Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About 3 and a half years into Sims 4, how would you rate it?

Comments

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2018
    I think some people will start giving it 8s, 9s, and 10s, once Seasons and University come out.

Maybe! If those EPs are done well. :)

And when I say done well, I hope that the EPs are game-changers as far as the Sims are concerned. Weather and a couple of activities won't change what's wrong with TS4. At least, it won't change anything for me.

I'm looking for Sims to once again feel like little people with minds and dreams of their own. That was the charm of the series. TS4 Sims are puppets, easily manipulated by the things that are placed in their environments. Personality and behavior don't originate from within.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • giveit2megiveit2me Posts: 37 Member
    edited March 2018
    5/10 with CC and mods
    4/10 without CC and mods

I have almost of all gp/ep/sp for sims 4(except spooky stuff and toddlers stuff and i will skip jungle pack, but if sims 4 became better someday, i will buy every missed pack).

I am playing sims since 2002. I was be in love with sims 4 and had huge hopes for this game.
    But this game became being american political tool, as non american customer i am offended.
    If not all of furniture and other build/buy CC makers, i was quit sims since end 2015-2016 and never bother again, ever.
    I hope sims became better, but it feel like all this "progress" are regress actually, this is so sad.
    If they will say that they are start sims 5 in close future, it will be last time when i care any news about sims.

I really wish to love sims 4, but this game give me stress every time when i try to play it, there are not many things what fit my game style preference in game.
    My real life world much better than sim one and i really have no reason to play this game.

+
    1) i like how smooth game work even with many cc and mods,
    2) i like sims 4 graphic and camera,
    3) i like CAS "skeleton" setting, it really possible to make different sims,
    4) i like that some of my favourite things come-back in sims 4

-
    1) this game feeling empty, for many reasons, but in general it just empty and lifeless
    2) limits in everything and limits as low as possible that it became insulting
    3) game give all the time same style of content for same auditory and other auditory just ignored
    4) wrong priority in content updates
    5) i do not like how narcissistic sims4 PR and those in team who decide what they will create
    Post edited by giveit2me on
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    I think some people will start giving it 8s, 9s, and 10s, once Seasons and University come out.

And when I say done well, I hope that the EPs are game-changers as far as the Sims are concerned. Weather and a couple of activities won't change what's wrong with TS4. At least, it won't change anything for me.

I'm looking for Sims to once again feel like little people with minds and dreams of their own. That was the charm of the series. TS4 Sims are puppets, easily manipulated by the things that are placed in their environments. Personality and behavior don't originate from within.
    In Sims 4 many things were replaced by autonomy and multitasking. This means that Sims 4 sims have less memory, less important feelings, less family stories and less neighborhood stories. But to me the increased autonomy and the multitasking were far from worth it. I would very much have preferred the other things to have been improved instead.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @giveit2me You worded it exactly how I feel it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

The troubles with TS4 cannot be solved by EPs, SPs or GPs as they're in the base game.

The only way to solve that would be a complete rewrite.

raw
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    I'd give it 9/10
  • estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    1 out of 10. Zero really, if the option was there.

I mean, I like the art? Otherwise, 3 years and after having all the stuff, game and expansion packs, I still feel like the game is not far from what the base game was. At this point, I am no longer hopeful that this game will get any better. I know. I know, if I think this game is hopeless, then why do I still buy it's DLCs? Well, I thought it would be fair to judge a game without actually playing the game. Most of the content is just hyped. Cats and Dogs was hyped, but after a day or two, I got bored. The most common "thing" I find myself doing when I play my game is standing somewhere and wondering what I should be doing. There is nothing to do in this game. if you go out to what is suppose to be the world, there is nothing to do! Maybe seat in a bench? or dig a whole? lol. the world my sims are living in is not only small, but it's mostly the same interaction anywhere else. There is NOTHING to do. I did not mind that you load when you want to go in between lots, annoying but that was what the Sims 2 was, and I love that game. But the worlds are completely empty and repetitive. There is NOTHING special about them. Then again, maybe that's why I voted for 1 out of 10, because they do look beautiful-- just really pathetic.
    edited March 2018
    Evil_One wrote: »

The troubles with TS4 cannot be solved by EPs, SPs or GPs as they're in the base game.

There may be some truth to your statement. Yet, I don't believe that it is wholly true. There are still things that can be done to breathe more life into the Sims of this version. At this very moment, there are mod creators who are doing more toward this end than anything that I have seen EA do. So, it is possible.

My hope is that the development team is already hard at work on substantive improvements to the TS4 Sims. The frustrating part is not knowing whether or not they are. This version of the game is operating under a heavy cloak of secrecy. So, the dilemma is: keep on waiting and hoping that improvements are just around the bend (similar to how toddlers suddenly showed up, unannounced)? Or, waste time hoping for something that will never come?

Employees at EA are the only ones who know for sure whether or not hope is unfounded. I could, personally, be setting myself up for a hard fall. Still, it's very difficult for me to accept that EA has intentionally created a game that will end up skipping all of the features that created so much joy in the previous three games.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    3/10

I think TS4 has come a long way. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it. And I think a lot of hard work has been put into it.

My grievances with TS4 undoubtedly stem from being a long time Sim player. I was disappointed with TS3, and it pretty much killed my passion for the game. I stuck to TS2 for many years until I couldn't get over the feeling that the game was starting to become outdated, as fun as it was.

I think TS4 missed the mark on a lot. I think their inability to innovate forward instead of backwards was a huge reason as to why the game failed in my eyes. At the same time, their stakeholders and CEO's are going by sales numbers, so if a lot of people are buying the game and the profits are good, then who cares what I think I guess.

Here are a few features which I really wanted for the game:
    • Open Neighbourhoods - I didn't need an open world. I wanted open neighbourhoods. Maybe TS3 was too ambitious with creating the open world because the coding was a nightmare and the game ate up a ton of resources once it was layered with expansion packs. The funny thing is that people still loved playing the game despite how resource intensive it was. TS2 had coding issues as well. People still loved playing that despite its faults. So I think the game should have been pushing beyond single-instance lots into multiple-instance neighbourhoods. That, to me, would have been a happy medium between single instance lots and open world. Call me crazy.
    • World Editor - I think this would have made the game a lot better. And it could have been an answer to the lack of open world/neighbourhood issue, or at least diminished the issue for me. Had I been able to manipulate the world my Sims was living in, maybe I wouldn't have yearned so much for an open neighbourhood. Because the main reason was that I felt like there was nothing to do after a while without a loading screen. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind loading screens, but making the game itself as seamless as possible is pretty much a given for the modern era of game design. My idea for a world editor was to be able to not only edit the terrain of the world but also to place objects as well. I wanted to create worlds with secret passages and hidden rooms. I wanted to add objects to the town square in Forgotten Hollow to make it seem more relevant. It would also help with story-telling efforts as a player would be able to create a townhall meeting or a festival by placing objects around the world. It would make the world feel more alive. I rarely use my Sims to actually go around the neighbourhood. Since there is nothing to do around the neighbourhoods except sit on picnic tables or play chess, I would rather jump from a house to a bar or a restaurant instead of running around the neighbourhood going for jogs and eating hotdogs.
    • Open Storytelling - I don't really know how to describe this one. Maybe it's just me being nit picky. But I wanted TS4 to depart from linear gameplay and move into providing features that were more open. I definitely think they have been trying to do this for the past little while, but there are so many things that could open up the storytelling abilities that stray from following a linear path. I don't really feel like the game has reached that point where there are vast amounts of open storytelling options. I think they should have built that foundation with the first few EP's. I don't think that foundation was ever really built though.

It also doesn't help that all the EP's have been mediocre for me. I think the GP's have been way better ... DO, Vampires, Parenthood ... I haven't had a chance to play Jungle Adventure yet, but it looks decent. I don't know, the GP's have all been way more appealing than the EP's ever have. I guess C&D is an alright EP but it's not amazing.

I don't know really. The Sims 4 is really flawed in my eyes. I don't understand why they would make the game super basic in the name of "appealing to as many people as possible" when the game was always known to push the boundaries. There's also the bugs and glitches. I've never experienced so many bugs and glitches like I have with TS4.

Shadows are also a pet peeve of mine. Instead of the light source seamlessly going down, changing the direction/shape of shadows and transitioning into night, the light source moves in very obvious "stages", making the shadow animations very noticeably jerky ... I'm not sure how to explain this. If you are curious about what I'm talking about, here's a video link. (CLICK HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dQXsqZVw3A)

Anyway, that's basically a small review that I have of the game. I'm sure there's a ton I'm leaving out. Point is, the game is flawed. I tried giving the game time to grow and develop, but I'm not seeing the growth and development I would like to see. They are adding layers to the game, but it feels very short lived.

Generally, I would prefer to see way less SP's, more GP's, and better EP's.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    > @Simulator4 said:
    > I sure hope none of those rating it 5/10 or less are still buying and playing. That's quite sad.

I haven't bought it at all. I tried my friend's copy of Sims 4 on his computer and I'm totally devastated that it didn't progress from Sims 3. I gave Sims 4 a 3/10. I look in on his game every time some SP, GP or EP comes out in hopes of seeing it improve, but I still find myself not wanting to buy it.

But if EA wants to make some extra money from me to go toward development of Sims 5, then they should starting making new content for Sims 3 again for purchase at the store: new worlds, new venues, new premium items, new sets, etc. I almost have everything that's sold at the store and I am willing to buy any news ones!

PS - EA, PLEASE make Sims 5 a progression of Sims 3! All you need to is clean up the bugs and build on what is already in Sims 3 with updated graphics. I think one of the reasons why Sims 3 can get sluggish was that it really pushed the boundaries of the computer's memory but the current computers have caught up. So PLEASE, for Sims 5, PLEASE build on Sims 3! Long Live Open World and CASt!
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    3/10
    This game stills feels empty, boring an rushed after more than 3 years.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited March 2018
    I give it a 6.
    Because of all the still missing features.
    For its never ending stuff packs.
    Because of its endless issues.

Had this been when this game was released. I would of added a 2.so its improved.

But it is better for me now than when it came out so happy to give it an extra 4.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• 0xx_Simmer_xx00xx_Simmer_xx0 Posts: 196 Member
    The animations are smooth and creative but we need more packs that will actually benefit the game. I think TS4 Developers should include the community more when creating packs because some people are so creative and most people actually want their ideas.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

There may be some truth to your statement. Yet, I don't believe that it is wholly true. There are still things that can be done to breathe more life into the Sims of this version. At this very moment, there are mod creators who are doing more toward this end than anything that I have seen EA do. So, it is possible.

My hope is that the development team is already hard at work on substantive improvements to the TS4 Sims. The frustrating part is not knowing whether or not they are. This version of the game is operating under a heavy cloak of secrecy. So, the dilemma is: keep on waiting and hoping that improvements are just around the bend (similar to how toddlers suddenly showed up, unannounced)? Or, waste time hoping for something that will never come?

Employees at EA are the only ones who know for sure whether or not hope is unfounded. I could, personally, be setting myself up for a hard fall. Still, it's very difficult for me to accept that EA has intentionally created a game that will end up skipping all of the features that created so much joy in the previous three games.

Stuff like, open worlds, improved personality system, world editor, CASt, terrain tools, pond tools, ETC will all require a rewrite.

The game's design is totally rigid.
    raw
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited March 2018
    I must admit after one year of Toddler Pets Mania, my vote decrease to 6 out of 10.

9 months of "EAsy money" packs and still nothing fun to do in the game 3 years later.
    When will we get new content ? I mean "valuable" content for a "valuable IP".

• BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    I goofed and rated it 7/10. I want to say 6/10.

The game has very strong points for stability, animations, voices, graphics, CAS and music. It's still entertaining to me, but something's amiss, I get bored too quickly. I could name a few things that made this a semi-flop : no open world, no possibility to build apartments, low poly furniture, very limited world customization, too utopian, bland expansions, slow development, high cost involved in making the game interesting, some game breaking bugs, limited career choices and boring style to name a few.
    BlueOvale wrote: »

The game has very strong points for stability, animations, voices, graphics, CAS and music. It's still entertaining to me, but something's amiss, I get bored too quickly. I could name a few things that made this a semi-flop : no open world, no possibility to build apartments, low poly furniture, very limited world customization, too utopian, bland expansions, slow development, high cost involved in making the game interesting, some game breaking bugs, limited career choices and boring style to name a few.

This is a very succinct description of the game. And, from my point of view, it's also incredibly accurate. I keep waiting for that one pack to come along that changes my mind. It's a good thing that I haven't been holding my breath. After the Cats & Dogs expansion, expansion, it's probably time to admit defeat and to just move on.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • JulieJLynnJulieJLynn Posts: 39 Member
    It's come a long way since it first launched and overall I think it's a great game. It does feel empty though and needs more things to fill it out and make it more complete.
    edited March 2018

Stuff like, open worlds, improved personality system, world editor, CASt, terrain tools, pond tools, ETC will all require a rewrite.

The game's design is totally rigid.

I didn't ask for any of the things that you've mentioned, except for an improved personality. That is something that I believe is still possible. The foundation has already been laid. All that's required is better implementation.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Azarinop2Azarinop2 Posts: 776 Member
    3/10. I own and have played every SP, GP and EPs.

Bring on the Sims 5. Let the Sims 2 vibe come back as a sequel in the Sims 5 !!
    Me on a spiritual level
    30vnk7k.gif
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2018
    BlueOvale wrote: »

This is a very succinct description of the game. And, from my point of view, it's also incredibly accurate. I keep waiting for that one pack to come along that changes my mind. It's a good thing that I haven't been holding my breath. After the Cats & Dogs expansion, expansion, it's probably time to admit defeat and to just move on.

I'm extremely close to that point myself. The game had a horrible launch with missing features, delayed base game content, and lack of communication. The one way it was to improve was through the packs, however, they are dropping the ball with virtually every one of them.
  • ZaldaZalda Posts: 4 New Member
    I love the graphics style in Sims 4 so so much, but (like most everyone else) am very disappointed in the lack of game play and content compared to the other Sims games.
    edited March 2018
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I'm extremely close to that point myself. The game had a horrible launch with missing features, delayed base game content, and lack of communication. The one way it was to improve was through the packs, however, they are dropping the ball with virtually every one of them.

Yep. And everything is excuses, excuses, excuses: it's too hard, it will take too long, it will be too expensive. The latest thing is: "we wanted to try something new." That excuse being used to explain why Cats & Dogs was released as a purposely empty shell. A shell that was meant to be filled with subsequent SPs and GPs. My First Pet Stuff was clearly in development at the same times as the EP that it should have been included in.

To give a bit of perspective:

TS3 came with cats, dogs, birds, rodents, and snakes. Plus, cats and dogs had proper beds (not rugs), outdoor houses, and a variety of toys to play with (other than 5,000 different balls). Pets could sleep on beds and outright destroy the furniture if they weren't properly trained. AND the team still managed to introduce a life form that was totally new to the series.

Horses could be ridden all over the map, befriended, trained, groomed, and raced (though the races were text adventure style). IIRC, horses also came with a new career and aspiration. In addition, the horses were supported by obstacle course objects, feeding troughs, barn stalls, salt 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and a ball object. The training was not purposeless. It could be used to win competitions. Oh, and horses came with a host of new build objects to help players to create a believable horse barn.

For giggles, the team threw in an elusive unicorn and dogs could hunt for items anywhere -- not through a buy/debug object that is always in the same place, they could hunt anywhere. Hunting was a proper skill that could be seen. You could also see if your dog was hungry, or tired, or lonely, or about to pass away from old age.

All of that was accomplished while still giving the fans something new. So, what, exactly, is TS4's issue?

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2018
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Yep. And everything is excuses, excuses, excuses: it's too hard, it will take too long, it will be too expensive. The latest thing is: "we wanted to try something new." That excuse being used to explain why Cats & Dogs was released as a purposely empty shell. A shell that was meant to be filled with subsequent SPs and GPs. My First Pet Stuff was clearly in development at the same times as the EP that it should have been included in.

To give a bit of perspective:

TS3 came with cats, dogs, birds, rodents, and snakes. Plus, cats and dogs had proper beds (not rugs), outdoor houses, and a variety of toys to play with (other than 5,000 different balls). Pets could sleep on beds and outright destroy the furniture if they weren't properly trained. AND the team still managed to introduce a life form that was totally new to the series.

Horses could be ridden all over the map, befriended, trained, groomed, and raced (though the races were text adventure style). IIRC, horses also came with a new career and aspiration. In addition, the horses were supported by obstacle course objects, feeding troughs, barn stalls, salt plum and a ball object. The training was not purposeless. It could be used to win competitions. Oh, and horses came with a host of new build objects to help players to create a believable horse barn.

For giggles, the team threw in an elusive unicorn and dogs could hunt for items anywhere -- not through a buy/debug object that is always in the same place, they could hunt anywhere. Hunting was a proper skill that could be seen. You could also see if your dog was hungry, or tired, or lonely, or about to pass away from old age.

All of that was accomplished while still giving the fans something new. So, what, exactly, is TS4's issue?

If I read correctly, they said they chose to add the new vet career over the smaller pets, however, the vet career uses a ton of code recycled from GTW's doctor career, with minor adjustments. If it took them that long to create the vet career, then there is obviously a problem with development itself.

See, all of that is my thing though. The Sims 3: Pets was arguably the most vastly improved remake expansion of The Sims 3. The series introduction of horses was just incredible. The Sims 4 had a tough act to follow. And how does EA do that? They first cut the expansion to only include cats and dogs. Then, EA gives them limited items to interact with (they each only have ONE bed, both of which are more so rugs). On top of this, they decide to launch that $10.00 stuff pack, with content which, in the past, went in the expansion in one go for a flat price of $40.00. I said it before, but it's just mind boggling; they want us to pay $50.00 for what is still a fraction of The Sims 3: Pets. We're still not going to have the complete experience of the expansion that we should!

TS3, at this point in time, had World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Lunar Lakes, Lucky Palms, Sunlit Tides, Monte Vista, Aurora Skies, and every stuff pack up to 70s, 80s & 90s Stuff. We are NOWHERE near that amount of content in TS4, 4 years later. Cutting corners and nickel and diming us is not how you mend that.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    7/10 It is a good game but not as great as it used to be. The quality content of packs has decreased.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top