Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @mypalsim1: glad you're feeling well enough to post. <3 There is a lot about the game I hate having to justify, so you're definitely right there.

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter...whenever. ;)

Favorite justifiable moment in one of my stories ever... Lizzie buys bubble bath and carried it home... somewhere. :p
    Nora snickered as she brushed past me on the stairs.

“What’s in your back pocket?” she asked, poking at a suspicious bulge in my athletic shorts.

“Bubble bath.”

@mypalsim1 I'm happy to hear you're ok. If I swe the guy again, I'll snap a picture.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @mypalsim1 So glad you're feeling better! I really appreciated being introduced to your story, and I loved hearing your thoughts about it! Looking forward to continuing reading it! :)

Looks like our Tasty Read last week was a no-show, so we got a little break! :)

This week, we're back with our next two-week read, which is Super Dating, Season 1, by @swcheppes ! I love this story a lot! I'm the Coffee Hour host for this reading, and I'm looking forward to talking about the story with you!

This week is the week for reading Super Dating, Season 1. During this week, feel free to share your responses, things you love about the story, and anything you want to talk about in regards to it!

Then, next week, we'll have a more focused conversation, guided by our questions for readers and the writer.

I've been enjoying the way that Coffee Hour conversations have been working, so let's just continue with that format!

Really looking forward to sharing this story with all of you! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    @CathyTea @everyone I'm so excited to discuss my story! I've been finding it hard to write lately. I'm hoping these next two weeks will help get my mojo back :D
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    swcheppes wrote: »
    @CathyTea @everyone I'm so excited to discuss my story! I've been finding it hard to write lately. I'm hoping these next two weeks will help get my mojo back :D

is that the one we read in ww?

Yes it is :)
    suRdkSd.jpg

Yes it is :)

yeah i'm not confused mom and were jeans shopping since 10. no coffee. i got MH jeans. mh isn't a brand its mommy happy.
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Cooool! I can join in on this one! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    Oh, I'm looking forward to discussing Super Dating. I enjoyed it when we read it over in the WW thread.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Cooool! I can join in on this one! :D

Of course! We'll love to hear your responses, thoughts, and ideas! :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Oh, I'm looking forward to discussing Super Dating. I enjoyed it when we read it over in the WW thread.

Oh, feel free to invite your WW folks!

Hi, Book Clubbers! Before we officially begin Coffee Hour, I thought we'd start by sharing our responses.

What were your first impressions?

What did you love most?

Other responses you'd like to share?

My first impressions: I suspected I'd enjoy this before I even started reading, because I really like @swcheppes 's work! Her Life After Riverdale is lasting favorite of mine, and I've enjoyed everything I've read by her.

I was delightfully surprised by the prologue because... the language! The style! The tone! The first paragraph got me:
    A good writer once told me write what you know. What I know are comic books and boys. In my case those two usually go hand and hand. They also told me to start at the beginning. So here I go.

I always like stories that start with a truism. Then, I was so surprised to find that the next sentence included comic books and boys--how awesomely geeky!

One of my favorite aspect of this story is how that approach of starting with a reflective, thematic paragraph opens each chapter. I look forward to those opening paragraphs the most!

I really fell in love with the story and the narrator by the end of the first paragraph, and that's what kept me hooked as a reader!

What did I love most...

See above! :)

What I love second most are the settings, screenshots, and characters--OK, those are three things, but they all combine into one to provide a great context for the story and for those reflective observations, which are what I love most! :)

Other responses

I read this story as it was released, and I really enjoyed the pacing of it. There was a bit of time between chapters, and I found that they story stayed with me during those times. I thought about it a lot, and then when the next chapter was posted, I was so happy!

I'm not sure what the experience would be like if I'd come upon it as a completed work or binged to catch up... I bet I would have had to read it slowly, like a chapter a week, because this is one of those rich, thoughtful reading experiences that I don't want to rush!

(Kinda a surprise to say that a superhero dating story offers a thoughtful reading experience! That's something else I loved, that with such a fun fantasy story, I'd be able to enjoy character development and introspection.)

Looking forward to your responses! :)

(I'm dropping off goodies to share!)

il_570xN.1039358812_q9de.jpg

4544459173_ae664f9cb7_b.jpg

computer-2242263_1280.jpg

• lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Great thread @CathyTea I already bookmarked this a few months back and I hope to meet new writers. Hello everyone!
    CathyTea wrote: »

you forgot the fruit and veges for you.

you forgot the fruit and veges for you.

True. It's a coffee day for me--sugar, if I still ate it! (Veggies coming up in an hour! LOL!)

• candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    The cookies!! <3

I have to admit I don't really like stories that include real life characters. But the writing totally got me hooked up! Also I love how @swcheppes includes drama into the story, without being too dramatic. I also find the more I read of it, the more I liked it.

What did you love most?
    I think the writing style. I love how everything is told from the main character's point of view in the form of a journal. Seeing her emotions, how she reminiscents about what happened, and the thrown in memories of her in between make her look so relatable.

I want Chris Hemsworth back, lol
    I guess not gonna happen, but I'll stick up for the following chapters!
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    edited March 2018
    With it being @swcheppes simself as the main character, I thought that initially, it was going to some kind of fantasy story for shacking up with multiple Super Heroes (sorry Swcheppes :D ) but boy was I wrong, there was real-life drama infused within the story, genuine comedy and she managed to portray these men as... human.

What did you love most?
    Spotting Chris Evans in each chapter - nearly made me spill my drink on a few occasions! :D

Not really a response, but a couple of questions I'd like to tap on to the end, two directed at @swcheppes and the other to everyone.

For everyone:

You wake up tomorrow morning and you have a single superpower, what is it?

For Swcheppes:

Which comic book character started your journey? Why them?

Same as the above question for everyone, but as this is your story we're focusing on, you get two superpowers, what are they?

dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    Hey there Book Clubbers... this is my second read through of Super Dating, and it is a treat. :)

What were your first impressions? I was hooked onto the story line pretty quickly. It was an intriguing and unique idea. And I appreciated Erin's rich inner thoughts.

What did you love most?
    The quirkiness of the main character. The super hero love. I kept hoping for my favorite to show up, which he did. ;) I also love the engaging writing style. Reminds me a bit of magical realism (without the magic or supernatural, but simply, shiny superheros!).

Other responses you'd like to share?[/quote]

Since @Munterbacon asked, I'd like teleportation. Then I could travel where I'd like... though I'd probably still need some moulah to make do. :D

@schweppes Did you have a "superhero" ending in mind or did you just play to see what would happen? What inspired this story idea?

@CathyTea thanks for the treats... mmm... now I want coffee with latte art... and cookies. Lol.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited March 2018
    Excelsior!

I'm so excited to discuss my work with you guys this week. I look forward to answering all your questions and getting some insight on what you're liking and what might not be working.

First off I want to thank all of you for reading Super Dating! For those who have been reading from the beginning, thanks for sticking around. And to those who just found my story, welcome :) It means so much that you all have taken the time to read my work and by the sound of if so far have enjoyed what you are reading. As many of you know Super Dating is sort of my autobiography. No I haven't dated all these gorgeous men, I did meet Henry Cavill and there was chemistry there :p . But many of the situations Erin faces and the feelings she has about her life are all me. I had to allow myself to be vulnerable to write this. I wasn't just going to write all the happy in my life, because honestly no ones life is just happy. It's the bad that at times shape us even more. So again thanks for reading and allowing me to share myself with you!

Now to answer some questions :D

@Munterbacon asked:
    Which comic book character started your journey? Why them?
    Little real life fact about me I work at a comic book store part time. I'm asked this alot. It's actually a question I hate answering. Not because I don't love my answer because to this day it's a comic a still read. Being a female and most of the time it's a male asking me, the reaction I get is usually a laugh followed by a disbelief I'm a real comic fan, which is so wrong. Anyways my introductions to comics was Archie. I remember going to the starionary store near Keyfood when I would go grocery shopping with my mom and being so excited to see what new Archie or Betty and Veronica digest and double digest came out. Archie was just fun and at the time more relatable then superheroes to me. Also I love the art work which is still a criteria I use today when finding new comics to read. Now I don't really read the digests anynore, I stick to the new Archie titles that are out. But ever so often I'll pick one up and get a sense of that excitement I had as a kid.

Same as the above question for everyone, but as this is your story we're focusing on, you get two superpowers, what are they?
    100 percent I want to fly. Never having to pay for a plane ride again would be heavenly. The second one is reading minds. I always wanted to hear people's thoughts but only if I could control it enough to shut it off and on.

@AdamsEve1231 asked:
    Did you have a "superhero" ending in mind or did you just play to see what would happen? What inspired this story idea?
    It's funny because I actually don't have an ending planned for this story. I have ideas for plot points I want to explore but how I want this to end has not been decided. Maybe since this is a story essentially about me it's hard to see an ending. My likes and dislikes and feelings are constantly changing. So today I may want Erin to be with Henry in the end but two weeks from now I'll think Jason is a better ending. Or maybe she shouldn't end up with anyone. Actually the very beginning of this story was me just playing the game and seeing what happened. For example Erin running into both Jason and Henry in the same day was all game. I do want this story to have an end I'm just not sure what that ending will be.
    As for what inspired the story, honestly I really wanted to fill my world with all my crushes and see if my simself would meet them and what would come of it. At first it was just going to be a save I played for fun. I had no intention to write a story about this. To be honest I don't remember at what point I had the idea to turn it into a story but it was still pretty early on in the save.
    Post edited by swcheppes on
    suRdkSd.jpg
    You wake up tomorrow morning and you have a single superpower, what is it?

I would love to have the Power to Heal: mind, body, spirit, and soul! I'd use it to End Global Oppression!

Happy Coffee Hour Evening-style... or morning style... or maybe, Timezone style?

pexels-photo-189537.jpeg?w=1260&h=750&auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb

Got a question for the readers...

What's this story about? I mean, sure... about super-hero-dating-fantasies... but not really. What's it *really* about?

And... a question for the writer...

What's this story about? No, really!

Happy Coffee Hour Evening-style... or morning style... or maybe, Timezone style?

What's this story about? I mean, sure... about super-hero-dating-fantasies... but not really. What's it *really* about?

Before I give my answer I'm going to wait for some responses. I don't want to sway anyone's answer ;)
    suRdkSd.jpg

Before I give my answer I'm going to wait for some responses. I don't want to sway anyone's answer ;)

okay whats the story about?

sis and i are awesome at this we once got rip to write a story she wasn't sure she was ready to start.
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Hi all! I've never joined a book club or reading circle before but I'm intrigued and have had this bookmarked since Cathy mentioned it a few weeks back.

Going to curl up with some tea despite the late hour and see how far I get in Super Dating. :)
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison