Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How realistic (and sad) is that?

There are several things that bothers me with Cats & Dogs. One of them is that:
AGOsnP3.png?1
How realistic is a stray hungry cat and a full food bowl (just steps away) not eating? Unless I make my place a cat hangout - which I do not want to - I cannot feed any stray. Apart of empathy which completely misses this part of the game, do you see it realistic? I mean, feeding a bowl of food to a stray animal should be possible.Taking a sick animal to the vet - a stray one - should be possible, cause we do it IRL. It seems very odd to me not being able to feed stray animals (treats do not count) or to take them to the vet. Just watching them crying for food or fainting in front of the house is something I cannot coop with. Somebody else sharing my thoughts?
I am not an English native speaker, so excuse my French :)

Comments

• AbyArashiAbyArashi Posts: 386 Member
    It's honestly so sad that they didn't think about this. Also other than just take them to the vet (because it's just cruel to take them to the vet and then leave them on the street again) maybe we could take them to the vet and then they would be put for adoption after the treatment!
    My Origin ID is AbyArashi
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I hated that too, I'm an animal rescuer in RL so I hated seeing sick and stray animals I couldn't help. I found a mod for no sick and dirty strays and put that in. Otherwise I end up feeling compelled to adopt them all. Just like RL. :D Strays still spawn with the mod but at least they are not constantly sick and hungry. I thought it was an oversight too that you can't feed or help them in any way.
  • TrixieLocaTrixieLoca Posts: 116 Member
    I completely agree but I had to make all my homes cat hangouts just so I can feed and look after all the strays I love them running through my house when my sims sleep. We foster cats in real life so I have to look after them in the sims. But I'd love it if they added the feature in to feed them without cat hangout lot trait and taking them to the vet! <3 I find the sims 4 cats and dogs so realistic I get so attached to them!
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I don't know about feeding them, but you can give them a wellness treat from the vet office to cure their sickness.
  • TrixieLocaTrixieLoca Posts: 116 Member
    @Kita5399 aw thank you!!!! Great to know
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    TrixieLoca wrote: »

No problem! I only discovered it myself last night :)
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    edited March 2018
    :cold_sweat: Uh... Let me know if any side effect happens. In my game I give my dogs Wellness Treat. Immediately they all got psychological trauma as side effect.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    There are several things that bothers me with Cats & Dogs. One of them is that:
    AGOsnP3.png?1
    How realistic is a stray hungry cat and a full food bowl (just steps away) not eating? Unless I make my place a cat hangout - which I do not want to - I cannot feed any stray. Apart of empathy which completely misses this part of the game, do you see it realistic? I mean, feeding a bowl of food to a stray animal should be possible.Taking a sick animal to the vet - a stray one - should be possible, cause we do it IRL. It seems very odd to me not being able to feed stray animals (treats do not count) or to take them to the vet. Just watching them crying for food or fainting in front of the house is something I cannot coop with. Somebody else sharing my thoughts?

It's kinda what I do in real life so yes I agree. You ought to see my back deck in the morning, cats, cats, and more cats.
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    Sick pets everywhere. It lowers property values and makes me feel sad for them.
    I knew people would see this as a problem at some point, but nobody listened.
  • RadicalMissyMRadicalMissyM Posts: 41 Member
    I kind of wanted the pets pack, but this makes me rethink that because my heart would break if I had to do that, even in a game.
  • MirithilRoseMirithilRose Posts: 12 New Member
    Agree! I got the cats and dogs EP last week and only after playing a few times I started to notice this. It really astonished me because I've never seen this happen in any sims game.

To me it feels like the pets are objects. In the households with pets I've played there is hardly any interaction from cats or dogs toward sims. Sims have to instigate the interactions most of the time. This is so unrealistic. IRL animals make contact with humans all the time, even if they aren't your own pet. There might be some exceptions, but often when I visit someone for the first time and they have a dog... which family member makes the first introduction? Right, the dog! :)
    Cats can be more aloof, but I have two of them and if they want attention, they will do anything to get it.

As far as the strays go, this is so unrealistic and very sad to see for any animal lover. Most of them are sick, stinky, hungry, tired or lonely. I don't know, but this is not my idea of fun and I installed a mod for it this weekend. But imo, EA should change it and we shouldn't have to rely on a mod to make it better.
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Another oversite, but are we really surprised?
    I agree its really sad. In sims 2 i always put a bowl out and filled it for the strays, they ate it too.
    But this team has no attention for detail. Im dissapointed but not surprised.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Weirder stories you know.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I was just about to post feedback about Cats & Dogs because it really was done badly. Most of the time I do not want my sims to even live in Brindleton Bay because there are soooooo many sick animals around - even the ones that have owners! And you do want to help them all but other than the wellness treat - not much you can do without the lot trait and then your sims home is overrun. So then the other thing that bothers me is like the opposite - when my sims live in any other town - there are no strays at all and nothing is set up for pets in any other world - like my current cat has the prowler trait but lives in Willow Creek - there is nothing there for my cat to prowl so the trait is wasted! I feel so bad for it - it goes from bush to bush like it was programmed to do looking for something but nothing is there and the poor thing looks so confused! Couldn't they have at least put one of the interactive pet bushes from Brindleton Bay in the buy/build catalog so you could at least put them on the lot for the cat? And dogs in other worlds are even worse because the walk paths for them end up taking 4 sim hours for a short walk! The good thing about a pet in another town is that they very rarely get sick. It is like everything is way over done in Brindleton Bay and nothing at all was done anywhere else - did they honestly think we would not want pets in other worlds/towns?
  • MirithilRoseMirithilRose Posts: 12 New Member
    > @surraaaaaa said:
    > Another oversite, but are we really surprised?
    > I agree its really sad. In sims 2 i always put a bowl out and filled it for the strays, they ate it too.
    > But this team has no attention for detail. Im dissapointed but not surprised.

Surprised may not be the right word, as far as I'm concerned. And I've felt disappointed before, but now I'm at the point where I kinda wanna throw up.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited March 2018
    It would be so cute if there would be stray pets coming to food bowls that stand OUTSIDE the house. :):love:
    a256aFi.gif
  • DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    Agreed. We have such a limited amount of lot traits that it is hard to choose even if you want to have stray animals visiting more often. If there are food bowls outside, stray animals should be able to access them, and the frequency of sick animals seems to be set a bit too high, imo. There should be more that we can do for strays short of adopting all of them - which is limited by pets taking up family spots, as well.
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • SimLarkSimLark Posts: 143 Member
    DaemonPaws wrote: »
    Agreed. We have such a limited amount of lot traits that it is hard to choose even if you want to have stray animals visiting more often. If there are food bowls outside, stray animals should be able to access them, and the frequency of sick animals seems to be set a bit too high, imo. There should be more that we can do for strays short of adopting all of them - which is limited by pets taking up family spots, as well.

Kind of fostering would work - which probably they meant by providing the cat/dog/hangout trait. But as far as I am concerned, I am not happy on how it works.
    I am not an English native speaker, so excuse my French :)
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    I make my place both a dog and cat hang out for a little while in empty worlds so it feels more alive, especially if my sim lives in the city. Any sick I help out and send them on their way or adopt to then give to neighbours which again helps any stray because they go to a nice home. Whenever I find anywhere with a dog bowl or cat bowl I fill it and hope the animal sees it and eats even if the game stops them.

I wish EA would unlock them more so anyone could place a bowl or something around and feed the local animals, even the ones just in a stroll and have a place, just to help out
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    edited March 2018
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    Couldn't they have at least put one of the interactive pet bushes from Brindleton Bay in the buy/build catalog so you could at least put them on the lot for the cat?

Any of the bushes (from Get Together, etc) will function like the Brindleton Bay bushes if you put one on the lot, fwiw. It does seem silly that the C&D bush wasn't added to build/buy, though.

• KatieSimKatieSim Posts: 71 Member
    I wish they had an option to have a rescue centre as a business. Stray cats and dogs could be caught and dropped off. Sims could come in and adopt the pets like buying objects in a normal retail store. I hate seeing sick strays around. I’ve started to delete any strays I see.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I decided to make a sim basically run a home based rescue center. So now and then I put the lot traits up.... the animals come. I put out food and make friends and adopt them. When my sim needs a break... I take the traits off, the strays that she didn't have time to friend leave the area eventually... You can always move the pets to a good family via managed worlds when you train them a little (or don't train them).This isn't in BB by the way... there are always strays there. None of them will starve to death though.
    I guess when people talk about this being an oversight it bothers me, because I think they took into account how many people like to play this time around, and included different ways to approach doing that. Not everyone wants strays everywhere in every type of story they chose to explore or play out. We have worlds with strays built in. We can have stray free worlds if we want. We have lot traits to bring strays in other areas (and the ability to take those traits off with the push of a button).
    I change traits on my lots sometimes daily sometimes depending on what I want my sim to accomplish. I do wish we had a few more lot trait slots though.

egTcBMc.png
  • holeofwonderholeofwonder Posts: 33 Member
    That's a downside to it, doesn't really make any sense lol.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    @Sjofn Thank you! I did not know those bushes would work for the pets - I just put them on on of my sim's lot and they do! But - as usual - it is either feast or famine with the sims 4 - now the cats are constantly in the bushes!
  • oldaccountnotworkingoldaccountnotworking Posts: 21 Member
    It does feel like an oversight, but we'll probably see it in an expensive unrelated game pack in a year or two, lul. Seriously though, who tests these things and couldn't see this, or if they did mention it, it was never included? Maybe there will be a mod for it.