Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

raise your hand if you don't use cc or mods

Comments

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    @CyrusTheLoser

Agreed

CC is not an issue if you're willing to do the research and to basically RT_M. I've never had a game-breaking problem with any mod. That's because there are steps that should be taken any time that a game is patched.

If a mod causes a problem, don't save. Exit. Remove the mod, clear the cache files and you're good to go.

@ragefire88, I agree with you as well. The housekeeping steps that you've mentioned are all imperative in order to keep a healthy game. Know what you're getting into. Organize. Test when there's a new patch.

It's also important to keep more than one save file. That goes for any game, with or without CC. If you don't want any heartaches, always save twice. From my Fallout days, I've learned that it's also better to make a new save every time by doing a "Save As". If you keep saving over the same file over and over again, something can eventually become corrupted and there goes your entire game.

A paranoid player (like me) always has ten save files going for each game. Each time I create a new save, I delete the oldest one. In that way, I always have an earlier point to return to if something does go wrong.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    *raising my hand* I use pack content and #moo
    Although mods and cc are pretty, I just don't think that they fit with the general graphics. I can also just see glitches and slow loading screens and other nightmare on elm street things happening. I'm appreciative of the content with what The Sims gives us.
    So yeah!

I am the opposite.
    I want to change the general graphics and I take great joy in subverting the art style with custom content. >:)
    I don't experience slow loading screens because I have two M.2 NVME SSDs on the motherboard. It's actually gotten faster since the new patch.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    *raising my hand*
    I am not using any CC or mods o:)
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    LishacakeLishacake Posts: 296 Member
    What skin are you using? @Lishacake
    I'm using Kumikya's Toffee skinblend.
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    *raises both hands* I've been playing without mods & cc since TS1.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    ScarletonScarleton Posts: 55 Member
    I find the stuff modders make to just be beautiful. Plus, some MODs even help the game run better in a fixing bugs way and/or genetics way. Truthfully, yeah some MODs cause mess ups, but they're usually super easy to fix; definitely if you're organized with your downloads. Also, with CC, there is a program that lets you detect broken mods so they're easily accessed to either fix (usually it is a missing mesh file) or just delete. The MODs that tend to glitch the game are usually either old or include a pack that you actually don't have, easy fixes of delete, make sure you don't have two of the same type of file, or download the new file. Modding a game is usually not a hassle, and can be fun. I usually always get sucked in when I am CC shopping.

Overall, I gotta keep my hand down.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    ragefire88 wrote: »
    > @ldmarko said:
    > I don't use them either. I've used a few in the past & have found them to be more trouble than they're worth.

Trouble?
    Wow I must have some serious luck ...
    I literally Have very few issues only have to pull mods out
    ( I have my folders organized cause I have great idea on what dies with each BIG update or pack) the Pets game broke alot but was very easy to fix ..
    I guess if your used to modding this isnt a big deal? ..
    If you know how to get mods, organize them you open the door to WONDERFUL things want to be a mermaid there is a mod that does that and gives u a tail when u get in water, want to be a fairy there is a mod for that too there recent mods but still open the door to limitless possibilitys ESPECIALLY when EA gets bored of Sims 4 or 2019 we could get a New sims ? 5 years they release new sims... Trust me mods save the game if you get the right ones if not its just a boring mess worse if your stuck base game only.
    Sims 2 even when I had the mass of mods I never had issues ever actually then again Sims 2 is old so updates for mods never happen ..

If they work for you & you enjoy them, great, I'm glad for you. To each their own, though, I'd rather not worry about whether a patch is going to break the game or spend valuable time digging around for the mods I need, when that time could be spent playing or on one of my other hobbies. I'm not saying their aren't things I would love to add or remove from the game, but they don't bother me enough to do anything about it besides post a whine here every now & then. :P I have all the packs & have little trouble staying engaged with what I've got. Everyone plays their game their own way, and mods & CC are great for giving players many more options, but they're just not my cup of tea.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    I'm really close to being CC free but not quite!

I gotta little mod file that's about less than 3GBs with custom content.
    The most I use in custom content is Skin [mostly], Hair, and some body details [fingernails, eyes] mods.

I also like to use things "Maxis Matched" so they blend with the game.

But I find as we get more and more packs, things like build items and furniture I don't need as much, so I think I may be CC free one day. :smile:
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• Options
    Program13Program13 Posts: 22 Member
    Hand raising... I prefer sticking with vanilla.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Stutum wrote: »
    *raising my hand* I have heard enough "horror stories" about CCs and mods causing bugs and some times breaking the game, so I have never used any of those, and I never will.
    +1

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    #teamvanilla
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2018
    I need to clean out my CC folder because it takes way too long to open my game now. I started last night and with the whole folder removed, the game loads SUPER fast. I’m very tempted to just delete ALL the CAS CC but keep my mods lol
  • Options
    Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    I play vanilla.
    I used to own a lot of mods and cc for sims 3, but I don't think sims 4 needs it.
    I do wish blush was usable for kids and toddlers. It makes them so cute with rosy cheeks.
  • Options
    fiercephoenix91fiercephoenix91 Posts: 175 Member
    I play without CC or Mods. However, I have downloaded and added MCCC so when I get a little curious to make things more of a story progression, I just can check off to allow mods and play, but still, most of the time, I play with what I get.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    For me, it would be just too boring without it, and all the people look alike.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    With Sims or Stellaris, use of mods is something I have to use sparingly to only enhance small aspects of the game graphically, rather than change anything major.

With the case of Stellaris, this is only because I actually want to be able to get achievements in Ironman.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    V1XENV1XEN Posts: 12 New Member
    I play vanilla Always have in all sims games.2,3,and now 4. Never had use for mods or CC
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I love my cc and mods! I went vanilla in original Sims, tried to dl cc in Sims 2 and messed up my computer pretty good. Sims 3 came along and it too was vanilla until some glitches became game breakers, enter NRass the Mod god, lol. The rest is history. Yes it is a pain to check through and make sure folder is in order, caches cleared, but now I have a system and it takes me less time for every patch. My mods/cc is very reasonable, under 500 MB but I have pared down a lot and now trying to keep under 500. What I have left is mods I can't live without and I really don't mind...it is worth it. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    *halfway raises hand* I never use mods but I always use a small amount of Maxis Match cc (CAS and clutter only). Maxis Match (when done well) blends in with 4's aesthetic flawlessly imo. As others have said, a lot of it is from the game itself.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I don't use mods or CC, I just don't find them necessary. I have tried some maxis match CC, mainly conversions from one gender to another (that was before the gender patch). I've also tried some mods, MCCC and a mod that removes decoration buffs. I quite liked them both actually, but decided I would rather stay vanilla than worry about keeping them up to date every month.
  • Options
    honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    Lishacake wrote: »
    What skin are you using? @Lishacake
    I'm using Kumikya's Toffee skinblend.

I downloaded that skin after commenting so thank you! Your sim looks lovely. I also went ahead and grabbed a few more "ethnic" hairs from shespeakssimlish because the struggle is real when making black/biracial sims (the "redbone" sim in my profile pic has a shespeakssimlish bubble braid and someone else's cc skin from a melanin pack for all races that I'm obsessed with). I'm a grown-plum woman feeling hype about cc shopping but honestly these hairs are so laid and my sims are about to stunt on everybody OMG :D
  • Options
    DevinaleDevinale Posts: 209 Member
    I don't use CC 'cause I don't like it and I can't be bothered to download and sort of install them in my game.
    The same goes for mods although I know I would love MCCC so that the town actually reproduces(to me it feels like most people use it to get a sort of story progression or at least that families don't die out, so why EA can't you start implenting this in sims?!) but again, I have to install and remove it for updates and such and I'm lazy.. I don't play that much. I just play from time to time,although right now I'm in a sims gaming zone
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    I have them but disable them unless I want to use them. I like people to download my builds so I don't use them often...and I rarely play the game.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    emilybush8185emilybush8185 Posts: 38 Member
    Devinale wrote: »
    I don't use CC 'cause I don't like it and I can't be bothered to download and sort of install them in my game.
    The same goes for mods although I know I would love MCCC so that the town actually reproduces(to me it feels like most people use it to get a sort of story progression or at least that families don't die out, so why EA can't you start implenting this in sims?!) but again, I have to install and remove it for updates and such and I'm lazy.. I don't play that much. I just play from time to time,although right now I'm in a sims gaming zone

Sims gaming zone! I feel that! Sims will go untouched for maybe a few weeks? Months? ... then out of no where I have the urge to play it again. I gotta feel it.

are you feeling it now mr krabs
  • Options
    emilybush8185emilybush8185 Posts: 38 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    @CyrusTheLoser

Agreed

CC is not an issue if you're willing to do the research and to basically RT_M. I've never had a game-breaking problem with any mod. That's because there are steps that should be taken any time that a game is patched.

If a mod causes a problem, don't save. Exit. Remove the mod, clear the cache files and you're good to go.

@ragefire88, I agree with you as well. The housekeeping steps that you've mentioned are all imperative in order to keep a healthy game. Know what you're getting into. Organize. Test when there's a new patch.

It's also important to keep more than one save file. That goes for any game, with or without CC. If you don't want any heartaches, always save twice. From my Fallout days, I've learned that it's also better to make a new save every time by doing a "Save As". If you keep saving over the same file over and over again, something can eventually become corrupted and there goes your entire game.

A paranoid player (like me) always has ten save files going for each game. Each time I create a new save, I delete the oldest one. In that way, I always have an earlier point to return to if something does go wrong.

I feel so awakened! Thank you the helpful information!