Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any thoughts on The Sims 2 Stuff Packs?

WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
Many of them seem kind of... useless, especially in terms of the objects. I've got Double Deluxe, so I have Celebration Stuff. I want to buy the Happy Holiday Stuff and Mansion & Garden Stuff next.

Comments

• Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    I assume you don’t want to get the TS2 UC for free from Origin which includes everything. I found that all of the stuff packs added SOMETHING I liked. Even if small.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Many of them seem kind of... useless, especially in terms of the objects. I've got Double Deluxe, so I have Celebration Stuff. I want to buy the Happy Holiday Stuff and Mansion & Garden Stuff next.

Ya I agree with Rhiannon58, you should try for the UC if you wanted more, but it is up to you. Stuff packs are really just stuff. :D So if you like the stuff that comes with it, then it would be worth it, if not then ya it would be useless.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2017

I would skip M&G if I were you. It is another stuff pack that changes things like an EP would. So did Family Fun stuff act like a EP. M&G brings several bugs they never did fix. Mainly (my pet peeve) you can no longer place stairs if you have already built a wall, like put stairs next to a wall. This hurts building when just building normally and when using raise/lower land cheats. It's a pain the rear. It throws errors all the time to tell you stairs can't be placed, it's not the only bug it causes but that is the one that got on builders nerves the most after the stuff pack. Especially if they are advanced builders and used the land cheat often. Celebration also has some bugs they never fixed even in TS2UC, I would suggest skipping Kitchen and Bath (bugs) M&G (bugs) Celebration (bugs) Teen Life Stuff (bugs) none of the bugs in those stuff packs were actually patched and Double Deluxe doesn't actually have some of the EP patches either. (Sims can't get out of bed bug).

ETA: How I got around some of the stuff pack and DD bugs was to leave TS2 installed and all my EP patches, even when installing TS2UC, so I don't suffer some of them like the 'can't get out of bed' bug some may see with DD. ETA: Remove the EPs (uninstall) and leave base and all patches installed before installing TS2UC.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited December 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »

I would skip M&G if I were you. It is another stuff pack that changes things like an EP would. So did Family Fun stuff act like a EP. M&G brings several bugs they never did fix. Mainly (my pet peeve) you can no longer place stairs if you have already built a wall, like put stairs next to a wall. This hurts building when just building normally and when using raise/lower land cheats. It's a pain the rear. It throws errors all the time to tell you stairs can't be placed, it's not the only bug it causes but that is the one that got on builders nerves the most after the stuff pack. Especially if they are advanced builders and used the land cheat often. Celebration also has some bugs they never fixed even in TS2UC, I would suggest skipping Kitchen and Bath (bugs) M&G (bugs) Celebration (bugs) Teen Life Stuff (bugs) none of the bugs in those stuff packs were actually patched and Double Deluxe doesn't actually have some of the EP patches either. (Sims can't get out of bed bug).

ETA: How I got around some of the stuff pack and DD bugs was to leave TS2 installed and all my EP patches, even when installing TS2UC, so I don't suffer some of them like the 'can't get out of bed' bug some may see with DD. ETA: Remove the EPs (uninstall) and leave base and all patches installed before installing TS2UC.

You can still place the stairs next to walls. You just turn moveObjects on.

I haven't experienced all that many bugs and I've got all of the EP's and SP's installed via the UC. They didn't fix any bugs in the UC. Just packaged the game and existing patches together.

Edit: Not saying there aren't glitches. Just that they aren't all that common to make it worth skipping an SP over.
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Honestly I would say that M&G is the only stuff pack that I cared about having the stuff from, because the H&M stuff was mostly clothes and stuff for clothing shops (useful, but the majority of free cc is clothes...) Family Fun Stuff was cute but too hyper-themed for my taste, without any new functions or unique items, and Celebration Stuff was mostly wedding gear, so it didn't have enough utility for me to consider purchasing it on disc. (Holiday stuff I dislike because I want almost zero of the content and interactions actually in my game, but I'll put up with it for the sake of having all the others on the UC. ;) )
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    I really liked the stuff packs in TS2. When I tried to reinstall from the disks, my computer couldn't read some of them and I really missed them. So glad I have them back with the ultimate collection. I like them a lot more then the stuff packs in sims 3 and sims 4. My favorites are family fun stuff, celebration and M&G.
    edited December 2017
    Seera1024 wrote: »

I haven't experienced all that many bugs and I've got all of the EP's and SP's installed via the UC. They didn't fix any bugs in the UC. Just packaged the game and existing patches together.

Edit: Not saying there aren't glitches. Just that they aren't all that common to make it worth skipping an SP over.

Here is just a small example, there are many more.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,13399.0.html

Here is another where they 'forgot' to add Celebration cakes to the food cooler in OFB. This stuff matters.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,12532.0.html
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    It's been forever since I played TS2, but I remember being pleasantly surprised by M&G. Happy Holiday Stuff came with my game, so I always had it (I got it during the holiday special in 2006). It was fun!
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

Here is another where they 'forgot' to add Celebration cakes to the food cooler in OFB. This stuff matters.

I'm fully aware that the Sims 2 is a buggy game and that EA was more than willing to just pretend to be ignorant. Just that to me, none of the bugs that come with the Stuff Packs are bad enough to warrant not getting them. Especially not for free.

The only one that I ever experienced that was game breaking with a stuff pack they patched. The Family Fun Stuff patch where if you used an outfit in CAS that came from the pack, it disappeared from CAS. Like one time use only clothes.

That glitch and the stairs one is really the only ones I've ever registered that I've experienced due to my play style.

It is possible that due to the nature of Stuff Packs that I haven't triggered the glitches or the effect of the glitch didn't really bother me enough for it to permanently register as a glitch. It took well after Sims 2 was released and I stopped playing Sims 1 to learn that the police were supposed to arrest the Tragic Clown and not fine you for prank calling the cops if he showed up. I just avoided getting the clown all together once I figured out how I could (no Tragic Clown painting = no Tragic Clown ever).

Which is what I meant by common - they aren't things that everyone is going to run into or have an issue with. Someone who doesn't like running business in OFB would likely not care about the Celebration Stuff cakes not being able to be in the food cooler.
  • analumotta17analumotta17 Posts: 2 New Member
    Personally I never buy Stuff packs because,like @JULES1111 said,they're just stuff lol,I mean some new options of clothing and furniture won't really change the game.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I like them. I love the holiday ones! I also really like family fun stuff and the H & M one. Not forgetting the Teen pack too.

I'm fully aware that the Sims 2 is a buggy game and that EA was more than willing to just pretend to be ignorant. Just that to me, none of the bugs that come with the Stuff Packs are bad enough to warrant not getting them. Especially not for free.

The only one that I ever experienced that was game breaking with a stuff pack they patched. The Family Fun Stuff patch where if you used an outfit in CAS that came from the pack, it disappeared from CAS. Like one time use only clothes.

That glitch and the stairs one is really the only ones I've ever registered that I've experienced due to my play style.

It is possible that due to the nature of Stuff Packs that I haven't triggered the glitches or the effect of the glitch didn't really bother me enough for it to permanently register as a glitch. It took well after Sims 2 was released and I stopped playing Sims 1 to learn that the police were supposed to arrest the Tragic Clown and not fine you for prank calling the cops if he showed up. I just avoided getting the clown all together once I figured out how I could (no Tragic Clown painting = no Tragic Clown ever).

Which is what I meant by common - they aren't things that everyone is going to run into or have an issue with. Someone who doesn't like running business in OFB would likely not care about the Celebration Stuff cakes not being able to be in the food cooler.

This disassociation of packs started after Maxis handed to Redwood/The Sims Studio, TS2. And was evident in all the later packs after 2006.
  • Mango23Mango23 Posts: 19 Member
    Some of the stuff packs for The Sims 2 can kind of come off as being useless, but when they first came out all I knew is that I had to have every last one of them. I never got around to getting The Sims 2 Happy Holiday Stuff pack because I could never find it anywhere, and I'm kind of glad I couldn't, because that stuff pack in particular sucks in my opinion.
  • greenbean71greenbean71 Posts: 60 Member
    edited February 2018
    I have all of the SP's for Sims 2. I liked them because most of them I had before I knew how to download any CC and I would get tired of the same old hairs, clothing, etc. I would say my least favorite SP was M&G, it just didn't have much in it that I would use. My favorite SP's would be either Kitchen and Bath or Family Fun. I liked all the kitchen counters, etc and in FF, all the different bed options especially for the kids. I use the underwater themed one alot in my kids rooms.

Happy Holidays is good too because you can get the Sims in the Holiday spirit by having Christmas trees, the kids could wear Holiday PJ's, you could wallpaper in Holiday themes, and you could have "frosty" windows. Or you could set off fireworks. I remember one time I had a Sim light a small pack of firecrackers off and for some reason, it backfired and got my Sim charred. I laughed for awhile after seeing that.

• theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    The Fashion Stuff pack is brilliant. It adds clothes that I would actually wear IRL lol
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member

I had the "Sims can't get out of bed bug" but it was in version 2 of Double Deluxe and not the 1st version.
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
  • spoopyspoopy Posts: 21 New Member
    i rly hate all the clothes that came w/ these stuff packs
  • spoopyspoopy Posts: 21 New Member
    i basically hid them or replaced them w/ default replacements, especially those h&m, ew
  • Francais411Francais411 Posts: 34 Member
    I actually really liked H&M stuff because a lot of the clothes were MUCH cuter than other packs such as Glamour Life.
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    Stuff Packs for the Sims 2 were mostly just that giving you extra items, decorative, in the game. As far as I remember they didn't add much else except for the Family Fun Stuff (for kids). I think that one had a special interaction in it for kids. It's been over 10 years since I played the Sims 2 so it's hard to remember. Of course the Holiday Stuff did bring Santa and a whole lot of fun with themed items and Santa visiting.
  • theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    spoopy wrote: »
    i basically hid them or replaced them w/ default replacements, especially those h&m, ew

How could you not like the fashion stuff!?
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    edited February 2018
    I enjoyed it - I enjoy Sims 2 period. I see some disks on ebay but you can't play them without Origin... and I refuse to reinstall that on my pc.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    MadIris wrote: »
    I enjoyed it - I enjoy Sims 2 period. I see some disks on ebay but you can't play them without Origin... and I refuse to reinstall that on my pc.

You don't need Origin if you are using disks. If you download from there, there is a way to go around it, so you don't have to keep it installed after downloading. But we can't talk about that here. :D
  • 2tcn2tcn Posts: 58 Member
    I've always been indifferent to them.
    One thing I can say is that H&M Stuff has not aged well. :lol:
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    @2tcn wrote: »
    I've always been indifferent to them.
    One thing I can say is that H&M Stuff has not aged well. :lol:

It didn't even age well at the time- imo. There wasn't much that I liked in that pack- or the clothes in general. XD
    Sad but true. :(