Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 1 Complete Collection Issues

WissaWolfWissaWolf Posts: 636 Member
I downloaded the game, but not any patches.. so that is probably the culprit. Since the website for this game has long been defunct, any idea as to where I would find them?

Anyway, this is what happens. I make a family, move them in, and then all the loading begins (such as townies) because I am starting a new game. Then once I get to the lot, I click through all the start up messages and accept the help hints. Then I realize I am stuck in build mode, no ability to go into live and that my sim family is not there. I exit and go to saved sims, to find all sims I created completely vanished.
I try again and it loads everything up like townies, the start pop-ups, and help screen all over again as though I had never played before. The same issue as before, stuck in build mode and sims vanished.
Then I try a premade family and it seems to be working fine, only for me to get a glitch upon trying to save the game.... "There was an error encountered trying to save this house."

I am using Windows 10.

Please help, because it will make playing this a bit frustrating.

Comments

• OxanaPihlajamaaOxanaPihlajamaa Posts: 153 Member
    I've had the same thing happen to mine, but a tutorial on SimsVIP said to always start the game as an administrator, then it works just fine. :)
  • thesimmer77thesimmer77 Posts: 33 Member
    Sorry that I can't help you with your issues but I'm having issues as well. Since this forums policy is I can not post links yet or start my own threads I have to post here. I played the original sims, now I'm using the complete collection, and it has some annoyances. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Cockroaches- I'd rather do without them. It is not fun spraying them, even if just ONE thing is dirty it seems (like not flushing/cleaning a toilet after every time a sim uses it, I'd think they'd flush it automatically) they will appear. Sometimes my sims will go WAY out anywhere in the lot/yard to spray them, which is a HUGE waste of time. I wonder if there is a mod that can get rid of them.

2. Water- why is it EVERY time I use the bath, water appears on the floor? Even if it's not broken?

3. Repairs- a couple of things break constantly like sinks.

4. Relationships- Hot Date added the daily and lifetime relationships bars. Why is it the daily is easy to raise, but lifetime can be very hard to raise? With Bella Goth it was easy to get the daily and lifetime bars up. But with Brad, I couldn't make him a friend until I got the daily to 100 and the lifetime is still stuck around 15. Interests is another thing the original sims didn't have, which can be annoying when you just want to talk and it impacts negatively on the person.

5. Free will- this happened in the original sims as well. I read a trick to go to work late stand in front of the car and have free will turned off, even though I did have free will turned off eventually my sim moved out of the way. They also do other things automatically even with it off. What's the point of having the ability to switch it if they will do things automatically anyway, even if it is on or off?
  • thesimmer77thesimmer77 Posts: 33 Member
    6. My mouse pointer disappears sometimes while calling neighbors on the phone
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    Sorry that I can't help you with your issues but I'm having issues as well. Since this forums policy is I can not post links yet or start my own threads I have to post here. I played the original sims, now I'm using the complete collection, and it has some annoyances. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Cockroaches- I'd rather do without them. It is not fun spraying them, even if just ONE thing is dirty it seems (like not flushing/cleaning a toilet after every time a sim uses it, I'd think they'd flush it automatically) they will appear. Sometimes my sims will go WAY out anywhere in the lot/yard to spray them, which is a HUGE waste of time. I wonder if there is a mod that can get rid of them.

2. Water- why is it EVERY time I use the bath, water appears on the floor? Even if it's not broken?

3. Repairs- a couple of things break constantly like sinks.

4. Relationships- Hot Date added the daily and lifetime relationships bars. Why is it the daily is easy to raise, but lifetime can be very hard to raise? With Bella Goth it was easy to get the daily and lifetime bars up. But with Brad, I couldn't make him a friend until I got the daily to 100 and the lifetime is still stuck around 15. Interests is another thing the original sims didn't have, which can be annoying when you just want to talk and it impacts negatively on the person.

5. Free will- this happened in the original sims as well. I read a trick to go to work late stand in front of the car and have free will turned off, even though I did have free will turned off eventually my sim moved out of the way. They also do other things automatically even with it off. What's the point of having the ability to switch it if they will do things automatically anyway, even if it is on or off?

6. My mouse pointer disappears sometimes while calling neighbors on the phone

1. Yeah cockroaches are annoying. I always kept my lots clean and they rarely appeared. When they did appear, I'd just call the the Exterminator. As to your Sim running out in the the middle to get the roaches, I can't remember if free will affected that behavior or if this is just Sims being stupid and needing to lay down the law no matter what. If it's the latter I'd just cancel the interaction. A Mod might be your best bet (if you can find any). Anyways, I believe neat Sims do automatically flash toilets. Unfortunately, you have always have to manually direct a Sim to clean them I believe.

2. Is your Sim neat or sloppy? Sloppy Sims leave puddles when exiting the shower/bath.

3. I don't know if this is true for The Sims 1, but in later game if your Sim has low mechanical/repair or if an item is too old they break moree often. Or things just break more often in TS1 (I know TS1 is harder then later games).

4. Yeah, the daily/lifetime relationship system is annoying and confusing. This is what the Sims Wiki said:
    Once two Sims had any kind of relationship, the lifetime relationship between them would build as they spent time together on the same lot, even if they didn't interact. However, this increase in lifetime relationship would come at the expense of their daily relationship. Every so often, the daily relationship would drop by two points, and the lifetime relationship would increase by one point. In addition, some interactions between Sims, such as giving gifts, would affect the lifetime relationship. Lifetime relationships tended to be highly stable over time. Even if two Sims went a long time without interacting with one another, the lifetime relationship would barely be affected.

5. I'm pretty sure Sims move out of cars automatically, no matter what the free will is set too (they did to keep NPCs from blocking traffic on Community/Downtown/Vacation/Studio Town lots. This wasn't system always successful, Sims can be pretty stupid).

6. I don't know what could be causing that. That sounds graphical glitch to me. Are you playing in compatibility mode? Maybe try a different compatibility mode and try running TS1 in 256 colors mode too? I guess that could be caused by an old game on a modern system. :(
    in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • zero35zero35 Posts: 99 Member
    edited December 2018
    cockroaches can be automatic snap by pestmotel or climbing carnivine in TSO

Post edited by zero35 on
  • ssybesmassybesma Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello,
    I have the original separate CDs for "The Sims" and all 7 expansion packs purchased in the early 2000s.
    I'm trying to run the game on a VirtualBox VM using Windows XP Pro 32-bit, which guest sits on a Windows 10 host machine (Intel NUC).
    The sound cuts out shortly after the neighborhood scene comes up. Just a few seconds after. Up to that point there is sound.
    I thought I resolved this before but forgot how I did it.
    I tried experimenting with hardware acceleration on my sound settings but no dice.
    I don't think that's how I resolved it before.
    Any insight?
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • CourtnieCullenCourtnieCullen Posts: 33 Member
    I have The Sims Complete Collection, running it on Windows 10. I've changed the permissions so it should run as administrator but when I start it, it brings up a yellow box asking to make changes to the computer. I always click okay but nothing happens after that. I don't know how to get this game to run on my computer. Any ideas?
  • alex_alex09alex_alex09 Posts: 188 Member
    ssybesma wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have the original separate CDs for "The Sims" and all 7 expansion packs purchased in the early 2000s.
    I'm trying to run the game on a VirtualBox VM using Windows XP Pro 32-bit, which guest sits on a Windows 10 host machine (Intel NUC).
    The sound cuts out shortly after the neighborhood scene comes up. Just a few seconds after. Up to that point there is sound.
    I thought I resolved this before but forgot how I did it.
    I tried experimenting with hardware acceleration on my sound settings but no dice.
    I don't think that's how I resolved it before.
    Any insight?
    Thanks,
    Steve

I have separate cd's too and i had the sound problem too, i realized the Music folders were empty ( the SoundData folder was ok) the songs didn't copy from the original base game cd, you can copy it manually and replace it. I hope it works!
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Remember, for old PC games, always run them in compatibility mode, and run them as an admin. To do this, right click on the shortcut, and change the properties to run it in compatibility mode and as admin.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.