Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the sims 2 better than sims 3? what's your opinion?

Comments

• SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited April 2017
    In fact I play most the sims 3 because of the open world and the open carreers that makes me addicted and the only thing I have in mind first opening my ts2 is decorating a house :'( I can't play Miss V in the sims 2 I would love to.

Except that the sims 2 is amazing I downloaded the sims pets life conversion of the pets contests with Rebbecah animations omg ! why they don't include this into the sims 3 instead of telling us there is dog gathering at the dog park nobody comes . Honestely I sometimes think the sims 3 is botched in some points of the gameplay, despite it improved a lot of stuffs so many interesting things we don't have at all.
    All the custom food from xnem and all you can find at modthesims2 we can cook etc easily whereas in the sims 3 we have to use mod I don't understand.

Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Simsophonique

I started with Sims 3 and never really thought about series 1 or 2 until I got 2 UC and started to play and was simply amazed at all the small animations I had always wanted in 3. Don't get me wrong I love the open world and the colour wheel in 3 but for actual gameplay itself I enjoy sims 2 sims more now.

I have almost all xnem's food including the dessert, hamburger, hot dog carts. I also love the cakes and pizzas that can simply be placed in community/home lots for sims to eat. My favourite place for the desert cart is either at a Starbucks style coffee house or an ice cream parlour using the functioning ice cream machine.

You can just see the ice cream machine in the pic below:

revamped_ice_cream_parlor_food_etc.jpgfree upload image
  • LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    edited April 2017
    LadyJester wrote: »
    In my opinion i think that the sims 2 is better than any of the other sims series. I play a lot of 4 now a days though but that still doesn't mean I find 4 better than 2.
    Just out of curiosity, why would you play 4 if you think 2 is better?

I'm really not sure these days about which is best. Not 4 for sure though :D

I always spent an awful amount of time on 2 and never had that same love again. But I do love the open world and cast in 3 and the fact that all sims age even if you do not play them.

I don't have a copy of the sims 2 for PC. I mean i could buy it online some where and I might one day. The sims 4 actually just reminds me a lot of the sims 2 in some ways. Right now I am fine with 4. I have no problems with it. This could also just me being biased because I did grow up with the sims 2 console and I loved the games. I played them for hours on my PS2. I kinda miss them. I actually didn't playing the sims 2 for PC until a few years ago. It did have a lot more freedom/gameplay to it compared to the console versions.

Edit: Wow also this post was from 2012....
  • karasuhimechankarasuhimechan Posts: 41 Member
    I think each has its pros and cons. I prefer the way sims 2 is at personalities and how simple it is to run everything on old computers. But ultimately what made me switch to the sims 3 is the aesthetics. The sims 2 faces are so difficult to mold the way I like...and genetics are also quite risky. There no create a sim after that first creation so you couldnt modify genetics afterwards...and plastic surgery could only go so far. I know theres custom content, but I was always wary of it orz
  • basslinewildbasslinewild Posts: 268 Member
    The only things I preferred in Sims 3 over 2 were the premade houses and Island Paradise EP.
    Tessa :)
    Gallery items under : TessaNicolle
    Check out my houses!
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited April 2017
    I think each has its pros and cons. I prefer the way sims 2 is at personalities and how simple it is to run everything on old computers. But ultimately what made me switch to the sims 3 is the aesthetics. The sims 2 faces are so difficult to mold the way I like...and genetics are also quite risky. There no create a sim after that first creation so you couldnt modify genetics afterwards...and plastic surgery could only go so far. I know theres custom content, but I was always wary of it orz

As you stated, Maxis did not provide the ability to edit sims after creation, but there are several mods (I use InSim's) which allow you modify your sims in CAS with a simple click. You should consider backing up your game and then trying out some of the mods out there... the best thing about TS2 was the developer community :love: They made the game so much better and the sims so much smarter!
  • AmusedShadowAmusedShadow Posts: 37 Member
    I really love both games, so it's rather hard for me to pick which one is better.

I think that the sim's personalities, AI, and animations are better in TS2. Love their reactions when someone cheated (it was very dramatic and fun to watch :D). Love the animations and interactions between sims, especially the animation ones. Love how smooth and fast the game was running on my old laptop. Love the CCs that were available (somehow the skins back then were amazingly realistic...) Love how spontaneous it was... Love the turn-ons, turn-offs, and that their personalities are influence by their zodiacs... Love the restaurants in which you can watch your sims order food and there would be a waiter bringing it out. Love that you could go shopping for clothes and the sims would go through the clothing racks. LOVE the babies and toddlers, they were so much more advanced than TS3's. Love that you can see your sim getting in and out of the car instead of magically jump into it... The gameplay was just flawless. There are just so many thing I love and miss from TS2 :) (Just talking about it make me want to install it again, but I don't think my current laptop can handle another sim game lol).

As for TS3... The open world is absolutely amazing (albeit it is very taxing on your computer if it's not a gaming rig), I love how you can go literally anywhere without loading screens, and that you can watch your sim drive around and then catch any bugs and critters you can see. The CASt is game-changing in The Sims series as it allows for unlimited creativity. I also like the favorite food, music, color, it adds a little bit more individuality to the sims, even though I would have liked the turn-ons and offs back :D I love that male and female sims now have 3 different voices to choose from, and you can adjust the pitch. Love the careers and how you can set the work tone for your sims while at work. Love the expansion packs and the store worlds (all of which are very beautiful.) And the CCs for TS3 are stunning. I'm able to create sims in the aesthetic style that I like with the right skins, clothes, and sliders, and this is the reason why TS3 CAS is my absolute favorite out of all the iterations. The interactions in TS3 are toned down somehow compared to TS2, but it's still fun to watch. Also I think TS3 sims are less emotional than TS2 sims, but that actually leaves me time to breathe because the reactions in TS2 were a bit too much for me to handle at times lol. To make up for that, I think the traits system work well because it influences the sims' behaviors and I like watching their autonomous interactions.

Both games have great things that the other one doesn't. When it comes down to it, I think it's just certain aspects from each game that are better, and which one I prefer to play at the moment. Just because I prefer to play one game right now (in my case, TS3) doesn't mean that it's the absolute better game.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited April 2017
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Simsophonique

I started with Sims 3 and never really thought about series 1 or 2 until I got 2 UC and started to play and was simply amazed at all the small animations I had always wanted in 3. Don't get me wrong I love the open world and the colour wheel in 3 but for actual gameplay itself I enjoy sims 2 sims more now.

I have almost all xnem's food including the dessert, hamburger, hot dog carts. I also love the cakes and pizzas that can simply be placed in community/home lots for sims to eat. My favourite place for the desert cart is either at a Starbucks style coffee house or an ice cream parlour using the functioning ice cream machine.

You can just see the ice cream machine in the pic below:

revamped_ice_cream_parlor_food_etc.jpgfree upload image

@SPARKY1922 I can't have the ice cream machine I know it because it makes my computer crash . Ha these foods they are so realistic I got them all ahaha and the lasagnas I liked to place in the centre of the table. Do you also have the pastries from sims2designavenue? I love them as well ! I even tell you they are in fact Italian Icrecream machine ahah. o:)
    I currently don't use them but soon I will do.
    I just sometimes frustrated that we don't have open carreers because it brings awesome additions to the game . I also miss the traits despite I like the turn on/turn off halas we don't have enough choices.
    Oh I remember I had a lollipop vending machine but I have no ideas to find it because I lost it and I never had the chance to get it back. :'(
    I agree with you about the interactions are better and the gameplay itself is equal and the additions some modders made/makes are awesome I don't get them all but most of them are great . I got happiness the few time I played ts2 recently and this game never cease to amaze me. Really !
    Despite when your game crash in the sims 3 you never play the same story , in the sims 2 yes.
    TSOriginal is funny and there are good things inside but sadly is it repetitive as ts4 is.

Your pink café is awesome.

I started with ts original ts2 was a revolution.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    Yes sims 2 is better with out question I just can't stand how ugly the sims are in sim 3
  • LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    Sims 2 is my bae :lol: sims 3 nuh uh uh. Liked the open world and gameplay but couldn't get past the weird sims faces and hair!! Not even sims 4 can top sims 2 for me. And I love sims 4 graphics but sims 2 has way more charm.
  • ArriesArries Posts: 58 Member
    I am one of those that really actually likes 4, so that where I spend most of my game time. That being said, I still love playing 2, but I find 3 to be borderline unplayable now. I played it a ton when it was the current game, but I can't stand it now.
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    edited November 2017
    I think The Sims 3 is better, mostly because of Create-a-Style. It drove me nuts in The Sims 2 (and The Sims 1) when objects didn't match and ruined the aesthetic of a room or house.
    in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    I just love it that this thread has been popping back up for over five years. It gives those of us who still play TS2 or played/loved TS2 a chance to talk about our passion. I loved TS2 from the time it came out. I had played TS1 but it was so long ago, I really don't remember much about it. TS2 had me hook, line and sinker. Then the great computer crash of 2007 (8?) took away all my game files. I got TS3 shortly after it came out and it definitely didn't fit within my play style. It was hard on my mid level machine, bugs and crashes happened all the time. I liked a few things like the gardening update from TS2 but the inability to control my families turned me off. Then TS4 came out. I purchased it early this year but after finding out the bugs and such, and THEN finding out about the FREE TS2 Ultimate?

That was it for me. Got it installed and with the help from our incredible resource Jules1111, got it running and looking BEAUTIFUL. I'm happily simming away, enjoying everything as though it was brand new. Reading back from all these years of comments, it seems clear that one of the main reasons WE feel TS2 is better than TS3 (and TS4) is the depth of the game. There are endless things to do. There are endless surprises after many years of playing. It fits EVERYONE'S play style (you actually have choices) and the bugs? I haven't seen any in the month since I've been back playing. Sure can't say that about TS3 and TS4. And before you tell me you have a choice on rotational play in TS4, not for me. I found a bug that the tech team hasn't responded to for month. I had babies born while not playing families. Mom didn't age while pregnant (what?). So if you had a mom pregnant all the time, her husband would end up 15 years older than her.

Anyway, glad to still have this amazing game around to enjoy for many more years to come!
  • MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    No... even though I'd like to give Sims 2 another chance but since I uninstalled Sims 4 I no longer need nor want Origin. Too bad you can't play it on disks alone like 3.
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    edited November 2017
    I love both games but TS3 is my favorite. I have my old original TS2 disc box and a lot of its EPs, so I could try and get the UC if I wanted to. But nah... The sims is not the only game I play and going back to a game that's more than 13 years old is not my thing. So if I wanted to play the sims, it would have to be TS3 or TS4.

And the last time I installed my TS2 discs on my laptop a couple of years ago, the game was laggier than TS3. :neutral:
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    DyingLight wrote: »
    I love both games but TS3 is my favorite. I have my old original TS2 disc box and a lot of its EPs, so I could try and get the UC if I wanted to. But nah... The sims is not the only game I play and going back to a game that's more than 13 years old is not my thing. So if I wanted to play the sims, it would have to be TS3 or TS4.

And the last time I installed my TS2 discs on my laptop a couple of years ago, the game was laggier than TS3. :neutral:

That's usually because of Securom... but either way, I'm glad you've still got a love of TS3 - personally I gave up on owning anything newer than TS2 due to the number of technical issues I had getting friends started on TS3, my computer specs at the time couldn't have dealt with it.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    The Sims 2 is the best Sims game ever. But I won't deny that I'm in love with TS3. So for me TS3 is the best.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Sims 2, a hand tied behind the back, blinded and deaf.
  • ToxicFumeToxicFume Posts: 2 New Member
    Everybody says Sims 3 was better in graphics but I still believe Sims 2 was pretty good especially with custom content. Sims 3 was very enjoyable, I couldnt stop creating sims in the create a sims mode.
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    I prefer the TS3. I played the TS2 and TS4 but it really lacked. A lot.
  • greenbean71greenbean71 Posts: 60 Member
    TS2 is much better than TS3 IMO. TS2 had more of a human aspect to it. They could get angry, sad, excited, happy, and scared all within a Sim day, which to me seems like a human element and can happen in a day in real life. Sure, you get that in TS3, but it's more of a mechanical, emotions by the book, kind of way. You felt really sorry for Sims in TS2 when they were sad when a friend or family member died, or if a burglar broke in and stole stuff. In TS3, their reactions are so mechanical, you don't feel as sad for them. It is almost like their sorrow is fake, like on a bad sitcom with bad actors.

The world in TS2 was simple and quiet. TS3's world seemed to chaotic. The outside of the houses looked awful. Sims looked like cartoons. Way, way too many bugs and glitches. I really hated the idea of everyone outside of the lot you were playing to age up, and then pass on. Trying to use CC was like pulling teeth to get it to work. There are may other things that I dislike, but these are some of the big ones.

TS3 isn't a horrible game, it just lost personality compared to TS2. I have played TS3 numerous times but still can't play it for too long. It just doesn't hold my interest like TS2 does.
  • ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    I started off with Sims 2, so it will always be my favorite.The graphics were alright but the gameplay was so much fun because they had unique content even though some of it was cliche. For example, the camping trip in Sims 2 had everything Sims 4 has and more. They had local gestures and dances to learn, photo albums, bigfoot, natural hot springs, etc. Sims 2 thought more about the experience for your sims and the storytelling aspect (that sims 3 and 4 are missing, in my opinion). I would always get so excited with expansion packs because I never felt ripped off and I would love seeing the little booklets with all the content we received! lol I also miss the memory system that they had. It was easier to track what my sims did and who they met (unlike now where they forget everything). I did like the open world in sims 3, but once I started adding more content, it would lag and it would take my sims forever to get around to places. If I would leave the house at 6 am, I wouldn't get to a festival until 7 pm... so it was frustrating. I also didn't like the rabbitholes in Sims 3, because I actually enjoy watching my sims participate in activities, not just send them to buildings. All of them have pros and cons, but more than 10 years later, I still prefer sims 2. :D
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

• Mango23Mango23 Posts: 19 Member
    The Sims 3 may be better realistically-wise, being that it has an open world and better graphics, but gameplay-wise the Sims 2 on PC was phenomenally better. Also, I know that The Sims 3 has more stuff and expansion packs than The Sims 2, but that's one of the reasons The Sims 2 is better because it had less content than The Sims 3 and still came out on top, in my opinion that is.
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited March 2018
    So much better. I don't even like sins 3.

*sims* lol....
    Post edited by TheHarbinger_51 on
  • spoopyspoopy Posts: 21 New Member
    yes, yes it is