Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CONFIRMED: Guinea Pig Disease in new Stuff Pack!!

Comments

• Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    Haha the guinea pig disease in Sims 1 was so brutal! I loved it.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hey everyone, I'm sure some of you have been following along as I've been busy replying to questions on twitter all day. I thought this would be a good spot to share more about that infamous disease that's making a return though, as I can get a bit more in-depth here :)

First off, yes... there's a dangerous, deadly, and quite contagious disease coming. This time, it's called Rabid Rodent Fever. If your Sim suffers through until - I must say - a somewhat gruesome death, there's even a fun twist to discover in the afterlife. Not to worry though, there's steps you can take to protect, or to cure your Sim. Here's how it works...

For the initial outbreak of the disease to occur, a Sim must be bitten by a rodent that's inside a dirty habitat. Once this happens, it's only a matter of time until the Sim begins to feel the effects...

Day 1
    - Your Sim may develop a bit of a nagging cough, or perhaps a headache. Surely it will blow over... *evil cackle* (It won't.) >:)

Day 2
    - The symptoms can't simply be brushed aside any longer. In addition to clearly showing signs of a nasty fever, your Sim's bladder and hygiene motives will decrease much faster than normal.

Day 3
    - In addition to the disease having fully set in, your Sim has now become dangerously contagious. Simply standing in the vicinity of a Sim in stage 3 of Rabid Rodent Fever is enough for other Sims to contract the sickness. The sick Sim will continue to show their symptoms, their bladder and hygiene will continue to be difficult to control, and in addition they'll need to run to the toilet to throw up from time to time. It's quite unpleasant for them.

Without treatment, after 72 hours of Rabid Rodent Fever, your Sim will die. Should they come back in the afterlife, you'll find that they've transformed into an oversized ghostly hamster that's foaming at the mouth. A fearsome sight indeed!

As grim as this all may sound, don't let it be a cause for concern. Sims who are afflicted with Rabid Rodent Fever must first research the disease on a computer, or visit a veterinarian to find out more about it. Armed with information, they can then order a serum from the computer, which will immediately cure them when drank. If this disease is something you want to avoid in your game completely, you can also order an inoculation for the disease from the computer, which will permanently safeguard your Sim from contracting the disease.

With all of that said, let me share a few additional details so that speculation doesn't run rampant. Here's some specifics about how it all works...
    • Every Sim has the potential to catch Rabid Rodent Fever, be they a member of your household, a played family for rotational players, or a NPC Sim.
    • Only Sims in the active household that you're currently playing will be able to die from Rabid Rodent Fever. Sims that you've played previously, or NPC Sims, will eventually cure themselves of the sickness.
    • Only Sims in your currently active household can spread the disease to other Sims.
    • While your Sims have 72 hours to live once they've caught Rabid Rodent Fever, this time will be paused when they're not actively loaded. For example, if you've left your Sim's mom sick at home with Rabid Rodent Fever while you're off gallivanting in the jungles of Selvadorada, you won't return to find that she's passed away while you were gone. Some may notice that this is a nod to how the disease worked in The Sims: Livin' Large. ;)
    • Rabid Rodent Fever can only be caught by Sims who are teens and older. Those darn kids with their strong immune systems... :#
    • Despite death resulting in a cursed ghost that returns to walk the earth as an over sized rabid hamster, there's still hope for these lost souls. Drinking the inoculation serum as this ghost will transform them back to looking like their normal (yet still ghostly) Sim selves again.

Anything else you want to know about Rabid Rodent Fever? Ask away!

Sort of a related question as such, did you know you were going to bring back the disease and that’s what made you choose which small pet to bring back? Or was it the other way around?

Also, was this more of a case that you knew you wanted to bring back the Guinea Pig from Livin Large, and had to find a way to incorporate it? Or was it simply because C&D didn’t come with small Pets?

Also, one last thing, was the Guinea Pig the only thing that’s recently inspired you from TS1, or has there been more of look into TS1 in general and what quirks that game had that could find its way back?

*cough* Genie *cough* Servo *cough* Scuba Tank

Sorry, I seem to be coughing up a storm here.

:p

It’s just I do think The Sims 1 has a lot of gameplay items that would feel rather odd or out of place in modern GPs and EPs but could work within the scope of a Stuff Pack.
  • Feet46Feet46 Posts: 230 Member
    Rabid Rodent Fever is kinda evil. >:)

That's perfect for my game! That was my number one way of getting rid of Sims I was tired of playing in The Sims 1. :D
  • TheNUBaliciousTheNUBalicious Posts: 113 Member
    If your rabid hamster ghost was to eat ambrosia would they just be a rabid hamster Sim then? Also, if they take the inoculation serum as a cure for being a rabid hamster ghost, does this make you then immune to future outbreaks or only get rid of the current situation? I don't think I want my Sims to be immune :D LOL I think it will be quite hilarious.

• leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    • Every Sim has the potential to catch Rabid Rodent Fever, be they a member of your household, a played family for rotational players, or a NPC Sim.
    • Only Sims in the active household that you're currently playing will be able to die from Rabid Rodent Fever. Sims that you've played previously, or NPC Sims, will eventually cure themselves of the sickness.
    • Only Sims in your currently active household can spread the disease to other Sims.
    • While your Sims have 72 hours to live once they've caught Rabid Rodent Fever, this time will be paused when they're not actively loaded. For example, if you've left your Sim's mom sick at home with Rabid Rodent Fever while you're off gallivanting in the jungles of Selvadorada, you won't return to find that she's passed away while you were gone. Some may notice that this is a nod to how the disease worked in The Sims: Livin' Large. ;)
    • Rabid Rodent Fever can only be caught by Sims who are teens and older. Those darn kids with their strong immune systems... :#
    • Despite death resulting in a cursed ghost that returns to walk the earth as an over sized rabid hamster, there's still hope for these lost souls. Drinking the inoculation serum as this ghost will transform them back to looking like their normal (yet still ghostly) Sim selves again.

Thanks ( ? )
    I was thinking just about it, as it could result in a ghost town
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    If this disease is something you want to avoid in your game completely, you can also order an inoculation for the disease from the computer, which will permanently safeguard your Sim from contracting the disease.
    Thank the Sim Lords!
  • PopcornHotsaucePopcornHotsauce Posts: 143 Member
    Day 1
    - Your Sim may develop a bit of a nagging cough, or perhaps a headache. Surely it will blow over... *evil cackle* (It won't.) >:)

This. Is. Amazing. And the disease so well thought out! I'm glad it won't wipe out the whole town. Kind of. (ha). Thank you, thank you! Please swear to never ever nerf it. SWEAR IT.

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    If your rabid hamster ghost was to eat ambrosia would they just be a rabid hamster Sim then? Also, if they take the inoculation serum as a cure for being a rabid hamster ghost, does this make you then immune to future outbreaks or only get rid of the current situation? I don't think I want my Sims to be immune :D LOL I think it will be quite hilarious.

Advances in modern Sim medicine!
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    Pets are immune to the disease?
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Is the hamster suit available to wear at parties or out for lunch?
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Hamster Night at bars? Ugh.

That's it. I'm making a kleptomaniac hamster club. And they are going to annoy the crap out of my town.

That's it. I'm making a kleptomaniac hamster club. And they are going to annoy the plum out of my town.

Literal nightmare fuel.

That's it. I'm making a kleptomaniac hamster club. And they are going to annoy the plum out of my town.

It could be like those rodents in those car adds that like loud music.

At least I actually liked those oversized rodents. I've had bad experiences taking care of hamsters as a kid. They don't live long enough.
    So, if I understand the "rules" of this new Rodent flu, a child can get bitten and pass the disease on to their family, who could all die leaving just the kid and the hamster to live happily ever after?

Ya'll are giving me ideas. I'm thinking my hamster club is going to hand out hamster cages to the families in town. The parents/teens who don't make sure the hamsters are taken care of will fall ill...and worse. Then the hamster club comes to collect the children like the pied piper. Annnnd I just managed to disturb myself. Okay, maybe no hamster club.
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    Thanks Graham. Here I was thinking that this pack was about 50% dependent on the C&D expansion pack, now it is clear that this pack is more like 90% dependent on the expansion pack. As you stated in your post, Rabid Rodent Fever requires the sim to visit the vet clinic, or are you planning on patching in the vet clinic portion of the C&D expansion in for free prior to the pack like you did with photography?

Ya'll are giving me ideas. I'm thinking my hamster club is going to hand out hamster cages to the families in town. The parents/teens who don't make sure the hamsters are taken care of will fall ill...and worse. Then the hamster club comes to collect the children like the pied piper. Annnnd I just managed to disturb myself. Okay, maybe no hamster club.

Kind of like an evil takeover of giant alien hamsters by giving out what appears to harmless pet hamsters in habitats (that's why, at night, they can rocket off to the mothership in the atmosphere above the worlds to report in) and eventually, cause all adult humans to die. Thus, WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,704 Member
    Thanks Graham. Here I was thinking that this pack was about 50% dependent on the C&D expansion pack, now it is clear that this pack is more like 90% dependent on the expansion pack. As you stated in your post, Rabid Rodent Fever requires the sim to visit the vet clinic, or are you planning on patching in the vet clinic portion of the C&D expansion in for free prior to the pack like you did with photography?

Sims who are afflicted with Rabid Rodent Fever must first research the disease on a computer, or visit a veterinarian

He said it could be done through the vet clinic or by research on the computer, and the cure can be purchased on the computer, so curing won't need the clinic.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Okay feeling a little better about this pack ... at least I have a plague to look forward too...
    egTcBMc.png

Kind of like an evil takeover of giant alien hamsters by giving out what appears to harmless pet hamsters in habitats (that's why, at night, they can rocket off to the mothership in the atmosphere above the worlds to report in) and eventually, cause all adult humans to die. Thus, WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!

OK, the hamster club is back on. They may end up being aliens, whose alien form is Hamster. Or vampires, because snarling Hamster dark form. Wait, are we even sure this is available as a costume yet? :D
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Those poor hamsters... there's gonna be some dirty cages in so many games.
    egTcBMc.png