Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IDK, Barbara? (We are bad at naming things) -- A United Reading Heptagon

Comments

• AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    LillyDoves wrote: »
    New discussion question! How does everyone choose the spouse or partner for their story? What do you take into consideration while trying to decide?
    Wellll.... When I was doing Starting Over, I actually used sims that were generated in game and had Kaitlin interact with them. I was still “doing gameplay” at that point. I really didn’t pay any attention to their traits and even today, I can’t tell you what they were. By the time Kaitlin was supposed to get pregnant I had two potential suitors, Reid and Leroy. I just liked Leroy better and felt like they had more of a real connection than she did with playboy Reid so I wanted them to get together. But by that time, the story had taken over and I was no longer playing the game, just illustrating my story. I was only using the challenge rules to provide drama.

So really, I think you are asking in game, what do you look for? Honestly, I can’t tell you for story purposes because in my current story, the spouse or partner is all in my head. And for New Beginnings, I already had the story mapped out and the spouses and characters all came from casting calls. I simply picked the ones that would fit the role I had in mind for them. I have never actually “played” TS4 and wrote a story based on gameplay. So I guess I really didn’t answer your question at all! :/

• LillyDovesLillyDoves Posts: 698 Member
    AudreyFld wrote: »
    New discussion question! How does everyone choose the spouse or partner for their story? What do you take into consideration while trying to decide?
    Wellll.... When I was doing Starting Over, I actually used sims that were generated in game and had Kaitlin interact with them. I was still “doing gameplay” at that point. I really didn’t pay any attention to their traits and even today, I can’t tell you what they were. By the time Kaitlin was supposed to get pregnant I had two potential suitors, Reid and Leroy. I just liked Leroy better and felt like they had more of a real connection than she did with playboy Reid so I wanted them to get together. But by that time, the story had taken over and I was no longer playing the game, just illustrating my story. I was only using the challenge rules to provide drama.

So really, I think you are asking in game, what do you look for? Honestly, I can’t tell you for story purposes because in my current story, the spouse or partner is all in my head. And for New Beginnings, I already had the story mapped out and the spouses and characters all came from casting calls. I simply picked the ones that would fit the role I had in mind for them. I have never actually “played” TS4 and wrote a story based on gameplay. So I guess I really didn’t answer your question at all! :/

You did! I was curious as to what considerations you and everyone else takes to choose the partner/spouse. Out of curiosity are you going to do a casting call for Gen Two for New Beginnings?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic

You did! I was curious as to what considerations you and everyone else takes to choose the partner/spouse. Out of curiosity are you going to do a casting call for Gen Two for New Beginnings?

I am glad I helped. I am seri considering another casting call. Cole will need friends his own age and a love interest or two.... :) I really like the casting calls because then I get a good variety of different looking sims.

I am glad I helped. I am seri considering another casting call. Cole will need friends his own age and a love interest or two.... :) I really like the casting calls because then I get a good variety of different looking sims.

Sweet, I will have to play around in CAS for the potential Casting Call :)

TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    New Discussion Question! What type of obstacles are your favorite to impliment in your story? (Internal? External? Other things?) And why?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    New Discussion Question! What type of obstacles are your favorite to impliment in your story? (Internal? External? Other things?) And why?
    Such a hard question.....

I guess take whatever flaws your character has and then anything that challenges those flaws.....so they can overcome them and grow. If they are scared of the dark, make them get trapped in a dark room sort of thing. I don’t really have a favorite but do like to throw stuff at them that challenges them. I would be interested to hear what everyone else had to say.
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @LillyDoves Internal obstacles tend to be my favorite, just because I love writing emotions and getting in my characters’ heads! :)
    snvAF3B.png
    @LillyDoves Internal obstacles tend to be my favorite, just because I love writing emotions and getting in my characters’ heads! :)
    Can you say Harper.....the most internal obstacles of anyone ever..... :)
    How does everyone decide to end a characters life? How did you feel about it? What was the deciding factor in ending a characters life?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    How does everyone decide to end a characters life? How did you feel about it? What was the deciding factor in ending a characters life?
    Character development mostly, plus how it affects the story and adds conflict or drama. I didn’t kill anyone off in Starting Over....thought about it really hard though but decided it didn’t make sense and would just be gratuitous.

I had Ben’s gen completely mapped out before I started writing so I knew his wife was going to die somehow during or after childbirth. It was really to have a legitimate reason for him to have to turn to his parents - being a single father and not coping too well. He had nowhere else to go especially with the dealers breathing down his neck.

So I guess that was really specific. But only if it makes sense for the story and causes the conflict I need.
  • NicoletteSimsNicoletteSims Posts: 364 Member
    More stories for me to lurk?! Yassss! <3
    Links on my wall:
    >>The Eastman's: Sun/Wed/Thurs>>Days Of Golden: Mon>>Catching Up With The Clarkes: Tues/Fri
    More stories for me to lurk?! Yassss! <3

Hi Nicole! Lurk away!
    How does everyone go about setting up background with characters and how they are connected to each other?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    How does everyone go about setting up background with characters and how they are connected to each other?
    You would just introduce who they are in a lot of different ways. Depends on how you are writing the story I guess. This is hard to explain.
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    HI GUYS!!!!! It's been forever. I'm so pleased I haven't been booted from the reading circle! I've had a lot going on in my life. A bit of an upheaval in my marriage (though we're not divorcing, which is a bit of a relief), I have been working on grad school applications (trying to go to school in Europe, fingers crossed), and my family is all rallying because my grandmother is still battling cancer. It's just a lot.

But now that I've completed my school application, I've had a sudden burst of motivation to get back into my Simlit thing. I've missed you guys!

I'll just jump back in by answering the discussion questions:
    What type of obstacles are your favorite to implement in your story? (Internal? External? Other things?) And why?
    My story is mostly game-driven, meaning that what happens when I play is what informs the story. But I use the MCCC mod, and

that *clap* mod *clap* wreaks *clap* havoc *clap* in *clap* my *clap* game.

It's the reason Robyn Epstein got pregnant as a teen. It's the reason every guy Carmen liked ended up married. It's the reason the Epsteins have 5 freaking kids! I've had to get quite creative and soap opera-y (which was the point anyway) to explain the zaniness.

I have so many "main" characters, I barely concern myself with background characters, I'm usually more worried about how to reduce my main characters so I'm not trying to tell 25 different stories. This club thing I'm doing that connects them all was my way of dealing with it. As I take my story forward when I finally start publishing Round 10 chapters, I'm going to try to focus more on only the characters who are eligible for club membership.

Every now and then, like my character I'm obsessed with (Baby Branham), a character I didn't intend to be big in my story just infiltrates everything. He's friends with all of my main characters.

Okay, I'm off to start catching up on everyone's stories! Wish me luck, I'm so far behind.
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    We've missed you @cecerose0208 :heart: Glad you're back!!!!
    snvAF3B.png
    Welcome back @cecerose0208 - Good luck on your application! Crossing fingers...
    I got into the school!!! I'm going to Belgium this fall if I can figure out the money situation. Thank God for grants and scholarships. *happy dance*
    I got into the school!!! I'm going to Belgium this fall if I can figure out the money situation. Thank God for grants and scholarships. *happy dance*

Congratulations! That is sooo awesome! <3

Congratulations! That is sooo awesome! <3

Thanks!
    Hey all, I'm not sure if you follow my story thread on the forums, but just in case you don't, I'm posting new chapters to my neighborhood rotation story again! I'm working on catching back up with everyone's stories, so look forward to me reading and commenting again. I can't wait to see what all your lovely characters have been up to.
    Hey all, I'm not sure if you follow my story thread on the forums, but just in case you don't, I'm posting new chapters to my neighborhood rotation story again! I'm working on catching back up with everyone's stories, so look forward to me reading and commenting again. I can't wait to see what all your lovely characters have been up to.

That banner scares me to death! Look at all those sims...I can't believe we have been able to keep up with who's who...but I totally know!

That banner scares me to death! Look at all those sims...I can't believe we have been able to keep up with who's who...but I totally know!

That banner is ridiculous right? As soon as I get past round 10, where I'm trying up all the loose ends I set up im round 9, I am definitely paring down which characters I'm focusing on the most. As the kids grow up, I will not be able to focus on them all. It's just too much.
    It was a population explosion in Dreams & Drama - More like Sex & Drama! Nobody's sleeping long enough to dream!
    It was a population explosion in Dreams & Drama - More like Sex & Drama! Nobody's sleeping long enough to dream!

And all those darn multiples!!! Laurel and Kurt have five, including one set of twins. Their only son Quincy has triplets with Daniella. Luca and Liz had twins who aren't even pictured yet. Gavin and Akira have three, including a set of twins. Bo and Heaven have three, though thankfully no twins. And Carmen has three, including a set of twins.

I tell you, they've all been fixed. Every last one of the parents has a flag for no offspring. No more babies! Oh, and Robyn is pregnant too! She's flagged for no more babies... for now. We'll see where her story goes.

I'm definitely doing a better job of population control going forward. And even when the other Sims start making babies, they will NOT be featured so much, we might see them at a birthday party or something, lol.