Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Archaeology makes it too easy to make money

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    It's very easy to make money. First time I went to the jungle for three days, completed the temple once, and ended up with a couple of 10k frogs. However, I didn't sell them. I just sell duplicates. Now I have a ridiculous tax bill that even the frugal trait doesn't stop.

With the archaeology aspiration finished (and it's very easy to finish), you can donate things to a museum for a buff. This is a good way of getting rid of inventory without getting paid for it.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    Come on guys, OP is describing a valid complaint that will probably be fixed soon, some of you guys are so adamant on defending the game, it's ok, but please avoid saying things like "It's not that bad", it's a problem, it doesn't makes the game unplayable, OP is just letting the devs know so they can fix it.

What are you talking about? The OP literally asked us "What do you think?", and people are telling them what they think. Naturally, some agree, and some disagree. It has nothing to do with "defending the game" or putting down his thoughts. But obviously, if someone doesn't see it as bad, doesn't see it as a problem, and doesn't think it's something that needs to be fixed, they're going to say it.

In my opinion, it's too easy to make money in the game in general. But considering there are plenty of other ways to make way more money than archaeology in way less time, I'm not seeing it as an issue that needs to be "fixed" by itself.

OP asked who agreed or not about it being too easy, I'm not talking about people who disagree about it being too easy, I'm talking about people who are like "Yeah, it's problematic but it doesn't make the game unplayable so who cares" or even "Yes this is problematic but there's X other stuff that is even more problematic so let's ignore this", if you get what I'm saying then good if not then I'll not bother answering this further, just saying, it's not good feedback.

Anyway, there's other skills that, once maxed out, do give a lot of money, however none of them are this instantaneous, I challenge you to, from scratch, gain $20k in just 5 days with Writing without using cheats.

I went back and read every response. The only thing I saw were helpful simmers making suggestions on how to use the collected items or money earned from selling them.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Come on guys, OP is describing a valid complaint that will probably be fixed soon, some of you guys are so adamant on defending the game, it's ok, but please avoid saying things like "It's not that bad", it's a problem, it doesn't makes the game unplayable, OP is just letting the devs know so they can fix it.

What are you talking about? The OP literally asked us "What do you think?", and people are telling them what they think. Naturally, some agree, and some disagree. It has nothing to do with "defending the game" or putting down his thoughts. But obviously, if someone doesn't see it as bad, doesn't see it as a problem, and doesn't think it's something that needs to be fixed, they're going to say it.

In my opinion, it's too easy to make money in the game in general. But considering there are plenty of other ways to make way more money than archaeology in way less time, I'm not seeing it as an issue that needs to be "fixed" by itself.

OP asked who agreed or not about it being too easy, I'm not talking about people who disagree about it being too easy, I'm talking about people who are like "Yeah, it's problematic but it doesn't make the game unplayable so who cares" or even "Yes this is problematic but there's X other stuff that is even more problematic so let's ignore this", if you get what I'm saying then good if not then I'll not bother answering this further, just saying, it's not good feedback.

Anyway, there's other skills that, once maxed out, do give a lot of money, however none of them are this instantaneous, I challenge you to, from scratch, gain $20k in just 5 days with Writing without using cheats.

I can easily make 20k a day painting and with the club system. Just carious have you played the new GP? If you have you should tell us your experience. I’m not trying to be rude I’m just really carious what your doing different to find the high $$$ relics. All I ever find is fakes an poor quality items 1 or 2 rares and I spend like so much just going on vacation and cureing curses and such. Not to say I don’t make $ but it’s a take home of like half.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,848 Member
    edited March 2018
    @Cheekybits I know you didn't ask me but here are two different saves when I got the treasures that were worth more.
    I also have a tenk plate, though I only sold one of the frogs while the rest are on displayed I think it's more of a gamer management thing when it comes to making money I don't spam work on writing and painting so I wouldn't spam just going on digs and selling everything.
    Just depends on the player I guess.
    40484697122_ba1419220a_b.jpg
    39642902955_56879660e1_b.jpg
    Also that second pic was without going to a temple this was an account from the little popups.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
    @RedDestiny92 thanks for sharing. I find that frog in temples sometimes but more so my sim gets cursed or blessed. Also my sim is trying to save up so her brother can move out to a decent house. So I guess in that aspect 10k isn’t really a lot. I can see how making money is really easy with this though if you had just started out but my sims go through a lot when they are there so if I got like 1k for the good ones I’d wouldnt go as much. My sims been there 4 times and made about 32k all together.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member

Where in this thread did anyone say anything like that? Either I'm simply missing it or you're calling out an imaginary argument.. as for what reason, I have no idea.

Second, this isn't the feedback section. This is the pack discussion section. It's not anyone's responsibility here to leave "good feedback" because that isn't the purpose of the thread.

I don't get why being "instantaneous" matters at all. It takes at most two or three days to max any given skill, so it's really not all that much of an inconvenience. Even if I didn't want to max a skill out, though, I would still just choose a retail store or a sales table over archaeology. You can make a sim a millionaire with those in under a week without any skill at all.

Like I said, I can relate to the idea that it's way too easy to make money in the game. But of all the money making methods I've used personally, archaeology barely passes "above average", so I'm not seeing a reason to nerf archaeology specifically when it's much more involved and much more dangerous than anything else.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I've said this before...none of my sims are millionaires, most hardly have more than $100,000 in fact. I like to take the skilling easy, usually to do other things accumulating skill points. I've only been to the jungle once and now sim is back home authenticating but most are under $1000 simeoleans. I like sending sims to the marketplace and cantina. Devs knocked themselves out making beautiful sims for Selvadorda. Never been to the temple or even a tomb, yet. I like taking my time.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, lol. But my sims are far from rich, and always have been. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    edited March 2018
    I didn’t see anybody mention that when you get up to level 8-10 or so the Archeological Socitey will mail you item to authenticate and mail back. They are all worth 3K to 5K per day. My sim is getting rich sitting at home and working like 20-30 sims minutes a day and he hasn’t been to the jungle one time. He learned it by reading the books. But, painting is kind of the same money maker when you’re at a high level. Or, just try a garden of Dragonfruit or Blackberries. You’ll be rolling in the dough in no time. Making money is fairly easy in the game.
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    edited March 2018
    Cheekybits wrote: »

I can easily make 20k a day painting and with the club system. Just carious have you played the new GP? If you have you should tell us your experience. I’m not trying to be rude I’m just really carious what your doing different to find the high $$$ relics. All I ever find is fakes an poor quality items 1 or 2 rares and I spend like so much just going on vacation and cureing curses and such. Not to say I don’t make $ but it’s a take home of like half.

I created a single Sim and then fresh from CAS I sent him to Selvadorada, he had about 4k when he went and then, after a 3-day travel, he came back with 26k in his account and Level 7 Archaelogy, I did spend a lot on equipment, but then I found two of those 10k frogs which was a major contributing factor.

Mind you, this is not minmaxing gameplay, I didn't use cheaty aspects of the game, I simply played the expansion's content normally, lost my Machete once and had to go back to get another, went back to my house to take care of necessities, chatted with locals and learned their culture...

It's one thing if you minmax your way through skills like Painting and Writing using cheaty things like Club rewards and Enviromental items and make your Sim spend their entire day doing that skill, it's another if you just play the content normally and end up like this.
    Marktn wrote: »
    I didn’t see anybody mention that when you get up to level 8-10 or so the Archeological Socitey will mail you item to authenticate and mail back. They are all worth 3K to 5K per day. My sim is getting rich sitting at home and working like 20-30 sims minutes a day and he hasn’t been to the jungle one time. He learned it by reading the books. But, painting is kind of the same money maker when you’re at a high level. Or, just try a garden of Dragonfruit or Blackberries. You’ll be rolling in the dough in no time. Making money is fairly easy in the game.

Oh, good to know that after going to Selvadorada once I have no reason to ever come back.

I created a single Sim and then fresh from CAS I sent him to Selvadorada, he had about 4k when he went and then, after a 3-day travel, he came back with 26k in his account and Level 7 Archaelogy, I did spend a lot on equipment, but then I found two of those 10k frogs which was a major contributing factor.

Mind you, this is not minmaxing gameplay, I didn't use cheaty aspects of the game, I simply played the expansion's content normally, lost my Machete once and had to go back to get another, went back to my house to take care of necessities, chatted with locals and learned their culture...

It's one thing if you minmax your way through skills like Painting and Writing using cheaty things like Club rewards and Enviromental items and make your Sim spend their entire day doing that skill, it's another if you just play the content normally and end up like this.

Oh, good to know that after going to Selvadorada once I have no reason to ever come back.

Not what I intended, but that’s one way to look at it, I guess. I like the world and will take several of my sims there. I also love the content. My point was that it allows you to make a lot of money without tons of effort and time and without risking your sim’s life. I was skilling my sim up to take him there and is how I discovered it was possible.
  • EvokeEvoke Posts: 416 Member

But when you're an expert in the skill, then you should be earning high $$. It isn't like something you're being forced to do in order to live.
    S9d2la2.png
    Youtube || Website
    Tutorials, tips, tricks, lets plays for Sims 4
    edited March 2018
    Evoke wrote: »

But when you're an expert in the skill, then you should be earning high $$. It isn't like something you're being forced to do in order to live.

Agreed, my sim’s story is that he is a leading archeologist that freelances with the archeology socitey and will go on excavation trips to build up a museums collection of Omiscan artifacts. In this one Archeology is his job, so I’m happy he can make money this way. I view his reading books as course work and love that he can write a book about his work as “continued studies”.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,848 Member
    @Cheekybits no prob, haven't been cursed or blessed by frogs yet guess we'll see my sim just cursed his wife on accident so I have to see about getting the curse removed. However one wants to play it it's either a lot a money or it isn't but I like the plate so I think I'll just keep it as a really fancy decor item.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I agree.

My sim went for three days on her second trip. She maximised the archaeology skill, got through the jungle with only a tent and grilled cheese and was happy/flirty/focused/confident throughout despite the negative buffs. She came home with 36,000 simoleans. Doesn’t matter that many of her artifacts are fake. They are selling for over 300 simoleans. She hasn’t bothered to go through all of her loot as quite frankly she doesn’t need to.

I’m sorry but it shouldn’t be that easy. She’s now getting artifaxts sent to her every day. Now I see why they didn’t bother giving us an actual archaeological career, there is no need. Your sim will make more money pretending. Making money is so easy in general. What is the point of there even being fake treasures if they are going to sell for a decent profit. A day of selling fake artifacts will earn your sim more money than an entry level job.

And I know, I know. Cheat the money away, donate it to charity. But should the player have to resort to cheating to give the game consequence? I’m not convinced.
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    I haven't found this so far actually. I'm just starting my third trip to Selvadorada and my Sim is on level 7 Archaeology. Because it takes so long to excavate and authenticate the artifacts I'm struggling to see how others have earned so much so quickly. In fairness though I'm travelling solo so maybe that's why it seems to be taking longer for me than others.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Evoke wrote: »

Agreed, my sim’s story is that he is a leading archeologist that freelances with the archeology socitey and will go on excavation trips to build up a museums collection of Omiscan artifacts. In this one Archeology is his job, so I’m happy he can make money this way. I view his reading books as course work and love that he can write a book about his work as “continued studies”.

The best-paying career in the base game pays 15k per week. An explorer can make that in a single day. This is absolutely obscene amounts of money in terms of balance. A Sim using archaeology can make the amount of money that the best-paying career in the game can make in an entire week with just one temple visit. There even seems to be a mailing system where your sim is mailed relics back home and they make money that way. The one I saw received 5k for one analyzed relic and had another one waiting the next day.

There is a difference between being self-sufficient and being broken in terms of balancing game elements. I had worries money would be the main reward of the pack since money is a lazy, easy-to-execute reward, and sure enough here we are. I personally think it tends to be harder to keep Sims poor than it is to become rich, so packs like this bother me. Packs like this welcome elements of "power creep" where each new pack can't think of a new way to be special, so they just opt to do what the last pack did, except even better. This pack seemed to fall flat on rewards, and here we are with Sims earning more than they've ever earned before. What happens with the next pack...?
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I meannnnnnn likeee...
    In reality, if you sold a priceless artifact youd get a plumload of money...
    I know this is a game, and personally i pick and choose what id want to be realistic or not in this game (I want sims to sleep at night=realistic. I also like males impregnated by aliens=unrealistic). But i think that's what they were going for here.
    Sure, if you sold a priceless artifact in the real world, you'd get a ton of money. But how likely is it for you to get two priceless artifacts from one tour? And I often get more than that just excavating. And that's not including the more mundane things I get dozens of per trip that sell between $400 - $900.

I personally don't mind it but I get the objection. I donate a lot of things for the buff, but my Sims are so crazy rich after a few weeks that there's no point in doing anything but playing and then going on an overnight to the jungle every once in awhile just because.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Thanks for all of the replies! I also wanted to add that I've only gotten a counterfeit ONCE. What is everyone's counterfeit to genuine ratio?
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the replies! I also wanted to add that I've only gotten a counterfeit ONCE. What is everyone's counterfeit to genuine ratio?

Hm like 6/10 counterfeit and 8/10 poor quality
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    You can go to that little park in Oasis Springs and fish up a violin for 15k. You don't even need to buy a fishing pole or bait. :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
    You can go to that little park in Oasis Springs and fish up a violin for 15k. You don't even need to buy a fishing pole or bait. :p

That violin is a rare drop competing with about 20 other potential catches in the same pool. The 15k from archaeology/exploring is a 100% guarentee every single temple run.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

That violin is a rare drop competing with about 20 other potential catches in the same pool. The 15k from archaeology/exploring is a 100% guarentee every single temple run.

Not that I expect it's especially difficult to get that violin (though I'm sure you'll go ahead and protest it anyway), but ok, you can start up a store (which requires little more than buying the smallest empty lot possible and the few things like the register to get it going) and then sell that violin for 300% markup the very same day. Then you can use that 45k to sell three more violins, then 9 more, ...

You can eventually write books so well (in less than a week) that you can get $5k-10k EVERY SINGLE DAY through royalties, at which point you don't have to do anything but maybe write one more book per week.

You can just go around collecting stuff from neighborhoods and sell it for more than $15k a week.

You can go get a random Sim to move in with you in a matter of minutes, just by talking to them. They bring in $20k with them. Then you can kick them out. They don't take that money when they go.

There are dozens of ways to make more than 15k a week. Careers in this game are probably the slowest ways to make money. Be a painter. Be a writer. Be a gardener. Be a retail shop runner. Be a crafter and sell stuff using that yard sale table thing.

I'm sorry but 'making money' in this game has never been difficult. The idea that JA somehow makes it even easier is ridiculous. Why? Because it takes longer there almost any time than just to use any method I've mentioned. And everyone seems to forget JA is a vacation world. It's meant to go there once in awhile, not to stay there, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.

Not that I expect it's especially difficult to get that violin (though I'm sure you'll go ahead and protest it anyway), but ok, you can start up a store (which requires little more than buying the smallest empty lot possible and the few things like the register to get it going) and then sell that violin for 300% markup the very same day. Then you can use that 45k to sell three more violins, then 9 more, ...

You can eventually write books so well (in less than a week) that you can get $5k-10k EVERY SINGLE DAY through royalties, at which point you don't have to do anything but maybe write one more book per week.

You can just go around collecting stuff from neighborhoods and sell it for more than $15k a week.

You can go get a random Sim to move in with you in a matter of minutes, just by talking to them. They bring in $20k with them. Then you can kick them out. They don't take that money when they go.

There are dozens of ways to make more than 15k a week. Careers in this game are probably the slowest ways to make money. Be a painter. Be a writer. Be a gardener. Be a retail shop runner. Be a crafter and sell stuff using that yard sale table thing.

I'm sorry but 'making money' in this game has never been difficult. The idea that JA somehow makes it even easier is ridiculous. Why? Because it takes longer there almost any time than just to use any method I've mentioned. And everyone seems to forget JA is a vacation world. It's meant to go there once in awhile, not to stay there, lol.

Go fish. That violin (if even in the pool and assuming you're not confusing it with the cheaper one, which is caught in the exact same pool) is competing with Pirahnas, Captain Bones, Gummy fish, Angelfish, Red-Tailed Sharks, the cheaper violin, lemons, voodoo dolls, Cowplant Berries, Sturgeons, Rainbow fish, Bass, Catfish, Beta fish, Anglerfish, Salmons, and any other number of pack content such as Cichlids. It is not a common drop, and yes there's a lot of things that can be caught in it's place.

You're also not comparing the effort going into this stuff. Writing books to make 15k a week demands your Sim basically do nothing but write for two solid weeks. After two weeks pass, that 15k is back to zero and demands you repeat the process. Archaeology comparitively hits a point where for one hour per day, you can make 5k. It's one initial time sink to level the skill, then a permanent 5k per day (seemingly, can't confirm but from what I saw it absolutely seemed daily) alongside any other profits made. Music for example can only hope to achieve 2k a day or so. Painting would demand more time for the same cost, as does writing.

And you're not even accounting for the fact there's a reward aspiration to increase rewards from exploring. I have not seen how much of a boost that reward trait gives, but seeing as how we're STARTING with a 15k minimum, I suspect it's gonna be at least 30k per day. It also doesn't account for the artifact whose power is "I give money lol."

This is hands down the easiest way to make money in the game and slaughters the competition in terms of time/cost effectiveness. As I said, for myself I hate this kind of stuff because the game is already easy enough as it is. It also makes me worry we'll see more of this in the future, because as I said, I feel cash is one of the most dull and boring rewards there is, but also the easiest to develop.

edited March 2018
    Well, with the violin, I've never had the 12k one (that's what it sells for -- I use them for money transfers for my sim kids), just the cheaper one. And it's rare. I never have gotten 4 of them in a couple of hours. Ever.

The most profitable thing to fish are, well, fish -- sturgeon. And you can't sell them at the flea market.