Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Decades Challenge

Comments

• AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
    rosietea03 wrote: »
    Anyone have CC for the 1920's? I've looked everywhere and I couldn't find good one's:(

http://happylifesims.tumblr.com/tagged/downloads

there are a few other links i shared above that should have more!
    Anyone else struggling to find good themed CC, it also helps me a bit to look at actual fashion images from the time period and then keep an eye out for pieces of clothing that -while not meant to be 1920's/etc themed - can pass for decade appropriate clothes (especially with the right accessories)!

April from TheSimsResource has some beautiful gowns. I actually just downloaded this one for my 1920's sims, because the length, shape, and embroidery remind me very much of a more elegant 20's evening dress.

There is a disappointingly low number of 20's themed headbands I've found. Here is something that can pass by SLYD.
    Necklaces were mostly long and droopy so anything like that would be a good accessory. NataliS has this backdrop necklace that would be nice, as I think backdrop pearls were worn in the 20's.

And, as always, HappySimsLife has a ton of 1920's themed clothing

Here's some inspiration for blouses from a 1920's catalog
    The material and slouchy appearance of this blouse would work well.

This blouse would be excellent for the 1910's or 1920's, depending on the skirt they're paired with.
    Another gorgeous blouse

Skirts were mostly straight and pleated, probably no shorter than mid-calf or so.

This is more 1940's, but it could work.
    This length and shape is perfect.

Here are a few things I'm using in my game right now.

- Make sure you get the right meshes for this one, or it won't work.
    - This and the mesh for it are both lovely dresses that work really well.
    - Beautiful coat
    - I am absolutely in love with this entire outfit.

Anyway, I'm sorry for leaving such a long post! I have spent ages looking for good CC, and I am constantly trying to add to what I've already found. I've looked at so many historical photos to try and find inspiration, and I get a little passionate about trying to help and share this stuff.

Good luck!

xkT2PiJ.jpg

• GERARDISMYRELIGION1GERARDISMYRELIGION1 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited February 2018
    This is awsome ive been doing this for like a week and im at the 1980s!

[EA_Lanna: Removed second post of the same message for spam. Please be mindful of the forum rules.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules]
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • thebestonlycucumberthebestonlycucumber Posts: 1 New Member
    So is there a money limit or start
  • GeniusSimmerGirlGeniusSimmerGirl Posts: 68 Member
    > @thebestonlycucumber said:
    > So is there a money limit or start

I believe you get the starting funds, which is between 18,000 and 22,000 depending on if you start with a married couple or a single person or one sims eldery parent/parents (But I cheated a little, it's really up to you if you want to stick by the rules or not)
    My origin ID is quiverfullsims | My simblr can be found here. It follows the Rowan family- an extremely conservative clan with nearly 17 children.
  • Black_BettyBlack_Betty Posts: 62 Member
    I'm starting my challenge right now and I'm wondering if female sims in the 1890s can collect rocks. Probably not super feminine, but just curious?
    I'm starting my challenge right now and I'm wondering if female sims in the 1890s can collect rocks. Probably not super feminine, but just curious?

There's nothing in the rules about it that I'm aware of, so go ahead!
    Both of my sons didn't make it out of the first war. :/

I'm sorry :( I lost one son in the first war, but he wasn't in my main played household. I'm in the 1930's now, but so far there's only been 1 son across three housesholds I'm playing, so the next war isn't going to have a lot of options :D

I'm sorry :( I lost one son in the first war, but he wasn't in my main played household. I'm in the 1930's now, but so far there's only been 1 son across three housesholds I'm playing, so the next war isn't going to have a lot of options :D

I'm just starting the 1920s and my sim married and almost old dude. LoL! Trying to have that baby now!
    Question: When can you start doing festivals? I'm not seeing that in the rules anywhere.
    Question: When can you start doing festivals? I'm not seeing that in the rules anywhere.

I dunno if you've been following @CuteCoffeeGal's modified rules, but under 1970's it says "Festivals and city events are now allowed."

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BlzYMuvOyaCRZTV0nB2YCnw60WzfogThkKhaZ75x0Zk/edit#

But to be honest, you could get away with letting them go to a festival if you wanted to! It's not written in the original rules posted here <3
    edited October 2018
    > @Black_Betty said:
    > Both of my sons didn't make it out of the first war. :/

I'm so sorry! I'm still in the 1900s, but luckily, I only have one son, so hopefully he makes it out alive! My cowplant is currently a little baby cowplant!
    Post edited by GeniusSimmerGirl on
    My origin ID is quiverfullsims | My simblr can be found here. It follows the Rowan family- an extremely conservative clan with nearly 17 children.
    I have one question: When are you llowed to have pets, and what type of pets can you get?
    I have one question: When are you llowed to have pets, and what type of pets can you get?

Hello! @GeniusSimmerGirl Since this challenge seems to have been created before the Cats and Dogs EP, I'd say you're allowed to have pets whenever you'd like! Cats and Dogs have been companions for ages, so there's nothing unrealistic about having one during any of the decades in this challenge.

For the new Stuff Pack, Hamsters didn't really become 'pets' until 1946 (I had to do some research c;) so I'd say the 1950's would be a good era to start keeping those small pets. For aquariums, the first aquarium recorded was made in 1832, so while I'd say having an aquarium is probably okay in any era, I'd keep in mind how modern the aquarium itself appears, if keeping everything aesthetically historically accurate is something you want to do.

Hope that helps!
    > @Ashubii said:
    > GeniusSimmerGirl wrote: »
    >
    > I have one question: When are you llowed to have pets, and what type of pets can you get?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello! @GeniusSimmerGirl Since this challenge seems to have been created before the Cats and Dogs EP, I'd say you're allowed to have pets whenever you'd like! Cats and Dogs have been companions for ages, so there's nothing unrealistic about having one during any of the decades in this challenge.
    >
    > For the new Stuff Pack, Hamsters didn't really become 'pets' until 1946 (I had to do some research c;) so I'd say the 1950's would be a good era to start keeping those small pets. For aquariums, the first aquarium recorded was made in 1832, so while I'd say having an aquarium is probably okay in any era, I'd keep in mind how modern the aquarium itself appears, if keeping everything aesthetically historically accurate is something you want to do.
    >
    > Hope that helps!

Thanks
  • CuteCoffeeGalCuteCoffeeGal Posts: 256 Member
    Hi everyone! It's been a while since I updated my revised version of the Decades Challenge rules, so I made some updates to include Toddler Stuff, Cats & Dogs, Laundry Day Stuff, and Jungle Adventure. Link to revised rules (and scoring spreadsheet): http://bit.ly/2yxyC68

And if you want to see where I'm currently at in the challenge, I'll be posting my next video on my YouTube channel this Tuesday - we'll be starting the 1920s! Thankfully we only lost 2 sons to World War I.
    #EAGameChanger on YouTube: Let's Plays, CAS, Speed Builds - I'm currently playing the Decades Challenge! https://www.youtube.com/c/CuteCoffeeGal
    Gallery ID: CuteCoffeeGal
    Twitter: @CuriousLindsey
  • AestheticSimmingAestheticSimming Posts: 15 Member
    Someone should start a challenge going into the future, Just an idea!
  • holeofwonderholeofwonder Posts: 33 Member
    Really like this! Might do one set in the 60s
  • Anime_CakeAnime_Cake Posts: 10 New Member
    I really like this challenge. In order to drag it out a little, (like a legacy) I've made each decade an entire generation. (I might also try with having an actual timeline, but considering that a generation is considered to be 30 years that'd only be 4 generations, so, though that'd be great for a story.) I did my research in order to get my little story as right as possible.

So my question is: When may I start using typewriters? Like, in the 1900's the business career opens, am I then allowed to buy one for my sim to file reports on? I don't wanna use it for anything else i.e. writing etc., but just filling reports. (I know it's an interaction under 'Internet', but I more imagine it as my sim filling his reports and turning up the next day with his report papers.)

All in all, I really enjoy this challenge. I had twins at my first go, and they grew up and I even sent my female twin to high school (My plan was to have her work at home & take a part-time job, as the family would hardly be able to cover the costs.) Eventually, she got into photographing, she'd go to school, have a part-time job and all and had saved up all her life for a camera. As of I did research, I know getting pregnant outside marriage back then was a SHAME, which she did. Eventually, she gave birth to a baby boy, and her twin brother and his wife took the kid in as their own in an attempt to help her. She eventually killed herself, (fed to cowplant) due to extreme shame and guilt, fearing people would call her names. Her brother, born sim-minutes after her got really sad, (they had a very strong bond, even best friends) for now, the little boy of his sister will inherit. No one, but him, his wife and mom (his dad died tragically due to a disease that held him down for 3 days.) knew that it was not their own son. Obviously, there were things about their kid that seemed weird should it be their son, but it helped a bit that they were twins with the genetics.

It's a fun challenge and I'm always excited to see how the next generation will turn out.
    Also, it's a great idea with the cowplant, though I am encouraged to kill my sims. (For the time I'm in right now, people died that was it. So many reasons. In another, I have with my friend we killed our favourite child because we decided before she was born, she'd get a disease and die. It sucks, but it adds so much story.)

Great challenge, no doubt. Happy that you posted it here <3
  • upsidedownsimsupsidedownsims Posts: 2 New Member
    I am playing this challenge but I am not sure when to change the decade? I would presume teenager? (Sorry, it might've said but I probably missed it)
    I am playing this challenge but I am not sure when to change the decade? I would presume teenager? (Sorry, it might've said but I probably missed it)

Each new decade starts with the children growing into young adults (or teens if you prefer)
  • OhHeyLuckyOhHeyLucky Posts: 1,338 Member
    I haven't played in awhile, I am currently in the 1950s. May try playing more this weekend. I bounce between so many games!
    I'm about to hit the 1940's, and was really annoyed that I couldn't find any WWII posters CC that I liked. So I've been trying to recreate some real posters and make my own >:)

HkEYzRC.jpg
    hDsYi9X.jpg
    nQjHnIL.jpg

Based on these:
    FCY31GD.jpg
    yER8m4t.jpg
    yHLXGaI.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file