Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Archaeology makes it too easy to make money

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It’s true, the chances of getting the violin aren’t that high. Your sim will always come back rich if they dig artifacts and level up that skill.

I sent a sim couple to the new world, after renting the villa they had 340 simoleans, they bought supplies and had 80 simoleans when they went to the jungle.

They went home with nearly 13,000 simoleans for a three day trip from digging up artifacts amd one treasure chest with a treasure worth almost 9000 simoleans. They didn’t compete the temple. They each only reached level two of the archaeological skill so even though their uncoverings were poor quality they were still making easy money.
  • itslouisitslouis Posts: 24 Member
    > @Evoke said:
    > Yeah, when you weigh up the pros/cons it's actually quite dangerous way of making money lol. I mean my household has a lot of money now, but little Destiny will never get her Grandma back.

This.

I hope EA don't lower the price of artefacts, and maybe just up the rate of counterfeits.

The $5k/day promiseland from authenticating might require some self-restraint/a slight pay cut/reduction in frequency.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Personally, I think it makes sense to get good cash from a dangerous expedition in a foreign jungle.

However, perhaps the problem is the jungle is not as dangerous as it should be, for all of the riches it contains.

I would prefer they add more risk as opposed to simply nerfing the Simoleon rate. Maybe as you’re digging, scorpions could pop out and infect your Sim with a disease you have only a couple of hours to cure before it starts getting really bad.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Is there something wrong with making easy money?
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Here's another source of income I haven't seen discussed -- black bean splices. I swear they flower at least twice a day. I have eight of them right now -- one for each emotion berry and one for avocado, and my sims could support themselves on that alone. It would be ridiculously profitable splicing an expensive fruit to them.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member

I properly explained how I desire a bit more difficulty when making money.
    You can go to that little park in Oasis Springs and fish up a violin for 15k. You don't even need to buy a fishing pole or bait. :p

That violin is a rare drop competing with about 20 other potential catches in the same pool. The 15k from archaeology/exploring is a 100% guarentee every single temple run.

Not that I expect it's especially difficult to get that violin (though I'm sure you'll go ahead and protest it anyway), but ok, you can start up a store (which requires little more than buying the smallest empty lot possible and the few things like the register to get it going) and then sell that violin for 300% markup the very same day. Then you can use that 45k to sell three more violins, then 9 more, ...

You can eventually write books so well (in less than a week) that you can get $5k-10k EVERY SINGLE DAY through royalties, at which point you don't have to do anything but maybe write one more book per week.

You can just go around collecting stuff from neighborhoods and sell it for more than $15k a week.

You can go get a random Sim to move in with you in a matter of minutes, just by talking to them. They bring in $20k with them. Then you can kick them out. They don't take that money when they go.

There are dozens of ways to make more than 15k a week. Careers in this game are probably the slowest ways to make money. Be a painter. Be a writer. Be a gardener. Be a retail shop runner. Be a crafter and sell stuff using that yard sale table thing.

I'm sorry but 'making money' in this game has never been difficult. The idea that JA somehow makes it even easier is ridiculous. Why? Because it takes longer there almost any time than just to use any method I've mentioned. And everyone seems to forget JA is a vacation world. It's meant to go there once in awhile, not to stay there, lol.

Go fish. That violin (if even in the pool and assuming you're not confusing it with the cheaper one, which is caught in the exact same pool) is competing with Pirahnas, Captain Bones, Gummy fish, Angelfish, Red-Tailed Sharks, the cheaper violin, lemons, voodoo dolls, Cowplant Berries, Sturgeons, Rainbow fish, Bass, Catfish, Beta fish, Anglerfish, Salmons, and any other number of pack content such as Cichlids. It is not a common drop, and yes there's a lot of things that can be caught in it's place.

You're also not comparing the effort going into this stuff. Writing books to make 15k a week demands your Sim basically do nothing but write for two solid weeks. After two weeks pass, that 15k is back to zero and demands you repeat the process. Archaeology comparitively hits a point where for one hour per day, you can make 5k. It's one initial time sink to level the skill, then a permanent 5k per day (seemingly, can't confirm but from what I saw it absolutely seemed daily) alongside any other profits made. Music for example can only hope to achieve 2k a day or so. Painting would demand more time for the same cost, as does writing.

And you're not even accounting for the fact there's a reward aspiration to increase rewards from exploring. I have not seen how much of a boost that reward trait gives, but seeing as how we're STARTING with a 15k minimum, I suspect it's gonna be at least 30k per day. It also doesn't account for the artifact whose power is "I give money lol."

This is hands down the easiest way to make money in the game and slaughters the competition in terms of time/cost effectiveness. As I said, for myself I hate this kind of stuff because the game is already easy enough as it is. It also makes me worry we'll see more of this in the future, because as I said, I feel cash is one of the most dull and boring rewards there is, but also the easiest to develop.

Perfect explanation of how I feel!
    alan650111 wrote: »

Ok but you don't have to sell it and not everything is expensive and worth alot my sim has stuff that are only worth 400 dollars to 1000 I don't see how you can make 15k in one day doing that my sims archeology skill is high to its level 9.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Personally, I think it makes sense to get good cash from a dangerous expedition in a foreign jungle.

However, perhaps the problem is the jungle is not as dangerous as it should be, for all of the riches it contains.

I would prefer they add more risk as opposed to simply nerfing the Simoleon rate. Maybe as you’re digging, scorpions could pop out and infect your Sim with a disease you have only a couple of hours to cure before it starts getting really bad.

Well, Selvadorada in Spanish means "Golden Jungle" so it's already in the name.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Well, Selvadorada in Spanish means "Golden Jungle" so it's already in the name.

I keep wanting to say Selvadoria
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Here's another source of income I haven't seen discussed -- black bean splices. I swear they flower at least twice a day. I have eight of them right now -- one for each emotion berry and one for avocado, and my sims could support themselves on that alone. It would be ridiculously profitable splicing an expensive fruit to them.

What is the purpose of splicing two things together?
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    itslouis wrote: »
    > @Evoke said:
    > Yeah, when you weigh up the pros/cons it's actually quite dangerous way of making money lol. I mean my household has a lot of money now, but little Destiny will never get her Grandma back.

This.

The pack isn't even dangerous though. Poison seems to have a one week timer, fire and electricity gates can be avoided by....not...walking through them? Any curse or affliction your sim gets can pretty much be cured by interacting with the locals.

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Sometimes, you can splice two plants together to make a third. A lily and a snapdragon will create an orchid. An orchid spliced with a pomegranate will create a death flower.

In my game, I like using it to save space. I don't have to buy a bunch of planters to grow the things I want. I like to have two large planters. One for things that grow on trees, and the other will be four smaller spliced plants that will grow all the fruits and veggies my Sim will use while cooking meals.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee

Ok but you don't have to sell it and not everything is expensive and worth alot my sim has stuff that are only worth 400 dollars to 1000 I don't see how you can make 15k in one day doing that my sims archeology skill is high to its level 9.

It's already happening with many people. I've found a multitude of rare things worth 10,000 each! It's just a difference of opinion and I am in the group that wishes they could dial down the cheaty money that I feel like this pack offers. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE THIS GAME PACK! I just speak up when I have an opinion that I think needs to at least be looked at.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited March 2018

I never thought splicing the black bean with the avocados and berries. all three found in the jungle. and those berry trees are annoying. I wont use the berries or haven't yet.

as for commenting on the OP. I think its far too easy to get the skills and get money, especially selling them for 200% lol on the tables. must take that % down. But that aside, the worth of the relics are too high in my opinion. the bats, bees and spiders are annoying, does anyone know where the poison comes from?? what would be good is more puzzles. for instance your sim falls down a hole, but only solving the puzzle can he she get out. ideas are endless. I love the pack but it's too easy and too profitable. sorry got side tracked.
    edited March 2018
    > @Evoke said:

This.

The pack isn't even dangerous though. Poison seems to have a one week timer, fire and electricity gates can be avoided by....not...walking through them? Any curse or affliction your sim gets can pretty much be cured by interacting with the locals.
    Do you even have the game it's not a week timer it's only a day.

It's already happening with many people. I've found a multitude of rare things worth 10,000 each! It's just a difference of opinion and I am in the group that wishes they could dial down the cheaty money that I feel like this pack offers. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE THIS GAME PACK! I just speak up when I have an opinion that I think needs to at least be looked at.
    I get tired of people complaining about the game they never wanted or asked for. When I moved on to sims 4 the appeal was it was different it's not following other sims games. My point is I rather them add more things to keep me playing instead of fix thing that aren't important like making tons of money off collecting.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited March 2018
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Things have different flowering time; the more expensive produce usually takes longer to bloom than the cheaper stuff. If you splice an expensive plant to a cheap one, you have far faster flowering time for the expensive one. That is one I don't mind, btw -- you have to level gardening up to 5 in order to start splicing. But with my 8 spliced plants, I'm getting about 10 of each emotion berry and avocado and about I don't know how many black beans a day but the income is over 1k per day just for maybe a sim hour of work. If I spliced UFO plants, it would be even more.

I think OR's plants also flower quickly, but not as quickly.
    > @Evoke said:

This.

I get tired of people complaining about the game they never wanted or asked for. When I moved on to sims 4 the appeal was it was different it's not following other sims games. My point is I rather them add more things to keep me playing instead of fix thing that aren't important like making tons of money off collecting.

You do realize that these things aren't exclusive to each other? This game is built on progressive new packs and updates according to feedback that has happened. What you call "complaining" is constructive feedback. It's very necessary for a game and the gurus often ask for this feedback.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Some of us do like the game - just the way it is.
    I'm of the school - if it ain't broke - DON'T FIX IT!

I like JA just the way it is.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited March 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

You are entitled to that opinion. In defense of the topic I started, I never said it was "broke" but that there's a balance issue with the monetary rewards. I come to a message board to hear varying opinions on the game. It would be boring if we all thought alike.

You are entitled to that opinion. In defense of the topic I started, I never said it was "broke" but that there's a balance issue with the monetary rewards. I come to a message board to hear varying opinions on the game. It would be boring if we all thought alike.
    You know you can cheat to get money in the game so why is it so crucial they fix how much money you can earn collecting things in Jungle Adventure? I mean unless your sim spends weeks earning money to even vacation in Selvadorada people cheat to go on the trip.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641

You know you can cheat to get money in the game so why is it so crucial they fix how much money you can earn collecting things in Jungle Adventure? I mean unless your sim spends weeks earning money to even vacation in Selvadorada people cheat to go on the trip.

I don't like using the money cheat and the ease of pricey relics just feels cheaty to me sometimes. My thoughts are a valid observation. I never said this was "crucial fix". I enjoy this pack very much but I speak up when I notice something that could be improved. As I said we are all welcome to an opinion on the matter. It's what a forum is for after all.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    Well I do not sell the valuable and excellent quality items - my sims collects them - so they only sell the poor, common items. They do not make tons of money. In fact my sims trips/ expenses costs 2-3 times what she earns on the trips. She has also already mastered archeology, culture, and the dance as well. I don't use cheats at all or mods either. So for me it is like real life - vacation to the jungle cost my sims at least 2 times what she earns - like a real vacation does real people.

My sim is a collector as her hobby and has a career as an astronaut which she also uses to collect things. My sim always has to save her money to go on trips to further her hobbies as I do not let her cheat money. So perhaps in order to fix the game so things are not so easy to earn money - Maxis needs to remove the ability for the game to use mods and cheats. So with those removed then you all might perhaps see - played as designed with out cheats and mods (as a collector of the expensive items (as a collector and archeologist would actually do in real life) - your sims may not have it quite so easy.

Also I think splicing plant should only be usable to make a new plant - period, not to make dozens of the same plant to make money. They could slow down the grow time these rarer, high price plants take to grow - like in real life there are rare, exotic plants that literally take years to grow a single flower to produce a single seed.. They also do have the price way too high on many common plants as well - like blackberries. Those things in real life grow and spread like wildfire - and self plant themselves - they are way over priced. So perhaps they could re-figure the gardening some what. Most berries are easy to grow and should have a very cheap payout. So yes - I could see them making gardening a lot more difficult - like with staggered and varied growing times. Have the big money makers on produce something to harvest very rarely.

The game itself would be a lot more balanced just removing the abilty to use mods and cheats - or debug items period. I know as I play as if they are not there.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

I don't like using the money cheat and the ease of pricey relics just feels cheaty to me sometimes. My thoughts are a valid observation. I never said this was "crucial fix". I enjoy this pack very much but I speak up when I notice something that could be improved. As I said we are all welcome to an opinion on the matter. It's what a forum is for after all.
    My sims have only gone twice to Selvadorada yes they have collected stuff but they kept all the ones that were worth money as just collecting the stuff for their collections the only time I sold anything they collected was when it was crappy value and my sim sold the stuff on her own table at the Spice Market otherwise they kept a ton of the relics and artifacts. So now they pay more for bills because they are keeping it.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    > @Evoke said:

This.

Let it run out. You've only seen the first of four moodlets.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"