoods have a random crash on loading problem, so it's likely memory. Hopefully this means I can clear up the documents folder and be all good... not that this isn't an enormous undertaking. :)

I'm going to procrastinate actually doing anything about it in favor of making CC today, though. :) Time for signs!
    We both solved any memory issues and it still crashes unfortunately.
    I am so done with this game.

Seriously...just rebuilt my town's residential areas. Haven't had a single crash, which was happening before. So since I was having crashes when trying to travel to a community lot, I decided to test play and see what would happen...yeah, within 2 minutes of playing a family, before I could even travel, it crashed. I'm so done with this game. I tried with and without any cc. Nothing is working. It just keeps crashing.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    I had the same problem: Played last in november, everything was fine. Started playing again two weeks ago, no new mods, game started crashing. No pattern at all, sometimes it would crash in build mode, but more often in live mode (both home and residential lots), between 5 and 45 minutes into playing.

A freshly repaired game completely vanilla crashed even faster than a modded game. I looked up several suggested solutions at leefish and MTS. The one that finally worked for me was to delete the groups.cache but instead of allowing the game to regenerate it, download an empty one from here http://sugahsplace.forumotion.net/t1229-are-you-always-deleting-the-groups-cache-file and make it read-only.

The game ran fine yesterday and the day before, so I'm hopeful that it stays this way.
    I am sorry you guys have had crashing issues. I know you are not alone, many on MTS and Leefish have had problems with the game ever since a Windows 10 update. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Some are effected others are not.

I use read only group and accessory cashe files. My game runs fine, so far... I wonder if that may have something to do with it. Maybe the way information gets written to them got messed up some how?

@Mstybl95 do you run the game with Origin?
    @JULES1111 - I tried running it with a noCD, but that was when it was originally crashing. So now I started running it with origin open. What I did notice was that this is clearly a memory leak issue. When it crashed, my system was showing a 106% uptick in memory use stressing the system and ultimately crashing. I have tried everything to stop it, but I don't know what can be done or why it's happening.

@EnkiSchmidt - I will give the file a try. I hope it works. TS2 is my favorite game and all I want to do is play. *fingers crossed*
    I'm having similar crashing issues and I believe I can trace them back to a windows 10 update. Possibly there's a background service running that's taking up too much CPU, or it might be a graphics card update. I have yet to replicate it in a vanilla game, but if it's based on not having enough memory, I might not be able to.

... hecking windows, stop breaking your own computer!
    @JULES1111 - I tried running it with a noCD, but that was when it was originally crashing. So now I started running it with origin open. What I did notice was that this is clearly a memory leak issue. When it crashed, my system was showing a 106% uptick in memory use stressing the system and ultimately crashing. I have tried everything to stop it, but I don't know what can be done or why it's happening.

@EnkiSchmidt - I will give the file a try. I hope it works. TS2 is my favorite game and all I want to do is play. *fingers crossed*

That is odd. I wonder what could cause a game to have a memory leek, when it didn't have one before. Are you using the 4 GB patch to allow the game access to more memory? If not that might help. It has helped some people, I use it myself, just because. :D I never had any crashing, but what the heck, why not! It doesn't hurt.
    JULES1111 wrote: »

That is odd. I wonder what could cause a game to have a memory leek, when it didn't have one before. Are you using the 4 GB patch to allow the game access to more memory? If not that might help. It has helped some people, I use it myself, just because. :D I never had any crashing, but what the heck, why not! It doesn't hurt.

I will give that a try, too.

However, I did try that read-only groups.cache and a registry edit to stop Windows 10 from leaking memory...I really think that's a part of it. This is actually a common problem with Windows 10 (and a lot of games). I played for about an hour last night and it never crashed. I traveled to a community lot and it didn't crash. I can't say that this is the fix for it, but I'm glad I was able to play for more than a few minutes. I am going to keep testing over the next few days and see how it goes. I'm hopeful.

For anyone interested in the Windows 8/10 memory leak fix, here's a YouTube video on how to fix it. I can verify that my memory leak stopped after I did this:

https://youtu.be/7_yv-sZxub4