The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Ambitions vs Sims 4 Get to work

2...Next

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Ambitions!

It's bigger, better, allows more options and isn't linear and full of repetitive checklists like Get to work. It also gave us self employment which is awesome.
  • MusicalTheatreGEEKMusicalTheatreGEEK Posts: 6 New Member
    I like GTW, i just wished there were more active careers with it. When ambitions came out i LOVED the stylist and Architecture careers, both of them would have been a great addition to GTW. I also miss being able to register as self-employed, such a simple feature, i'm not sure why to this day they haven't added it in.
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    Get to Work feels more 'well built' than Ambitions did. Ambitions didn't really let us follow our sims to work, but instead just improved upon several base game jobs, and included various 'from home' jobs (the Interior Designer, Ghost Catcher etc.), whereas Get to Work provided us with 3 new jobs that felt as if we really could follow our sims to work AND also included a retail system, that I don't think is actually that bad!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    Get to Work feels more 'well built' than Ambitions did. Ambitions didn't really let us follow our sims to work, but instead just improved upon several base game jobs, and included various 'from home' jobs (the Interior Designer, Ghost Catcher etc.), whereas Get to Work provided us with 3 new jobs that felt as if we really could follow our sims to work AND also included a retail system, that I don't think is actually that bad!

Sculpting was new, inventing was new, firefighter was new (not the firefighter him/herself, but as a job it was), investigator was new, indeed the ghost hunter, the interior designer, the stylist. Firefighter and stylist had their own working area and didn’t work from home (the firefighter does when you’ve reached the highest level). As far as I know only the basegame doctor career was improved upon.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member

Ambitions also has a retail system via consignment shops.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    If the GTW Doctor career was more like the Vet career, I might say GTW to a point. But I like Ambitions as it had more careers. Been playing an investigatior so far and having fun.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • simfreakssimfreaks Posts: 38 Member
    I haven't played Sims 3 in quite a while. I think the professions were a little more exciting, as there aren't' really a lot of "Fun" things happening in GTW professions. It's more like Grinding in an MMORPG. These are click and wait professions...

I miss the level of humor that was more prevalent in Ambitions, the professions required more hands on work that was actually fun. You waited to find out what exactly was going to happen.

GTW ...My poor vampire was on a science track before he turned, and whenever he has to dig, he scorches in the sun. Work is pure torture for him. I think he needs to be able to play the stock market and invest in other businesses.

Also with GTW, there should be a way to send your sims to profession job without having to follow them. Hired another created sim at the vet clinic, but when I load his lot, he doesn't have a job, which is stupid, then when he takes his pet to the clinic, there is another sim there in his spot.

My sims seem to freeze a lot lately, and get confused with the action queue. I have had to reset them a few times because they stood blankly staring at the wall.
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    edited February 2018
    BeJaWa wrote: »

Those were really only places you could sell your items to a clerk, rather than a business you could run and sell items to customers.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Sculpting was new, inventing was new, firefighter was new (not the firefighter him/herself, but as a job it was), investigator was new, indeed the ghost hunter, the interior designer, the stylist. Firefighter and stylist had their own working area and didn’t work from home (the firefighter does when you’ve reached the highest level). As far as I know only the basegame doctor career was improved upon.

But apart from the firefighter and stylist, the other careers didn't have a job location, and really just consisted of sims going around the town running errands for other sims. I really enjoy the idea of going to my job and actually working for someone
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I enjoy Ambitions more.
    It could have been more polished, but I liked it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    BeJaWa wrote: »

Those were really only places you could sell your items to a clerk, rather than a business you could run and sell items to customers.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

But apart from the firefighter and stylist, the other careers didn't have a job location, and really just consisted of sims going around the town running errands for other sims. I really enjoy the idea of going to my job and actually working for someone
    Yes, I like that too in GTW. But you said the pack 'just improved several basegame jobs' (just one in fact, the rest was new) and there actually are two jobs (in GTW just one more) where you do follow your sim to work.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I like GTW, i just wished there were more active careers with it. When ambitions came out i LOVED the stylist and Architecture careers, both of them would have been a great addition to GTW. I also miss being able to register as self-employed, such a simple feature, i'm not sure why to this day they haven't added it in.

Seriously why do we not have a self employed option yet? It should've been patched in when GTW came out... But wasn't... Could've been patched in when dine out was released then.... Or when cats and dogs was released.
    I think i answered my own question. We will never get it at this point (yet another thing overlooked in s4....)
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Ambitions was a really fun expansion which added so many different things:

-5 active careers
    -1 rabbit hole career
    -expanded the doctor career
    -option for self employment for almost any skill (no matter if base game or from other expansions)
    -a beautiful world
    -2 (?) new skills
    -SimBot life state

Get to Work added:
    -3 active careers
    -the option to own a retail business
    -1 new skill
    -a tiny, boring world
    -Alien lifestate a 1-lot world

I think Ambitions had (much like any other TS3 expansion pack) more replay potential than TS4 Get to Work. I feel like the eps for TS4 are just made for one "story line" the devs imagine. As long as you play this story, you will have fun, but you don't have much room for creativity and imagination there. Unlike TS3, were you were just given tools to create your own story (I hope you know what I mean here ^^). I think it really depends on the playstyle of individual players here.

I must say I prefer the TS3 expansion packs overall, so TS3 Ambitions as well. But to everyone their own I guess.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I find Sims wiki is really good for information on packs. I'll link ambitions and gtw below for anyone interested at comparing them there.
    I personally enjoyed ambitions more, but I like gtw retail system better, I never use employees in it though which I have gathered can be quite buggy.
    Link to ambitions
    Link to gtw
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Several seem to be glossing over the retail aspect. For me that adds a significant chunk of gameplay. Even when I am not interested in actively playing retail, the ability to create shops is very important and also provides a place for my sims to "invest" their money.

For example, I have a legacy family who had a scientist who created several science serums, completed a collection, and her grandchild was a top Herbalist with several herbal potions. Now my plan is for the household to purchase a retail lot and move their collection and serums/potions to the store. I can move the collection out of the household, which is running out of room, and any other family can go purchase these items. Yes, I know it's possible to save a room with the collection/potions, but this fits in better with my gameplay.
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Several seem to be glossing over the retail aspect. For me that adds a significant chunk of gameplay. Even when I am not interested in actively playing retail, the ability to create shops is very important and also provides a place for my sims to "invest" their money.

For example, I have a legacy family who had a scientist who created several science serums, completed a collection, and her grandchild was a top Herbalist with several herbal potions. Now my plan is for the household to purchase a retail lot and move their collection and serums/potions to the store. I can move the collection out of the household, which is running out of room, and any other family can go purchase these items. Yes, I know it's possible to save a room with the collection/potions, but this fits in better with my gameplay.
    I don't like retail in the game myself but people who do like it have been using it as an argument. As for investing money in businesses, that's Sims 3 basegame I believe?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • 2tcn2tcn Posts: 58 Member
    Ambitions, hands down. The SimBots alone, for me at least, make it 10x more fun.
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    edited February 2018
    i prefer ambitions cuz we can explode everything up! :#
    alexandrea wrote: »
    I don't get how anyone can say Ambitions is better than Get to Work. Get to Work is so immersive and fun, and there's many things to do. :)

.... said no one ever
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2018
    Saarah06 wrote: »
    Ambitions! sims 3 had better expansion packs
    alexandrea wrote: »
    I don't get how anyone can say Ambitions is better than Get to Work. Get to Work is so immersive and fun, and there's many things to do. :)

Care to elaborate on your reasoning?

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    This is hard for me. There's cool things in both I enjoy. I enjoy the doctor career in GTW, but I also really loved the self employed jobs in Ambitions as well as the firefighter/architecture/salon stylist/ghost hunter/investigator. Ambitions also came with laundry/laundromats.

Let's see some of the things they have to offer..
    Get to Work
    • 3 active careers
    • aliens
    • baking skill
    • new world
    • retail
    • illnesses

Ambitions
    • 5 professions
    • self-employed jobs
    • new world
    • kids having bake sales
    • earthquakes
    • inventing/sculpting/tattooing skill
    • meteors
    • real estate
    • laundry/laundromats
    • new traits
    • simbots
    ...I know I probably forgot some stuff but these are key features

While I do enjoy both, Ambitions does beat GTW. It has way more stuff and it bothers me how the GTW lots are nonexistent unless your shift starts or if you have a baby at the hospital. Plus, I realize I miss the self-employed careers a lot...and looking back, I always made my sims self-employed whenever they became parents so they didn't have to worry about leaving their kids in the care of a sitter. But again, I love both but Ambitions does beat Get to Work without a doubt.
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀