Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Future of Sims Games.

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I wouldn't mind some type of limited optional online interaction in the next version, if there is one. Similar to Animal Crossing Pocket Camp where you get visitors and are able to view their inventory for items you need to complete tasks.

*Sigh* You mean like Simport? Where you couldn't gain something without someone else visiting your town to perform. No thanks.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I wouldn't mind some type of limited optional online interaction in the next version, if there is one. Similar to Animal Crossing Pocket Camp where you get visitors and are able to view their inventory for items you need to complete tasks.

*Sigh* Like how Simport was handled? Where you need to interact with others to gain something by allowing someone's Sim to visit your town...no thanks.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Zara wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 Not trying to exclude opinions from the forum..I'm trying to bring in new ones. So you want the game to target teens and up because you're not a kid and it doesn't appeal to you? Wow..I'm sorry but that was a very selfish thing to say. EA doesn't revolve around you nor exist to cater to ONLY you. Guess what? There are younger people who enjoy this game too! And you say I'm excluding opinions of others..

So many people are FOR multiplayer as well...so that gives me hope that it will happen :) But then again, EA isn't that responsive to their fanbase and what they want so I honestly doubt it'll come to fruition. I guess time will tell..
    Indeed, EA doesn’t revolve around me nor exists to cater only me, they are catering ‘young teen girls’ now (Drake). Which means I’m not buying their game anymore. But isn’t the OP’s question:
    CrownSims wrote: »
    What do you want for the future of Sims?
    (obviously nobody can predict the future, so speculate your own.)
    I’m not dictating EA what to do, I sure want them to listen to all opinions. The opinions of kids, of teens and the opinions of the dinosaurs. I don’t want to exclude any of the audiences they are making this game for where it comes to listening for advice. It’s up to them who they listen to. Not to the dinosaurs at the moment, that’s for sure ;) A solution could be two life simulation games (or even more). One for kids and teen girls and one for an older age group. I think they’d be amazed how well the second game would sell.

I thought they already did that. MySims for kids, TS2 for the dinos, and SimSocial for the in crowd/teen girls.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

*Sigh* You mean like Simport? Where you couldn't gain something without someone else visiting your town to perform. No thanks.

No not like that at all @Cinebar. In Animal Crossing you're not required to visit other players in order to complete goals. For example you may have three apples in your inventory and you need 4 in order to complete a task. You can wait a few hours until one of your apple trees bears more fruit, or you can use a special growing powder to immediately get more apples, or you can visit another player and buy one from their inventory. As I said it could be optional.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    We need more games beyond Sims 5.
    @JoAnne65 Not trying to exclude opinions from the forum..I'm trying to bring in new ones. So you want the game to target teens and up because you're not a kid and it doesn't appeal to you? Wow..I'm sorry but that was a very selfish thing to say. EA doesn't revolve around you nor exist to cater to ONLY you. Guess what? There are younger people who enjoy this game too! And you say I'm excluding opinions of others..

So many people are FOR multiplayer as well...so that gives me hope that it will happen :) But then again, EA isn't that responsive to their fanbase and what they want so I honestly doubt it'll come to fruition. I guess time will tell..
    Indeed, EA doesn’t revolve around me nor exists to cater only me, they are catering ‘young teen girls’ now (Drake). Which means I’m not buying their game anymore. But isn’t the OP’s question:
    I’m not dictating EA what to do, I sure want them to listen to all opinions. The opinions of kids, of teens and the opinions of the dinosaurs. I don’t want to exclude any of the audiences they are making this game for where it comes to listening for advice. It’s up to them who they listen to. Not to the dinosaurs at the moment, that’s for sure ;) A solution could be two life simulation games (or even more). One for kids and teen girls and one for an older age group. I think they’d be amazed how well the second game would sell.

I thought they already did that. MySims for kids, TS2 for the dinos, and SimSocial for the in crowd/teen girls.
    Exactly. More of that in the future please. (won’t surprise you I’ll add TS3 for the dino’s, if only they could mix it with 2 and turn it into a TS5 cocktail)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member

Exactly. More of that in the future please. (won’t surprise you I’ll add TS3 for the dino’s, if only they could mix it with 2 and turn it into a TS5 cocktail)

sounds like a pretty good cocktail to me. :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Keep The Sims going for years after TS5 please

Let’s not waste a good series :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited February 2018
    I honestly would hate if the sims became an online multiplayer game. I don't want to play with others in my own world that I create. I like controlling everything in my game. There are so many multiplayer online games that people can play and I just feel the sims shouldn't be one of them. I probably wouldn't play anymore and I've been playing the sims for sixteen almost seventeen years. Of course, everyone may have different opinions but I feel strongly that if they make the sims an online game that it will be the last of the sims.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    collegemommaof3collegemommaof3 Posts: 131 Member
    We need Sims 5 first; that should be the last Sims game ever.
    Sims 5 should be an interaction to let others all over be in one world.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

No not like that at all @Cinebar. In Animal Crossing you're not required to visit other players in order to complete goals. For example you may have three apples in your inventory and you need 4 in order to complete a task. You can wait a few hours until one of your apple trees bears more fruit, or you can use a special growing powder to immediately get more apples, or you can visit another player and buy one from their inventory. As I said it could be optional.

I see your point. I don't even like that. I love animal crossing but I don't like strangers in my town. Probably for the same reason I wouldn't like it in the sims, its my town, characters and I guess it just feels like someone is invading my space a little.

I hate games that also have an online drop in where people can randomly join your game. I know its optional but I would hate to see them try. Again.

If that's the future of the Sims series, stop the bus I want off!

That would be a yummy cocktail! *we can dream*

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I honestly would hate if the sims became an online multiplayer game. I don't want to play with others in my own world that I create. I like controlling everything in my game. There are so many multiplayer online games that people can play and I just feel the sims shouldn't be one of them. I probably wouldn't play anymore and I've been playing the sims for sixteen almost seventeen years. Of course, everyone may have different opinions but I feel strongly that if they make the sims an online game that it will be the last of the sims.

I wouldn't have purchased Sims 4, since it was said to be multi-player. It was only after they announced it would be single-player, that I even looked into what it had to offer.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited February 2018
    Sims 4 should be the last Sims game ever.
    If EA/Maxis/The Sims Studio no longer cares about making the best Sims game that the majority can be happy and content with, as was the case with previous iterations, then there's no real point in creating a video game just to have selfish motives and appeal only to a certain type of gamer than include everyone. 'TS4 is going back to its roots' really means 'This is the new The Sims reimagined how we want it.' So forget the hardcore players who helped support the series to even get this far. Forget the builders, forget the player's creativity with CASt, CAP and CAW, forget the open world, forget the actual simulation (Yeah, what's the point of classifying the game with the same life simulation genre then?), forget the freedom to play how you want and so on.

The Sims (2000) already had a winning formula during it's time and still is just as enjoyable now as it was then. The Sims 2 (2004) greatly improved and advanced a lot but never forgot what makes The Sims, The Sims. It expanded an already amazing foundation and one-of-a-kind game. The Sims 3 (2009) is the only game I know that can be classified as true life simulator as it does simulate than imitate to give an illusion. Even though TS3 should have been so much better in terms of being well optimized and taking a full advantage of the open world while still keeping true to the open shopping/dining aspect of TS/TS2. The game still achieved great success and built upon its foundation and never forgot its roots...mostly.

The Sims 4 (2014) brought no worthwhile major features to the franchise that has not already been done before and to top it off, even limits the creativity and freedom of every single player than any other Sims game to date. The only Sims game to retrogress. The only Sims game that forces players to play a specific way. The only Sims game to not truly improve and advance the series. The only Sims game to have an overly immature tone to go along with the over exaggerated actions/reactions and stylized art style. Let alone, the only one to have an art style and went all out toon world. The only one to lack a balance and is so one-sided that the scale always leans so. The only game to not honestly justify the price and has so little for so much $$$.

So my opinion is just let The Sims officially die already. There is no justice being done going on like this. And even if there will be The Sims 5...I won't care unless you prove you care about The Sims franchise and EVERYONE who supported this franchise.

This is why TS3 will always be, to date, the most advanced life simulator. There are no competitors as TS4 wasn't even trying to begin with and that is what I find a part of the problem. If I am going to spend money on a hobby, then it better be worth it or I'll look elsewhere for something that is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouH0G6-wK9g
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Sorry, @Deshong04 but Sims 4 is going to be with us for the foreseeable future. I've just read EA's Quarterly statement at investor.com and Sims 4 was surprisingly successful (player base 35% up). Reliable income for them.when Battlefront 2 failed them. "The Sims 4 had another extraordinary quarter................."
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @Simburian Even if it is true TS4 is successful by their standards it just goes to show what player base they are after. The Sims is dead to me because the franchise is stuck at a dead end and because all the supporters agree with that direction, The Sims will never again advance as technology has so much to offer for such a unique genre and game.

The progress will always be hindered and never keep aiming and reaching for the fullest potential. Since their target audience will support less than quality workmanship and still pay top dollar for little, let alone inferior content compared to past entries in the franchise, why go above and beyond? Less and mediocre is now more and accepted. The most desirable direction for The Sims future according to the developers and even more surprisingly the supporters. But hey, people at EA already know their fan base well. Unfortunately, for The Sims though it didn't end up like Sim City. Now that fan base didn't play around with EA and stood very clear about what is absolutely unacceptable. So now Maxis has returned to work on The Sims 4 and ruined that too. It's just a name right? A lot of different people, some of the same people and a lot of messed up mentalities to take advantage of the consumers. But that's the consumers fault so oh well. Businesses will do just that...business. It's rare to find a decent business but they are out there.

Truth is standards have dramatically lowered to the point that EA have got everything they need to succeed enough. It's like some are Meh while others just have to show all their emotions and let it all come out. :D:s:p:#:'(:/:(;):)o:):*:blush::smirk::mrgreen: But hey, that's why EA loves the Meh people. But not in a way where it's to say wholeheartedly, 'I appreciate you.' It's more like 'We have them all wrapped around our fingers. They fell for it and will again and again.' >:)

Food for thought. How does it make any sense to spend more money on something that has factually traveled backwards in time while not adding any major new and worthwhile gameplay at all? And what gameplay is offered is so shallow it will never be to the depth and detail of TS2 or TS3.

Emotions? What? Was people having a difficult time understanding what their Sims were feeling so they needed to be spoon fed and hey your Sim is feeling HAPPY right now. Oh no, now sad, oh no, now flirty, no no now angry...you know I don't know anymore because people in real life don't change this many emotions constantly throughout the day and if so something is seriously wrong. Not to mention emotions aren't new to TS but always made sense for a game imitating life. (TS/TS2/TS3)

Smarter Sims? Not really. But hey, they can say whatever and some will believe whatever even though the evidence and truth is staring straight at them.

New game engine that's so great? But how is TS3 game engine still the most advanced, gives the most freedom and creativity of all Sims game to date? So tell me what's so great again about this so-called new engine and why pay for something that's more expensive yet somehow is old technology?

Better CAS? Because you can push and pull even though sliders are the most accurate and easy to replicate exactly the same results with numeric slider value (Mod related). Though it's not difficult to go by looking at the position of the slider pointer.

Everything else is just minor things added but adds up to nothing to me when there isn't any major engaging gameplay to further support the smaller features. Basically, one huge bluff of a game using The Sims name in guise when the game is something else entirely. TS4 in a nutshell.
    square-peg.jpg
    Post edited by Deshong04 on
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2018

If I want to interact with people around the world I go on social media and forums - I play games to ESCAPE from the real world. I object to the real world invading my games period. I know people who don't even care to have any sims in their game that they did not make and add. I am not one of those as I like seeing the Maxis Sims in the game - but I would object to having sims in my game I cannot control or even delete if they annoyed me and why I never play MMO's or any online game where people bother you. I am one of those people who did try many online games and it is annoying to have people even start chatting with you. I had to shut off chat - then they started PM-ing me - so finally I said forget it and removed the games from my pc and removed all those people from my contact list.

There are just some places in this world where some of us just don't want to interact with others. It's to me like trying to read a book and somebody keeps talking to you. That is why we have forums and social chat areas and telephone if we want to communicate with others. Every where we go we are forced to communicate with somebody whether or not we want to - when I pay good money for my pcs and games for it - well that is ME time and I just won't buy any game - not even the sims that force me to share what little ME time I do get.

I am a very talkative person but even I have limits - and gaming is where I draw the line. I do not create my sims and world to interact in with any body but the sims I created. Want to talk - well call me - come by for coffee or tea - plan a party or we can go for lunch - I am all for it - just stay the heck out of my Sims games.

(ETA - I tested Sims online - hated it the first day - even tried all 4 versions and hated it - so don't even suggest it - I won't try it ever again. It was nothing like the Sims we play believe me.)

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 123 Member
    edited February 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

If I want to interact with people around the world I go on social media and forums - I play games to ESCAPE from the real world. I object to the real world invading my games period. I know people who don't even care to have any sims in their game that they did not make and add. I am not one of those as I like seeing the Maxis Sims in the game - but I would object to having sims in my game I cannot control or even delete if they annoyed me and why I never play MMO's or any online game where people bother you. I am one of those people who did try many online games and it is annoying to have people even start chatting with you. I had to shut off chat - then they started PM-ing me - so finally I said forget it and removed the games from my pc and removed all those people from my contact list.

There are just some places in this world where some of us just don't want to interact with others. It's to me like trying to read a book and somebody keeps talking to you. That is why we have forums and social chat areas and telephone if we want to communicate with others. Every where we go we are forced to communicate with somebody whether or not we want to - when I pay good money for my pcs and games for it - well that is ME time and I just won't buy any game - not even the sims that force me to share what little ME time I do get.

I am a very talkative person but even I have limits - and gaming is where I draw the line. I do not create my sims and world to interact in with any body but the sims I created. Want to talk - well call me - come by for coffee or tea - plan a party or we can go for lunch - I am all for it - just stay the heck out of my Sims games.

(ETA - I tested Sims online - hated it the first day - even tried all 4 versions and hated it - so don't even suggest it - I won't try it ever again. It was nothing like the Sims we play believe me.)

Hey, don't speak for all of us! You don't own the Sims. Personally, I wouldn't mind some form of in-game interaction between players. It makes the game more social.
    I'm you.
  • Options
    mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    edited February 2018
    We need Sims 5 first; that should be the last Sims game ever.
    "We need Sims 5 first; that should be the last Sims game ever."

I feel like they need a new fresh start and take the feedback they've heard about ts2/ts3 and ts4 and make one final version that goes on for more years than it's ever, keeping in mind things that've worked and not repeating what has had negative feedback mostly. Meanwhile, also putting out spin offs to the new version, for example, ts5 castaways available on pc/mac and different consoles including handhelds.

But of course, they are going to ride this out as long as they can to keep making money. Which is what you'd expect from a business I guess.

Maybe they can find a way to meet us in the middle next time around by giving us worlds that feel open (vampire world for example) that don't have as many loading screens, put back the color wheel and other things that feel are a must have once you've had them.

Then once they've gone as far as they can go with ts5, lay it to rest and work on an MMO lol, kidding. Imagine that, Sims MMO. Hmm.... lol.

Post edited by mommy19959699 on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    You wrote: »

Hey, don't speak for all of us! You don't own the Sims. Personally, I wouldn't mind some form of in-game interaction between players. It makes the game more social.
    Where exactly does she try to speak for you? Was it the constant use of the words ‘I’ and ‘me’ that got you confused? Or was it ‘some of us’?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Where exactly does she try to speak for you? Was it the constant use of the words ‘I’ and ‘me’ that got you confused? Or was it ‘some of us’?

I perceived that she was speaking for all of us (The Sims community). Relax, I'm not trying to pick any fights! We're all friends here.
    I'm you.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    You wrote: »

I perceived that she was speaking for all of us (The Sims community). Relax, I'm not trying to pick any fights! We're all friends here.
    "Hey, don't speak for all of us! You don't own the Sims" was friendly? The exclamation mark a token of being relaxed? I don't understand why you perceived she was speaking for all of us when she's clearly and specifically referring to herself in every sentence.
    There are just some places in this world where some of us just don't want to interact with others.

And as it happens also to me, but nowhere does she claim she is.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018

"Hey, don't speak for all of us! You don't own the Sims" was friendly? The exclamation mark a token of being relaxed? I don't understand why you perceived she was speaking for all of us when she's clearly and specifically referring to herself in every sentence.

You're making a big deal out of nothing. Also, I apologize if you thought I was trying to be "unfriendly". Because that was definitely not the intent.
    I'm you.
  • Options
    silentunionsilentunion Posts: 7 New Member
    So long as graphics and other technologies progress, I think there will always be room for sims games. That being said, that's also going to be based on how well EA does as a company throughout those years. I do think it is possible for companies to go down if they garner a bad enough reputation, so hopefully they get their act together if they want to be the company actually doing life simulator games instead of it being another company.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    On another note. The whole online and social aspect of a retry from TSO isn't necessarily a bad concept if done well and only if separate from the main games such as a spin-off. I saw TSO many years ago on the shelf, got excited but then when I read it was online just didn't care anymore put it down and walked away. A part of the reason that attracts me to TS is because it is single player which becomes my personal game and I don't want my game bombarded with nonsense because people are...well people and some of them don't know how to act.

It's also why as a kid I always preferred playing with Barbie by myself because my sister would always try to kill my Barbies while on the luxury cruise ship, my cousin always would have her Ken doll try to get with my Theresa doll who was already in a relationship and they were too. And her dolls would woohoo anywhere and everywhere. The only cool person to play dolls with was my mom who had an awesome wedding and she actually baked a delicious cake she decorated. That was amazing. :smiley: Oh yeah, there was my male cousin too but he quit playing because our grandmother was old fashioned and made him feel bad. :(

Anyway, point is that involving others in your personal imaginative world is usually a terrible idea for me. Because you no longer have any control over how you want things to play out. And why is that important? Because it's nice to escape the boundaries of real life and immerse myself in a fictional game world where I can make anything I want to happen or not with no external interference from others.

Also, yes it is true that many Sims players love to share their screenshots, stories, creations, etc but in no way does that mean most would want or would not mind others invading their game. That's a totally different ball game and is not related at all.

Unfortunately, the future of The Sims may end up being whatever EA wants it to be even if it's not what the majority wants. The Sims may never be The Sims again.

But at least I grew up with the greatest fond memories of TS/TS2/TS3. <3

I'll just be enjoying the open world with no loading screens. Now this is what a quality game, for the most part, looks and plays like. <3:mrgreen:
    Screenshot-2609.jpg
    Screenshot-2593.jpg
    Screenshot-2510.jpg
    Screenshot-2503.jpg

My current desktop background. It was a nice late honeymoon and eventually I'll like to plan a trip for them to go back some day as a romantic getaway. <3
    Screenshot-2504.jpg
    Post edited by Deshong04 on
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    I need Sims to very literally outlast humanity itself to feel ok with the future
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I need Sims to very literally outlast humanity itself to feel ok with the future

Well EA does own the domain and forums through Sims 10. So at least that is something.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....