Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- Can my Mac run The Sims 4? Answers can be found here -

Comments

• anniechristiina13anniechristiina13 Posts: 6 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > anniechristiina13 wrote: »
    >
    > Hi. Can someone please help answer my question about Mac Mini running sims 4 with expansion using Intel Iris? I posted this question earlier in this thread but it seems to have been ignored..?
    >
    > Thankyou to anyone who doesn’t ignore me this time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you posted the exact year, model and OS of your Mac mini? Full specs please - Processor/Graphics/RAM etc.

Sorry, the specs as as follows. Thankyou @BluebellFlora for responding I really appreciate it!

2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
    8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
    Intel Iris Graphics

As for the year it would just be the one currently advertised on apple's website. I can't post a link as I am not allowed to but it is the middle tier mac mini that is currently on apple's US website for $699 ($1049 here in Australia..) I would go for the highest tier one at $999 in the US but here in Australia that model is $1499 and I just can't afford that much to be honest with you.

The OS would be the most current as I would update it to be so. Hope this is helpful! Thanks again!

Annie (:
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    > Hi. Can someone please help answer my question about Mac Mini running sims 4 with expansion using Intel Iris? I posted this question earlier in this thread but it seems to have been ignored..?
    >
    > Thankyou to anyone who doesn’t ignore me this time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you posted the exact year, model and OS of your Mac mini? Full specs please - Processor/Graphics/RAM etc.

Sorry, the specs as as follows. Thankyou @BluebellFlora for responding I really appreciate it!

2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
    8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
    Intel Iris Graphics

As for the year it would just be the one currently advertised on apple's website. I can't post a link as I am not allowed to but it is the middle tier mac mini that is currently on apple's US website for $699 ($1049 here in Australia..) I would go for the highest tier one at $999 in the US but here in Australia that model is $1499 and I just can't afford that much to be honest with you.

The OS would be the most current as I would update it to be so. Hope this is helpful! Thanks again!

Annie (:

You should be fine but may need to keep graphics options low :)
    apple-signature.png
    Okay thankyou kindly @BluebellFlora

I really want to be able to run sims 4 with expansions and cc on high or even ultra. What mac would you recommend to be able to do this? You can recommend an iMac or a Macbook either is fine, or one of each if you are feel like it. And don't worry about a budget as I will just have to save for it over the next few years so price isn't a problem.

Thankyou in advance!
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    iMacs will be your best bet as they are the desktop computers and run Sims 4 very smoothly on high settings. Remember to also get extra RAM as that will help your Mac run more smoothly.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    Okay thankyou kindly @BluebellFlora

I really want to be able to run sims 4 with expansions and cc on high or even ultra. What mac would you recommend to be able to do this? You can recommend an iMac or a Macbook either is fine, or one of each if you are feel like it. And don't worry about a budget as I will just have to save for it over the next few years so price isn't a problem.

Thankyou in advance!

iMacs are desktop machines but use mobile hardware so are essentially glorified laptops. They're great but nothing compared to a Mac Pro or the new upcoming iMac Pro which have proper desktop CPUs and GPUs. You want 16Gb RAM, a dedicated GPU and ideally an i7 CPU.

If you want to future proof yourself (always a good idea) then go for the top end 15" MacBook Pro with the AMD Radeon Pro GPU with 4Gb RAM for a laptop. Or desktop go for the current top end 21" or any of the 27" iMacs. But if you're looking at not getting one for a few years then come back when you're ready to buy and we can see what Apple will be offering :)
    apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    > Okay thankyou kindly @BluebellFlora
    >
    > I really want to be able to run sims 4 with expansions and cc on high or even ultra. What mac would you recommend to be able to do this? You can recommend an iMac or a Macbook either is fine, or one of each if you are feel like it. And don't worry about a budget as I will just have to save for it over the next few years so price isn't a problem.
    >
    > Thankyou in advance!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > iMacs are desktop machines but use mobile hardware so are essentially glorified laptops. They're great but nothing compared to a Mac Pro or the new upcoming iMac Pro which have proper desktop CPUs and GPUs. You want 16Gb RAM, a dedicated GPU and ideally an i7 CPU.
    >
    > If you want to future proof yourself (always a good idea) then go for the top end 15" MacBook Pro with the AMD Radeon Pro GPU with 4Gb RAM for a laptop. Or desktop go for the current top end 21" or any of the 27" iMacs. But if you're looking at not getting one for a few years then come back when you're ready to buy and we can see what Apple will be offering :)

Thankyou so much for this info. You have really helped me alot and I truly appreciate it! I will definitely come back when I have funds to work with. Have an awesome day and thankyou again!! (:
  • oopsdaiesoopsdaies Posts: 37 Member
    Hello! I was wondering if my MacBook - which has Get to Work, Get Together, and Parenthood - could also run City Living, Outdoor Retreat, and Vampires.

Here are the specs:

MacBook Pro, 13-inch, Mid 2012

Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
  • oopsdaiesoopsdaies Posts: 37 Member
    ^version 10.12.6
  • TMUTAYLEETMUTAYLEE Posts: 13 New Member
    Hi, I'm hardcore struggling with choosing the right computer for the sims 4. I want to be able to play on high settings, and maybe even ultra. I have expansion packs, and also use mods & custom content.

I currently have a MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014) Here are the specs:

Processor: 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

(Obviously the game is not able to run on high graphics; only low-medium on a good day.)

I am going off to college this year and my mom wants me to have an apple computer. Preferibly a laptop to take to class. I am not looking to spend $2,000+ on a laptop.

I am looking at 2 MacBook Pro's on amazon:

1. MacBook Pro (15.4-inch, Mid 2014) with Retina display

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    OS X Yosemite

2. MacBook Pro (15.4-inch, 2012) with Retina display

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8GB DDR3 RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB
    Mac OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion

*IS IT WORTH SPENDING THE EXTRA MONEY FOR #1?
    *WHAT GRAPHICS SETTINGS AM I ABLE TO USE FOR EACH LAPTOP?

THANK YOU !!!!
    edited January 2018
    @TMUTAYLEE

You are not going to be able to play on either of those Macs on High or Ultra settings without lag, especially if you have a lot of add on packs installed into the game.

You need to be realistic. If you're getting a Mac and you want it to play any kind of game on high settings then you need to spend the money on a newer 15" MacBook Pro with the dedicated graphics for a laptop or 27" iMac for a desktop. The ones you have listed are old machines with old hardware in them, presumably second hand? The first one has 16Gb RAM, always preferable to 8Gb. It has a slightly better NVIDIA graphics card but you haven't stated how much VRAM it has - 512Mb, 1024Mb?

I have upgraded from the second one you listed but without Retina, to the current 15". My old one was fantastic, still is. And the graphics in game looked fantastic as I had all settings on high. It did start to lag though during actual gameplay and I had to download and install the NVIDIA driver rather than use Apple's built in one which is always risky as it's not normal practice on a Mac.

If you don't want to spend over 2k but want a machine for gaming then you need to get a PC.
    apple-signature.png
    Thanks for the feedback, saved me the hassle of buying a crap computer
    TMUTAYLEE wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, saved me the hassle of buying a plum computer

It's not a crap computer, Macs age much better than Windows PCs and hold their value well. It's just an older one. And I would always be wary of buying a second hand one unless I knew it's provenance.

apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > TMUTAYLEE wrote: »
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback, saved me the hassle of buying a plum computer
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's not a plum computer, Macs age much better than Windows PCs and hold their value well. It's just an older one. And I would always be wary of buying a second hand one unless I knew it's provenance.

Yea I understand. I have a great laptop that I can take to college, if anything ill wait to buy one of the newer ones. I'd rather have low-medium graphics than buy a windows; just personal preference aha. Thanks again!
  • danamarie_79danamarie_79 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > scott_andrews92 wrote: »
    >
    > I will definitely look into getting more sometime soon! My main worry was that the game would crash my system for good, and my graphics card would fry out. My last system fried out, whether by TS3 or another reason, and it was my main gripe about installing TS4!
    >
    >
    > You'll be absolutely fine with 16Gb RAM. The OS is very efficient with memory management. And don't bother comparing TS3 and TS4, TS4 is natively written for macOS whereas TS3 wasn't which was the root of all problems with the game, especially the memory issues.
    >
    > If you decide to upgrade your OS you need to be aware of the NVIDIA issue on El Capitan and later. You have to manually update the NVIDIA driver to get the game working which is not normal practice. The issue may have been fixed now.....

I'm looking to purchase an iMac 27" with the following specs:
    4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
    32GB 2400MHz DDR4
    1TB Fusion Drive
    Radeon Pro 575 with 4GB video memory

I'm an amateur photographer and recently decided I would like to improve my editing capabilities, thus am considering purchasing my first ever Mac. However I do really enjoy playing Sims. I learned from your post that Sims 3 and Sims 4 run different on Macs because of how the game was originally created. I've also read from other posts and websites that even with this purchase, I need to monitor my game settings, because of the screen size. What are your thoughts on that? Also, given that Sims 3 wasn't natively created for Macs, is there anything I need to know as far as running it? This is such an expensive computer and I want it to last. I don't want to burn it out on gaming. Thanks for your feedback!
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > scott_andrews92 wrote: »
    >
    > I will definitely look into getting more sometime soon! My main worry was that the game would crash my system for good, and my graphics card would fry out. My last system fried out, whether by TS3 or another reason, and it was my main gripe about installing TS4!
    >
    >
    > You'll be absolutely fine with 16Gb RAM. The OS is very efficient with memory management. And don't bother comparing TS3 and TS4, TS4 is natively written for macOS whereas TS3 wasn't which was the root of all problems with the game, especially the memory issues.
    >
    > If you decide to upgrade your OS you need to be aware of the NVIDIA issue on El Capitan and later. You have to manually update the NVIDIA driver to get the game working which is not normal practice. The issue may have been fixed now.....

I'm looking to purchase an iMac 27" with the following specs:
    4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
    32GB 2400MHz DDR4
    1TB Fusion Drive
    Radeon Pro 575 with 4GB video memory

I'm an amateur photographer and recently decided I would like to improve my editing capabilities, thus am considering purchasing my first ever Mac. However I do really enjoy playing Sims. I learned from your post that Sims 3 and Sims 4 run different on Macs because of how the game was originally created. I've also read from other posts and websites that even with this purchase, I need to monitor my game settings, because of the screen size. What are your thoughts on that? Also, given that Sims 3 wasn't natively created for Macs, is there anything I need to know as far as running it? This is such an expensive computer and I want it to last. I don't want to burn it out on gaming. Thanks for your feedback!

You may be able to get Sims 3 to run on that iMac because it has AMD graphics that aren't as problematic as Intel. But there's no guarantee so don't get your hopes up. Sims 4 should run well though :)

Get Applecare, your warranty is extended to 3 years then. I always buy it because they're expensive to repair if something goes wrong, hopefully you won't need it though.
    apple-signature.png
  • peticalepeticale Posts: 8 New Member
    So Origin is having a sale on the expansion packs & I want Cats & Dogs sooo bad, but I remember when it came out hearing so much about how it bumped up the minimum computer specs, so before I commit to buying this pack, if someone could just quell my fears that I'll have to turn down my graphics settings or if it'll be too hard on my Mac adding this pack into the mix, I would be super grateful!! Here are some specs for my Mac.
    Model: MacBook Pro, Retina, 15-inch, mid-2015
    Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    I've also got all other expansion packs & Parenthood installed, about 2 GB of CC, & I play with a mix of high-low graphics. Not sure if there's any other relevant info I should include, but thank you to anyone who can reply! I just don't want to buy Cats & Dogs & find out it's going to give me any issues or force me to downgrade my graphics to keep playing smoothly.
    peticale wrote: »
    So Origin is having a sale on the expansion packs & I want Cats & Dogs sooo bad, but I remember when it came out hearing so much about how it bumped up the minimum computer specs, so before I commit to buying this pack, if someone could just quell my fears that I'll have to turn down my graphics settings or if it'll be too hard on my Mac adding this pack into the mix, I would be super grateful!! Here are some specs for my Mac.
    Model: MacBook Pro, Retina, 15-inch, mid-2015
    Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    I've also got all other expansion packs & Parenthood installed, about 2 GB of CC, & I play with a mix of high-low graphics. Not sure if there's any other relevant info I should include, but thank you to anyone who can reply! I just don't want to buy Cats & Dogs & find out it's going to give me any issues or force me to downgrade my graphics to keep playing smoothly.

You may have to lower your graphics settings to get smooth gameplay as you have integrated Intel graphics. The more you add to the game the more work it give your Mac to do.

apple-signature.png
  • peticalepeticale Posts: 8 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > You may have to lower your graphics settings to get smooth gameplay as you have integrated Intel graphics. The more you add to the game the more work it give your Mac to do.

Thanks for the insight! I have my sims set to "very high" so if I have to lower that to "high," or adjust some other settings lower, I wouldn't mind too much. Glad to know it shouldn't make my laptop catatonic or anything though.
  • NativeBeautyx3NativeBeautyx3 Posts: 2 New Member
    Can someone tell me if these are ok?

iMac Mid 2011
    Version 10.13.2 (up to date)
    Processor is 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5
    Memory is 20GB
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB (this is what I'm most concerned about)
  • Jo2uke_kunJo2uke_kun Posts: 10 New Member
    Can someone tell me, which would be better at Sims 4, and if they both would work?

MacBook Pro, 13-inch, Early 2011
    Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4GB
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
    OS X 10.9.5

or

MacBook Air, 13-inch, Early 2015
    Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8GB
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536MB
    macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Thanks!
  • ArsenicGodheadArsenicGodhead Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey everyone! Can't seem to figure out how to make my own post but I think my question is pretty relevant to this thread: If I buy a second hand Sims 4 CD (which are specifically for windows), can I use it to download the mac version from Origin?
    Hey everyone! Can't seem to figure out how to make my own post but I think my question is pretty relevant to this thread: If I buy a second hand Sims 4 CD (which are specifically for windows), can I use it to download the mac version from Origin?

Probably not as the game requires Origin to play and Origin requires a valid product code for the game. Therefore the product code will already be registered to someone else's Origin account.
    apple-signature.png
  • paigeeleaapaigeeleaa Posts: 1 New Member
    hi, I was just wondering if the sims 4 will work on my Mac or not

macOS high Sierra
    version 10.13.3 (17D102)
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
    processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    graphics ntel HD Graphics 288 MB
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    You'll need more RAM to run the game. You need at least 8GB.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Dusty_RainbowxDusty_Rainbowx Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello All!

I have a Macbook Air (13 Inch, 2017) model. With Specs as follows:

macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.4
    Processor: 1.8 Ghz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Do you think it would be able to run Sims 4 with a couple packs installed as well? From previous experience with Sims 3, I know theres always been some issues with games playing on macs. However, if theres a possibility I'd be able to play it nicely on here that would be great!

Thanks very much :)