Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 Disks = No Origin?

MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
I'm still very happy with 3, but I like 2 as well. Uninstalled Sims 4 from the pc so I no longer need nor want Origin...but would I need it to play even if I bought the disks from ebay?

Comments

• AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    edited March 2018
    No. That's the great thing about TS2 on disk. No connecting to Origin to start the game, no need to be on the internet to play at all! ;) You will need to tweak a file to bypass the launcher to not be on the internet- it's easy though.
    I keep Origin's paws off of my TS3 game as well as it is also on disk. I disabled the updates (and I also bypass that launcher).
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    No if you have the disks and use them to install the game it's not connected to Origin.
    ~ ~ ~
  • MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    edited March 2018
    Wow (NO ONE in the Sims-related FB groups could/would answer anything about this)! Last question, what is the file I will need to tweak to bypass the launcher?
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Isn't the launcher with TS2 Store addition only?
    If you don't have the store addition- which would be through Origin, which would mean you should have the UC- You don't have a launcher.

edited March 2018
    Bon Voyage introduced the launcher. You need to change the launcher.exe file to an EP #.exe file. Each Ep has it's own number and M&G stuff also has a number.
    If you google "sims 2 bypass launcher", go the the Mod the Sims Game Help:Bypassing Launcher for detailed instructions with pics (in case you are worried about altering files ;) .)
    edited March 2018
    I don't remember having the launcher with Bon Voyage... The launcher came with the Store... iirc - which I might not. I haven't had the launcher since I removed the Store so long ago. I didn't by pass the CD startup except a couple years ago so- but memory fades. :(

*The Store and some Expansions/Game packs were sold through EAs Download program (before Origin?)- which would have put the launcher in... maybe?
    edited March 2018
    Mansion & Garden Stuff is considered EP #9 when changing the exe file.

I hope this is understandable. :D
    edited March 2018
    :) *Not to me. :blush:
    Nope the launcher is there starting with Bon Voyage. Last month I had to replace my hard drive so I had to reinstall all my disks. I had to google how to do it again because I had forgotten. :D
  • Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    The only reason you would need Origin to play Sims 2 is if you have the Complete Collection EA was giving out a couple of years ago. Otherwise you should be able to install the game from the disk and play.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
    Just to clarify the #s:
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Launcher
    edited March 2018
    Lol! I''ve been byppassing it so long I forgot. :lol:

Plus- I use the UC and have bypassed their launch of Origin with their newest update. I don't need origin to open unless I want it.
    Nikoa wrote: »
    The only reason you would need Origin to play Sims 2 is if you have the Complete Collection EA was giving out a couple of years ago. Otherwise you should be able to install the game from the disk and play.

Yep, I have the Compete Collection on the laptop, Origin is already so big and clunky, now it seems to update every other time I open the game!
    edited March 2018
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Plus- I use the UC and have bypassed their launch of Origin with their newest update. I don't need origin to open unless I want it.

:D Isn't that usually how it goes? It might have taken me a while to remember this snippet if I wasn't forced to do it again after years of not thinking about it. My hard drive was 8 yrs old before it gave it's life for me - that's the last time I dealt with this.
    edited March 2018
    Anmirla wrote: »

:D Isn't that usually how it goes? It might have taken me a while to remember this snippet if I wasn't forced to do it again after years of not thinking about it. My hard drive was 8 yrs old before it gave it's life for me - that's the last time I dealt with this.

Forced? I don't recall holding a gun to your head and making you reply to this thread.
    edited March 2018
    MadIris wrote: »
    Anmirla wrote: »

Forced? I don't recall holding a gun to your head and making you reply to this thread.

Uhh...you have misread that. I was forced to have to remember to bypass the launcher after my hard drive crashed last month. :/
    I had to reinstall and start over again because I lost everything! Well, that's not completely true because I had my downloads and other game files saved to a flashdrive as a matter of habit. 900gigs of data - gone! I still had to reinstall and make all my adjustments.

To clarify: I may not have remembered this at first if I had not had to do it for myself just a few weeks ago.
    Oh, ok. The last time I ventured out of the Sims 3 forum I was met with snarkiness so... Sorry 'bout that.