Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was Multitasking worth the loading screens?

Comments

• Options
    2tcn2tcn Posts: 58 Member
    No - I dislike loading screens and was happy without Multitasking
    Multitasking makes the game progress too slow for my tastes. I'd be happy without it.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes - Loading sceeens aren’t long and I love Multitasking
    Let's imagine TS4 without "loading screens" like TS3 but still closed world.
    ... your sim moving in a grey world, low res shape, each object loaded one after the other during several secondes...

In fact, it would be an annoyance too. TS4 only hide what we saw in TS3.

Now if the question is about Open World vs Multitask, in term of Memory use and Performance, at least TS4 doesn't crash because the game reached the memory limit (4 GB).
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2018
    ... your sim moving in a grey world, low res shape, each object loaded one after the other during several secondes...

Now if the question is about Open World vs Multitask, in term of Memory use and Performance, at least TS4 doesn't crash because the game reached the memory limit (4 GB).

Neither Sims 3 or 4 has ever crashed on my pcs - so neither has ever had an issue. High end pcs - well maintained make a difference - so if you take good care of your pc and have a high end pc - things like that is not an issue.

Fact for me is - I just don't like loading screens period. Has no reflection on performance in either game - as I don't have issues with either game - but I sure have preferences as to what I like and what I don't like.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited February 2018
    @Writin_Reg

Sure, it depends on the quality you set. Low quality use less memory.

TS2, TS3 and TS4, I always set the highest level.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018

Correction, what you apparently saw in Sims 3. And no, I don’t have my settings on anything lower than highest.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »

Correction, what you apparently saw in Sims 3. And no, I don’t have my settings on anything lower than highest.

Sure, I could say the same thing about what you saw in The Sims 4 :p .

That's why everybody don't get the same opinion.

Loading screens are only 3 or 5 seconds, there is no reason to complain about it. Sure I don't get the same computer than you :p .
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @Writin_Reg

Sure, it depends on the quality you set. Low quality use less memory.

TS2, TS3 and TS4, I always set the highest level.

I run on Ultra. With everything set to the highest settings.

My husband is a pc technician and every 2-3 years builds me a brand new - state of the art pc. The pc I am on is an 8 core desktop with 16gigs of high speed gaming ram (it can go to 32 gigs). But i am already preparing and picking out components for my next desktop as this will be 3 in November... and it has no issues at all - it is just something I do. I had 3 pcs built during Sims 3 - as yes I am very partial to quality - the best I can possibly get on any game I play. This pc was actually built to run Fallout 4 on Ultra - the Sims just benefit from my choice of pcs. In fact the only thing I spend money on besides my health is my pcs, high speed internet, and games I enjoy. I am so fussy about my pcs I won't even use a laptop - no offense to people who like them - I don't. I like super cooled, quiet, and fast desktop pcs.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @Writin_Reg

Life is unfair :p .

I suppose. I just know it blows my mind during both Sims 3 and 4 and folks talk about all the issues they have with these games - and I just don't see it. Granted if there is an actual bug in the game - I do see that - but most of them do not seems to stay around like they did in Sims 3 - so in Sims 3 I found ways around most anything that didn't get fixed. But in Sims 4 the fix-it devs are pretty good at squashing most of the ones I have seen.

But crashes - are something I have not seen since Sims 2 Bon Voyage and that was due to Securom issues.

I'd probably go into shock if my pc ever crashed now a days- lol.

But all that aside - I still detest load screens.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    delimariverdelimariver Posts: 10 New Member
    The multitasking is kind of nice, although it can be annoying when they are more focused on having conversations and not eating their food. However, I think loading screens make the game run much smoother IMO. In the Sims 3 & the Sims Medieval, the open world made the game sooo laggy (for me at least, I know some of you guys have super high tech PCs but I don't oops.) Anyways, TS4 just works better for ME personally with the loading screens + multitasking. It would be nice to have a little more freedom though. Like each neighborhood (not the entire world) has open world but if you wanted to travel to another neighborhood/world you would need a loading screen. So really I'm indifferent but idk why I voted yes.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Loading screens are only 3 or 5 seconds, there is no reason to complain about it. Sure I don't get the same computer than you :p .
    You’re adressing crashing and rendering. In fact, it would be an annoyance too. TS4 only hide what we saw in TS3. That’s not opinion, that’s experience. Where did I ever mention anything about what I saw in Sims 4 and generalize it? I’ll tell you: nowhere, never. I had crashing issues with Sims 4 in the beginning but that clearly was my video card, so I bought a new computer. Other than that I’ve never had performance issues with neither Sims 4 nor 3.

@delimariver I don’t have a ‘super high tech PC’, just an ordinary gaming PC. I am willing to invest in that, that much is true.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    oops i voted on the wrong option, it shoulda have been the first one.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

You’re adressing crashing and rendering. In fact, it would be an annoyance too. TS4 only hide what we saw in TS3. That’s not opinion, that’s experience.

We : The ones who got that issue :p
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I’m indifferent. I don’t see the pros or cons of either.
    I've never experienced any type of performance crashing in any of my machines with TS1, 2, 3, or 4 in sixteen years+ It's always been a game problem that may have crashed my game, such as a problem in the game itself they had to patch, that's why I trust AMD products like processors and video cards. I can honestly say this.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

You’re adressing crashing and rendering. In fact, it would be an annoyance too. TS4 only hide what we saw in TS3. That’s not opinion, that’s experience.

We : The ones who got that issue :p
    Exactly, thanks for the addition. For many your painted picture would be heaven, not an annoyance. Also on highest settings.

(‘Loading screens are only 3 or 5 seconds, there is no reason to complain about it’ is generalizing again by the way; there is a reason to complain for those with much longer loading screens)(apart from the fact there’s more to loading screens than the wait alone where it comes to annoyance)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Interesting enough, (some) people who are fine without open world have open mind with having a semi-open world. Honestly, EA should just go with that.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Interesting enough, (some) people who are fine without open world have open mind with having a semi-open world. Honestly, EA should just go with that.
    I think they already are. El Selvadora seems to be a totally different experience than Willow Creek. But indeed, many people - also the hardcore open world fans like me - do have an open mind about this.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I like the multitasking but I'm not a fan of the loading screens, even though they don't take long to load for me (although, it has taken a little longer to load with the more DLC we get). Multitasking has its pros and cons but overall, I enjoy it. I always have my sims eat cereal/yogurt with a glass of water/milk/juice. Takes them a good sim hour to a sim hour and a half. But I get annoyed as ever when I have my sim eating for instance and I want them to start up the washer, well, my sim will get up from the table, pick their plate up, to start up the washer and then they'll stand there eating. My also once took their food with them to the toilet all because I intended for them to eat their food and then use the bathroom! Like, SIT DOWN and STAY down until you finish your food. I get ultra annoyed too when other members of the family are gathered elsewhere but the kitchen/dining area and suddenly my sim(s) that grabbed a dish and suddenly have "my family isn't near me" senses tingling and are all gathering around the same area as well..even if there is nowhere else to sit....but that's another story for another day.

I don't mind the loading screens as much when you're traveling to another lot or world, but it's ridiculous you endure a loading screen while visiting a next door neighbor. Especially when y'all live in the SAME apartment.

The way this is phrased makes it sound like we have loading screens because of multitasking. Was this confirmed?
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2018
    Necro, but whatever. We kinda established that multitasking is not a big deal nor something new (barely has any new innovative additions), but they could at done something close to just opening up apartment units without no loading like in TS2 manner? Yes I know this counts as just basically open a part section of the house/rooms on the same lot, but it would made difference and had people join it (I meant join the fun). Though I'm quite dubious that some area of district/neighborhood doesn't count as one big LOT in technical sense, because there are some normal buy/build mode items you can interact with but keeping in mindsome not modifable as they don't literal lot confined in a map. This "because multitasking wouldn't work well" should still not be a problem, and I feel developers are making a lousy excuse just so that reduce amount of effort/work just to get their paycheck.

Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    edited April 2018
    What if they only allowed multitasking for active Sims that the user controlled? Would that make it weird?

Or after a certain number of loaded Sims, multitasking is turned off for all the Sims that are populated after. I think there could have been a way ... at the same time, I'm not a dev. I would have preferred to have both in the game. And if their mulitasking system doesn't allow open worlds or neighbourhoods, then perhaps there would have been a way to create a multitasking system that worked with open worlds or neighbourhoods.

I think it's probably too late now. And I understand ... I will code something and then 5-6 months later revisit it because I thought of an entirely new way of coding that specific thing. But sometimes because the initial way I coded was so amateur, changing it would be more trouble than it is worth. So maybe for TS5, they can start with a better foundation.

If TS5 is even going to be made ... they should learn from their mistakes. Open worlds/neighbourhoods is a natural progression in the franchise in my opinion. Yes, it means that the game is going to be more demanding. But our tech is only getting stronger and better with each passing moment.

The Sims was the first game - to my knowledge - that started the path of hardcore casual gamers. If TS4 pushed the limits of peoples rigs, I think people would respond to that. Of course I don't know how large that userbase is. But either way, I think people would play the game regardless of how demanding it is. If you had a lower end machine, you would play on the lowest settings. Look at games like PUBG ... highly intense resource hog, yet almost everyone plays on the lowest settings because they would rather have a satisfying experience in regards to gameplay instead of graphics. And the game doesn't look that horrible on low settings anyways. My 5 yr old PC was able to run it fine. Also TS3's open world was extremely demanding on systems if you had a lot of EP's. But apparently they did something right because a lot of people still loved the game and still played it. Plus modders were able to fix certain things like routing issues so that it ran more smoothly.

In my humble opinion, there was a way, they either just didn't chase it or they couldn't figure it out. Perhaps TS4 is providing the barebones for a great game once this generation of developers learns how to implement these systems more efficiently ... not saying that TS4 will ever reach its full potential, but I think they may be learning things that they could use to create a really awesome TS5. Who knows though.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    If I had to choose between the two, I would pick loading screens over multitasking as a preference. I’m used to loading screens for some of my various games, so I’m okay with those.

While I do like some of the multitasking stuff, I’m just sad that multitasking may be why we don’t have lounge chairs or holding babies, and other stuff like that from past Sims games..
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2018
    My systems are fast but for me no matter how long an loading screen is, it is an step back in time it also matters how many times you encounter loading screens and it breaks the immersion. I do not care for multitasking in Sims 4 for a lot was taken from Sims 4 to make it happen and for me those features such as terrain editor, world creation and lot editors made me feel like I am the ruler of my game. Sims 4 is just an pretty game with less punch and more like art. It is not an bad game but the return to loading screens was the worst for me.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Well the sims 2 loading screen is quicker for me.
    I love multitasking in this game. The loading screen is only about 40 seconds at the moment.

Wish it was 10 seconds like 2 but not too bad really.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    NOPE

By definition, it's not even really multitasking. Sims 3 (heck, even Sims 2 AND even Sims 1) showcased superior multitasking in some specialized cases. I mean if my Sims sit down to eat breakfast together, a Sim family in Sims 3 can successfully eat their breakfast and gain socialization without slowing themselves down at all. If a family does the same in Sims 4, it turns into a nightmare where you have to cycle around the table canceling everyone's social desire before they all end up late for work, and it's a never-ending battle cause the little jerks will constantly re-queue new social interactions even after they've been canceled.

Multi-tasking to me means multiple actions being done simultaneously for a boost to efficiency, such as doing the laundry while watching the news and chatting on the phone for an increase in social and fun while the laundry itself gets completed at about the same rate it usually would. In Sims 4, it means the game periodically cycles between action A and action B. When action A is being completed, action B is completely put on pause and vice versa. It's not multitasking, it's a dumb little automated toggle they honestly would've been capable of implementing in any of the past Sims game. The problem this has is that Sims in Sims 4 obsessively socialize at all times, even when they don't need it, so the multitasking system usually just means the player's desired action for the Sim will be slowed down by their obsession with social tasks. If not for the multitasking system, we wouldn't need to babysit our sims half as much as we do because they wouldn't constantly hunt chat partners.

"Multi"tasking and the emotion system are probably the two biggest bombs of Sims 4. Both of them were promised to be revolutionary and both are absolutely terrible. If there was an option to turn off multitasking in the game options, I think it would be very tempting to do so. It would more or less function as a mini-free will toggle that solely effects their obsession with socializing.

Exactly this. All of it.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    rune1973rune1973 Posts: 15 New Member
    with multitasking do you mean like controlling 2 family's at one time or when you arnt controlling 1 it looks after itself and you can see another member of one of you other family's walking by your house in the streat.