Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do with your elders?

Comments

• stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Let them pursue their interests (e.g. painting, music, writing, bar-hopping, etc.)
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @starguru I like your thinking! Your elders must be very happy :)

Thanks! I like to think so! :smile:
  • Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member
    Business as usual - age is just a number
    This actually depends on the story I want to tell and which sims game I'm playing. For example, in The Sims 2 elder are harder to take care of(I think some of their motives deplete faster) so I'll have them rest more, retire, and focus on things like painting and writing books. In The Sims 3, I would really not play them a lot unless the sim happened to be one of mine (I created). If I played one, they'd most likely be played like any of my other sims. In The Sims 4, so far I played them regularly like my other sims.
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    @Sonata13Singer I do remember it being harder to care for elders in TS2 but I also remember looking after them very well because that's the way I treat all my sims :)
    I've never tried TS4 and probably never will. Business as usual is a good response because it shows that at least you allow elders in your game as I know many don't play them at all.
  • Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @Sonata13Singer I do remember it being harder to care for elders in TS2 but I also remember looking after them very well because that's the way I treat all my sims :)
    I've never tried TS4 and probably never will. Business as usual is a good response because it shows that at least you allow elders in your game as I know many don't play them at all.

Yeah, I've seen some people say they kill off elders (not on this post, I haven't read all of the responses on this post).
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    Jordan and John's life bars are full so I watched them like a hawk all day and didn't relax until midnight as I have never had a sim die after midnight. Jordan shows he still has the moves :)
    25690874317_1b5bc7b433_o.jpg
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    In my game no body ever moves out, I always by the time anyone turns elder, i make sure there are three bedrooms, sometime I make a studio apt for them, but without a kitchen, because they eat with the family. I give them a bedroom and sitting room, with TV, books and any hobby they are interested in. They do still help around the house, Just part of the family, but with their own private area. they all live together and are happy. The most in the family are 6, Grandfather, Grandmother, Mother, Father, and son and wife. I do not have more then one child. I have done this through the A-Z Generation and then continuing over again with the Generation family. It is sad when the elders die after playing with them for so long. I have played this way since the sims 3 came out. I invented the A-Z Challenge way back then. I just can't get away from this family. I made the first Dexter family and love them. and started the A-Z challenge to see how far I could get. I made it through and it was a long time. almost until the sims 4 came out. Everyone went from birth to elder. I have tried the sims 4, but I have been back now with the sims 3 for awhile now. I love the sims 3. My Generation family is still the Dexter's with right now a teen living by himself. His name is Riley Dexter, his is the grandson of Bo Dexter who has now died and Riley and will carry the name for the next A-Z Generation when he marries.
    I do not play with premade sims or from the Gallery. If my sims need a wife or husband, I make the one l like and sometimes I will make 2 and see the one they choose to marry.
    @Evalen That sounds like an interesting way to play! I approve of the grandparents staying at home but I could never stop at one child! ;)
  • helleenlinahelleenlina Posts: 13 New Member
    Move them out (on their own, with other elders or other family members)
    I am not a big fan of the elder stage, so I just move them out to live with other family members.
    @helleenlina There is no right or wrong way of playing ;)
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    edited March 2018
    Keep them busy to keep them out of the way
    I feel bad and inhumane choosing this option but (in the world where my sims exist) everyone needs to make monetary contribution to the whole family so that the legacy is guaranteed to thrive on for many generations to come. :p

"Money (most of the time) makes the world go round" - Cabaret ;)

Edit: Shoot, I chose the wrong one. It's supposed to be keeping them working. Too bad I can't change my vote.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Naeco06Naeco06 Posts: 5 New Member
    come to think of it, I never actually play the Elder stage of my Sims.
    I just stockpile a few Young Again potions and start over at the conclusion of Adulthood.

my main family (and their children) are basically immortal.
    which is funny because I otherwise have Supernatural features turned off in my neighborhoods. no vampires or wolves but one peculiar family who never seems to age...
    @ChocoCub If your sims really need the money, then your choice makes sense. What would you do if your sims had enough money by the time your sims became elders?

@Naeco06 Welcome to the forum! :) Have you been playing long? In the beginning I found it very difficult to allow my sims to age and die. There's nothing wrong with immortality if you don't get sick of playing the same sims :)
    I had a very sad play session this morning as John's time ran out. His husband Jordan and son Beathan were there to witness his passing as were Beathan's husband, Sam and their children, Elspet and Fife. He lived a short but good life and will be sorely missed :'(
    26731429818_e8d7cd61ed_o.jpg
    40560450942_d901ec4fd6_o.jpg
    38792811690_d535c5f1d0_o.jpg
    38792792710_6d815f7d95_o.jpg
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @Mikezumi They look so sad in that last picture!
    @Simtown15 I am sure my face mirrored theirs :(
    @Mikezumi; That sounds like an interesting way to play! I approve of the grandparents staying at home but I could never stop at one child! ;)

I know it is nice to have more then one child, it makes for a lot of confusion for me. Sometims by the time the child comes along the grand parents have passed and you are back to mother, Father and child. That is why I like small towns as their is to much going on in larger ones and I can't semm to have fun while palying with my family, I know it sounds silly, but that is just me. I like to relax when I play and to many kids and large towns, causes me stress while I am playing. Maybe it is a control thing, can't control everyone in town and family if it is large :) LOL

Once while I was playing, I had my sims marry a townie. One day my sims ran into a elder landy and come to find out it was her mohter. She lived alone, so I had her move in with them. It just seemed the right thing to do, she was really neat, loved her grandson and did a lot of things together. She was an elder but fun to play with.

@Evalen I am controlling in some ways which is why I use mods so I can meddle in the lives of all my townies. Because I placed them there in the first place, the whole town are my "family". Having said that, I barely control my active sims, preferring to let them do their own thing once their waking wishes have been met and the household chores are done. I do insist on the family eating together and sleeping at a reasonable hour, but mostly they are on their own.
    That was nice of you to move in the elderly mother :)
    @Mikezumi Isn't it nice how we all have the same game and we all play so different. Everyone doing what makes them feel good. I love the sims 3 and all these years I have never gotten bored with them. It's all about having fun with them and doing your own thing. Like my Sims have never worked at a job, they do painting, writing, fishing, collecting ect. to make a living and my kids have never gone to school, because I love playing with them and letting them do things instead. I delete all schools in every town I play. Strange, yes, but I like it that way.
    @Evalen My sims also work from home as I don't see the point of sending them away for hours each day where I can't see them and I can't do the hands-on careers because I usually have too many sims in the house to concentrate only on one sim.
    Yes, this game is absolutely brilliant in that it doesn't have to be played in just one way :)
  • SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    Other (please specify below)
    Ehrm it depends a little on my mood. Sometimes they're money makers, sometimes I kill them dramatically for story effects, sometimes I still play with them and try to make them really happy. I've pulled so much crazy stuff... But they're not my regular adult sims. I somehow just connect with one Sim, usually around their child or teen years and I bail on the Sims that came before xD
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
    @SjappielovePaul Thanks for voting. Love your profile pic :)
  • SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    Thank you :) sadly they grew up to fight a lot, so I like how cute they still are in my avi :D
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
    Jordan may have lost his husband but not his reason for living. He has a new grandson to dote on :)
    38837303470_dfaa5f2d77_o.jpg
    40605728662_94813603e1_o.jpg
    Jordan has lived long enough to see his first great grandchild :)
    39942102684_2e6159028a_o.png
  • ARRenschARRensch Posts: 694 Member
    I kill mine.
    Wearing a gas mask to flex on the coronavirus.