Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could EA have done something other than coming out with My First Pet?

Comments

• YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    They should have hamsters in a separate stuff or game pack, preferably with other caged pets (such as birds, lizards, rabbits, etc.)
    my initial response was THEY SHOULD'VE PUT EVERYTHING IN THE EP.
    but, the EP was released 4 months ago, so that's out of the window.
    I think I would actually have LIKED a game pack with ALL the smaller animals, such as: rodents, fish you could feed, reptiles, birds...insects to take care of etc.
    but now that's out of the window too.
    I cant really begin to express my disappointment. a game pack would've been just fine.
    but having a tiny stuff pack (for 10 friggin euros), that has literally NOTHING other than a cool aquarium table?
    *middle finger emoji*

-Yarden.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited March 2018
    They should have hamsters in a separate stuff or game pack, preferably with other caged pets (such as birds, lizards, rabbits, etc.)
    I feel like the non-C&D stuff could have been in another Stuff pack with other pets and the extra C&D stuff could probably have been patched in. I don't care about them spending time on wall prints.

But I'm not sure about the clothes...
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Other (If so, why?)
    I'm completely at a loss as to what EA/Maxis are up to. I was hoping that it was going to be a free update as it is about time we got another large one after Toddlers. :(
  • 2tcn2tcn Posts: 58 Member
    edited March 2018
    Other (If so, why?)
    The hamster is the only semi-interesting element of this pack. The furniture is tacky, and the pet clothing is... pet clothing.

TS4 Stuff Packs are having an identity crisis. They are the TS4 equivalent of the Sims 3 Store sets, but they are marketed as Stuff Packs and treated as such.

I'd prefer they just dump the idea of stuff packs altogether and reintroduce the Sets. It would be excellent if they released the hamster/hamster deco for <$5 - less effort on the devs' part, great for those who would like a hamster in their game. Boom. Hamsters. $5. Done. Release a tacky furniture pack by itself later on if you must.
  • SyntheticFacadeSyntheticFacade Posts: 6 New Member
    edited March 2018
    > @2tcn said:
    > The hamster is the only semi-interesting element of this pack. The furniture is tacky, and the pet clothing is... pet clothing.

I second this sentiment. The pet clothing is horrible and I would never use that. The aquarium coffee table is cool, but that's the only item that doesn't look like a reprint of C&D items. The hamster would be a fun addition to my game, but I'm not paying $10 for a bunch of junk.

What they SHOULD have done is what many people have already stated: release a small pets pack with rodents, reptiles, rabbits, ferrets, and birds. I'd be willing to spend a LOT of money for a decent pet bird (Sims 3 was close, but even that missed the mark on pet parrots). As it stands: I love animals but I won't be buying this pack because I can't justify $10 on a pink buffalo that's park of my room decor and occasionally blasts off in a rocket ship.

{EA_Lanna: Removed inappropriate remark}
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • ToreshinboToreshinbo Posts: 561 Member
    This content should have been in the Cats & Dogs expansion pack to begin with for no additional charge. (If so, how/budget/why?)
    This is the first stuff packs I was more dissapointed with than excited for.
    Yay for small pets, the stuff everyone asked for. Buuutttt.....

It should've been either a free update to Cats&Dogs as maybe it wouldn't fit in the pack right away.
    OR it should've been a game pack with other small pets like reptiles, birds, fish, along with rodents with no additional expansion pack required.

I know SimGuruGraham has said you don't need to have Cats&Dogs, only for unlocking additional content.
    So I have to pay $50 for all content in the stuff pack? I'm sorry but that feels like a ripoff to me. I'm not THAT rich.
    I said a lot of times: ''Don't like it? Don't buy.'' but this time around, it's getting ridiculous.

Also, am i the only one who thinks we don't need like a million pet costumes? I don't want to dress my pets as a bee, or having a sandwich head... Collars will do fine for me.
    They could've used their resources to make a dog house, not ridiculous costumes...
    It's fine if you don't agree with me but that's just my take on it.
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    This content should have been in the Cats & Dogs expansion pack to begin with for no additional charge. (If so, how/budget/why?)
    So... ok. I haven’t read everything yet but I’m going to go back and do so after I reply.

I feel this is simply disgraceful. I defended their position on Cats and Dogs being the only pets because they really did seem like well developed, excellent little additions to the Sim family unit. I know there was speculation about a small pets pack to come out later but I though there was no way they would base a stuff pack on an expansion pack. Wow. I was wrong!

If they were going to bring out small pets separately for another $13 (I hate the new Canadian prices), just a few months later, they absolutely should have made a PETS expansion pack. Not for more money. For the price of a full, worthwhile expansion pack as they are listed today. I purchased Cats and Dogs for 50% off. If it had included small pets (which, by the way, why aren’t there more bird options in this appalling stuff pack?), that would have made it slightly more fleshed out. I would MAYBE have thought about paying full price with a few more options included.

If they couldn’t get it all done on time, they should have delayed the pets expansion. People would have complained but you’d have more people telling everyone to calm down because you don’t want them to rush, they are giving is QUALITY. This small pets pack proves they were absolutely rushing.

I’m really disappointed. But my computer is broken anyway so all I can do right now is feel grumpy. I won’t be playing any games at all until I can afford a new system!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    JimG72 wrote: »
    Since EA's sales team doesn't seem to know what it's doing, I've decided for the sake of my love of marketing to conduct a poll. Early results are in, and the community is not happy with the teaser trailer that dropped today.

50 votes so far is not "the community".....given the amount of people that play the game, it's a very, very small subset of the community.
    Simmers here respresent the community. You don’t need each and every member of a community to get a reliable result in a poll, as long as the poll’s placed in an environment with a broad representation of a community. I think the EA forums fit that description.

(as for my answer to this poll, how, budget, why, well, because the past proves it’s possible; I have a feeling Sims 4 has become more popular and fans are going to pay)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    They should have two versions of Cats & Dogs, the basic EP, and then the deluxe version for $10 more that includes the My First Pet content.
    Like really? Why do we need a pointless stuff pack? My First Pet Stuff? What the fuzz? What's the whole significance of this?
    Since I'm a new member, I can't make a new forum thread (yet), so I apologize if this is slightly off topic, but I just noticed this response by SimGuruGraham:

Graham Nardone
    "@SimGuruGraham
    9h9 hours ago
    More
    I worked on the birds in Sims 3, so they've got a soft spot for me as well. I don't know if we'll add them in the future, but there's a variety of ways they could find their way into the game - not just as a Stuff Pack."

(Sorry, I don't know how to embed tweets)

I hate to get my hopes up so soon after this massive disappointment, but perhaps this is a hint at a Small Pets GP or even an EP? Does anyone know if Graham gives out hints?
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Since I'm a new member, I can't make a new forum thread (yet), so I apologize if this is slightly off topic, but I just noticed this response by SimGuruGraham:

Graham Nardone
    "@SimGuruGraham
    9h9 hours ago
    More
    I worked on the birds in Sims 3, so they've got a soft spot for me as well. I don't know if we'll add them in the future, but there's a variety of ways they could find their way into the game - not just as a Stuff Pack."

(Sorry, I don't know how to embed tweets)

I hate to get my hopes up so soon after this massive disappointment, but perhaps this is a hint at a Small Pets GP or even an EP? Does anyone know if Graham gives out hints?

Ahem.

rodent-icon-400x400.png
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    I still don't get why suddenly in this iteration, the EPs have to be smaller than in previous Sims games, not to mention making one EP once a year, other than greedy intentions.

There's all this talk about budget, but what takes so much of their budget that they give us such limited content in EPs (GPs I'm fine with)? Is it because the engine is terrible (didn't think it could get worse than TS3's engine) and it takes them a really long time to just make things work? If so, it makes the claim of TS4 being 'a great foundation for things to come' a giant lie.

I really don't see what reason can it be other than greed... Of course I'm not accusing the SimGurus, but their higher ups at EA are to blame.

What I really don't understand is if they've had issue with game performance in the past, why not use one that will better work for them. After all the series is now 18 years old, one would think they'd have it figured out by now.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
    > @paradiseplanet said:
    > SyntheticFacade wrote: »
    >
    > Since I'm a new member, I can't make a new forum thread (yet), so I apologize if this is slightly off topic, but I just noticed this response by SimGuruGraham:
    >
    > Graham Nardone
    > "@SimGuruGraham
    > 9h9 hours ago
    > More
    > I worked on the birds in Sims 3, so they've got a soft spot for me as well. I don't know if we'll add them in the future, but there's a variety of ways they could find their way into the game - not just as a Stuff Pack."
    >
    > (Sorry, I don't know how to embed tweets)
    >
    > I hate to get my hopes up so soon after this massive disappointment, but perhaps this is a hint at a Small Pets GP or even an EP? Does anyone know if Graham gives out hints?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ahem.

Oh crap. That was Graham? (I only just started following their tweets.) So he could just be trolling. ;n;
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    This SP is utterly ridiculous. Never has the Sims been this low in it's franchise.

The Pets EP came with so little content they had to Stuff Pack it for extra money, unbelievable.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • BooDaBoo5BooDaBoo5 Posts: 253 Member
    edited March 2018
    Other (If so, why?)
    I think it may have been better to make a small animals game pack, with a good variety of little critters. Also they could have had interactions we've not had before, like letting hamsters roll around in a ball. That would have made the seperation from cats and dogs and the price point worth it to me. If they split each minor animal up into stuff packs, and they aren't any better than ones we've had in previous games, I will absolutely not buy them. That is a horrible business practice I refuse to support. Oops, I just saw the third option includes game pack, that's my vote lol
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    Other (If so, why?)
    I just think that they made toddlers an update so why couldn't this be an update too?
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I would be fine with the release of My First Pet Stuff if they had more pets and not just items from C&D. The trailer should not start with "Do you own Cats and Dogs?"
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    This is just flat out ridiculous. Not to mention nothing new as they've tone this before. I mean yea, toddlers themselves was free and all but you have to buy the Parenthood game pack and the Toddler stuff pack, if you really want to play them. I'm just disgusted with the whole concept of requiring a $40.00 expansion pack to play a $10.00 stuff pack. Or you know needing to buy a $20.00 game pack and a $10.00 stuff pack to better play a feature added with a free update. Don't get me wrong, even though I don;t really play with anything younger than a YA and never really have since TS1 but I'll still buy it. After all it will greatly add to my upcoming pet store build I have planned. Plus it will add to my new game file when Shinya starts having babies due to his Hypersexual disorder. I mean after all even though they don't ever live with him, he does take then out do stuff and they sleep on the floor in sleeping bags on the weekends. They really do take full advantage of their cash cow.

You're free to do anything you want but don't expect this to not happen again if you still purchase it.
  • TonTon Posts: 9 New Member
    This stuff pack should have been included with Cats & Dogs.. honestly think they should of just made it "Pets" instead but the reason behind them only calling the EP Cats & Dogs is because now they can get away with shelling out these smaller packs with a hamster in one and what's next parrots in another? And where is the ferrets? Chinchillas? lizards?Snakes?We are paying more for less content..very disapointed.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    It's clear to me that EA aren't giving them the budget to work on the content they want.
    OR it's just more expensive in TS4.

I reckon it's more expensive and that's simply because the devs developed an engine with things like multi-tasking, not realizing that means creating multiple animations for the same interaction. They also make animations for all ages, while previously some would be for kids and some for adults.

But we don't *need* these extra animations if they don't provide anything. Like Kids being included in the Hot Tub or Bowling, make sense. But Kids at the Spa, for example, makes less sense and Spa Day is a little "lite" because of it.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited March 2018
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    This SP is utterly ridiculous. Never has the Sims been this low in it's franchise.
    The Pets EP came with so little content they had to Stuff Pack it for extra money, unbelievable.

I wouldn't say never.
    https://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?scategoryId=13231&index=0&productId=OFB-SIM3:42773

$10 more expensive than a Sims 4 Game Pack, and yet has less stuff than this $10 stuff pack.

Not saying this stuff pack is *right* but The Sims 4 is in the clouds if we're talking about how low the franchise has gone before.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    how come you guys (the oldies) didn't start compliang when they got hot-tub, and butlers in stuff packs? Stuff that had been in EPS before?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    edited March 2018
    I would have rather paid $5 more for Cats & Dogs than see an EP Stuff Pack
    I tapped the wrong button anyways I would have rather paid $5 more for cats and dogs because it is smarter to pay a little more to get a few things amd hamsters than buying an entire pack. That stuff pack could had been another pack I think :confused:
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »

I wouldn't say never.
    https://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?scategoryId=13231&index=0&productId=OFB-SIM3:42773

$10 more expensive than a Sims 4 Game Pack, and yet has less stuff than this $10 stuff pack.

Not saying this stuff pack is *right* but The Sims 4 is in the clouds if we're talking about how low the franchise has gone before.
    They called that a set but you could pick out what you wanted, that’s the difference. Nobody forced you to buy everything. And besides, that was stuff, not actual animals. We got all the animals and pets in one EP. The Store was overpriced alright, but a simmer could perfectly live without it and miss nothing. When you don’t buy this pack, you won’t have small animals (and they know perfectly well people want those). Come to think of it, I just know one example of something scandalous like this happening before: the baby/toddler items they cleaverly attached to Aurora Skies. And for sure lots of people bought that world because they had been wanting those items (and asking for them) for years. This doesn’t mean ‘Sims 4 is in the clouds’ though. It just means they started trying tricks like that back then and the fact people bought it, paved the way. They’re refining it and seem to be exploring now if they can maybe start to make it a regular thing. People constantly seem to forget the Store was an on the side thing where SP’s for Sims 4 are almost a focus.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, definitely don't agree with this stuff pack. Like @Chazzzy, I also don't even think C&D was worth the full $40 price tag if I'm completely honest. The Vet career was incredibly bugged when I played it and therefore so frustrating that I quit when my Sim reached level 3 and never went back to it either (I actually kind of forgot it even existed). Other than that, it adds just that: cats and dogs. I absolutely don't see why they could not have added this stuff pack content with that... I mean, Get To Work had the whole business thing which imo is comparable to the vet career, and it had plenty of other gameplay stuff added that worked as well. And this stuff pack isn't even gameplay. The only thing I have to justify paying full price for this EP is Brindleton Bay... and that's just me trying to convince myself it was worth it.

Kind of surprised that there's so many Simmers that are SO angry and blah blah, but will still buy this stuff pack. I'd say take a stance, and for once don't buy whatever EA throws at you. Then, and only then, will you see any actual change. I mean, you can barely blame EA for getting more and more greedy when their content will be sold anyway. If I could draw a half-🐸🐸🐸🐸 picture of a cat I worked on for like two minutes and sell it to thousands of willing buyers for $10, I definitely would lol.
    This is just flat out ridiculous. Not to mention nothing new as they've tone this before. I mean yea, toddlers themselves was free and all but you have to buy the Parenthood game pack and the Toddler stuff pack, if you really want to play them. I'm just disgusted with the whole concept of requiring a $40.00 expansion pack to play a $10.00 stuff pack. Or you know needing to buy a $20.00 game pack and a $10.00 stuff pack to better play a feature added with a free update. Don't get me wrong, even though I don;t really play with anything younger than a YA and never really have since TS1 but I'll still buy it. After all it will greatly add to my upcoming pet store build I have planned. Plus it will add to my new game file when Shinya starts having babies due to his Hypersexual disorder. I mean after all even though they don't ever live with him, he does take then out do stuff and they sleep on the floor in sleeping bags on the weekends. They really do take full advantage of their cash cow.

Don't actually wholly agree with this, though. The TS4 toddlers are, in my opinion, by far the most in-depth toddlers this franchise has ever seen, and I don't really see how toddlers need Parenthood. I see how teens (especially) and children need Parenthood to be the least bit interesting, but toddlers... they were really interesting to me even before the pack. In fact, for me the actual Parenting aspect only gets really interesting once toddlers age up to children. For toddlers, the unique interactions they have, have been sufficient for me. Toddler Stuff adds much-needed hair styles and clothing, but I don't own it and I don't miss it, either. Sure, I don't like the fact that I barely have any hair styles to choose from, but that's it. I absolutely don't miss anything else that the Toddler Stuff Pack offers.

To me, this is the first time since I got into TS4 (which was in 2017, one of its better years) that I really, really don't agree with its business practices. It definitely makes me regret buying C&D for full price back in November, that's for sure. It's not even about the rodents - I don't actually care much about small animals at all. It's more about this feeling of being ripped off. That content was stripped from C&D only to be sold as an SP later... that's just disgusting to me.
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png