Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Sims 4 Worth Buying on Sale?

I love the Sims 3 honestly, however now that Sims 4 is on sale (and I probably wouldn't buy without the sale otherwise) I'm thinking about buying Sims 4 since it is pretty cheap right now. However, there are a few things that I don't like such as:

-Closed World
-No color wheel (though I have found a mod that changes colors outside of the game)
-Plastic looking texture

However, I want to see what other Sims 3 players with probably similar opinions as me think before I jump to make a purchase.
Orgin: BrianAndree

Comments

• Options
    KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    I bought The Sims 4 (with Cats and Dogs) just a few days ago and my main advice to you would be to get the free 48 hour trial from Origin. The trial will give you a hands-on feel for the game and then you can decide if you want to take the plunge or not.

That being said, if you dislike a closed world gameplay then you probably will find it jarring at the very least. It's a big jump to take if you're not completely sold on the game.

As for how I feel about it, I like 4 a lot more than I thought I would but I still don't find it as charming or captivating as the older games. Maybe that's just my nostalgia talking. That being said, I love its CAS and the abilities to multitask and travel from world to world are cool so I do like the game a lot. I think I'll like it even more when elements such as weather are added.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • Options
    BrianAndreeBrianAndree Posts: 422 Member
    I bought The Sims 4 (with Cats and Dogs) just a few days ago and my main advice to you would be to get the free 48 hour trial from Origin. The trial will give you a hands-on feel for the game and then you can decide if you want to take the plunge or not.

That being said, if you dislike a closed world gameplay then you probably will find it jarring at the very least. It's a big jump to take if you're not completely sold on the game.

As for how I feel about it, I like 4 a lot more than I thought I would but I still don't find it as charming or captivating as the older games. Maybe that's just my nostalgia talking. That being said, I love its CAS and the abilities to multitask and travel from world to world are cool so I do like the game a lot. I think I'll like it even more when elements such as weather are added.

I used my free trial long ago and I dont remember much from it x_x however, I do remember liking being able to size the body parts. Multitask sounds cool too. I think its the little things I like (dining pack, multitasking, body part sizing) that I like. However, I still have no clue what I should do.
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I bought it on sale about a year ago, and in all honesty I've played it twice for a grand total of 2 hours. I didnt really know what to do with my sim after I made them, nothing really held my attention.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Nothing appeals to me in Sims4. I don't like the art style, closed worlds, no cas+, plastique appearance to the furniture, lego hairdo's, creepy grins, even creepier facial expressions, emotions, multi tasking that keeps them from doing what you want them to do, lets not talk about the walks, load screens, can't control all your sims all the time. That being said, you might love it. :) Some of my friends do and I still love them. :smiley:
  • Options
    KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member

I used my free trial long ago and I dont remember much from it x_x however, I do remember liking being able to size the body parts. Multitask sounds cool too. I think its the little things I like (dining pack, multitasking, body part sizing) that I like. However, I still have no clue what I should do.

I guess it really boils down to, can you afford to spend the money if you don't like it? It took me a long time to even consider checking it out because I was far more interested in playing 2 as it's always been my favourite. Then a friend of mine got it and she loved it so I decided to try it for myself. I personally think it's decent enough but of course everybody is different. If you think that you can spare the money, maybe just give it a try. You might surprise yourself or if you don't like it, it's not the end of the world and you can go back to 3.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    There are definitely some people around who play both games, but that being said, I'm not one of them. I bought 4 when it first came out, and before I heard anything about the free trial, and I really wish I hadn't bothered. I don't think I played more than a couple weeks, and in brief sessions (because I was either bored or annoyed), and after a couple months I deleted the game and haven't even thought about going back to it. I've always loved the sims games, and while I was not liking much I was seeing/hearing about 4 ahead of time, I figured I was being a stick in the mud and I'd like it just like all the rest if I gave it a chance. But, I didn't, not at all.

Some not-too-organized pros and cons from my point of view: I loathe closed world and all the little loading screens that break up immersion. Also don't like the tiny worlds. I really missed being able to recolor things. The CAS *is* nice, but once I got those sims in game, I found I didn't care about them at all. The emotions thing was bizarre, as were the various walk styles and their Joker smiles (I've been told they've tamed the smiles down). I wasn't crazy about the change in game controls or the build mode either (although it added some neat stuff), but I would have probably adjusted to those things if I stuck to the game longer. The other thing I really didn't like was all the extra little things sims needed to do outside of work or school - to me, all that was just drudgery. Oh, and party goals - not at all what I was looking for . . . On the plus side, a lot of little things were nice: the cooking and recipes, the gardening, lots of nice decorator stuff to use.

Keep in mind I only played the base game, so it might be more interesting by now, but I think my personal problems with it would still be the same.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    If you don’t mind me asking—other than the current sale, what has drawn you towards buying TS4 now, despite disliking the things you’ve mentioned? That might help you find your answer.

For myself, I had the same reservations about TS4 that you listed, and many more besides. I’d done the 48 hour free trial after it first became available and gave the game a pass at that point, despite the offered discount, with no plans to revisit my decision in the future.

However, in 2016 I unexpectedly needed to be hundreds of miles from home for several months. Long story is irrelevant here, but the gist is that without my desktop I had no access to my Sims games for the duration. So I gave TS4 another look. After doing a second free trial on my laptop (with a different Origin account) and noting TS4 was on sale, I rationalized that any Sims game would be better than none, so I purchased it along with one SP and one GP (also on sale).

There are some little touches I liked, but those small things weren’t enough. TS4 just doesn’t engage me like the previous games do. There’s too much missing for me in terms of creativity, content and features, too many annoyances in gameplay, I’m not a fan of the art style, etc. Honestly, had I not been in the anomalous situation I was, I never would’ve made the purchase. I won’t say I regret buying 4 because it served its purpose at the time and I paid so little for it. But since returning home, I have only attempted playing it twice more and have closed the game in under an hour both times, whereas I can easily lose hours in both TS2 and TS3 and just prefer playing those. But of course, YMMV.
  • Options
    bekkasan wrote: »
    Nothing appeals to me in Sims4. I don't like the art style, closed worlds, no cas+, plastique appearance to the furniture, lego hairdo's, creepy grins, even creepier facial expressions, emotions, multi tasking that keeps them from doing what you want them to do, lets not talk about the walks, load screens, can't control all your sims all the time. That being said, you might love it. :) Some of my friends do and I still love them. :smiley:

Yeah, I really dont like the closed worlds or the plastic looking characters/hair either.
  • Options

I guess it really boils down to, can you afford to spend the money if you don't like it? It took me a long time to even consider checking it out because I was far more interested in playing 2 as it's always been my favourite. Then a friend of mine got it and she loved it so I decided to try it for myself. I personally think it's decent enough but of course everybody is different. If you think that you can spare the money, maybe just give it a try. You might surprise yourself or if you don't like it, it's not the end of the world and you can go back to 3.

I mean I could afford the money its just the fact that im really stingy with it. Im not really sure if I want it, so I dont know if I will buy it or not but either way nothing is lost since im still enjoying three.
  • Options
    starguru wrote: »
    If you don’t mind me asking—other than the current sale, what has drawn you towards buying TS4 now, despite disliking the things you’ve mentioned? That might help you find your answer.

For myself, I had the same reservations about TS4 that you listed, and many more besides. I’d done the 48 hour free trial after it first became available and gave the game a pass at that point, despite the offered discount, with no plans to revisit my decision in the future.

However, in 2016 I unexpectedly needed to be hundreds of miles from home for several months. Long story is irrelevant here, but the gist is that without my desktop I had no access to my Sims games for the duration. So I gave TS4 another look. After doing a second free trial on my laptop (with a different Origin account) and noting TS4 was on sale, I rationalized that any Sims game would be better than none, so I purchased it along with one SP and one GP (also on sale).

There are some little touches I liked, but those small things weren’t enough. TS4 just doesn’t engage me like the previous games do. There’s too much missing for me in terms of creativity, content and features, too many annoyances in gameplay, I’m not a fan of the art style, etc. Honestly, had I not been in the anomalous situation I was, I never would’ve made the purchase. I won’t say I regret buying 4 because it served its purpose at the time and I paid so little for it. But since returning home, I have only attempted playing it twice more and have closed the game in under an hour both times, whereas I can easily lose hours in both TS2 and TS3 and just prefer playing those. But of course, YMMV.

Multitasking, stuff packs, being able to customize bodies farther.

Honestly, from most of the stuff (that turned me off to begin with) plus most comments here and reviews on the internet, I think im going to steer clear of buying it, just to be safe, and if my love for Sims 3 ever does die then ill pick it up.

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    AJC20178AJC20178 Posts: 264 Member
    hi, im unsure on buying sims 4, what do you think? is it better than sims 3? is it worth it? thank you.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    AJC20178 wrote: »
    hi, im unsure on buying sims 4, what do you think? is it better than sims 3? is it worth it? thank you.

For me Its a yes, for others it may be a no, so it depends at what you want. What is the first sims game you had played? If so, are there some features in The Sims 4 that you are hearing that you don't like? Such as the removal of open world? If the features that has been omitted dosen't really affect on how you play the game, then I say go for it. If you miss the features from Expansion Packs, then it will take a while for them to come back. Such as EP5 which was expected to be released this fall. That said, try the 48 trial on Origin. That will help you judge the game whether it is worth buying or not or if it is something that you enjoy.

Lastly if you had previous sims game such as The Sims 3 and 2 and you are still having tons of fun with it, then I say there is no reason for a new sims game. Do it only if you really wanted a new sims experience.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Honnestly it could be a good game, but he's problem is that TS2 & TS3 exist.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    ive played sims from the very beginning. i have also just tried the trail last night, and yes i miss the open world, big community, careers such as the fireman etc. Also i was shocked at the lack of community lots. maybe your right and wait till i have done more with the sims 3.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I love the Sims 3 honestly, however now that Sims 4 is on sale (and I probably wouldn't buy without the sale otherwise) I'm thinking about buying Sims 4 since it is pretty cheap right now. However, there are a few things that I don't like such as:

-Closed World
    -No color wheel (though I have found a mod that changes colors outside of the game)
    -Plastic looking texture

However, I want to see what other Sims 3 players with probably similar opinions as me think before I jump to make a purchase.

If you are going to buy it now would be a good time since EA is having a publishing sale and the base game bundles are fairly cheap. If you have a Target near you, I think the physical copies are like $15 now. Nowadays digital is more expensive since most don't use the physical copies anymore. I would say TS3 is more enjoyable overall, but TS4 is nice for a slower paced gameplay. I will say that I like that I tend to keep my families more connected. I often do meet ups with entire families in the parks or have toddler cousins play together in the toddler park I DL from the gallery. Definitely not something I did in TS3.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    I've always gotten the new Sims games simply because it was a new Sims game. I never really thought much about putting the money up for it because it became something I just sort of... did. Having said that, I love Sims 4 now, but I wasn't completely sold on it in the beginning - despite shelling out money for the deluxe edition. Like I said, it was just something I did because it's something I've always done.

I hated the art style in the beginning, but after playing for a while, I've grown accustomed to it. I was angry about the things they left out, but as they patched more in - and did really good things with it - I forgave that, too. The pieces that were missing for me personally are there now (except for other supernatural life states). I have 800 hours in the game. I went from feeling disenchanted with it to actually enjoying my time in the game to the point where I play pretty regularly.

So, for me, it's a yes, but I will be honest... I'm still not totally used to the closed world and kind of roll my eyes every time I come up against a loading screen. I'd definitely say if you are unsure about it, get it when it's on sale so if you end up not liking it you aren't wasting full cost.
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • Options
    Thank you very much
  • Options
    SimsFanatic00SimsFanatic00 Posts: 124 Member
    It's hard to give advice on this topic. Cause you have people that LOVE The Sims 3 and you have people that LOVE The Sims 4 and some that LOVE both (like me). Both sides have equal points. The sale price for The Sims 4 right now is $14.99 so it's not like you're paying $59.99 or $49.99. I would suggest if you had time left from the free trial to try that but if you don't I'd say try to swing that $14.99. You might like it. But if you don't like it it's not like you're out $60. I don't wanna offend anyone and I'm sorry if I do that wasn't my intention. I've been playing The Sims since the very first one. I love all 4 of the sims games, they each have their strengths and weaknesses.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    If you're a legacy player, stay away
    If you care about world continuity, stay away
    If you will turn aging to off and will just have endless parties with new sims that get generated daily and have no kids, go ahead.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited March 2018
    I think it depends what you want in a Sims game. It is a super sale right now so if you were to get it now would be the time. There are many pros and cons and I am a player that has been invested since the sims 1. I will tell you there are things I like better than TS3, but things I still do miss.

Pros:
    -you can visit any world in the game in any save no matter where you live. Makes up for the worlds being small in my opinion because I always missed this in TS3 since it was in 2. You had to move if you wanted to see the city, I hated that.
    -CAS is just incredible in this game. It is easier than ever to create the type of Sim you want.
    -Build mode is fantastic and way more user friendly than past version, but the interface takes some getting used to.
    -The game may have loading screens, but they take 2 seconds even on a lower end computer which I have. This game is much friendly to lower end laptops and desktops. I do not have to get up and do something else anymore while the game loads up either like I did with even TS3 base game because it took so long.
    -We may not have an open world, but I think it makes the game so much smoother and less laggy, which is a pro. I had a good laptop for TS3 and it was ridiculously slow in the end.
    -The graphics. Sorry for those that think they are cartoony, but I prefer these sims over TS3 pudding faces.
    -Neighborhoods are very lively. Always someone for my sim to go out and talk to or meet no matter where I am.
    -Multitasking! Seriously one of the best features in TS4 and something that makes it hard for me to go back to TS3.

Cons
    -No create a style. I will say I really miss the endless color swatches. They give us nice ones for all the clothing and furniture, but I still miss it.
    -No open world. While this is also a bit of pro again due to no lag, it is disappointing at times.
    -Emotions can be annoying at times and so can whims.
    -Aspirations are almost too easy and I wish we had more of them that matched with careers like previous versions.
    -I kind of miss the rabbit hole activities. We have plenty to do with expansions (which I do not have all of) and there are some rabbit holes now, but I miss sending my sim to the movies or the grocery store to buy produce.
    -Lackluster expansions. Some are great, some not so much. I only have two out of four due to this.

This is just my opinion as someone who has been playing since I was a little kid. There are great things about TS4 and I have always understood why to open world was taken away. It was a graphical bog on games. Made them slow, laggy, and hard to play for even those with high end computers. I play the game and I enjoy it immensely, sometimes more than I did 3. But there are pros and cons for all games including TS3. It is up to you to decide if this one is worth it. You want it, buy it. You are in between and unsure, for 16 dollars I would still buy it. And if you do not want it, do not buy it. Watch Let's play videos. That has always helped me make decisions whether I want content/packs for TS4 or not.
  • Options
    0xx_Simmer_xx00xx_Simmer_xx0 Posts: 196 Member
    edited March 2018
    > @BrianAndree said:
    > I love the Sims 3 honestly, however now that Sims 4 is on sale (and I probably wouldn't buy without the sale otherwise) I'm thinking about buying Sims 4 since it is pretty cheap right now. However, there are a few things that I don't like such as:
    >
    > -Closed World
    > -No color wheel (though I have found a mod that changes colors outside of the game)
    > -Plastic looking texture
    >
    > However, I want to see what other Sims 3 players with probably similar opinions as me think before I jump to make a purchase.

Personally, the Sims 4 is way better than The Sims 3. I used to play The Sims 3 all the time and I can actually live without aspects like Open World and Colour Wheel. I suggest you watch Let's Play videos before you purchase it.
    Post edited by 0xx_Simmer_xx0 on
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Read reviews (LGR recommended), watch LPS/walkthroughs/previews, read the forums, fansites, google stuff,
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Great question. My answer is yes the Sims 4 is worth buying ON SALE.
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    I honestly wouldn't buy TS4 or any other TS games in general(even if they were on sale) now that they nerfed the Vampires.(they can't break into apartments/houses anymore, even tho the Vampires trailer shows so)
    TS team did that behind players back without even telling about it in patch notes.

This feedback comes from a disappointed player who owns all the DLC for TS4.
  • Options
    PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I was in your same position before I bought Sims 4. I was very hesitant. I finally decided to just go for it in 2016 and I'm so glad I did. I've spent more than 1000 hours playing since then. It's very different than Sims 3, which is neither a good or bad thing to me. I still go back and play Sims 3 when I miss the aspects that made Sims 3 special.

I don't love the plastic looking asthetic either so I tend to dress my sims in Alpha CC even if it doesn't match the overall world. There are some amazing mods for Sims 4 too.